Star Fox 64 3D 3DS

8.1

1. May 22, 2012
    I never got a chance to play the original Star Fox 64 so I'm really happy that they remade this for the 3DS. It's a blast to play and packs a few fun modes and has such high replay value that it ensures that it will stay in your 3DS for a very long time. I think the multiplayer could have been better, and the campaign is pretty short, the high replay value and multiple paths will keep youI never got a chance to play the original Star Fox 64 so I'm really happy that they remade this for the 3DS. It's a blast to play and packs a few fun modes and has such high replay value that it ensures that it will stay in your 3DS for a very long time. I think the multiplayer could have been better, and the campaign is pretty short, the high replay value and multiple paths will keep you coming back to it, and the multiplayer does only require one person to have the game do to download mode. The Score Attack mode which has you playing through campaign levels again for high scores is also strangely addicting, the 3DS version also supports Gyroscope controls which work well, but I personally preferred to play without them, along with new gorgeous updated graphics that look even better in 3D (seriously this game is made better in every way with 3D effect turned on). This game is awesome with cool bosses and the most insanely crazy final boss of all time (it will freak you out), missions, and gameplay. So if you missed it the first time around like me, do yourself a favor and pick this awesomely cool game up. Expand
  2. Feb 19, 2016
    While an improvement of the original Star Fox 64, this Star Fox manages to nerf the greatness from 64 down and even when it does, your outrageous playtime keeps this game from being a disappointment.
  3. Dec 29, 2011
    Awesome remake of what I consider to be the best N64 game of all time, the only issue I can thin of is that there is nothing new in this game at all. Not that the original game needed anything new to warrant a re-release, it would have been nice to see Nintendo go the extra mile and maybe add in a few new levels and online play, the later of which is a huge letdown. Still the originalAwesome remake of what I consider to be the best N64 game of all time, the only issue I can thin of is that there is nothing new in this game at all. Not that the original game needed anything new to warrant a re-release, it would have been nice to see Nintendo go the extra mile and maybe add in a few new levels and online play, the later of which is a huge letdown. Still the original experience has stuck with me till this day and I remember fondly when I was a kid playing this thing from dusk till dawn. If for nothing else, the nostalgia factor alone would warrant buying this game. However I can't give it a perfect score because of the things I mentioned above and the 3D is pretty hit or miss on most levels. It's still usable most of the time, unlike some other 3DS games that have been released so far. Everyone who owns a 3DS should buy this game because it really is that fun. However your most likely going to get more out of the single-player than anything else because of the lack of online play. Still, if you own the system, this is easily in the top 5 of best games on the system. Buy it today. Expand
  4. Jan 10, 2013
    Breathtaking 3-D. Engage in blistering laser-streaked ariel combat
  5. May 27, 2016
    As a first time player Star Fox series i had a lot of fun mainly because the game-play is addicting and the graphics for the remake of the N64 version is fantastic almost identical to the new version of the series. However the story is short although there are three different ways to go at it Overall, just like Ocarina of Time Nintendo really put time into the development of this game. andAs a first time player Star Fox series i had a lot of fun mainly because the game-play is addicting and the graphics for the remake of the N64 version is fantastic almost identical to the new version of the series. However the story is short although there are three different ways to go at it Overall, just like Ocarina of Time Nintendo really put time into the development of this game. and in that it deserves praise and game time from all around gaming players, Expand
  6. Apr 12, 2012
    Star fox 64 3D is an awesome space-shooter game that has incredible graphics & 3D, fun game-play and a great soundtrack. The land master missions aren't quite as good as the other missions, but hey, they're still great! I've never experienced the apparent glory of the original Star fox 64, but i truly love the 3DS remake.
  7. Sep 9, 2011
    This was one of nintendo 64 best game and now its on the 3DS. One of the year best 3ds games. SO far this is the best 3d effect game. If you have a 3ds this is the game to get. There is no doubt , get it. It is worth the money.It has a lot of level and very fun to play. If you loved the 64 version then you will love this version even better.
  8. May 15, 2012
    Now this is a remake done with class. They have got the original game here, it even looks like the original, except with incredibly awesome graphics, there were some points that surprised me by how good they looked. Everything from the original is here, except from the very hard to unlock multiplayer mode from the original. If you liked the original, you will love this. If you haven'tNow this is a remake done with class. They have got the original game here, it even looks like the original, except with incredibly awesome graphics, there were some points that surprised me by how good they looked. Everything from the original is here, except from the very hard to unlock multiplayer mode from the original. If you liked the original, you will love this. If you haven't played the original you will love this. The only problem is that it's very short, but you will play it through at least 3 times in order to have played all the levels, 3 times on hard (N64) mode if you wish and you have multiplayer (no online or unlock-able on-foot mode) and the ability to play through each level in order to get the highest score you can. All in all, this is a very good game that all 3ds owners should have at least tried. Expand
  9. Mar 18, 2016
    What do you expect? A complete port of the N64 game, with nicely update graphics? Well yes, that's what you get here.

In much the same way that Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask have been remade in glorious 3D with polished graphics, this represents Nintendo doing a re-release properly. Well, almost.... For some reason Nintendo continue to pander to people who want zero challenge

For some reason Nintendo continue to pander to people who want zero challenge from their games, and in Star Fox 64 3D they have provided a new version that essentially makes everything easier for people who want that... fortunately they have also included the classic, proper N64 version so that those of us familiar with the game can enjoy it as we knew it.

Now it's in the Nintendo Classic range at €19,99 there's no reason not to enjoy the game, with its multiple paths. It's short and sweet, and well worth your time. You'll be picking it up for years to come - as proved by the fact it's already almost 20 years old!
  10. Jul 21, 2014
    A great port, bringing all the thrills of the N64 classic but unfortunately also the game's short duration.

The presentation has been spiced up with the graphics notably improved, particularly the water/ground detail. The sound effects are as fantastic as ever and the voice acting as cheesy (yet lovable) as it was a all those years ago. The music is great too, really adding a sense of scale to the game.

Unfortunately that scale isn't there in the content. With the main game being completable in under an hour! Taking all the alternate routes and completing the hardest route will likely take an extra 2 or three hours depending on your skill level but that still makes for a very short game. If you're the high score type you'll be constantly coming back for more due to the new score attack option and the medals you can earn in each level (which are very challenging). The rest of us however won't find much to come back for other than to play the game through again for the pure enjoyment factor (which I do regularly).

The gameplay is as great as ever, barrel rolling, summersaulting and u-turning feel fantastic. As does plucking enemies out the sky. The story isn't going to win any awards but is a cheesy in a loveable way and the 4 main characters make a great team, even if your team-mates are useless most of the time! The multi-player is good fun and can be done locally with just one copy of the game using download play. Online play isn't included unfortunately as this could have been a lot of fun and improved the replay value of the title considerably. The ability to save is worth noting! Something missing from the original meaning runs had to be completed in one go. The addition of an easier '3DS mode' is welcome too, providing an easier option for the less experienced gamers out there. 'N64 mode' provides all the challenge of the original!

Overall this port improves upon the original graphically and in the availability of modes as well as the option to save. It's some of the best fun that can be had on the 3DS but is held back by the very short game length and limited replay value unless you are the type to go chasing high-scores and earning medals on missions (in which case you'll have plenty to do).
  11. Sep 11, 2011
    This was one of the Highlights of the N64 and now they are bringing it back to the 3DS, and it uses the capabilities better that OOT, with missiles, lasers and more shooting at you RIGHT OUT FROM THE SCREEN!!!
    If you even slightly liked the N64 Original, then you will love this: get it. I say it's worth up to 40 quid, cause I think its better than OOT 3D. Yes, I know there are only 15 levels. Yes, I know you only play through 7 of them... BUT this has got some AMAZING replay value: 7 stages, takes 3 runs to play all stages, then play it on N 64 Mode, Expert Mode, 3DS gyro on and 3DS gyro off, already gives you an excuse to play this AT LEAST 12 times over.
  12. Apr 21, 2015
    Brought rom the 64 to the 3DS, we once again follow the anthropomorphic fox, Fox Mcloud and the star fox team, Slippy Toad, Falco Lombari, and Peppy Hare as they take on the veniacle Andross from taking over the Lylat system, consisting of 7 campaign levels with multiple branching paths. The system consists of Corneria, Macbeth, Katina, Zoness, Titania, Venom, Fortuna, Solar, & Fachina andBrought rom the 64 to the 3DS, we once again follow the anthropomorphic fox, Fox Mcloud and the star fox team, Slippy Toad, Falco Lombari, and Peppy Hare as they take on the veniacle Andross from taking over the Lylat system, consisting of 7 campaign levels with multiple branching paths. The system consists of Corneria, Macbeth, Katina, Zoness, Titania, Venom, Fortuna, Solar, & Fachina and not mention 6 other sectors to liberate, while also fending off Andross mercenaries Star wolf. Expand
  13. Feb 18, 2012
    I can easily go along with all of the positive and mixed reviews here. The game's 3D is astounding and the story and alternate missions provide a good challenge. Yes, I realize that this game is short and I beat it one day after I got it, but the multiplayer and medals system makes up for that. Well done over all.
  14. Dec 6, 2011
    The original star fox 64 is my favorite game of all time and the ONLY game I have given a 10 so far. Is the remake any better? Well somehow, its possible to have a personally perfect game, be more perfect it seems! Star fox 64 3DS is a must have for all fans of shooters and sci fi, the visuals have been enhanced and they are the best the 3DS has to offer, the gameplay is very variedThe original star fox 64 is my favorite game of all time and the ONLY game I have given a 10 so far. Is the remake any better? Well somehow, its possible to have a personally perfect game, be more perfect it seems! Star fox 64 3DS is a must have for all fans of shooters and sci fi, the visuals have been enhanced and they are the best the 3DS has to offer, the gameplay is very varied featuring different paths to take, getting medals is a challenge, and expert mode even more. This is the perfect game to have portable that you can quickly play and enjoy at the moment. Soundtrack is excellent and voiceovers and story very engaging. Slippy is annoying (not as annoying as Jar Jar Binks of course) but can't help but love the fact as well. Is simply beautiful, I just need a sequel now. A really long game doesn't mean its a good one, because in the ending parts you will get tired no matter how great a game like that is. This game you can play it and will play it many times! Expand
  15. Feb 4, 2012
    Another re-mastered classic on the 3DS and it is amazing how improved the graphics look in this game. The controls even feel more natural. The gyro controls are nice but very forgettable. The addition of a battle mode and score attack give this game a high replay value. With that being said, it is a very short game and can be beaten easily under one hour. The alternate paths withinAnother re-mastered classic on the 3DS and it is amazing how improved the graphics look in this game. The controls even feel more natural. The gyro controls are nice but very forgettable. The addition of a battle mode and score attack give this game a high replay value. With that being said, it is a very short game and can be beaten easily under one hour. The alternate paths within missions also offer great replay value but there is a lack of challenging boss fights. That's not to say all the boss fights come up short of course. It holds true to the original and has found a new home on the 3DS and with a new generation. Expand
  16. Apr 15, 2012
    This game was really good and plus this has been my first to play this game because I have never played this on any other system the multi-player mode was pretty good.
  17. Sep 15, 2011
    This is the ideal 3DS game: Great 3D effects, short and tricky levels, pretty much perfect controls, a great storyline and voice acting and of course, fun. I've only played it for a good 30 minutes, but..well... it's just great. Don't know why I'm not giving it a 10, but 9 seems like the perfect score for it.
  18. Sep 9, 2016
    (This review is gonna be SUPER long, so in summary, go do yourself a favour and buy this game NOW)

Damn Son You know when this came out i was like "eh whatever idc i mean it'll make the Star Fox fans happy" basically kinda brushed it off, at the time i owned the SNES one and while i thought the music and sound design was great, the game itself wasn't, so i let Star Fox 64 3D pass by

Damn Son

You know when this came out i was like "eh whatever idc i mean it'll make the Star Fox fans happy" basically kinda brushed it off, at the time i owned the SNES one and while i thought the music and sound design was great, the game itself wasn't, so i let Star Fox 64 3D pass by in favour for other games i wanted such as Resident Evil Revelations, Super Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time 3D.

While all those games are good in their own right, i'm an idiot for passing up Star Fox 64 3D.

This game is FANTASTIC. Gorgeous Graphics, slick gameplay, excellent sound design, good amount of content and creativity and most important excellent difficulty balancing. It's just so good and is absolutely worth your time 100%. Such polish and presentation, it's really something to be admired.

Here's some specifics on the goods and the bads

The 3D is pretty good.Be prepared to never hear me talk about the 3D feature again cause i dislike it tbh. I feel like it's a gimmick, but it's done very well here.

REALLY COOL LEVEL THEMES oh man this game has some of my favorites, and so much variety too ahhhhhhh

Lots of gameplay variety, using the airwing, plus the sub and the tank (i forget the names) PLUS THE BATTLE MODE i can't wait to play that.

so here's the bad stuff

don't worry this game absolutely deserves the ten i gave it

The gyroscopic controls are kinda **** not bad but i wouldn't use them, Ocarina of time 3D utilizes the capability so much better. HOWEVER, they can be 100% ignored, so i didn't give them a strike for it.

The soundtrack is slightly weak compared to Star Fox on SNES, which technically the original 64 was a remake of in the first place, that being said tho, i like this soundtrack, but man the SNES one is an absolute masterpiece.

Basically, buy this.

You know this game sits at about a $70 price tag for a new copy on amazon, and 90% of the used ones are cartridge only. For a collector like me this was a nightmare, but i managed to snag a new copy from my walmart when i found it had accidentally put in the used games bin. If you're a collector have fun trying to find this game for a reasonable price like i did.

Good Luck
  19. Jan 22, 2012
    Sadly star fox 3ds besides the enchaced graphics doesn´t offers much extra content, the new things are a level select mode (score attack) and a gyroscope feature that allows to control the arwing by steering the device in different directions unfortunatly that feature is not recommended with 3d on beacause the efect is lost by the movement and is way better if you play it withSadly star fox 3ds besides the enchaced graphics doesn´t offers much extra content, the new things are a level select mode (score attack) and a gyroscope feature that allows to control the arwing by steering the device in different directions unfortunatly that feature is not recommended with 3d on beacause the efect is lost by the movement and is way better if you play it with the circle pad. Theres also a multiplayer game mode with computer boots and a local connection, but no online. Despite that star fox is a shoot em up game with a sweet gameplay is very simple but very addictive, yeah the game is short but earning medals and unlocking all the level add more replay value also score attack so if you like fliying shooting games you can´t miss this one. Expand
  20. Jun 18, 2014
    So very, very good. Even better than the original Nintendo 64 release in many ways. Excellent use of 3D, and pretty much everything looks and sounds better. You can still play the challenging "N64 mode" if you want, but other tweaks are available in the main campaign for newer players. If only there were online dogfights...
  21. Apr 16, 2012
    Beautiful game! Solid and faithful port from the n64 version with some updated graphics. gameplay wise it's okay and kinda sufferable when you use the gyro controls (which i think is more of a gimmick but i played through most of the game with it off.)

all in all, if you like these sorts of games, you'll love this. if you're not a fan of shooters, however, might want to hold out as it is a fairly short game with a moderate-to-low amount of replayability.
  22. Sep 20, 2016
    Great remake of a classic. If you've played or haven't played the N64 version pick this one up. It's a great game inside & out. If you can find a physical copy, grab it since they're becoming scarce. Wish Nintendo would add this to the Nintendo Selects, I had to get this digitally because it's hard to find but it was worth it.
  23. Nov 16, 2011
    Not the best 3DS game out there, but not that bad either. I never played the original, but the graphics looks absolutely amazing and has some of the best graphics on the system! But the lack of online connectivity is just disappointing and there is not much to do after you finish all of the modes. Definitely a must-have game for 3DS owners.
  24. Sep 11, 2011
    I never had the luxury of playing the original Starfox 64 way back when, so playing Starfox 64 3d was a whole new experience. I must say, It is a superb game. The graphics are totally new and look sharp and provide some good looking effects. The analog controls are smooth and the gyro is fun (albeit not something I use often). And, most importantly, it is just plain enjoyable. It providesI never had the luxury of playing the original Starfox 64 way back when, so playing Starfox 64 3d was a whole new experience. I must say, It is a superb game. The graphics are totally new and look sharp and provide some good looking effects. The analog controls are smooth and the gyro is fun (albeit not something I use often). And, most importantly, it is just plain enjoyable. It provides a good, solid challenge and huge amounts of replay value, and although it unfortunately lacks online play, the local play is fair fun if you have some friends with a 3ds (not to mention it's download play!). I highly recommend this game to any 3ds owner. Expand
  25. Oct 1, 2012
    Star Fox 64 is a timeless classic. The game has a forgettable story, BUT the gameplay is just PHENOMENAL. It is like nothing any game has ever seen before. When you add the kickass flight gameplay, the great voice acting and new stunning 3DS visuals, this game is a steal.If you have never played this game before, do yourself a favor.
  26. Nov 10, 2011
    Great game but there are problems. There is not all the multiplayer content from the n64 version with landmasters and even ground based gameplay with little to no new gameplay stuff here. But, this has some of the most addicting gameplay ever with scores making the player come back for more and more control customization with smoother graphics and frame rate.
  27. Apr 13, 2015
    Still an amazing game and one of the best games for the 3ds, featuring great graphics, sound, controls and 3d.
    If you liked the original games, this is the definite version!
    The only disappointment is the complete lack of additional content or functions (f.e. 2nd screen).

All in all, 91/100 points.
  28. Sep 22, 2011
    This game was one of the reasons I bought a 3DS. Star Fox 64 remains to be one of my all time favorite games to this day, and that likely won't change. I love me some Star Fox, I even liked Adventures. Say what you want, I thought Star Fox Adventures was a good game. Not spectacular mind you, but still good. But that's a review for another day, let's talk about the remake of a classic. IThis game was one of the reasons I bought a 3DS. Star Fox 64 remains to be one of my all time favorite games to this day, and that likely won't change. I love me some Star Fox, I even liked Adventures. Say what you want, I thought Star Fox Adventures was a good game. Not spectacular mind you, but still good. But that's a review for another day, let's talk about the remake of a classic. I won't go into details of the story and gameplay too much, since most of you already know this game by heart after playing through it so many times on N64, so I'll just be focusing on the improvements that were made, and how it compares to the original. When Nintendo announced this remake, I actually laughed. It wasn't just a laugh of joy, it was a laugh AT kind of laugh. The reason is because this has been done before. Many people don't realize this, but Star Fox 64 was actually a remake of the original Star Fox on the Super Nintendo. So it's a remake of a remake? Brilliant! LOL Still, regardless of how funny this is, I was still excited. After all, what Nintendo fan doesn't want to do a barrel roll in 3D? Getting into this game, when you first start up the story mode, it activates Training mode, which you must play through before getting to the actual game. This was a bit annoying, but don't worry, you don't have to do training mode every time you start a game, only the first time. Still, I think Nintendo should have made it optional even on first play, but it's ok, because training mode is kind of fun in itself. Once you're done with training mode, you're asked what control scheme you want. You have the choice of either gyro scope, or traditional N64 controls. Gyro scope is not as well used as it was in Zelda OOT 3D, in fact it's more of an annoyance in this game. It's good if you really want to challenge yourself, but you're better off sticking with N64 controls. The first thing you notice about this game is that the graphics have been greatly improved. The game looks so much better than the original, I actually went back to the original to compare the two, and now that I've played the 3DS version, the original's graphics look like crap now. The environments look much more detailed than before. My favorite planets have to be Macbeth and Zoness. The detail of Macbeth is improved by adding stones and debris on the ground, while Zoness has greatly improved the sludge water below you. The water in Zoness looks real, and is extremely well animated, I've never been so impressed with how good water looks in a game. But of course, there's the addition of 3D with no glasses required. I have to be perfectly honest though, the 3D effect looks very flat. It's not a game that needs to be played in 3D, like Zelda OOT 3D. When I had the 3D on, I didn't feel like I could reach into the screen and grab something, it just popped a little bit. So this game is just as effective and fun when 3D is off, and since 3D will cut your battery life in half, it just seems unnecessary for this game. Still, it was a decent attempt. One thing I noticed right away, that pissed me off, was the different voices. Yeah, that's right, they CHANGED THE VOICES!! A remake of Star Fox 64, a game with the most memorable voice lines in gaming history, has DIFFERENT VOICES! That is a major disappointment to me, because it just wasn't needed. The lines are still the same, but they changed the actual voices. If you're going to remake a game with such memorable voice lines, you have to keep the voices the same. The new voice actors are okay, but they don't measure up to the original voices, and I think any Star Fox fan will agree with this. The multiplayer is slightly improved by adding a few more maps and battle modes. The problem with the multiplayer though, is the absence of online. Everyone was anticipating the addition of online multiplayer to their favorite N64 game, but it didn't happen. The multiplayer is strictly local, so you'll need to find 3 other friends who have 3DS's and copies of Star Fox 64 3D, which is really uncalled for since the 3DS is fully capable of great online. It's fun if you can get enough 3DS owners together, but the absence of online takes away from the multiplayers quality. Still, the multiplayer is in every way better than the original Star Fox 64 multiplayer, you'll just have a hard time playing it. Another cool add on is the addition of Score Attack, in which you can play a planet you've played before, instantly, and tackle the high score. This is a cool thing to have if you're out and about, and you just don't have time to play through the story, but want to play through a certain level in the game. Overall, Star Fox 64 3D is fun, and is a definite must get for 3DS owners. But is it as good as the original? No, it's not. Still, it's good to see Nintendo introducing this classic to the younger generation that missed out, so with that, it's a great game. 8/10. Expand
  29. Apr 27, 2015
    My introduction to Star Fox was via the SNES and the 3dS version does not disappoint. The gameplay is still wonderful but now the game has the graphics to match, Especially on the New 3DS where you can use the Gyro and 3d without the problems encountered on the older 3ds hardware.
    The only downside of this game is that the campaign is very short. at a few hours long.
    It has some
    It has some replay value in that you can chase medals by meeting goals on levels but anyone looking for fifty hours of gameplay should look elsewhere.

Given that you can now pick this game up for next to nothing I'd say it's a game well worth owning.
  30. Jan 25, 2013
    Everything you loved about Star Fox 64 is abck and updated for the better. The 3d makes flight look great although I was not a fan of Gyro controls, despite it being a neat idea. All the content you had in 64 is here including the multiplayer. Although leaving Online out was a bad move the game is still worth a purchase in my book.
    Let's hope Fox finally gets a new game on WiiU now.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 31, 2011
    Even fourteen years after its first release fast and variable space action Star Fox 64 remains one of the best rail shooters and the 3rd dimension fortunately doesn't ruin its original playability. [Oct 2011]
  2. Oct 28, 2011
    The graphics are beautiful, the 3D effect is very well implemented and the Arcade Mode is a good addition. Good, albeit a bit short, space action for your spare time.
  3. Oct 25, 2011
    The game shines again, as did 14 years ago, combining the nostalgia with modernity.