7.7

1. Feb 17, 2014
    Damn fun game. Even the free version is a blast, and despite the premium version having superior subs, they don't have much advantage, and the game is pretty balanced. My only problems with the game is the connection errors that ruin my winstreaks and the lack of communities. Hopefully they might add in this in the future.
  2. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is a fun, unique, and free experience on the Nintendo eshop. The campaign serves as a competent tutorial for the online portion which is (in my opinion) the best part of the game. The controls which initially feel clunky take some time to get used to but when you do the game is very fun. Also, if you want to learn morse code all the chat done done though morse code so this provides a good way to learn. If you find 1st person sub combat somewhat intriguing you should check out the game.
    Note: at the time of writing this review I have not bought the premium option so this review only applies to the free portion.
  3. Mar 15, 2014
    It's such a fun game to play. Sure, it gives the image of not being too interesting at first but the online play is so easy to use it sucks you into a competitive yet friendly (without shrieking kids and all) multiplayer action. You can also play it for FREE. Normally I'd give this game a 8/10 but the average of the critic reviews are outrageously low.
  4. Apr 4, 2014
    This game is so much fun, it's obsessive. I've been playing nothing but this game for the past few days. Nintendo has certainly shown that they can make quality F2P games. Honestly, I have no complaints about this game aside from the spawn points. Being placed on the opposite side of the map from your allies and then getting wrecked by the 4 enemy players isn't very fun. This can be fixed with a 'crew member', permanent stat boosters/abilities, and is why it didn't effect my rating too much. Something I'd like to say is that the premium version is not worth it. I haven't bought the premium myself, but I can tell that it's not worth the $10 price tag. Just stick to the free version and have fun playing one of the best online multiplayer handheld games out there.
    Pros: - Combat (The combat is a mixture of strategy and trigger finger, making the combat tense but incredibly fun and engaging)
    - Multiplayer (The online multiplayer is where this game is at. I've not been able to put down my 3DS without wanting to hop into another online round)
    - Simplicity (The game is simple to understand, and the controls are very easy to remember. This allows new players to quickly get into the game without getting frustrated after being beaten online)
    - Free! (This is self-explanatory. Why wouldn't this be a good thing? Nintendo has made a great F2P game, although the optional 'premium' version is too expensive)
    - Customization (Players who stick to the free version get 2 subs, while the premium members get 18. You can customize each sub with several different color patterns in which you pick the colors, and with crew members; collectibles who grant you stat boosts or abilities such as increased health or increased sonar range)
    Cons: - Spawn points (Being placed far from your allies can be frustrating, but the fact that it can be countered makes it a somewhat insignificant con)
    - Single-player (The free version has 2 single-player missions, while premium players get 7. Either way, it's a very short campaign. This is alright, however, since the main attraction is the online)
    Overall, the game is everything you could want for a F2P game; quality gameplay, customization, online multiplayer, and enough content for those who don't wish to buy any DLC's. The game is addictive, fun, and very simple. There's absolutely no reason to not 'buy' this game. As I've previously warned, however, stay away from the premium version. Some extra subs and single-player missions is not worth the price.
  5. Aug 10, 2014
    This game is amazing, I found it to be close to World of Tanks, because they are both slow paced military vehicle first person shooters. Sub Wars requires strategy, as charging into battle will lead to your demise.It has a pleasant multiplayer experience, but I find the campaign a bit bland. The 3ds has needed a game like this for a while and since it's free why not give it a try?There is a paid premium version that allows you to unlock more subs and play more missions. I believe that the $10.75 is well worth the price for the premium version. Expand

1. Its measured pace is precisely what makes it such a fresh twist on the shooter. [Apr 2014, p.82]
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    Despite the minimalist design and a lack of game modes, the best of Sub Wars lies in the nature of strategic battles and the online that was not present in Steel Diver.
  3. Apr 7, 2014
    A great improvement over its predecessor, Steel Diver: Sub Wars is successful at putting the player in a submarine environment, recreating several aspects of these vessels within the boundaries set by the 3DS. The overall short length of its one player mode and the lack of options on multiplayer mode end up becoming obstacles on its route, but this is a title that will not disappoint.