8.3

1. Oct 7, 2014
    Awesome and really fun game. If you have 3DS you must get this. Definitely one of the best 3DS games. The first few levels might be boring and easy, but it gets awesome and fun really quickly.
  2. Oct 3, 2014
    Hey, hey! Said what? I like this one! All models were from Super Mario Galaxy. 30 FPS is not problem. Truly fun, perfect 3D presentation as the first Nintendo 3DS game. No 3D Land, no 3DS.
  3. Sep 7, 2014
    This is an all-around solid platformer worthy of the Mario name. It's lighthearted and charming as you'd expect, though it comes dangerously close to being too easy. But don't worry; the game becomes challenging later on. The blend of 2D and 3D design philosophy is masterful at times, and feels truly inspired by what made old Mario games great.
  4. Aug 14, 2014
    It's like.. Mario's blessings on the new console.
    Thanks Mario for staying true to your fans and being the greatest platform character ever.
    the game is simply beautiful.
  5. Aug 6, 2014
    It's a good game to play through once, but I don't think it's something I'll be playing again. I enjoyed the game overall but can't shake the feeling it wasn't very inspired. There are some levels that have good design to them but I felt like more than half of them just had you jumping across solid color blocks and platforms and not much else. Bosses are not plentiful. I know Mario isn't really about the bosses and it's supposed to be simple, but I don't get what nintendo has against putting new things in mario. How about a couple new boss enemies so you're not playing a repeat of the koopa kid fight over and over? The platforming for the most part is good, but on some of the harder levels it gets frustrating trying to get Mario to land properly on small platforms, without him slipping and falling off. The majority of the levels don't have that problem but the worst was the crown level at the very end. They tried to make it the most challenging level in the game, but challenge is only fun when you know that dying is your fault and not the game's.

Anyway, like I said it was fun but by the end I was so burned out on it because of how simplistic and featureless it is.
  6. Aug 3, 2014
    This IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!! How can humans be capable of such grand endeavors. They have to be wizards. With such flawless design and impeccable timing it's almost heavenly. A true god send. If you hate Mario games get it.
  7. Jul 9, 2014
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land Genre: Adventure/Platformer Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9.0/10 • Story: 6/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements +Great Variety in Level design and Difficulty
    +Play as Mario (and Luigi later on)
    +A lot of elements from previous Mario games such as the NES series
    +Great Sound and Music work
    +Well designed visuals

Cons
    -Some notable characters were missing such as Yoshi and the Koopa Kids
    -2nd half of game is mainly a rehash of the first half with a few differences but nothing too noticeable
  8. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super Mario 3D Land is a great Mario game with a few things holding it back from standing out.

The gameplay is as you'd expect, the controls feel tight and responsive and stomping on goombas is as satisfying as ever. The level design is great and levels are short to suit the handheld style. The new power ups are great, with both the tanooki and boomerang suits being a blast to play with. Complaints that the game is short are in my opinion unfounded. Yes the 8 worlds are over pretty quickly but you then unlock a whole 8 new 'special worlds' meaning the game will easily take 16 odd hours to finish and that's before you even collect the star coins (which in general is fun rather than it being a chore). My issue is not the length but that the special worlds are a little repetitive. They're essentially levels you've already played with extra enemies or new elements thrown in such as shadow Mario or a decreased time limit. While this makes a fun challenge it gets repetitive when certain levels are used 3 or 4 times and occasionally feels like things have been made difficult for the sake of it, rather than challenging in a fun way.

Visually the game makes great use of the 3D (the birds eye view levels where Mario looks as if he's jumping out the screen were a highlight) and is a good showcase of the 3DS' capabilities. Levels are generally full of colour and vibrant but occasionally feel a bit sterile, I couldn't put my finger on why but I think it might be the lack of detail in the background on some levels. The sound is as strong as ever with cool tunes and sound effects throughout.

In conclusion this is a great first handheld 3D outing for the plumber but the repetitive special worlds and lack of that intangible magic that Mario titles often bring holds it back from standing out from the rest of Mario's catalogue. If you own a 3DS then you should own this, it's one of the best games on the system. If you don't, it's probably not quite special enough to warrant the purchase of one just for this game.
  9. Jun 28, 2014
    Mario 3D land is not too innovative, only 4 music tracks stood out too me, the bosses are some of the most repetitive bosses i have ever faced, lame special world, and a HATE the fact that this is just a excuse for a new Mario series were all they did was copying Mario galaxy. but, this game has it's charm and is more addicting than every game i have played so far i sound more negative than positive but this game have soo much charm too it that i just love it. Expand
  10. Jun 24, 2014
    So much fun! So much nostalgia. Looks great and loaded with charm and challenge. StreetPass features are pretty worthless, but otherwise a great experience overall. Easily a must-own 3DS title.
  11. Jun 18, 2014
    Vacating exploration for precision platforming galore, 3D Land ambitiously restates Mario's undertaking in the third dimension to great success. Late game challenges will demand untold accuracy of the omnidirectional Mario, sometimes causing intended actions to fluff and ultimately become the biggest obstacle of all.
  12. Jun 9, 2014
    When it comes to platform games Nintendo really know what they are doing and Super Mario 3D Land is a worthy addition to the Mario franchise. Gorgeous graphics,great music, well thought out level design, and a simple but effective control system.
    While it's not my favourite 3ds game I can certainly understand that it would be a favourite game for many.
    9/10.
  13. May 24, 2014
    This is why I have a 3ds this why I love Mario great graphics great design I give this a ten and love how great this is and how detailed this is get this Now
  14. May 13, 2014
    I haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole new world (literally :P) to explore, the 3D graphics are awesome. But I found this game to be very challenging it's not a bad thing just surprising so be ready for a challenge. And the replayability is good, after you finish a stage there is always something I missed (time clock) and it's fun to collect more coins and go through the same stage and find secrets and the rest of the tokens.

I highly recommend Super Mario 3D Land.
  15. Apr 29, 2014
    There's no question – if you own a 3DS, this is the best game on the platform, and instantly worthy of a purchase. It's one of the best portable platformers I've ever played graphics spot and and the 3d effects are amazing
  16. Apr 26, 2014
    Very good game, very fun to play and it was well worth the money! The only problem that I have with this game is that it is just far too easy. I completed it all within 5 hours of playtime which is quiet frankly outrageous. I know that Nintendo aim Mario at kids nowadays, but come on, at least make it challenging with difficulty settings or something!
  17. Apr 16, 2014
    Really good game. It combines the 3d platforming of 64 and the linear worlds and levels of bros and creates a great game. The music is good and the level design is genius. The extra worlds can have you playing till you get every star coin.
  18. Apr 14, 2014
    great game but way too short and easy, its clear that this game was aimed for children. the bonus levels they put at the end of the game should of been part of the main game. also, its sometimes hard to tell where mario is and then he falls off the ledge, this happened to me way too many times.
  19. Apr 13, 2014
    an insanely easy mario game that brings absolutely nothing new to the table besides ruining 3d mario forever. Seriously the easiness of this game is laughable.
  20. Apr 10, 2014
    Always been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it's not as bad as say Sonic 06, uhh, but the game has sometimes annoying 8-way directional control that allows you to go in one & only one direction which is disappointing when using the circle pad, sometimes I'll push one direction, especially in 2D sections, but due to only being allowed to use the circle pad, I could find myself going in a different direction than I intended, causing me to fall from the platforms to the deep pits below, it's a nit-pick as this hardly ever happens to me, but on those few occasions it was irritating! Expand
  21. Apr 9, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land seems to be mixed by a lot of people. The game has a 64 feeling to it, yet has a different touch as well. The game overall is pretty good. What it lacks is a replay value. Once you beat it...you beat it. 8/10
  22. Apr 8, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land is not only one of the most fun platformers I've played, it is one of the better 3DS games available. The graphics are gorgeous, and the difficulty slowly increases allowing for both skilled and rookie gamers to enjoy themselves. Fail a stage too many times, and you will get the option to unlock items at the beginning of the level that help you complete it without any trouble by offering invincibility for extended periods of time.

Personally, I found the first half of the game fairly easy, and was worried, but the second half is far more difficult and it is very rewarding when you finally beat a level that has killed you ten times in a row. The level design is quite good, although some of the best elements are only used on one or two stages.
  23. Apr 3, 2014
    at first this is WOW, it's like a pocket mario galaxy version of the classic mario bros or something, but, after a while playing, you notice, the levels are super short, and they use the exact same level designs sometimes 6 times or more, changing slight details like the placement of a single trap and enemies...
    super exciting at first, then, slowly gets a bit tiring, especially with the
    requirements for 100% completion, what's worst is the requirement for getting the shiny 5 stars in your save file, you screw up once and might as well erase your save file and start over, because you lost it, forever.
    the gameplay is fantastic, but the game is too short to enjoy it fully.
  24. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I very much enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, it was very fun. I really liked the formula they introduced in this game, it was creative because it combined elements from both the 2d Mario games and the 3d Mario games; Think Super Mario Bros. 3 combined with New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy. It was very enjoyable in this style, however I think this is unfortunately one of the easiest Mario games out there, luckily the levels the bonus worlds are harder, but I kind of wish we had more of a challenge in the regular levels. Super Mario 3D Land is very fun and very enjoyable, it's a must have for the 3DS and I can't wait to play it' sequel, Super Mario 3D World, once I get myself a Wii U. Expand
  25. Mar 23, 2014
    Really good mario game but lacks replay value like most of the others. Of course you can unlock harder version of the levels after beating the game but i didn't want to play again when everything is done unlike Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World which are still a blast to play more than 20 years after.
  26. Mar 18, 2014
    Mario has definitely come a long way on handhelds, and this is proof of that. This game is the best handheld mario experience to date, and will hopefully get even better. The game has incredible level design only matched on the console versions of mario, such as Galaxy and 3D World.
    Pros; -Level design (It has the best level design on any handheld mario game, and is almost perfect)
    Presentation (The game boasts very vivid and eye-pleasing colors, and the 3D is great)
    - Replay Value (This is a game that you will want to play many times while waiting for something, like the bus)
    Cons; - Difficulty (The game can be very easy once you get the jist of the game)
    - Content (It took me 28 hours to 100% the game, and has been done in much less time by others)
    Overall, the game is the best handheld mario game on the market, and it's almost obligatory to own this game. If you don't already have it, do yourself a favor and buy this unique handheld mario game that will hopefully pave the way for future mario releases.
  27. Mar 4, 2014
    Just another Mario game. There isn't much new brought to this game, however what Nintendo have brought is their usual high standards and quality. If I managed to find a single fault its that its too easy to begin with, of course you do have to remember that this is essentially a children game, and near the end it does become challenging,

It is an essential game for the 3Ds that provides
    a rich world, populated with puzzles and interesting characters and some frustrating challenges.. Expand
  28. Feb 16, 2014
    As always, gameplay wise it doesn't get much better. My problem is that it all feels too clinical. It's not a world that Mario is adventuring through, it feels more like a lab experiment. Still had good fun though
  29. Feb 2, 2014
    This game is ok, but nothing special. It is a 3D jump 'n' run title with nice levels. Still it is way too easy and way too short. I got it for free during some promotion thing, but I would never buy it.
  30. Jan 29, 2014
    This is honestly my favorite 3DS game. I played Super Mario 3D World before I played this and I hesitated on buying this because I wasn't blown away by 3D World and I thought that the games might be similar. Well, they are not. 3D Land is completely made with the 3D feature in mind and is just a straight up pure mario game. This is my favorite Mario game since Super Mario 64. I like 3D World and this game actually makes me appreciate it a little more, but this game just has the 'it' factor. I just like playing it. Every single level I have played (I just got to stage 8) has been a lot of fun. Not necessarily the most challenging (I have 54 lives), but very, very, fun and just an unbelievably good game for a hand held. This is definitely the best playform for this type of mario game which pulls from various influences while innovating with the 3D aspect. Expand
  31. Jan 12, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land was played for 18:35 minutes by me.

So, I was expecting a game like this to come out, a hybrid of SMG1&2 and SM64 with some hints of NSMB in it. It was very good looking, and I went to grab it. As I played the level, I realized a couple of things that may seem awkward for long time Mario game players. Mario is extremely unresponsive when he jumps. This is a big
    downside because in other games, mario was responsive enough that you could easily dodge and avoid things that were coming at you. Another issue was the amount of levels. It's understandable that the game is linear and takes some more effort to make, but there are only around 5 levels a world, and 8 worlds, so you have a basic 40 levels in the game. That amount of gameplay won't be that much to entertain you, and the difficulty is very low. Now once you have all the star coins in each world though, Another set of 8 bonus worlds open up. It's very difficult to play with the unresponsive controls in those worlds, but that basically adds another 40 levels...BUT you actually get the same (usually) level with a few additions of spikes, time limit, or other things that don't really make it a separate level. I highly recommend this to platforming beginners and people who can find simplicity for their best, as this game is NOT recommended for long time Mario Fans that have mastered the art of platforming and want a challenge.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
    Story: 7/10
    Music: 8.5/10
    Presentation: 7.5/10
    Length: 6/10
    Overall: 7/10
  32. Jan 8, 2014
    One of the best games on the 3DS hands down. 3D Land has so far the best visuals on the 3DS, the game looks that impressive. Great level design, great music, a fun climax. This is pretty much what a 3D Mario game should be on a handheld.
  33. Jan 8, 2014
    For a game that's getting so much praise it's really nothing special. It seems as if the lack of any story is common in the Marioverse so I'll just skip this. The graphics are OK, but everything looks somewhat sterile to me. Yeah, everything looks like it should (and it looks even better when you consider that you're playing it on a 2ds), but everything is lacking that special something that's everywhere in games like Rayman Legends. The gameplay is amazing, Mario corresponds to commands like you would expect him to, there is no way to deny that. The level design is overall boring and way too easy in the first half of the game, but the second half will test you and in the levels with the Shadow Mario it will break you; these levels are the ones that destroyed the whole fun for me. These levels aren't difficult, they are straight out annoying. The reward for completing the game 100% (which is more of a chore than fun) is a single level which I didn't even bother playing as I was sick and tired of this game at that point. I would recommend this game to everyone who like Jump & Runs and owns a 2ds, but don't bother finishing the whole game, it's not worth it. Expand
  34. Jan 5, 2014
    when I was a young kid I felt nintendo should release a super mario game each year. It could just have the Super Mario World engine with new levels, and it would still be an outstanding game.

By 'outstanding I don't mean 'the ultimate gaming experience' that was Super Mario 64. Super mario 3D land is an outstanding game and you will have lots of fun playing all levels and collecting
    star coins, as it is real fun to revisit levels to get them.

It is the best game to take the advantage of the 3D, since the effect is somewhat required to play some levels better, which makes you proud to have a nintendo 3DS.

What I don't like about this Super Mario 3D Land is it praises too much the older marios, dedicating whole levels to remember you how awesome Mario 3 was. Ok Nintendo we get it: old school games are awesome and you we should (re)play them, but you don't have to bother us about it all that much.

I also feel the 'powerups' are a bit underused, with little to no real meaning in the game level design-wise.

The first half of the game is way too easy. I know about 'entry level barrier' and I feel it every time I present this game to a non gamer. But after world 4-5 or something it should get a bit tougher, and when the game is at its peak with their hardest levels presented there should me more and hardest levels, for the ones who really want a challenge, which ultimately isn't there.

The 'tanooki of shame', given if you die too much in a level doesn't help either, since I believe a player should learn and get better at the game to beat a level, and not being spoiled by it.

Lastly, the world map is just a straight line of levels; an element of the game that could be more elaborated and explored.

Definetly one of the best 3ds titles, though I feel nintendo could have done a bit more in this game; maybe they are saving it for the new super mario on Wii U.
  35. Jan 4, 2014
    This game is one of the best games out there for the 3DS, hands down. Although there is a bit of a problem with the level-skipping Invincibility Leaf, it can easily be overlooked you can continue to play the game without having to resort to it. Difficulty aside, I would really recommend this game for anyone who enjoys a good platformer.
  36. Dec 29, 2013
    This is probably tied with A Link Between Worlds as the best game for the 3DS. When I saw the new game, I thought, "Gee, another Mario game, but in 3D! This is ridiculous." But then I got it for Christmas, and I didn't know that I played it till 10:00 p.m. until I bothered to look at the clock. This game demonstrates the 3DS's capabilities, and Nintendo made it with great care. This game is loads of fun and will hook you instantly, with levels that remind me of a cross between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario World. It's fun, fast, and beautiful. The world is seamless and the music is great. This is a console seller. Expand
  37. Dec 21, 2013
    mario*_*
    -must for all jump and run player

good thinks:
    it has a lot levels
    the graphic is good
    it has 16. worlds
    the 3d is good

negativ
    -no veriaty in the levels
    -its to easy only the last level is hard
  38. Dec 12, 2013
    This game is okay. I really think this gave does not deserves all the respect although. Yes I know it is indeed a Mario game. Finally gameplay change from the past 6 years and I'm proud of that. However this game is more repetitive then people are though to be believing. This game has stolen models of the enemies, coins, mushrooms excluding the poison mushroom, and music. Ghost house repeated cosmic Mario entirely repeated and sky world repeated. The gameplay ain't bad. Music is pretty good excluding the Mario galaxies rip offs. Only 3 power up are in the game which include the tonoki leaf, boomerang the only new power up and the fire flower. I guess I could say that the level design is the only remarks of new in the game. However this even has a problem on how pafaticly easy the game is until you reach special world 7. The special world is also a let down due to the reused levels in the game with minor enemy and rule adjustment. Beating the game 100% is almost literally use less except to get a stupid bonus level with even gets rid of the pipe in special world 8. No joke it just one hard level. That's near imposiable with the cheap item the tonoki leaf. After that this game also has no replay value at all. Plus the street pass feature is fairly broken. Why because if you don't go out and you have a brother who only played the game once. You only get the same block over and over again. Plus even that your indeed rewarded for it with two star coins every time you beat it. So what's the point of collecting the stat coins if you got over 300 of them just by street passing. For just one stage it just disappointing. I don't know about you guys bur this game is just a recycled super Mario galaxy 2 game with pointless achievements. I sorry but this game is nor on my like list. Expand
  39. ERB
    Dec 7, 2013
    Super Mario 3D Land is a must buy game for you Mario Fans.This Game has an awesome game play and it is so addicting to play this game.The world in this game looks very creative and that is why I love it.The story in this game is so obvious but the story is not bad.Although the story is really obvious and we will all know what will happen so the story isn't really interesting.But it is still okay.The graphics is what should I say?Not good.I should admit It looks like I was playing a 2004 game rather than a 2011 game.

Well anyway despite hating the graphics and hating the story line the game play saved them all from sinking into a low score.I love the game play in this game because It is fun.The verdict for this game is a 7/10 a good game.This game is a must own game for you Mario fans and I hope you will buy this game and have fun.
  40. Nov 27, 2013
    A nice first experience for Mario's first dive into the latest handheld. The gameplay is unique and fun, the 3D works wonders, and the atmosphere is very Mario-like.
  41. Nov 26, 2013
    This game is freaking overrated I swear sly cooper and the thievious raccoonus is a better game. I have hatred that sly is ruined in February 2013 and sanzaru did a good job with the hd collection. Go play mario 64 ds I can't stand it pokemon is better than this crud.
  42. Nov 16, 2013
    This is the most perfect... thing to come out of Nintendo's unoriginal mind. If you got this packaged with the red 3DS, good for you, that was the wisest purchase of your life. Though, yes there is little new power-ups, that doesn't stop this game from exploding your thumbs from not having an awesomeness shield. I would write more, if i wasn't too lazy.
  43. Oct 20, 2013
    Almost my favorite 3ds game behind Mario Kart 7 all I can say is that its another Great 3D Mario game, that is also quite challenging and works great with the 3ds.
  44. Oct 19, 2013
    This game is good as frick. All the people that complain about this game are idiots who bash this game for being different from previous 3D Super Mario titles. This game combines characteristics of the original four 2D platforming Super Mario titles (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World) with the more recent 3D platforming Mario titles (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2). The turnout, one may be asking? The turnout is the perfect blend of everything a true Mario fan could possibly adore about the series over the years, and more. The Tanooki Suit returns from Super Mario Bros. 3, with our the ability to fly and transform into a statue unlike SMB3, but still retains the ability to glide and tail-whip enemies and objects. Also, you transform into Tanooki Mario by touching the Super Leat instead of touching the Tanooki icon. Plus, there's a variation of the Tanooki Suit that adds the ability to transform into a statue. There are also other power-ups, such as the classic Super Mushroom and Fire Flower, the new Boomerang Flower based off of Boomerang Bros. and inspired by the Hammer Bros. Suit from SMB3, the White Tanooki Suit, granting Mario invincibility, and the P-Wing, returning from SMB3. It functions differently from SMB3, though, as it transports Mario to the goal this time around. There are 16 worlds in total, including 8 worlds in the main story campaign, and 8 special worlds, making 96 courses in total. Luigi is unlockable after beating Special World 1's castle level. The gameplay itself contains levels that are much more linear than previous 3D Mario titles, distinguishing it from the rest. Mario's health system functions like the 2D Mario titles, as you shrink or lose a power-up every time you take damage. The levels are designed like the 2D Mario games, focused more on platforming than exploration, unlike previous Mario titles. The game takes perfect use of the 3DS's capabilities, as the 3D effect really makes this game look appealing to the eye, and helps in sections involving puzzles where 3D comes in handy to help the player reach the Comet Medal, and the gyroscope is taken advantage of in areas where you must look through binoculars or shoot Mario out of a cannon, and the touch screen is used to use stored power-up items. The game is somewhat weak story-wise, but who cares? This is a Mario platformer, not a Mario RPG. The game has a high amount of replay value, encouraging players to 100% complete the game (including gold flagpoles on each level and to collect all Comet Medals, which I did) to unlock a final level that test players' skills known as Special World 8-Crown (which I completed). The music has quite memorable jazz music (which reminds me of 1950's big band music), as well as other memorable tracks, including remixed tracks from previous games in the Mario series. There is even a Streetpass feature, including the exchanging of others' bonus games (where you must collect every coin and Comet Medal in the room before time runs out) and others' time records (encourages speed runs). My main complaints about this game are that the main story campaign is too easy (not counting the Special Worlds), the boss battles are repetitive (only 3 boss characters, alternating in each world), there is no hub world, it's somewhat nostalgia-reliant, and the linearity makes this game inferior to the other 3D Mario titles. Nonetheless, this is the first handheld-exclusive 3D Mario title, and it is quite a fantastic Mario title overall. Overall, I give this game a 9.4 out of 10, which when rounded up to the nearest whole number, is a 9 out of 10. I highly recommend this game to any 3DS owner, and any fan of Mario or the platforming genre. Expand
  45. Oct 19, 2013
    Good enough. Honestly, I had some fun playing this game and it killed my boredom, but the levels were very linear. Linear is okay once in a while, but at this point everyone's gasping for something new. And at first glace, it looks like they did but did they really? No. It's New Super Mario Bros but with a few blocks forward and backward. I never had a feeling of exploration, and the level design here went for quantity instead of quality. Certainly, it was decent, but it wasn't developed. Having a time limit and a flagpole really brought this game down. I would have much preferred, perhaps, Super Mario Sunshine 2, or even just another Mario 64-like game. Again, decent, but not in any way captivating or exciting. Expand
  46. Sep 22, 2013
    excelente juego completamente en 3D, muy entretenido y adictivo, ademas es de bastante duracion porque cuando terminas el juego con Mario puedes jugar 8 mundos especiales con Luigi y son mucho mas dificiles, de los mejores juegos de Nintendo 3DS
  47. Sep 14, 2013
    I have a hard time believing this game wasn't entirely aimed at small children. The levels are way too short--some can literally be completed in less than 20 seconds. There isn't even a hint at mild difficulty until the 6th or 7th special worlds. Even then they're more annoying than challenging.

I really don't like the "completion" aspect added to Mario games, because it triggers my OCD
    and makes me spend wayyy too much time playing a game. Was it hard? Absolutely not. Was it time-consuming? Yes. Fun games like Mario titles should never FORCE you into gameplay just to have a feeling of accomplishment. Beating hard levels is a satisfying sense of accomplishment. Just let me beat the last friggin' boss and be done with it. Realizing I had to beat every level TWICE and get every star and every gold flag just to play the last level was the biggest buzzkill ever. At least it gave comfort to the fact that all the levels are so short. Leave the completionist elements to the RPG genre, that's where they belong.

And what is with Nintendo completely ignoring canon? Koopa shells you can't pick up and pirahna plants you can jump on? What crap is this? It just doesn't make any sense to anyone who has played Mario games for more than two years. I kept having to remind myself that the rules have been completely changed and for no good reason whatsoever. Also having parts of the game that force you to use 3D is not a good idea. I like to always have the 3D slider turned off because really no one cares about that stupid gimmick. Not being able to navigate certain rooms and levels without it turned on is like slapping the player in the face. STOP.

The only reason I'm not rating this game in the red is because the graphics are crisp and fun and I really enjoyed the diverse array of power-ups. Now it would be nice to see a Mario game that has all these without forcing you to do stuff you don't want to do.
  48. Sep 13, 2013
    I love this game! I can't stop playing it. Mario is better than ever. Awesome 3D graphics,loads of levels,and best of all,endless fun. The new power-ups,like the Super Leaf and boomerang suit,are really awesome and helps a lot in this game. I wonder if there will be Super Mario 3D Land 2....
  49. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. after all of these years most mario games on handhelds have been in 2D sidescroling. but then nintendo ended this streak with super mario 3D land on the 3DS. The first original 3D super mario game on a handheld console. The game looks great in graphics, the 3D effect sometimes helps you play the game, everything just feels better with the 3D on. the gameplay is like a mixture of super mario 64, super mario galaxy, and new super mario bros, it's a 3D mario game that plays like a 2D mario game, so you walk through levels like super mario 64 or galaxy and end the level by touching the flagpole, no looking for shine sprites or power stars to finish the level, nope you just touch the flagpole, I really like this blend of gameplay and think that it really works well. This game also brings back the tanooki suit from super mario bros 3, and I really like that they brought a classic power up into a 3D world. the 3D effect has two levels, pop out 3D where the images look like they're popping off the screen, and depth 3D the images look like you're looking at them from a window. the 3D helps you with the game because there are some puzzles that can only be solved if the 3D effect is on, the illusions like a bunch of boxes and one box is far away but looks like it's with all of the other boxes. These illusions were very cool and it really made the game a lot better. just like the other mario games, the story is simple, Princess peach has been kidnapped by bowser and mario has to save her. There are 8 worlds and 8 special worlds that get unlocked after completing the main game. you also can hunt down star coins which are hidden in levels to unlock more levels in the special worlds, this adds a lot of replay value to the game. the star coins aren't just used to unlock levels in the special worlds, they also unlock castles in world 5 and world 8. by the way, let's talk about the bosses, in castles world 5 and 8 you fight bowser, and the rest of the worlds have starships just like super mario bros 3, and the boss of the starships is some guy who just spins around untill he gets dizzy. all in all this is a great mario game and is a must have for all 3DS owners, it's not as good as good as the super mario galaxy games but it's pretty close. Expand
  50. Aug 22, 2013
    I must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as Mario veterans. After many deaths the character has the option to get an invincibility suit, which allows enemies to be taken down with ease. If you continue to fail, the game developers allow you to skip to the goal post without any work (known as the P wing). However, to get the full spoils of the level you will have to play at a later date again. Like I said, the game is a masterpiece. It is a must own for any 3DS owner. Expand
  51. Aug 19, 2013
    I'm a little blown away by how many high ratings this game got...My first game was the original Mario on the NES so please don't think this review Bias, I made this account literally just to rate this game. Super Mario 3D Land has AMAZING levels that are each unique, but because of how easy this game is you will breeze past them without fully appreciating them. This game passes out power-ups, free lives and easy check points like no other. If you get more then 7 hours out of this game I will be VERY impressed, once you beat it there will be no satisfaction because you will never have felt any risk of losing at any point. By the end of the game I had 140 extra lives and rarely lost any, even if I did lose some each level would pretty much hand out 2-4 more lives anyway.

If you have a friend with this game go ahead and borrow for the weekend, but it is no where near worth the $40 or the high praise it seems to be getting. You will forget about this game very quickly and it won't live anywhere near to the expectancy the original games did.
  52. Aug 16, 2013
    Easily one of the best Mario games ever and my favorite 3DS game (it's like Super Mario Galaxy mixed with New Super Mario Bros.) if you own a 3DS do yourself a favor and buy it trust me you won't be disappointed.
  53. Aug 7, 2013
    La salvación de Nintendo 3DS fue este juego, y debo admitir, fue el mejor juego (sin incluir remakes) de Nintendo 3DS durante todo un año y para ser un juego portátil, ofrece mucho y es de muy buena calidad, se ambienta en un mundo enorme y une perfectamente la escencia de los Mario 3D y los Mario 2D.
  54. Aug 5, 2013
    Pretty fun game. Most of the game is very easy but there are few hard levels. I like music in this game and graphics are almost as good as in Super Mario Galaxy. What I didn't like was the controls. Why can't I use d-pad? Circle Pad is pretty clunky but I got used to it.
  55. Aug 4, 2013
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential. Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games. There is not a lot of bad things to say about this game. In general everything is great. It can be frustrating at times, but just like with the majority of Mario games, it gets frustrating because of you, not because of the game. Fortunately, or maybe in this case unfortunately, the instances where it gets frustrating are not very many because this is a very easy game. Some of the stages later on can get a bit tougher, but even with extra content unlocked, this game lasted me about 22 hours.

+ Great visuals and 3D
    + Fun Gameplay
    + Easy to play on the go
    + Classic Mario greatness

- Very short game

Despite the game being short, this is still a 10 using this rating system.

A MUST HAVE for every 3DS owner.
  56. Aug 3, 2013
    Gameplay-9: The gameplay is great and the action and exploration is fun every time, the difficulty of the levels can fluctuate a bit though.
    Length-10: This game has 16 huge worlds with lots of star medals to collect and you can always challenge your speed, very nice and lengthy game, especially for a handheld
    Sound-9: The sound is amazing, and sounds very well orchestrated. The reason
    it gets a 9 is because, the music isn't quite as driving or epic as some other games, but overall very good
    Graphics-10. Very smooth detailed graphics, especially for a handheld.
    Fun-9: This game is great, it is really enjoyable looking for ways to find and solve ways to get medals, its almost as if they mixed in elements of the puzzle genre, without the frustration of having a nearly impossible puzzles.
    Overall: 9.4 Amazing
  57. Jul 28, 2013
    Great game, gameplay, "story", 3D design... The only downside to this game is that you have to beat every world at least 3 times to get all the badges, which becomes boring after a while
  58. Jul 25, 2013
    Wow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn't let it go anymore. The use of the 3DS's amazing 3D capabilities is simply exceptional. Level design is brilliant. Camera movements are virtually perfect. While the Mario sidescrollers have gotten old for me, this kind of title is a reminder Nintendo are still veterans of good level design and great game mechanics and can still manage a hit like is Super Mario 3D Land! Expand
  59. Jul 21, 2013
    This game has a nice twist: A 3D platformer with 2D side-scrolling elements. It's a very enjoyable game, and I enjoy how they bring back the Tanooki suit after over 20 years of absence. Though it does get harder as it goes on (with a total of 16 worlds) I recommend it.
  60. Jul 17, 2013
    After Super Mario Galaxy 2's masterful achievement, I was hoping for a bit more. Super Mario 3D Land feels a bit like a digression. But there's no denying it's a excellent game anyway. It's just disappointing. Here's the thing. Galaxy felt more free, non-linear, and unpredictable. You never knew what to expect from a new galaxy. In 3D Land, the ideas aren't whizzing around as fast. It definitely plays it safe. Level design is what perks it up, though. 3D Land takes the predictability and does a lot with it. Level design can also be annoyingly restrictive. Part of Galaxy's freedom was due to the loose design and the great camera. But 3D Land feels forceful all the time, like a 2D mario. It's fine in a mario bros. game because that's what it is, but not in a 3D platformer. There are also very few actual bosses, with mere repitions most of the time. Boom-boom in world 2, Boom-boom in world 3, e.t.c. The final boss is Bowser, but actually very good, maybe even the best final boss in a mario game, EVER. It may be linear, but 3D Land has got a good sixty hours of play if you want to get all the star medals (three in each level). These are challenging and greatly increase the replay value. And I have to say, while some levels are almost exactly the same as they would be in a 2D platformer, others have distances difficult to judge if the 3D effect is off. This is an excellent example of how 3D can be important in games. Expand
  61. Jul 13, 2013
    This game goes under the heading of essential 3DS games to own and play. It's fantastic fun and there is a ton of things to unlock and hunting down 3 stars for every level will take a good while. The later levels are devilish, of course you have a bajillion lives but they are quite tricky. If you don't come away from the very last level cursing toads everywhere you are a super human my friend.
  62. Jun 23, 2013
    Allow me to begin my extremely negative review by stating this: There was a time when Mario games were simple, yet quite difficult. (A.K.A Super Mario Bros. 3, though some would disagree) I feel that, throughout the years, the Super Mario games have become so easy as to be ridiculous. There is almost no difficulty factor in the games for me anymore, and Super Mario 3D Land is by far no exception. I breezed through the game in less than 11 hours, which led me to wonder why Nintendo is not looking to the gamers who grew up around Mario and are trying to appeal to the younger generation ONLY. Would it not be a plausible idea to appeal to both generations? (The gen that grew up with it and the gen that is growing up with it) The levels in this game were murderously short in some cases, and some of the levels were annoyingly easy. Granted, there were a handful of levels here and there that were mildly challenging, but I feel, in closing, that the Mario franchise is, and I never thought I'd say this, but...

I feel the Mario franchise is dying a slow and painful death. Now, I know a HUGE amount of people would disagree with my entire review, and that is completely fine. Some modern Mario games DO have some unique charms to them, but if only the levels would be made more difficult, or a difficulty level added in proper, then I think my reviews would be a lot more uplifting.
  63. May 3, 2013
    Looked good but most the levels was very easy to figure out and do, non the levels was quite hard has Mario Galaxy was.

So if you must know it was a straight one linear game that's what you Mario fans get nothing to hard to do and same boring story as usual like Bowser kipnapps Peach yet again yawn.

Most of his moves was gone too eg the backflip move anyway can't remember all them
    but they was not on this game unlike Mario 64. Expand
  64. Apr 30, 2013
    This is best of the Mario 3DS games. It has really cool power-ups, awesome levels, cool adventures, really classic 3D and lots of secrets to find and shortcuts to skip through levels. That is why I rate it 10/10. You can get the cool photos from completing the worlds and put them in your photo app.
  65. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is a tremendous amount of fun! It has everything you want on a game.Great controls, visuals, character and sound.If you own a 3DS and you dont have it go running to your store and buy it
  66. Apr 23, 2013
    I must confess that I was never a fan of Mario games for a couple of reasons: as a child, I thought that the graphics were boring, with too many regular shapes and few colours, compared to games like Rayman for instance; I didn't like the lack of a health meter and the time limit of each level; finally, the difficulty level seemed a bit high. It is true that I have only played a few Mario games, the first one on the NES and a few on the GBA. In any case, Super Mario 3D Land has changed my opinion regarding all the matters mentioned above.

The graphics are excellent, probably the best on the 3ds so far. The colours are rich and bright, and each level has its own theme with unique elements. The 3d effect is very good and it is one of the few games where the effect really improves gameplay. There are many power-ups in the game, which apart from giving an extra power, allow the character to take 2 hits. You can also store an additional power-up, so the lack of a health meter is no longer a significant issue. Although there is still a time limit, there is plenty of time to finish each level. Finally, the difficulty of the main game is low to medium. For those looking for a challenge, after completing the main game you unlock the special worlds with higher difficulty (this part is equal in length to the main game).

However, there are a few things which I didn't like about this game, and this is why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. At some point, the game becomes repetitive. From the beginning, you will notice that there are only two types of boss fights (with the exception of the last). You might ignore this aspect in the main game, since the other levels are very different. However, many of the levels in the special worlds are variations of the levels in the main game. This might also be acceptable, since it is very difficult to come up with completely new levels in such a game. The problem is that in order to complete the game 100%, you will sometimes have to repeat levels in order to collect all the coins and get the golden flags. But even worse, after completing all the levels with Mario, you will also have to complete them with Luigi. Repeating everything also means hearing "Wahoo", "Wee", "Mah", "Waa", "Aaaah" hundreds of times, and the same music tracks. This might be very annoying for some people.

Another complaint is the lack of a physical manual. Paying 30 pounds for this game, I was expecting to find a proper manual. Not only that the physical manual is missing, but also an important information. If any of the assisting blocks appears (after you die more than 5 times in a row) and you save the game afterwards, you can't finish the game with the "shiny stars" achievement.

To sum things up, I highly recommend this game and apart from the problems mentioned above, I think it is one of the best 3ds games released so far.
  67. Apr 23, 2013
    I'm going to make what many would brand a controversial statement, but here it is anyway; Super Mario 3D Land is the best handheld game ever made! And please know that I am not some gushing Nintendoist fanboy. My personal handheld weapon of choice is my PS Vita, but it's first-party masterpieces like this that stop me from ever chopping my XL in.

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly
    smashes) expectations in every single department: gameplay, graphics, animation, use of 3D, soundtrack, controls, content, level design, difficulty, variety... the list goes on and on. And on. There's even a surprise or two along the way!

I've so far ploughed more than fifty hours into this deeply accomplished and wonderfully nuanced 3D platform adventure, and I enjoyed, nay loved, every single minute. I've completed everything, found every secret, and unlocked every level, and yet, I'm still far from done with my escapades in 3D Land. A year-and-half since it's release, I still regularly find myself picking it up for twenty minutes here and half an hour there. Sometimes longer.

I said at the top of this mini review, that Super Mario 3D Land is the finest handheld game of all-time, and it is, but having now given the matter further thought, it's much more than that. It's one of the best games of all time, period. If you've never really got into handheld gaming or you're yet to play this 3DS classic, I emplore you to give it a go. If ever there's a handheld game to truly blow your socks off, it's this one.
  68. Apr 11, 2013
    Solid Mario game. Game is a little too easy until very end. Doesn't get challenging until the last level and the secret levels. Good game for younger gamers or something to play to relax. Has typical Mario charm and upbeat whimsical music.
  69. Apr 10, 2013
    Great game with catching music, good graphics and best use of the 3D vision ever. However, the impressive number of 1-UP mushrooms given to you can make the hardcore Mario fans sad.
  70. Apr 5, 2013
    It's the last point a handheld platform game can come. It's really perfect in every aspect. I can't even imagine what will nintendo bring in their next handheld.
  71. Apr 4, 2013
    An outstanding platformer, vissually perfect with great level design.
    The 3D is the best so far on the handhelm, music is great and I found it quite challenging at the later levels.
    If you own a 3DS this is a must-title.
  72. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another Mario game I seem to realize it's always the same story Bow ser kidnaps Peach like always anyway the game itself:

the levels are really small and colourful if you played the Super Mario Galaxy's some of the levels are cop yed from that game and onto this game either re-edit or made up.

it's the same you plot through levels after levels collecting these ring like things to advance through more levels.

So basic ly it's the same as you would expect from Super Mario Galaxy just with newly power ups, it's a try game for the Mario fans.

Note note; can be a bit tab of short in game play!
  73. Mar 29, 2013
    Super Mario 3D Land is very enjoyable and fun. The graphics are stunning and the gameplay is awsome... The 3D looks very good too but isn't perfect....
  74. Mar 29, 2013
    Standard Mario fare here, ladies and gentlemen. Very fun on it's own right, but has nothing that would truly set it apart from other Mario games. If you don't mind the lack of innovation, 3D Land is definitely worth a buy.
  75. Mar 27, 2013
    This is no doubt WHY you should buy a 3DS, and is the best game on the system. Every aspect of the game is fun. Just makes me anxious for a Mario Sunshine sequel on the system.
  76. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is one of my favorite Mario games of all time. The graphics are great, the 3d effect is awesome, and the gameplay is incredible. This game delivers the best of 2d platformers and 3d platformers. Definitely one of the best games for available for the 3ds.
  77. Mar 14, 2013
    Mario's first adventure in the 3DS is a stunningly beautiful 3D platformer, featuring some of the most clever stages in the series' entire run and that is no small feat.

My few complaints have to do mostly with the way the game is structured. This was the perfect opportunity for us to get a non-linear, open-world original Mario adventure in handheld form (think Super Mario 64).
    Instead, we get the classic stage lineup, divided into worlds, which makes the stages seem more self-contained than they needed to.

Still, the action is excellent, even thrilling at times, and Nintendo again shows us that spotless gameplay and the ever endearing main character of Mario are enough to make the lack of storyline not matter one bit.
  78. Mar 11, 2013
    reat game. The 3D effect is more than eye candy here. It actually is useful to judge distances and gives a necessary depth to this platformer. There is a vast amount of content here between the main and bonus levels. A must have for all 3DS owners and those who are on the fence about owning the system.
  79. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a very different game. First of all, there's hardly any old enemies and it has too much new ones. It also has a huge lack of levels. I would like this game if it wasn't so different.
  80. Mar 8, 2013
    This game is good, and i enjoyed it til the end (The second one). But, again, it's the same Mario experience I've seen on all Mario games since the old Super Mario Bros. for the NES, the only difference is the 3D, which, by the way, is more like a window behind the screen. Nothing pops out of the console. And since it's more of the same stuff, i'm getting tired of Mario games.
  81. Feb 21, 2013
    I was ridiculously excited for this game, even though I was disappointed to learn it would not be an open world Mario game. The 3D is amazing, and the visuals in general are extremely well done. The levels are fairly easy for the main game, and the plot is the typical Mario one. But the creativeness put into the game and the extra worlds made the game worth it for me. Some levels were ridiculously challenging, even frustrating, but the feeling of satisfaction after completing them was priceless. Albeit some extra levels felt like repeats with shadow Mario added, it took me about 25 hours to completely accomplish everything in the game. Streetpass was interesting but nothing special. The final battle with Bowser was one of the best I've ever played too! And the final bonus stage is incredible as well. A must-have. Expand
  82. Feb 21, 2013
    This game is interesting. It's basically a mix of the 2D mario platformers and the 3D mario platformers. It is certainly very fun, but there's two things about this game that I heavily dislike, and the only things that make me give this game a 7 instead of the 10 it would have if it weren't for these two things.

1. Lack of difficulty. I blew through this entire game in a week. And yeah,
    along with the special worlds. I actually had to stop myself from playing because otherwise I knew I'd beat it too fast. The levels are easy and the Tanooki Suit basically owns everything, which is why I generally refrained from using Fire Flowers or Boomerang Flowers, or any other power up available in the game, unless I had no choice. Even though this game is fun, they shouldn't make it too easy to "appeal to a younger audience". What kind of audience were they aiming for when they made Super Mario Bros 3, then? That game was pretty difficult and I'm pretty sure that it was also meant for kids. Anyways, the second thing that bothers me: 2. The level design. It's pretty dang rare to find a level in this game that has actual terrain instead of floating blocks. Ignoring the castle levels, it IS pretty rare. They seriously could've done better than this. Super Mario 64? Beautiful terrain that is fun to explore. Super Mario Sunshine? Beautiful terrain that is fun to explore! Super Mario Galaxy? Amazing terrain that is also pretty but it still looked great because it actually looked like something. Super Mario 3D Land terrain? ...What terrain? No seriously, if you check a few gameplay videos on the internet, you will find 90% of the levels being floating blocks. It's terrible. They SERIOUSLY could've done better than...THIS. Sorry, but I just can't stress this enough: Who saw this and thought it was an okay thing to do? ANYTHING would've been better than a bunch of floating blocks, ANYTHING. Anyways, aside from these two things this is a fun to play game and I truly reccommend it. Expand
  83. Jan 25, 2013
    After feeling disappointed with Galaxy 2, 3D Land was exactly what I needed from Mario. The controls are tight, the visuals and music are beautiful, and on top of that it is probably one of the most extensive Mario games in years. With secret words the game features a whopping 16 worlds. Add on all the Star coins to collect, the time runs to beat, and classic Mario fun and you have yourself a great Nintendo experience. Expand
  84. Dec 30, 2012
    Sporting varied difficulty levels, great graphics and a great use of the 3DS's technology, Super Mario 3D Land is an innovative twist on classic Mario action we had a long time coming.
  85. Dec 23, 2012
    A very entertaining game to pass the time.
  86. Dec 20, 2012
    Ever since Mario's jump to 3D his games have taken in my opinion more of an adventure style approach rather than sticking completely to its roots. Temporary power ups? A life bar? Finding 8 red coins in a huge landscape? Yes it was very different from the original tittles on the nes and snes. But it was still Mario. Even still I always wondered since the beggining, why don't they make a 3D Mario with the fundamentals of the sidescroller Mario? You know what Im talking about. Levels that go from point A to point B. No lifebar. Powerups are your life source. Best of all, a flagpole at the end of each level. Super Mario 3D Land is exactly just that. Including incredible level design, great powerups and impressive replayability. This is without a doubt one of Mario's best games yet. It does have a slow start. Takes a bit of time to take of the training wheels completely. The game is very easy. Too easy for at least the first half. That is really the worst aspect of the game. Best of all its not a really bad aspect at all. Its still damn fun and impresive. Here is to a sequel with the sheer brilliance of this game with online co-op for better replayability complete with an overworld map. For the heck of it lets call it Super Mario 3D World. Make it happen Nintendo. Until then this is my favorite 3D Mario Game yet. Congratulations Nintendo. You never cease to amaze. Expand
  87. Dec 12, 2012
    Awesome 3D rendition of a Super Mario Galaxy X Super Mario Bros crossover. Definetely recommended. For all ages and with different scales of difficulties for more experienced players~!
  88. Dec 11, 2012
    Having just 100% completed this game I can say with confidence it is one of the greatest Mario games ever made and the best handheld game available on the market. It is both a homage to the old and the new, an amalgamation of 25 years of Mario and a beautifully responsive game that delivers both to new and old players.

The game starts off incredibly easy and becomes gradually more
    difficult, the special worlds for example are a challenge to complete and I've been playing Mario for 20 years and I found some of them challenging. Attaining the fabled "5 star save file" is a challenge in itself and I achieved this last night.

Oh and the game is in 3D or something but I don't care about that.
  89. Nov 29, 2012
    When Mario 64 came out I thought it was cool, but I struggled to get into the game, so when I heard about this game I was wary of it at first. I picked up the game so I would have something to tackle over the Christmas holidays. I'm glad I did because I found the game thoroughly enjoyable. Nintendo did a great job making a 3D Mario feel like the 2D world (in a good way) I found the missions challenging but never frustratingly difficult. The one time I was struggling after dying 10 times or so the game started me off with a powerup to give me a boost. I think this is a must own game for the 3DS system. Expand
  90. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is incredibly enjoyable and innovative considering it's the first original 3d Mario on a handheld console. The game is somewhat challenging when played with the intention of collecting all the star coins which are a great feature, and the power-ups are unique and distributed well. The new Boomerang power up isn't given out until around a 4th of the way through the game which is good as it gives you something to look forward to.

Unfortunately the game has some problems that keep it from getting a 9 or a 10 from me. The special worlds tended to be less enjoyable then the first levels and introduced annoying gimmicks in the form of a Cosmic Clone chasing you for the entire level and having 30 seconds to complete a level (while collecting 10 second clocks). Both of these gimmicks were fine alone, but when combined created un-enjoyable and frustrating levels. Also the fact that to complete the game every level had to be completed with both characters and gold flagged made the game feel artificially drawn out.

Overall Super Mario 3d Land is a solid 3d Mario experience and is a very enjoyable experience. While it might not be the best 3d Mario game it's certainly a good one and worth a try if you own a 3ds.
  91. Nov 25, 2012
    Fantastic game. If you own a 3DS you have to have this game in your collection. Simple. The only negative is the first 5 or 6 worlds are far too easy, but the worlds you unlock later make up for it. Get This Game!!!
  92. Nov 6, 2012
    Super Mario 3D Land delivers in showing what the 3DS is capable of. This game couldn't been done in any other console, cause it takes perfect advantage of the 3D capabilities of the new Nintendo handheld.

The levels are not open, and the camera cannot be changed, but that's the perfect design choice, so the 3D effects the development team has prepared to amaze us are in full power. And
    they're magnificent!

Graphically speaking is really a great game, with a deep variety of worlds and levels. The first worlds are not that difficult but this game is challenging in the last 8 worlds! Also if you want to get all the star coins and the golden poles (with both Mario and Luigi) you better be prepared to lose a lot of lives (and be prepared to a good surprise if you do so).

In summary: a must have for the 3DS and a very unique Mario game that keeps being faithful to the 3D Mario roots and at the same time innovates.
  93. Nov 1, 2012
    Best game for any age or gamer on the 3DS unless you can't stand Mario for some odd reason. Best use of 3D out of any 3DS game. Amazing plat forming. Innovative level design. Easy enough for anyone but also plenty of challenge for more hardcore gamers. Lots of charm and great soundtrack. A must buy for any 3DS owner.
  94. Oct 29, 2012
    Hmm what's this? A first party nintendo game appears? Alright lets get out the checklist. Innovative game mechanics? Check. Stellar use of platform features? Check. General "holy crap this is amazing!" effect? Check. Its not good for a developer to bring the same thing to the table every time...unless its unbridled creativity. And with this amazing platformer nintendo did just that. Definetly a must buy for 3ds owners. Expand
  95. Oct 27, 2012
    Awesome! The best 3D, I've ever saw, and despite what some people says, it's really useful, so much that when you turn it off, it seems something is missing, and then you have to turn the 3D on again. Great game, i had more than 15 hours of fun, and i haven't collected all medals yet.
  96. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is a family game and its age limit is E, which means everyone. You can also guarantee 100%, this game has no violence in it what so ever. Mario
  97. Aug 17, 2012
    This is the best game on the 3ds. It uses 3d as an integral part of the gameplay, and it gives you a reason to crank the meter up to full. The platforming is tight and fun. The levels might seem a bit short, and the worlds only have 5-6 levels per, but it is still amazing. After the final level is beat, "Special worlds" are unlocked which double the size of the game. These levels are very challenging and fun, and you will drop a good amount of hours to finish it all. Trying to find all the star coins and beat each level with each brother will keep you coming back for more, even after you have beaten the last level. The tanooki suit is used a little to much though, and items like the new boomerang suit or even the fire flower do not show as much as one would like to add some more variety, but this is very small. Overall, this is in itself a reason to go buy a 3ds. Expand
  98. Aug 4, 2012
    The style of platforming this game has is a great, unique idea. It's like a 'side-scrolling 3D platformer'. I would have liked to see the 3DS tech be used more in this game. Super Mario 3D Land is for everyone who complains about every Mario game being too similar. The game includes eight bonus worlds for people who find the main worlds too easy. 8/10.
  99. Jul 18, 2012
    I've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of the levels once you beat the original 8 worlds, plus beating all of it with both Mario & Luigi, and I forget what else is required just to unlock the last secret world on top of everything completed above. I'm still working on it and still enjoying it, just not as much as I did at first but it's holding up well against any of my newer games. I know I'll stick with it until I manage to unlock everything and I think it is my favorite Mario game to date. -1 point for originality though. I would love to see Nintendo come out with a new IP for a change to show off all these platformer variations they come up with on a regular basis, but it works and each Mario is still fun so it's a pretty minor complaint. Expand
  100. Jul 18, 2012
    Easily the best original / non-remake Mario game for a portable system. It's very linear which is a blessing and a curse for anyone familiar with Mario games. It means that we don't have the element introduced to us in Mario 64 where you're thrown into a large, open world and you have to figure out what to do yourself. Instead, you just work your way through the levels with not much deviation from what the developers intended. I prefer the Mario 64 style but I'm not going to criticize it based off of what it doesn't do, but what it does do. So for a portable, linear Mario game, it's exactly what I expected - a whole new set of levels, enemies, and mechanics such as the boomerang suit, the tanooki suit (this is the first 3D Mario to use the tanooki suit), the propeller box, and probably several others I can't think of at the moment. The controls of this game are generally pretty decent, but trying to get Mario to do the side flip for example can be frustrating. Mario's momentum can also be odd at times. If you don't get a huge running start and keep moving, you may find Mario to be somewhat slow, clunky, and unresponsive. If you jump in the air with no momentum, and try to start moving at the peak of your jump, Mario will barely move at all. Experienced players may find it frustrating that the advanced maneuvers are hard to do, and are scarcely useful anyway. This is an extremely basic and simplistic 3D Mario game. If you want something more than that, go with Mario 64 or the Galaxy games, depending on whether you want to play something nonlinear or linear respectively. Expand
  101. Jul 4, 2012
    after about 15 hours of play and still a few more stages to finish off with the 2nd character just cleaning up I'm still amazed by just how good this game is, really just such a beautiful looking and handling game, it's just funny to hear people crying about rehashs when this game sets itself apart from every other game in the series outside of the obvious, you are playing as mario and a mushroom makes you grow aspects of it there is so much time put into making this the AAA mario title that every 3ds owner should pick up, and you can happily disregard the 36 negative reviews on here from such people as "nintedohater" "mariosucks" and "nintendohasgamesbutmyvitadoesn'twahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" because yeah, they're all just angrily written by people enraged that nintendo has struck gold yet again, both gameplay wise and the fact that their fans are willing to pay for the amazing games they produce. Collapse

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Mario is back! In a classic Mario-fashion you jump your way througheight worlds, where you battle goombas, koopas and the main meaniehimself, Bowser. This game is never particularly difficult, butgradually advanced to a challenge that feels just perfect. Fun, varied and guaranteed to make you smile.
    Lifesaver for all Nintendo 3DS owners. Super Mario 3D Land delivers flawless design and perfect use of 3D effects during the whole game. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    The Nintendo 3DS has had a slow start, but I feel this marks one of the first important games to come out on this system. I can't say it's a must buy, but is really close for those who have already picked up a 3DS. The amount of content in this game along with the varying degree of gameplay makes this one of the best Mario games I've played in a while.