Super Mario 3D Land 3DS

8.4

1. Mar 19, 2012
    This game in my opinion is over-rated.
    Many people are saying his is a reason why you must get a 3DS.
    In my opinion. Nah not really. There are other titles that more noteworthy such as Revelations but i dont want to get into that. It's not really a fantastic game while it offers some fun and interesting levels. Stages vary among each other quite well and the difficulty is set at a normal
    This game in my opinion is over-rated.
    Many people are saying his is a reason why you must get a 3DS.

Stages vary among each other quite well and the difficulty is set at a normal pace.

However the difficulty has a huge spike when you go into the special worlds.
    The game has nice graphics and overall it's a nice experience. But i found Super Mario Galaxy to be better.
    Not really a must own in my opinion. I traded it back a few weeks after i finished the entire game as i felt there was nothing else to play for.

I suggest renting the game or buying it pre-owned
  2. Mar 28, 2012
    Super Mario 3D land is good game, that takes inspiration from everything that made Mario what it is today but unfortunately after awhile it gets bland and wont inspire you to come back to it.
  3. Feb 15, 2012
    luv this game kinda. it's kind of boring, so i'd give it mixed. i really don't know how to explain it but i guess it is fine but still not the best ever.
  4. Nov 26, 2011
    Mario 3d land is an amzaing game and missing out on it is a huge mistake because its packed full of adventure or fun. The game works great 3d effects are used great, good gyroscope, streetpass, and tons of extra contenet mixed with new materil it might not be a galaxy but it comes very close for just a little portible.
  5. Nov 23, 2011
    Mario jumps into 3D for his main 3DS debut game in Super Mario 3D Land. The game itself feels like a hybrid of Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), New Super Mario Bros. (DS) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES). There is a total of three save files on the game card with the ability to assign a Mii avatar for each to know which file belongs to a specific person if you are sharing the game with anotherMario jumps into 3D for his main 3DS debut game in Super Mario 3D Land. The game itself feels like a hybrid of Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), New Super Mario Bros. (DS) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES). There is a total of three save files on the game card with the ability to assign a Mii avatar for each to know which file belongs to a specific person if you are sharing the game with another person. The game music soundtrack is varied with both unique tracks and remakes and remixes of classics tracks that fits well with the mood of each stage. The stages are somewhat short and some come off as looking a tad bit bland while others are absolutely beautiful. You are usually rushed along to the exit being unable to fully enjoy the atmosphere of the stages due to the timer's limit. Stage types can range from multiple Mario staples like grassy fields, canyons, ghost houses, sewers, lakes, Koopa airships, clock towers, Snowy mountains, desserts, caves, castles and many more. Mario is playable along with an additional playable character (its obvious who it is) that needs to be unlocked later in the game. If you lose multiple lives on a single stage, you are given special "beginner" power ups to help aid you through the levels (keep in mind that this does not happen in the Special worlds which will be mentioned later and that using them will permanently lock access to a specific reward later on in the game). The game has a total of 16 Worlds to cover from the basic first eight worlds to the more challenging eight "special" worlds with increased difficulty and/or lower time limits and/or other unique challenges to prove your skills. It should be noted that it can sometimes be hard to judge certain jumps when the 3D feature is disabled but its not in any way impossible to play only in 2D mode. Overall, unlike New Super Mario Bros. for DS, Super Mario 3D Land does not contain minigames nor a wireless/wifi multiplayer mode so once you fully complete the game or get bored of it, there isn't that much to come back to unless you are willing to start the game from square one and relive the adventure all over again but with that in mind it is still a high quality single player 3D Mario platforming adventures with a bit of something for people of all skill levels. Expand
  6. Nov 26, 2011
    No one does pure unbridled gameplay like Nintendo. I'd rank this the second best Mario game in recent years (behind Galaxy 2 but just ahead of Galaxy). Tapping on great Mario entries from the past such as Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and the Galaxy games, 3D Land is both a reverential treatment of classic gameplay and a wonderfully refreshing portable title. The fact that it's theNo one does pure unbridled gameplay like Nintendo. I'd rank this the second best Mario game in recent years (behind Galaxy 2 but just ahead of Galaxy). Tapping on great Mario entries from the past such as Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and the Galaxy games, 3D Land is both a reverential treatment of classic gameplay and a wonderfully refreshing portable title. The fact that it's the strongest showcase of the system's 3D capabilities makes this an absolutely essential purchase. Expand
  7. Nov 25, 2011
    Its a Mario game. You've been playing them for 25 years. The only real difference with Super Mario 3D land is you get more head-aches playing, less of a sense of accomplishment....and you can throw a boomerang, which Nintendo has made as redundant as a weaponized boomerang would be in real life.
    After a fair bit of thought, I really don't understand what market Nintendo was aiming for. The game is simple and unchallanging, great characters of a game targeting the casual gamer market...But the game is coated in heavy-handed Mario nostalgia and subtle references that would only appeal to long-time fans of the Mario franchise....
  8. Jan 12, 2012
    This is a must get game for the 3DS. It reminds me of New Super Mario Bro's for the DS and Super Mario 64 DS, which both are also must get games if you like Mario games. My final score is... dum dum.... 9.6
  9. Nov 24, 2011
    Easily the finest game the 3DS has to offer and the finest piece of hand held gaming ever made. The level design in this game is awesome and some of the visuals are breathtaking. Unlike some games where I found having the 3D on all the time was a strain on my eyes, this game uses the 3D visuals perfectly and I've never felt the need to turn them off. This is the first game that trulyEasily the finest game the 3DS has to offer and the finest piece of hand held gaming ever made. The level design in this game is awesome and some of the visuals are breathtaking. Unlike some games where I found having the 3D on all the time was a strain on my eyes, this game uses the 3D visuals perfectly and I've never felt the need to turn them off. This is the first game that truly uses the 3D as part of the gameplay, adding depth to puzzles and jumps.

The game gets some criticism for being fairly short but I'd assume these critics haven't played the game fully, as once you've rescued the princess in the first 8 worlds (takes about 6 hours) you can then go on to rescue Luigi in a further 8 Worlds which are much more challenging. To do all the levels and collect all the stars it'll take you about 15-20 hours, which is about the same as what it takes to finish the legendary Ocarina of Time. So there's nothing short or simple about this game.
  10. Nov 25, 2011
    This game is not the best Mario ever, for me it falls short of the stellar Galaxy games. However, it is still proper Mario action with many nods to the classic formula with plenty of new ideas and the 3D effect is wonderfully utilised. What's definate is that this is the best game on the 3DS, that is until Mario Kart comes. For now, this will satisfy everyone's Mario's needs. I do wishThis game is not the best Mario ever, for me it falls short of the stellar Galaxy games. However, it is still proper Mario action with many nods to the classic formula with plenty of new ideas and the 3D effect is wonderfully utilised. What's definate is that this is the best game on the 3DS, that is until Mario Kart comes. For now, this will satisfy everyone's Mario's needs. I do wish this game were harder though..... Expand
  11. Nov 22, 2011
    This is a great Mario game. Beautiful graphics really show off what the 3DS can do. The 3d is actually an organic part of the gameplay and not some tacked on gimmick. It takes the best of the old and new Marios and merges them into a great little package. If the 3DS can keep churning out games like this it should have no trouble turning itself around and becoming a huge success like the DSThis is a great Mario game. Beautiful graphics really show off what the 3DS can do. The 3d is actually an organic part of the gameplay and not some tacked on gimmick. It takes the best of the old and new Marios and merges them into a great little package. If the 3DS can keep churning out games like this it should have no trouble turning itself around and becoming a huge success like the DS before it. Expand
  12. Nov 22, 2011
    I've had a great time with this game so far, only played through the first few worlds trying to savor it. It kind of feels like a cross between Mario3+Galaxy+Mario64, it has linear progression of a 2D title but also the freedom of movement of a 3D title. The 3D effect is useful in most areas which is a huge plus for the system. The graphics are amazing too, easily match that of Galaxy onI've had a great time with this game so far, only played through the first few worlds trying to savor it. It kind of feels like a cross between Mario3+Galaxy+Mario64, it has linear progression of a 2D title but also the freedom of movement of a 3D title. The 3D effect is useful in most areas which is a huge plus for the system. The graphics are amazing too, easily match that of Galaxy on the Wii. This game really is the killer app for the 3DS, now is the time for getting a 3DS guys and gals! Expand
  13. Aug 4, 2012
    The style of platforming this game has is a great, unique idea. It's like a 'side-scrolling 3D platformer'. I would have liked to see the 3DS tech be used more in this game. Super Mario 3D Land is for everyone who complains about every Mario game being too similar. The game includes eight bonus worlds for people who find the main worlds too easy. 8/10.
  14. Apr 30, 2012
    Having played Mario games for 28 years now, I have jumped on a few Goombas and kicked a few shells. That being said, I found 3D land to be one of my favourites of all time. Yes, it's a cut down version of Galaxy, but hey, it's on a handheld. Excellent menu for quickly jumping in and playing any level you feel like, great outfits/abilities. The game is quite tricky at times but neverHaving played Mario games for 28 years now, I have jumped on a few Goombas and kicked a few shells. That being said, I found 3D land to be one of my favourites of all time. Yes, it's a cut down version of Galaxy, but hey, it's on a handheld. Excellent menu for quickly jumping in and playing any level you feel like, great outfits/abilities. The game is quite tricky at times but never punishes you to a point where you want to stop playing. If you are having trouble it even assists with some very special items so even casual gamers can get a lot of joy. I finished the first play through with 112 lives remaining, but the fun doesn't stop with rescuing Peach. Plenty of replay value for those with the time. Solid 10 Expand
  15. Oct 27, 2012
    Awesome! The best 3D, I've ever saw, and despite what some people says, it's really useful, so much that when you turn it off, it seems something is missing, and then you have to turn the 3D on again. Great game, i had more than 15 hours of fun, and i haven't collected all medals yet.
  16. Oct 29, 2012
    Hmm what's this? A first party nintendo game appears? Alright lets get out the checklist. Innovative game mechanics? Check. Stellar use of platform features? Check. General "holy crap this is amazing!" effect? Check. Its not good for a developer to bring the same thing to the table every time...unless its unbridled creativity. And with this amazing platformer nintendo did just that.Hmm what's this? A first party nintendo game appears? Alright lets get out the checklist. Innovative game mechanics? Check. Stellar use of platform features? Check. General "holy crap this is amazing!" effect? Check. Its not good for a developer to bring the same thing to the table every time...unless its unbridled creativity. And with this amazing platformer nintendo did just that. Definetly a must buy for 3ds owners. Expand
  17. Dec 11, 2012
    Having just 100% completed this game I can say with confidence it is one of the greatest Mario games ever made and the best handheld game available on the market. It is both a homage to the old and the new, an amalgamation of 25 years of Mario and a beautifully responsive game that delivers both to new and old players.

The game starts off incredibly easy and becomes gradually more

The game starts off incredibly easy and becomes gradually more difficult, the special worlds for example are a challenge to complete and I've been playing Mario for 20 years and I found some of them challenging. Attaining the fabled "5 star save file" is a challenge in itself and I achieved this last night.

Oh and the game is in 3D or something but I don't care about that.
  18. Dec 12, 2012
    Awesome 3D rendition of a Super Mario Galaxy X Super Mario Bros crossover. Definetely recommended. For all ages and with different scales of difficulties for more experienced players~!
  19. Mar 8, 2013
    This game is good, and i enjoyed it til the end (The second one). But, again, it's the same Mario experience I've seen on all Mario games since the old Super Mario Bros. for the NES, the only difference is the 3D, which, by the way, is more like a window behind the screen. Nothing pops out of the console. And since it's more of the same stuff, i'm getting tired of Mario games.
  20. Apr 30, 2013
    This is best of the Mario 3DS games. It has really cool power-ups, awesome levels, cool adventures, really classic 3D and lots of secrets to find and shortcuts to skip through levels. That is why I rate it 10/10. You can get the cool photos from completing the worlds and put them in your photo app.
  21. May 3, 2013
    Looked good but most the levels was very easy to figure out and do, non the levels was quite hard has Mario Galaxy was.

So if you must know it was a straight one linear game that's what you Mario fans get nothing to hard to do and same boring story as usual like Bowser kipnapps Peach yet again yawn. Most of his moves was gone too eg the backflip move anyway can't remember all them

Most of his moves was gone too eg the backflip move anyway can't remember all them but they was not on this game unlike Mario 64.
  22. Dec 18, 2011
    Okay, I'll admit that Mario games and myself have been on the outs since Super Mario 64. Lucky for me, there have been other games outside of the main series platformers, so I'm not living an entirely Mario-free life. The reason why is simple: Camera Screw. I can't stand games with camera screw. While Super Mario 3D Land is most definitely better about this than pretty much everyOkay, I'll admit that Mario games and myself have been on the outs since Super Mario 64. Lucky for me, there have been other games outside of the main series platformers, so I'm not living an entirely Mario-free life. The reason why is simple: Camera Screw. I can't stand games with camera screw. While Super Mario 3D Land is most definitely better about this than pretty much every Mario-themed platforming game with better-than-mild 3D worlds, it still suffers from this crippling disease. Symptoms of strange, inconsistent controls, death-by-camera, Indiana Jones syndrome (as in 'Why am I looking backwards at the thing I'm trying to run from instead of looking forward so I can evade obstacles in my path?'), inflated boss difficulty, inflated jump difficulty and suicidal hero are all present and accounted for. Happily, unlike many of it's predecessors, these issues are more moderated, and I could tell that it had been tweaked to minimize the very complaints I have. Unfortunately, minimization isn't elimination. Granted, I only rarely had to use the camera controls, and the fact that you can rack up an incredible number of lives not even playing seriously does help a great deal, but I shouldn't need so many lives, and I should never need to mess with the camera either. Worse, when I felt I did need camera help, the controls were usually locked, and when they weren't, they were so minimal that they provided no help whatsoever, except in a very few cases. Many of the levels also triggered my fear of heights as well. Seriously, why do so many levels have to look like they're a mile or more in the air? All in all, it's a great stride forward in making a better modern platformer Mario game that appeals to people like myself, but the continued camera screw continued to detract from the experience. A step in the right direction to be sure, but not out of the yellow for me. Expand
  23. Dec 17, 2011
    In my personal opinion, this is the best Mario land so far! The 3D world (both graphics and actual dimensions) are great! The level designers were very clever with hiding the star coins (i still find them pretty quickly, hehe). All in all, i'm impressed. I'm looking forward to a game like Mario World DS(the one where you go inside paintings) in this 3D format. My only complaint, and I amIn my personal opinion, this is the best Mario land so far! The 3D world (both graphics and actual dimensions) are great! The level designers were very clever with hiding the star coins (i still find them pretty quickly, hehe). All in all, i'm impressed. I'm looking forward to a game like Mario World DS(the one where you go inside paintings) in this 3D format. My only complaint, and I am only in world 4, so it might be there, but i haven't seen it, is that Yoshi isn't in the game... Otherwise, great! Expand
  24. Apr 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario is back and this time the 3d is not a hindrance (as opposed to Mario64 where it was tough to judge distances and jump accordingly.) on first playthrough it felt like it was waaaaaaaaaay too easy but once you beat the first set of levels, you get another set with increased difficulty and surely will challenge diehard run-n-jump players. this game takes a long time to shine but once it kicks in, it revamps the spirit of the mario franchise successfully. the downside is that the level designs didn't hold to any sort of consistency in theme which isn't in itself bad but is indicative of poor designing. for example, you can play on a level that is made out of mattresses and springs and the next level will have you scaling trees and/or cookies. if the themes were consistent, it would have earned a MUCH higher rating. Expand
  25. Dec 3, 2011
    There is nothing particularly wrong with Super Mario 3D Land...except for its predictability. The level design is superb, just like any other Mario game. The problem is that it is so easy that it becomes boring after a while. I'm not gonna spoil anything, but after beating the game, I now have 108 lives. The game practicality GIVES them away. It's just way to easy for me, simple as that. IThere is nothing particularly wrong with Super Mario 3D Land...except for its predictability. The level design is superb, just like any other Mario game. The problem is that it is so easy that it becomes boring after a while. I'm not gonna spoil anything, but after beating the game, I now have 108 lives. The game practicality GIVES them away. It's just way to easy for me, simple as that. I can only recommend this game to kids quite frankly. Expand
  26. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is an outstanding game. Graphically, it's easily the best looking game on the 3DS so far. The use of 3D ranges from visual flair in some levels, to game-changing in others. The game plays like a mix of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the original Super Mario Bros., and it works extremely well. The music is probably the worst part of the game, and even then, it's pretty solid. The mainThis game is an outstanding game. Graphically, it's easily the best looking game on the 3DS so far. The use of 3D ranges from visual flair in some levels, to game-changing in others. The game plays like a mix of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the original Super Mario Bros., and it works extremely well. The music is probably the worst part of the game, and even then, it's pretty solid. The main theme is not that exciting, and is used too often, but some of the other tracks shine. Bowser's castle theme comes to mind. Overall, this game is a great buy for a system with an extremely lacking library. This is the first killer app for the 3DS. Do yourself a huge favor, and pick it up. (I would like to rate this game a 9.5 but since metacritic only allows 9 or 10, I'm rating this a 10.) Expand
  27. Nov 30, 2011
    There is nothing better than packing a bowl, getting stoned and playing this game. Great graphics and great 3D effect with inventive level design. Absolutely wonderful game.
  28. Nov 28, 2011
    I just bought a 3DS this weekend and it was the Mario 3DS bundle, so naturally I was hoping that the game that the system came with would be really good, and it's tremendous. Of course, it's a Mario game and if you come in expecting anything different, then of course you may get bored with the game and you may not like it. But for those who know what every Mario game entails, then you'reI just bought a 3DS this weekend and it was the Mario 3DS bundle, so naturally I was hoping that the game that the system came with would be really good, and it's tremendous. Of course, it's a Mario game and if you come in expecting anything different, then of course you may get bored with the game and you may not like it. But for those who know what every Mario game entails, then you're going to absolutely love it. The 3D effects are pretty cool, giving you a couple of different perspectives of how 3D can be used. The game isn't all that difficult, but has any Mario game really been all too challenging? You'll still end up dying over petty things, falling off the level or accidentally jumping into a pit of fire but the game isn't too rough. Expand
  29. Dec 1, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. It allows for much easier gameplay for younger kids and more challenging levels for older. And I love the Tanooki Suit and other power-ups. Nintendo really outdid itself, just like they did with the Super Mario Galaxy's, Sunshine, and others alike. My only problem is that Bowser Jr. is not in it. Still, Boom Boom, Pom Pom, and the many forms of Bowser are very fun.
  30. Dec 3, 2011
    I waited this game for a long time, and Nintendo didn't disappoint me. This game is as colorful as it could be, the 3D effect is very good, but not some many levels are challenging, sometimes you are thinking the game just grabbed your hand and drags you thru many many stages. Oh, and "oh jeez, I collected so many lives, what will I do with them" and "oh jeez, i wasted about ten lives onI waited this game for a long time, and Nintendo didn't disappoint me. This game is as colorful as it could be, the 3D effect is very good, but not some many levels are challenging, sometimes you are thinking the game just grabbed your hand and drags you thru many many stages. Oh, and "oh jeez, I collected so many lives, what will I do with them" and "oh jeez, i wasted about ten lives on this level" moments are there. The game really need multiplayer (even 2-player), because come on, Nintendo, it's a brand new game play, why we wouldn't enjoy it with friends? Although I think that was a good deal buying it Expand
  31. Dec 3, 2011
    super mario 3d land is a great game with some of the best levels seen. the raccoon suit is amazing and very easy to use and so are the other power ups. when playing in 3d i found it quite good. the only negative thing for me was that is was quite easy . other than that its a must own and worthy of your time and money.
  32. Dec 3, 2011
    Super Mario Land 3D is the best mario game for portable systems. 3D is great, the story is cute, and it has great controls. But it does has it cons. Such as the challenge is lacking. It only gets challenging at the end of the special worlds, and it the game feels short. There over 80 levels and that could be beat in a day, or a week if you take your time. But it's still a good experience.Super Mario Land 3D is the best mario game for portable systems. 3D is great, the story is cute, and it has great controls. But it does has it cons. Such as the challenge is lacking. It only gets challenging at the end of the special worlds, and it the game feels short. There over 80 levels and that could be beat in a day, or a week if you take your time. But it's still a good experience.
    Pros: Cool level designs, great controls, good looking in 3D
    Cons: Slow start, lack of challenge, short game
  33. Dec 25, 2011
    it may be a pretty good game, but due to the lack of vs. mode in single player like it's not really a good game, terrible new tracks, ruining the original retro courses music and terrible new characters, the critics should at least have given this game a mixed or average review instead of generally favorable reviews.
  34. Apr 11, 2013
    Solid Mario game. Game is a little too easy until very end. Doesn't get challenging until the last level and the secret levels. Good game for younger gamers or something to play to relax. Has typical Mario charm and upbeat whimsical music.
  35. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is a tremendous amount of fun! It has everything you want on a game.Great controls, visuals, character and sound.If you own a 3DS and you dont have it go running to your store and buy it
  36. Apr 4, 2013
    An outstanding platformer, vissually perfect with great level design.
    The 3D is the best so far on the handhelm, music is great and I found it quite challenging at the later levels.
    If you own a 3DS this is a must-title.
  37. May 28, 2012
    It's just the same thing we've seen one million times before, no innovation,no challenge,no excitement. Just the same game as before with same added 3D ooooh! In summary a boring tedious platformer that adds nothing new to the table.
    Wait for something good.
  38. Nov 14, 2011
    This was a game I really wanted to like but it felt uninspired and simple to me. It isn't just an easy game it is downright simpe. After a few levels it is so easy that you lose any connection you had to the game.
  39. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a very different game. First of all, there's hardly any old enemies and it has too much new ones. It also has a huge lack of levels. I would like this game if it wasn't so different.
  40. Dec 4, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land is far and near the most pivitol point so far in the nintendo 3DS' life and it shows that love and care clearly went into this game. However that is not to say this game is flawless. Within the game there are many fan based levels which I won't divulge as they could slightly spoil the ambience of playing the levels for the first time. However it feels like Super MarioSuper Mario 3D Land is far and near the most pivitol point so far in the nintendo 3DS' life and it shows that love and care clearly went into this game. However that is not to say this game is flawless. Within the game there are many fan based levels which I won't divulge as they could slightly spoil the ambience of playing the levels for the first time. However it feels like Super Mario 3D Land doesn't appear to know the correct point to stop easing the player into the game with levels only getting gradually more diffivult from world 6 or 7. However this does now damage the fun that is Super Mario 3D land much and with the addition of another set of worlds once you clear the game there's certainly a lot of content. The presentation and graphic style although not the best on the system is certainly stunning with this being a game which the 3D effect compliments so well. Gameplay:9
    Presentation: 8.5
    Graphics:8
    Lasting Appeal: 8.5
  41. Nov 26, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land is an eclectic game. It takes aspects of other Mario games and combines them into a new, interesting package. There are sections that are classic 2D sidescrolling, others that reminiscent of Mario Galaxy, and some that are a top down perspective in the vain of 2D Zelda.

The graphics are about Super Mario Sunshine level, and in fact might even be Super Mario Galaxy level-the game looks great in 3D. Itâ
  42. Nov 26, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land is a Fun 3D Platformer That is a good reason to even buy a 3DS, 10 out of 10, 97.5% out of 100%, Good game,I recommend you pick this title up
  43. Nov 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game starts out as a very simple version of Mario, although it's Mario at his best. The graphics pop, and the wonderful 3D inclusion really was intuitive and useful within the game. This was the first game where I actually kept the 3D on through the levels as it wasnt bothersome and it added to the gameplay. I only found myself actually NEEDING the 3D in a countless amount of areas within the just under 100 levels of gameplay. The major replay-ability of this game just helps add to the excitement of replaying through the game as well if you played through then you know what I'm talking about. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone. By far one of the best final Bowsers fights!!!!

Don't Read --Spoilers AHEAD!!!!----

Well after you beat the game you unlock the special land, which is a whole different game in itself. Though not all the lands are completely different, they do add a good challenge to those who dare to beat the game outright. The game went from too easy, to actually very challenging. A friend of mine only lost a total of 2 lives in the first land while he lost 45 in the special land. It can get pretty challenging.

This definitely wasn't the best Mario game ever but it was definitely a great first attempt on the 3DS, and showed that the 3DS has yet so much more to come to unleash to power behind the console.
  44. Feb 21, 2013
    I was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels wereI was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels were ridiculously challenging, even frustrating, but the feeling of satisfaction after completing them was priceless. Albeit some extra levels felt like repeats with shadow Mario added, it took me about 25 hours to completely accomplish everything in the game. Streetpass was interesting but nothing special. The final battle with Bowser was one of the best I've ever played too! And the final bonus stage is incredible as well. A must-have. Expand
  45. Feb 25, 2012
    Nintendo Really outdid themselves this time. This game is the most unoriginal thing I have ever played. But don't worry. You will buy it anyway because they put something from Mario 3 in and based the entire game around it. Complete rubbish
  46. Feb 21, 2012
    This game is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! I couldn't pick up on the fun appeal like I have on Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Super Mario 64, etc.. This game wasn't addictive or interesting. This game was amazingly simplistic and had very odd controls and miss the classic things Mario was always able to do on all super mario 3d platformers (i.e. an actual backflip, limited time underwater, etc..) I haveThis game is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! I couldn't pick up on the fun appeal like I have on Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Super Mario 64, etc.. This game wasn't addictive or interesting. This game was amazingly simplistic and had very odd controls and miss the classic things Mario was always able to do on all super mario 3d platformers (i.e. an actual backflip, limited time underwater, etc..) I have been a HUGE fan of all major title Super Mario games but I hated this one...a lot. 2/10 Expand
  47. Nov 29, 2011
    This game was a huge disappointment. It appeared it was going to be inspired by Mario 3, and if it was, it was a spit in the face to the game. Every mario game has been getting lazier and lazier with their hub world/world map. Mario 3 had an interesting map with many hidden secrets which made the game interesting, wondering what secrets may be hidden in a level. Mario 3D land has aThis game was a huge disappointment. It appeared it was going to be inspired by Mario 3, and if it was, it was a spit in the face to the game. Every mario game has been getting lazier and lazier with their hub world/world map. Mario 3 had an interesting map with many hidden secrets which made the game interesting, wondering what secrets may be hidden in a level. Mario 3D land has a straight line you walk in with pretty much no theme and no feeling of any effort.

The level design is BORING so so incredibly boring. Imagine squares floating in the air... and that's it. 90% of the levels consist of floating blocks you jump on. What ever happened to Mario 3 or super mario world.. or even Mario 64 or Mario sunshine, with their beautiful level design. One positive on this is they went back to the pretty solid colors compared to the ugly puke pastel colors of the New Mario pros series.

The game also insults the player by giving them an instant win button if they keep loosing. Really Nintendo? That's what you want to teach future generations? "If you keep messing up, don't worry, You get an instant win so don't even bother trying or getting better!" This has got to be the stupidest thing i have ever seen Nintendo stick in a game.

Nintendo sure has lost its touch lately. All they do now is stick in the bare minimum to make their game a complete game. Their games feel like that have 0 inspiration and effort beyond the bare minimum. most of their newest games are actually a step back from progress they made during the N64 and gamecube days.
  48. Jan 11, 2012
    Mario will always just love it. But this is nothing mario ... I can not put a 7 which is very low note, but not by 8 which is much ...
    The idea is very good for 3D. But the phases, history and music are very very very sloppy.
    Although it is very replayable
  49. Nov 24, 2011
    Nintendo wanted some money. This game lacks in evry department especially difficulty. What a waste of money. Dont end up like me please. Save yourselves and your money from this game!
  50. Jun 23, 2013
    Allow me to begin my extremely negative review by stating this: There was a time when Mario games were simple, yet quite difficult. (A.K.A Super Mario Bros. 3, though some would disagree) I feel that, throughout the years, the Super Mario games have become so easy as to be ridiculous. There is almost no difficulty factor in the games for me anymore, and Super Mario 3D Land is by far noAllow me to begin my extremely negative review by stating this: There was a time when Mario games were simple, yet quite difficult. (A.K.A Super Mario Bros. 3, though some would disagree) I feel that, throughout the years, the Super Mario games have become so easy as to be ridiculous. There is almost no difficulty factor in the games for me anymore, and Super Mario 3D Land is by far no exception. I breezed through the game in less than 11 hours, which led me to wonder why Nintendo is not looking to the gamers who grew up around Mario and are trying to appeal to the younger generation ONLY. Would it not be a plausible idea to appeal to both generations? (The gen that grew up with it and the gen that is growing up with it) The levels in this game were murderously short in some cases, and some of the levels were annoyingly easy. Granted, there were a handful of levels here and there that were mildly challenging, but I feel, in closing, that the Mario franchise is, and I never thought I'd say this, but...

I feel the Mario franchise is dying a slow and painful death. Now, I know a HUGE amount of people would disagree with my entire review, and that is completely fine. Some modern Mario games DO have some unique charms to them, but if only the levels would be made more difficult, or a difficulty level added in proper, then I think my reviews would be a lot more uplifting.
  51. Dec 4, 2011
    this is the worst mario game i've ever played. it tries to combine the best parts of nsmb and smg but the end result is a massive failure. i'm sorry nintendo but there should not be a run button in a 3d mario game. that's just dumb. the analog stick is there for a reason. the game feels really awkward to control and mario is super slow it's clear nintendo made this game for little kids.this is the worst mario game i've ever played. it tries to combine the best parts of nsmb and smg but the end result is a massive failure. i'm sorry nintendo but there should not be a run button in a 3d mario game. that's just dumb. the analog stick is there for a reason. the game feels really awkward to control and mario is super slow it's clear nintendo made this game for little kids. there are only 2 new power-ups i mean wow nintendo could you be any more lazy. oh yeah they could be more lazy, because half of the soundtrack is reused from smg. no i'm not making this up. the few original songs by the way are completely forgettable. this game is terrible i feel bad for anyone who buys it Expand
  52. Sep 9, 2016
    One of the best 3D Marios, and one of the best games to play on the 3DS. I don't know why the user score for it is so low, this game is really good.

I grew up with the original Super Mario Bros trilogy as a kid, on the NES. Super Mario Bros 3 was my favourite game for many years. I stopped caring for Mario much since the PS1 generation, but this game really made me happy and woke up memories.

It has plenty of levels and secrets, satisfying platforming, good use of 3D (though you can play it without it just fine), incredible music, it is lengthy enough but ideal for short bursts of gameplay. It has very nice graphics and smooth animations. It is has very good replayability, and it can be hard in later levels, but never punishing.

It is also very charming with the usual Super Mario charm, and features elements from Super Mario Bros 3 like musical themes. Those brought a tear to my eye. Never though small things like this could bring back childhood memories.

All in all, this is a must have game if you own a 3DS.
  53. Jul 18, 2012
    I've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of theI've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of the levels once you beat the original 8 worlds, plus beating all of it with both Mario & Luigi, and I forget what else is required just to unlock the last secret world on top of everything completed above. I'm still working on it and still enjoying it, just not as much as I did at first but it's holding up well against any of my newer games. I know I'll stick with it until I manage to unlock everything and I think it is my favorite Mario game to date. -1 point for originality though. I would love to see Nintendo come out with a new IP for a change to show off all these platformer variations they come up with on a regular basis, but it works and each Mario is still fun so it's a pretty minor complaint. Expand
  54. May 29, 2012
    Without a doubt the best 3D single-player Mario game there is as of yet (3D as in not 2D [Super Mario Bros. 3, for example, is what I mean with 2D and Super Mario 64 is 3D]). It's perfect for anyone who's enjoyed any previous Super Mario games.
  55. Dec 20, 2012
    Ever since Mario's jump to 3D his games have taken in my opinion more of an adventure style approach rather than sticking completely to its roots. Temporary power ups? A life bar? Finding 8 red coins in a huge landscape? Yes it was very different from the original tittles on the nes and snes. But it was still Mario. Even still I always wondered since the beggining, why don't they make a 3DEver since Mario's jump to 3D his games have taken in my opinion more of an adventure style approach rather than sticking completely to its roots. Temporary power ups? A life bar? Finding 8 red coins in a huge landscape? Yes it was very different from the original tittles on the nes and snes. But it was still Mario. Even still I always wondered since the beggining, why don't they make a 3D Mario with the fundamentals of the sidescroller Mario? You know what Im talking about. Levels that go from point A to point B. No lifebar. Powerups are your life source. Best of all, a flagpole at the end of each level. Super Mario 3D Land is exactly just that. Including incredible level design, great powerups and impressive replayability. This is without a doubt one of Mario's best games yet. It does have a slow start. Takes a bit of time to take of the training wheels completely. The game is very easy. Too easy for at least the first half. That is really the worst aspect of the game. Best of all its not a really bad aspect at all. Its still damn fun and impresive. Here is to a sequel with the sheer brilliance of this game with online co-op for better replayability complete with an overworld map. For the heck of it lets call it Super Mario 3D World. Make it happen Nintendo. Until then this is my favorite 3D Mario Game yet. Congratulations Nintendo. You never cease to amaze. Expand
  56. Apr 23, 2013
    I'm going to make what many would brand a controversial statement, but here it is anyway; Super Mario 3D Land is the best handheld game ever made! And please know that I am not some gushing Nintendoist fanboy. My personal handheld weapon of choice is my PS Vita, but it's first-party masterpieces like this that stop me from ever chopping my XL in.

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly smashes) expectations in every single department: gameplay, graphics, animation, use of 3D, soundtrack, controls, content, level design, difficulty, variety... the list goes on and on. And on. There's even a surprise or two along the way!

I've so far ploughed more than fifty hours into this deeply accomplished and wonderfully nuanced 3D platform adventure, and I enjoyed, nay loved, every single minute. I've completed everything, found every secret, and unlocked every level, and yet, I'm still far from done with my escapades in 3D Land. A year-and-half since it's release, I still regularly find myself picking it up for twenty minutes here and half an hour there. Sometimes longer.

I said at the top of this mini review, that Super Mario 3D Land is the finest handheld game of all-time, and it is, but having now given the matter further thought, it's much more than that. It's one of the best games of all time, period. If you've never really got into handheld gaming or you're yet to play this 3DS classic, I emplore you to give it a go. If ever there's a handheld game to truly blow your socks off, it's this one.
  57. Dec 30, 2012
    Sporting varied difficulty levels, great graphics and a great use of the 3DS's technology, Super Mario 3D Land is an innovative twist on classic Mario action we had a long time coming.
  58. Mar 29, 2013
    Standard Mario fare here, ladies and gentlemen. Very fun on it's own right, but has nothing that would truly set it apart from other Mario games. If you don't mind the lack of innovation, 3D Land is definitely worth a buy.
  59. May 26, 2012
    Whenever I play Mario games, i feel different than when I play other games. Mario games are simple, fun, and sometimes challenging. This game, however, was simple, fun, but extremely easy. The graphics were great and the gameplay was fun in the beginning but all the levels feel very much the same. Super Mario 3D Land is literally the original Mario games we know, except in 3D. I am a fanWhenever I play Mario games, i feel different than when I play other games. Mario games are simple, fun, and sometimes challenging. This game, however, was simple, fun, but extremely easy. The graphics were great and the gameplay was fun in the beginning but all the levels feel very much the same. Super Mario 3D Land is literally the original Mario games we know, except in 3D. I am a fan of the Nintendo 3Ds â Expand
  60. May 21, 2012
    Superb,superb,superb. This game is all nintendo fans could ask for. This game is the best 3DS game yet- and the New Super Mario Bros 2 is coming soon. That's a retro revival. Still, the return of the tanooki suit was legandary. (although lack of flying fully) Things I'm not happy about is the same levels in the special world with time limits and shadow marios and uncreative boss battlesSuperb,superb,superb. This game is all nintendo fans could ask for. This game is the best 3DS game yet- and the New Super Mario Bros 2 is coming soon. That's a retro revival. Still, the return of the tanooki suit was legandary. (although lack of flying fully) Things I'm not happy about is the same levels in the special world with time limits and shadow marios and uncreative boss battles that are simpily Boom Boom and Pom Pom a couple times. Thanks for coming back for more, Mario. Expand
  61. Jul 11, 2012
    This is the first game that I bought with my 3DS and I grew tired when I finally beat the game and went "elsewhere" the purple thing was too hard for me and as you go on "elsewhere" it gets repeated on and on from the past. It can really get annoying. If you're into the slight twists and turns in the same EXACT levels then the game was literally meant for you.
  62. Aug 17, 2012
    This is the best game on the 3ds. It uses 3d as an integral part of the gameplay, and it gives you a reason to crank the meter up to full. The platforming is tight and fun. The levels might seem a bit short, and the worlds only have 5-6 levels per, but it is still amazing. After the final level is beat, "Special worlds" are unlocked which double the size of the game. These levels are veryThis is the best game on the 3ds. It uses 3d as an integral part of the gameplay, and it gives you a reason to crank the meter up to full. The platforming is tight and fun. The levels might seem a bit short, and the worlds only have 5-6 levels per, but it is still amazing. After the final level is beat, "Special worlds" are unlocked which double the size of the game. These levels are very challenging and fun, and you will drop a good amount of hours to finish it all. Trying to find all the star coins and beat each level with each brother will keep you coming back for more, even after you have beaten the last level. The tanooki suit is used a little to much though, and items like the new boomerang suit or even the fire flower do not show as much as one would like to add some more variety, but this is very small. Overall, this is in itself a reason to go buy a 3ds. Expand
  63. Dec 23, 2012
    A very entertaining game to pass the time.
  64. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is a family game and its age limit is E, which means everyone. You can also guarantee 100%, this game has no violence in it what so ever. Mario
  65. Nov 1, 2012
    Best game for any age or gamer on the 3DS unless you can't stand Mario for some odd reason. Best use of 3D out of any 3DS game. Amazing plat forming. Innovative level design. Easy enough for anyone but also plenty of challenge for more hardcore gamers. Lots of charm and great soundtrack. A must buy for any 3DS owner.
  66. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is incredibly enjoyable and innovative considering it's the first original 3d Mario on a handheld console. The game is somewhat challenging when played with the intention of collecting all the star coins which are a great feature, and the power-ups are unique and distributed well. The new Boomerang power up isn't given out until around a 4th of the way through the game which isThis game is incredibly enjoyable and innovative considering it's the first original 3d Mario on a handheld console. The game is somewhat challenging when played with the intention of collecting all the star coins which are a great feature, and the power-ups are unique and distributed well. The new Boomerang power up isn't given out until around a 4th of the way through the game which is good as it gives you something to look forward to.

Unfortunately the game has some problems that keep it from getting a 9 or a 10 from me. The special worlds tended to be less enjoyable then the first levels and introduced annoying gimmicks in the form of a Cosmic Clone chasing you for the entire level and having 30 seconds to complete a level (while collecting 10 second clocks). Both of these gimmicks were fine alone, but when combined created un-enjoyable and frustrating levels. Also the fact that to complete the game every level had to be completed with both characters and gold flagged made the game feel artificially drawn out.

Overall Super Mario 3d Land is a solid 3d Mario experience and is a very enjoyable experience. While it might not be the best 3d Mario game it's certainly a good one and worth a try if you own a 3ds.
  67. Feb 21, 2013
    This game is interesting. It's basically a mix of the 2D mario platformers and the 3D mario platformers. It is certainly very fun, but there's two things about this game that I heavily dislike, and the only things that make me give this game a 7 instead of the 10 it would have if it weren't for these two things.

1. Lack of difficulty. I blew through this entire game in a week. And yeah,

1. Lack of difficulty. I blew through this entire game in a week. And yeah, along with the special worlds. I actually had to stop myself from playing because otherwise I knew I'd beat it too fast. The levels are easy and the Tanooki Suit basically owns everything, which is why I generally refrained from using Fire Flowers or Boomerang Flowers, or any other power up available in the game, unless I had no choice. Even though this game is fun, they shouldn't make it too easy to "appeal to a younger audience". What kind of audience were they aiming for when they made Super Mario Bros 3, then? That game was pretty difficult and I'm pretty sure that it was also meant for kids. Anyways, the second thing that bothers me: 2. The level design. It's pretty dang rare to find a level in this game that has actual terrain instead of floating blocks. Ignoring the castle levels, it IS pretty rare. They seriously could've done better than this. Super Mario 64? Beautiful terrain that is fun to explore. Super Mario Sunshine? Beautiful terrain that is fun to explore! Super Mario Galaxy? Amazing terrain that is also pretty but it still looked great because it actually looked like something. Super Mario 3D Land terrain? ...What terrain? No seriously, if you check a few gameplay videos on the internet, you will find 90% of the levels being floating blocks. It's terrible. They SERIOUSLY could've done better than...THIS. Sorry, but I just can't stress this enough: Who saw this and thought it was an okay thing to do? ANYTHING would've been better than a bunch of floating blocks, ANYTHING. Anyways, aside from these two things this is a fun to play game and I truly reccommend it.
  68. Apr 13, 2014
    an insanely easy mario game that brings absolutely nothing new to the table besides ruining 3d mario forever. Seriously the easiness of this game is laughable.
  69. Apr 9, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land seems to be mixed by a lot of people. The game has a 64 feeling to it, yet has a different touch as well. The game overall is pretty good. What it lacks is a replay value. Once you beat it...you beat it. 8/10
  70. Feb 2, 2014
    This game is ok, but nothing special. It is a 3D jump 'n' run title with nice levels. Still it is way too easy and way too short. I got it for free during some promotion thing, but I would never buy it.
  71. Apr 29, 2014
    There's no question – if you own a 3DS, this is the best game on the platform, and instantly worthy of a purchase. It's one of the best portable platformers I've ever played graphics spot and and the 3d effects are amazing
  72. May 13, 2014
    I haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole newI haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole new world (literally :P) to explore, the 3D graphics are awesome. But I found this game to be very challenging it's not a bad thing just surprising so be ready for a challenge. And the replayability is good, after you finish a stage there is always something I missed (time clock) and it's fun to collect more coins and go through the same stage and find secrets and the rest of the tokens.

I highly recommend Super Mario 3D Land.
  73. Mar 6, 2017
    It's a pretty good entry into the Mario series. While it can be bland and forgettable, it's still a fun game. I would really recommend it if you want a 3DS game that uses 3D well.
  74. Feb 16, 2014
    As always, gameplay wise it doesn't get much better. My problem is that it all feels too clinical. It's not a world that Mario is adventuring through, it feels more like a lab experiment. Still had good fun though
  75. Jun 18, 2014
    Vacating exploration for precision platforming galore, 3D Land ambitiously restates Mario's undertaking in the third dimension to great success. Late game challenges will demand untold accuracy of the omnidirectional Mario, sometimes causing intended actions to fluff and ultimately become the biggest obstacle of all.
  76. May 4, 2015
    Absolutely fantastic Mario game. The whole feel, the music, the controls, the graphics are exactly what you want from it. The 3D is very good - it doesn't add a lot to the gameplay (as with most 3DS games) but it does add nice depth to the backgrounds, and gives a certain extra something to landing your jumps on the enemies or platforms.

The level design is largely very good, but

The level design is largely very good, but leads to the one complaint I have - it's too short! I completed all 8 worlds and obtained all 3 star coins on all but a handful of the levels on the first try. The rest weren't hard to find. The levels are quite small so finding them wasn't a huge challenge. The special levels mix it up, and have so far been more difficult to complete 100%. The Bowser levels are few, but are very exciting, having you run towards the switch at the end a la Super Mario Bros on NES, except in a long, 3D section rather than a short bridge as in that original.

There is little replay value here in the short-term (unless you ARE struggling to get 3 star coins everywhere) but I definitely will run through it again probably every year or two, as I do with most other Mario titles.

Easily the best Super Mario (platforming) handheld game for sure, and gives many of the home console games a run for their money.
  77. Jul 9, 2014
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9.0/10 • Story: 6/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements +Great Variety in Level design
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 90/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements
    +Great Variety in Level design and Difficulty
    +Play as Mario (and Luigi later on)
    +A lot of elements from previous Mario games such as the NES series
    +Great Sound and Music work
    +Well designed visuals

Cons
    -Some notable characters were missing such as Yoshi and the Koopa Kids
    -2nd half of game is mainly a rehash of the first half with a few differences but nothing too noticeable
  78. Aug 5, 2013
    Pretty fun game. Most of the game is very easy but there are few hard levels. I like music in this game and graphics are almost as good as in Super Mario Galaxy. What I didn't like was the controls. Why can't I use d-pad? Circle Pad is pretty clunky but I got used to it.
  79. Apr 10, 2015
    Solid plattformer, without the quality thad made the series great, and without any innovations or especially well gameplay, level design, graphics or 3D.
    Pretty much feels like New Super Mario Bros in small 3D environments, which definitely isnt a bad thing, and i can certainly see people having fun with this game, but as the systems primary Mario game, it did disappoint me.
    All in

All in all, 80/100 points, for still being one of the best plattformers on the system...
  80. Aug 6, 2014
    It's a good game to play through once, but I don't think it's something I'll be playing again. I enjoyed the game overall but can't shake the feeling it wasn't very inspired. There are some levels that have good design to them but I felt like more than half of them just had you jumping across solid color blocks and platforms and not much else. Bosses are not plentiful. I know Mario isn'tIt's a good game to play through once, but I don't think it's something I'll be playing again. I enjoyed the game overall but can't shake the feeling it wasn't very inspired. There are some levels that have good design to them but I felt like more than half of them just had you jumping across solid color blocks and platforms and not much else. Bosses are not plentiful. I know Mario isn't really about the bosses and it's supposed to be simple, but I don't get what nintendo has against putting new things in mario. How about a couple new boss enemies so you're not playing a repeat of the koopa kid fight over and over? The platforming for the most part is good, but on some of the harder levels it gets frustrating trying to get Mario to land properly on small platforms, without him slipping and falling off. The majority of the levels don't have that problem but the worst was the crown level at the very end. They tried to make it the most challenging level in the game, but challenge is only fun when you know that dying is your fault and not the game's.

Anyway, like I said it was fun but by the end I was so burned out on it because of how simplistic and featureless it is.
  81. Jun 9, 2014
    When it comes to platform games Nintendo really know what they are doing and Super Mario 3D Land is a worthy addition to the Mario franchise. Gorgeous graphics,great music, well thought out level design, and a simple but effective control system.
    While it's not my favourite 3ds game I can certainly understand that it would be a favourite game for many.
    9/10.
  82. Feb 3, 2016
    I'm not even the biggest Nintendo, Mario, or platforming fan but this game is just casual fun. It perfectly takes advantage of all the features of the 3DS like 3D and the gyroscope. It's great in short bursts and there's tons of levels to play through and collect stars. Or you can go for time and speedrun the game. I just keep coming back to it to 3-star one more level.
  83. Jun 7, 2016
    Mario Platforming perfection, so many huge levels to play around in and enjoyable unlockables, also aiming to get a profile with 5 shiny stars on your 3ds card will give you around 30-40 hours of gameplay from this even for a Mario Veteran.
  84. Oct 10, 2015
    I spent a lot of my time playing .It's not the best Mario game,neither 3DS game,but is one of the best.Level design are good like all Mario.This game is a must have for the 3DS system.
  85. Apr 14, 2014
    great game but way too short and easy, its clear that this game was aimed for children. the bonus levels they put at the end of the game should of been part of the main game. also, its sometimes hard to tell where mario is and then he falls off the ledge, this happened to me way too many times.
  86. Oct 3, 2014
    Hey, hey! Said what? I like this one! All models were from Super Mario Galaxy. 30 FPS is not problem. Truly fun, perfect 3D presentation as the first Nintendo 3DS game. No 3D Land, no 3DS.
  87. Mar 23, 2014
    Really good mario game but lacks replay value like most of the others. Of course you can unlock harder version of the levels after beating the game but i didn't want to play again when everything is done unlike Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World which are still a blast to play more than 20 years after.
  88. Oct 19, 2015
    Listen, we all know what to expect from a mario game. You get that here just as you gotten it with every other iteration. The lone flaw with this game is the players ability to perceive depth. There are a few times in the game when it is difficult to tell when a platform you are jumping to is higher than the one you on. The 3D doesn't to a good enough job in this regard. It is not aListen, we all know what to expect from a mario game. You get that here just as you gotten it with every other iteration. The lone flaw with this game is the players ability to perceive depth. There are a few times in the game when it is difficult to tell when a platform you are jumping to is higher than the one you on. The 3D doesn't to a good enough job in this regard. It is not a problem that occurs very often but it is frustrating when it does. Other than that here is another great mario adventure. Expand
  89. Jan 12, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land was played for 18:35 minutes by me.

Super Mario 3D Land was played for 18:35 minutes by me.

So, I was expecting a game like this to come out, a hybrid of SMG1&2 and SM64 with some hints of NSMB in it. It was very good looking, and I went to grab it. As I played the level, I realized a couple of things that may seem awkward for long time Mario game players. Mario is extremely unresponsive when he jumps. This is a big downside because in other games, mario was responsive enough that you could easily dodge and avoid things that were coming at you. Another issue was the amount of levels. It's understandable that the game is linear and takes some more effort to make, but there are only around 5 levels a world, and 8 worlds, so you have a basic 40 levels in the game. That amount of gameplay won't be that much to entertain you, and the difficulty is very low. Now once you have all the star coins in each world though, Another set of 8 bonus worlds open up. It's very difficult to play with the unresponsive controls in those worlds, but that basically adds another 40 levels...BUT you actually get the same (usually) level with a few additions of spikes, time limit, or other things that don't really make it a separate level. I highly recommend this to platforming beginners and people who can find simplicity for their best, as this game is NOT recommended for long time Mario Fans that have mastered the art of platforming and want a challenge.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
    Story: 7/10
    Music: 8.5/10
    Presentation: 7.5/10
    Length: 6/10
    Overall: 7/10
  90. ERB
    Dec 7, 2013
    Super Mario 3D Land is a must buy game for you Mario Fans.This Game has an awesome game play and it is so addicting to play this game.The world in this game looks very creative and that is why I love it.The story in this game is so obvious but the story is not bad.Although the story is really obvious and we will all know what will happen so the story isn't really interesting.But it isSuper Mario 3D Land is a must buy game for you Mario Fans.This Game has an awesome game play and it is so addicting to play this game.The world in this game looks very creative and that is why I love it.The story in this game is so obvious but the story is not bad.Although the story is really obvious and we will all know what will happen so the story isn't really interesting.But it is still okay.The graphics is what should I say?Not good.I should admit It looks like I was playing a 2004 game rather than a 2011 game.

Well anyway despite hating the graphics and hating the story line the game play saved them all from sinking into a low score.I love the game play in this game because It is fun.The verdict for this game is a 7/10 a good game.This game is a must own game for you Mario fans and I hope you will buy this game and have fun.
  91. Dec 13, 2014
    A joyful romp, even though the difficulty doesn't ramp up until the special worlds come around. Expect all from it that you would any console 3D Mario release, but be ready to have to step things up a notch once you beat the main game.
  92. Jun 24, 2014
    So much fun! So much nostalgia. Looks great and loaded with charm and challenge. StreetPass features are pretty worthless, but otherwise a great experience overall. Easily a must-own 3DS title.
  93. Aug 7, 2013
    La salvación de Nintendo 3DS fue este juego, y debo admitir, fue el mejor juego (sin incluir remakes) de Nintendo 3DS durante todo un año y para ser un juego portátil, ofrece mucho y es de muy buena calidad, se ambienta en un mundo enorme y une perfectamente la escencia de los Mario 3D y los Mario 2D.
  94. Aug 22, 2013
    I must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as MarioI must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as Mario veterans. After many deaths the character has the option to get an invincibility suit, which allows enemies to be taken down with ease. If you continue to fail, the game developers allow you to skip to the goal post without any work (known as the P wing). However, to get the full spoils of the level you will have to play at a later date again. Like I said, the game is a masterpiece. It is a must own for any 3DS owner. Expand
  95. Jul 25, 2013
    Wow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn'tWow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn't let it go anymore. The use of the 3DS's amazing 3D capabilities is simply exceptional. Level design is brilliant. Camera movements are virtually perfect. While the Mario sidescrollers have gotten old for me, this kind of title is a reminder Nintendo are still veterans of good level design and great game mechanics and can still manage a hit like is Super Mario 3D Land! Expand
  96. Oct 20, 2013
    Almost my favorite 3ds game behind Mario Kart 7 all I can say is that its another Great 3D Mario game, that is also quite challenging and works great with the 3ds.
  97. Sep 13, 2013
    I love this game! I can't stop playing it. Mario is better than ever. Awesome 3D graphics,loads of levels,and best of all,endless fun. The new power-ups,like the Super Leaf and boomerang suit,are really awesome and helps a lot in this game. I wonder if there will be Super Mario 3D Land 2....
  98. Jul 17, 2013
    After Super Mario Galaxy 2's masterful achievement, I was hoping for a bit more. Super Mario 3D Land feels a bit like a digression. But there's no denying it's a excellent game anyway. It's just disappointing. Here's the thing. Galaxy felt more free, non-linear, and unpredictable. You never knew what to expect from a new galaxy. In 3D Land, the ideas aren't whizzing around as fast. ItAfter Super Mario Galaxy 2's masterful achievement, I was hoping for a bit more. Super Mario 3D Land feels a bit like a digression. But there's no denying it's a excellent game anyway. It's just disappointing. Here's the thing. Galaxy felt more free, non-linear, and unpredictable. You never knew what to expect from a new galaxy. In 3D Land, the ideas aren't whizzing around as fast. It definitely plays it safe. Level design is what perks it up, though. 3D Land takes the predictability and does a lot with it. Level design can also be annoyingly restrictive. Part of Galaxy's freedom was due to the loose design and the great camera. But 3D Land feels forceful all the time, like a 2D mario. It's fine in a mario bros. game because that's what it is, but not in a 3D platformer. There are also very few actual bosses, with mere repitions most of the time. Boom-boom in world 2, Boom-boom in world 3, e.t.c. The final boss is Bowser, but actually very good, maybe even the best final boss in a mario game, EVER. It may be linear, but 3D Land has got a good sixty hours of play if you want to get all the star medals (three in each level). These are challenging and greatly increase the replay value. And I have to say, while some levels are almost exactly the same as they would be in a 2D platformer, others have distances difficult to judge if the 3D effect is off. This is an excellent example of how 3D can be important in games. Expand
  99. Jul 28, 2013
    Great game, gameplay, "story", 3D design... The only downside to this game is that you have to beat every world at least 3 times to get all the badges, which becomes boring after a while
  100. Aug 3, 2013
    Gameplay-9: The gameplay is great and the action and exploration is fun every time, the difficulty of the levels can fluctuate a bit though.
    Length-10: This game has 16 huge worlds with lots of star medals to collect and you can always challenge your speed, very nice and lengthy game, especially for a handheld
    Sound-9: The sound is amazing, and sounds very well orchestrated. The reason
    Sound-9: The sound is amazing, and sounds very well orchestrated. The reason it gets a 9 is because, the music isn't quite as driving or epic as some other games, but overall very good
    Graphics-10. Very smooth detailed graphics, especially for a handheld.
    Fun-9: This game is great, it is really enjoyable looking for ways to find and solve ways to get medals, its almost as if they mixed in elements of the puzzle genre, without the frustration of having a nearly impossible puzzles.
    Overall: 9.4 Amazing

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Mario is back! In a classic Mario-fashion you jump your way througheight worlds, where you battle goombas, koopas and the main meaniehimself, Bowser. This game is never particularly difficult, butgradually advanced to a challenge that feels just perfect. Fun, varied and guaranteed to make you smile.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    Lifesaver for all Nintendo 3DS owners. Super Mario 3D Land delivers flawless design and perfect use of 3D effects during the whole game. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    The Nintendo 3DS has had a slow start, but I feel this marks one of the first important games to come out on this system. I can't say it's a must buy, but is really close for those who have already picked up a 3DS. The amount of content in this game along with the varying degree of gameplay makes this one of the best Mario games I've played in a while.