7.9

1. Oct 31, 2013
    This may be the best Rune Factory or Harvest Moon yet. I can nary find anything wrong with it, and I just can't stop playing. I tried to start playing Pokemon X, but couldn't give up Rune Factory to do it. There's so much to do, so much variety, great characters, a charming story. The controls are really well done, there's no stupid touch screen controls like previous Harvest Moon games. It's very difficult to get bored, as you're constantly looking for more time to do things; to spend a day giving gifts to all the villagers or to expand your farm or to do all the requests or to go dungeon crawling or to go out into the map and forage... If only this game were more popular in the mainstream and not consistently overshadowed and labelled "niche". There's are lots of dungeon crawlers, lots of action RPGs, and some sim games out there all of which could benefit from the influence of Rune Factory. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2013
    A fantastic game and much better than any other Harvest Moon style game we have yet to get on 3DS.. Thankfully someone still knows how to do this right!.. I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome the game is as the early screens looked sub par.

The graphics may be modest but its in the charm and solid gameplay mechanics where this game shines brightly. Unfortunately with the latest
    installments of Pokemon overshadowing the release of this game I am worried it wont get the attention it deserves. I can personally say that I have both and have found plenty of time to enjoy the two of them simultaneously.

My only gripe with the game is the forceful heterosexual gameplay. Where there could have easily existed relationships between the characters of the same gender the developers have opted not to allow it. This however is a minor concern and not one that effects the games score in my mind.

I know you are probably all still drooling over Pokemon as am I but this little gem from Xseed deserves some of your attention as well this month
  3. Nov 11, 2013
    My fears before buying Rune Factory 4 were that it would be too easy and that the farming/sim aspects from Harvest Moon would be overshadowed by the dungeon crawling. But both elements are very well done! On hard mode, the challenge is akin to Dark Souls or Monster Hunter and the farming is as good as any of the Harvest Moon games, maybe even better.

The characters, in contrast to the
    down to earth types from the HM games, are very anime/RPG inspired which might turn some people off. Personally, I found everyone to be charming and it wasn't too long before I felt like a part of the community.

The numerous cliches are quite satirical and entertaining if you are a fan of JRPGs. The story actually gets pretty good later on, which was a nice surprise.

The graphics could be better. The 2d portraits are nice but the 3d is lackluster. After playing this fro a bit, I bought Rune Factory Frontier and the graphics in that game are so nice compared to RF4. I hope the next portable installment gets the Frontier treatment. It's not a big deal though and it still looks great compared to the previous Rune factory games on the DS.

This is a great game that I recommend to anyone who has ever thought: "Harvest Moon is really fun, but I want to fight monsters too!"
  4. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is absolutely fantastic. If you're a fan of Rune Factory or Harvest Moon games, then this is definitely a game to check out. The storyline in this is a lot more in-depth than the other games, and there's a LOT more content for you to explore and discover. In Rune Factory 3, for example, I had NO problems rushing through the dungeons. In Rune Factory 4, however, they provide a challenge that makes it fun to go through and not just cream everything. Strategy is needed, and it is great. The farming and other aspects of the game like crafting and cooking are very well done, too. Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    As a Rune Factory Fan This is for sure the best entry of the series, they solve many of the problems from previous games making it more easy to play and understand for newcomers but keeping all the elements that give personality to rune factory.
    Charming characters, a simple but nice story that fits perfectly, I love the character progression and the new Romance system, My only complain?
    you can seriously lose track of time with this game, before i knew it it was already 3:20 A.M and I'm serious when I say that this don't happen just once, If you are tired of the same RPG formula and looking for something different, give it a try and enjoy the world of Rune Factory. Expand
  6. Jan 18, 2014
    The Rune Factory Series has only improved with time. Rune Factory 4 brings about a whole new level of interactivity between the protagonist and the towns people in which he or she lives. The story while overall liner has no time limit and you are encouraged to develop relationships with the people within the community. The more you help them the more they help you to where you can take them with you as allies to fight battles. So if your looking for a good sim/action adventure this is something that you will enjoy. Expand
  7. Feb 22, 2014
    I have played all the DS games of Rune Factory, and i was addicted to it. It was like i was in a game, a very unique one. And when i heard there was Rune Factory 4, i bought and played it and it didn't disappoint me at all. There were new stories, new additions and the characters were different. And also we can choose our gender. I also like the cut-scenes. But the sprites weren't really something i was fond of, some was not really good and felt like it was forgotten, but i still like the art. And the swimming clothes and pajamas weren't all that different, some looks the same.

But there was also the dating system, which i really love. It made me felt like i was the one dating the character and it felt really romantic, like a real love story.

What i would like the most was better sprites, more talking with different topics, and the 3D characters could have more expressions and i would like to see a more bigger world, and also it's better if i could see the characters face and body more.
  8. Nov 11, 2013
    A good change of pace to the other RPG's out there. I played Rune Factory Frontier on the Wii, and this is a definite step forward for the franchise. Where Frontier was murky and confusing on how to progress the main story, Rune Factory 4 is clear and concise. The farming and town aspects are fun and are something you just don't see in other games (obvious Harvest Moon comparison excluded). If you're an RPG fan and looking for either a solid next RPG, or something a little different from the status quo, this is a good place to look. Expand
  9. Jan 4, 2014
    Awesome game. This is a mix of an RPG strategy simulation game. It is super fun to interact with monsters and people to make a good adventuring party. The only reason it is a 9 instead of 10 is it gets slightly repetitive after a while and the graphics are only okay. But some people may like the graphics, it is just a personal thing i guess. Anyways overall it is a great game. Must have if you like strategy RPG's. Expand
  10. Feb 21, 2014
    This was my first rune factory game, recommended to me because of my large Harvest Moon collection. I was skeptical, but I have to say I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. There isn't a real 'story' progression besides developing the town and finding romance, but that's to be expected. I also wasn't surprised that you can only be in heterosexual relationships, but it's still a bit of a downer. Over all, it's extremely fun to play and many hours can go into it before it gets boring. Expand
  11. Apr 23, 2014
    Having only played Rune Factory 1, I was absolutely blown away at the improvement in Rune factory 4, and I will find it tough to go back to 2 and 3 when I'm done.
    This game plays much more fluidly than Harvest Moon and everything just seems... right. I haven't played Harvest Moon in months thanks to this game.
    If you enjoy farming but hate the monotony of Harvest Moon, this is the game
    for you. I hope there will be another installment to this franchise or I will be incredibly sad. Expand
  12. May 25, 2014
    The game graphic is slightly better than rf3 , but the story is extended for sure , the content of the game is more than i expected , you can even fight the boss over a thousand level , forging you weopon like monster hunter , buying new tools like harvest moon friends in mineral town , do some side quest , increase the friendship , fighting with boss......... I wish for a BETTER GRAPHIC , MORE DRAMATIC STORY AND A KISS SCENE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  13. Jun 28, 2014
    This is the best Rune Factory . It's too bad it won't be released in Europe and all of us who want to play it must buy a 3ds from Japan or North America. There's plenty of things to do and you'll never get bored. The romance system is very good and the characters are lovely. Overall, Rune factory 4 is a very charming and fun game.
  14. Jul 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rune Factory 4 was the first Rune Factory/Harvest Moon game I've ever played, and I'm still astounded at the sheer value of this game. The farming-based gameplay proves to be a nice, but not tiring, system and acts as a great compliment to the dungeon-crawling action on the other end of the spectrum. As a large fan of JRPGs in general, I was surprised that a game like Rune Factory 4 could go under the radar for so long! With regards to the story and characters, there's nothing too groundbreaking there, but each character feels unique and the liveliness of the community is simply infectious. From taming monsters to forming parties (everyone in the village can become a party member) to romancing one of 12 bachelors/bachelorettes to managing your farm to cooking and collecting treasure, there is just so much to do in this game! Not to mention the surprising depth behind crafting and cooking beyond the relatively simple surface. One thing that I feel doesn't get mentioned too much in these reviews is that the story of this game is divided into three arcs, with the last arc featuring insane super-dungeons and bosses. Furthermore, festivals and random town events offer frequent breaks from the regular day-to-day activities of the town. Overall, Rune Factory 4 is an excellent and refined product that can be enjoyed by a wide array of people. Expand

1. Jan 10, 2014
    I spent 70 plus hours in Selphia — and I could've easily spent 70 more.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Unsurprisingly, Rune Factory IV doesn’t need its much-vaunted combat side to get by. In fact, it’s more than interesting enough without it. What with its impressive writing, ridiculous variety of activities, and leisurely pace, Rune Factory IV‘s a nice break from the more hardcore crowd.
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    Rune Factory 4 is probably the most polished and well-crafted Rune Factory to date.