Tales of the Abyss 3DS

7.6

1. Mar 15, 2012
    I have never in my life as a gamer played a game that was more boring and uninspiring as this one. it looks pretty on the 3ds, but that's it''s only redeeming feature (and playing a game merely because it's "pretty" is doing a massive disservice to the gaming industry.)

the combat is interesting in that it's a departure from your typical turn-based combat, but that doesn't even begin to make up for the fact that the characters are contrived, cookie-cutter parodies. I could not once find a moment in this game where i felt any sort of emotion for the characters. this game may appeal to your typical jRPG fans, but then anything that's even remotely "anime" will appeal to them, even if it is a steaming pile with "cute anime eyes" slapped on.

overall, best to avoid this game unless you want to play an uninspiring game where the story is forced and predictable.
  2. Jul 19, 2012
    I really didn't enjoy this game right from the start. I think I gave it a pretty good chance, investing a few days and many hours devoted towards getting a good feel for the story, characters, and design. I thought Tales of Symphonia was decent on GC, but this felt even older, slower, and terribly more uninspired then that. I was so uninterested in playing this after the first week that II really didn't enjoy this game right from the start. I think I gave it a pretty good chance, investing a few days and many hours devoted towards getting a good feel for the story, characters, and design. I thought Tales of Symphonia was decent on GC, but this felt even older, slower, and terribly more uninspired then that. I was so uninterested in playing this after the first week that I had to return it, willing to take anything in it's place. Maybe you'll like it more if you are a big fan of the series and feel the need to play or own it as a part of the series. Unfortunately this title was so bad to me that I'll be staying away from the series from now on. Really disappointing to say the least. Expand

1. Jun 27, 2012
    For Tales of the Abyss, what we're left with is a bad port of an old, polarizing game that is mediocre at best and dangerous at worst. Given all of its flaws, there's really not much of a reason for this port to exist, outside of it being The First Pretty RPG for the 3DS. If that's enough for you, then by all means, grab this on the cheap and play it in 2-D mode. Otherwise, you're better off waiting for games made expressly for the system.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 20, 2012
    While the story and characters are somewhat lacking, Tales of the Abyss stands tall due to its superb battle system. [June 2012]
  3. Mar 8, 2012
    There isn't a huge selection of RPGs on the 3DS, and Tales of the Abyss will definitely appeal to the handheld gamer that wants to take this particular genre on the go. It hits all the beats of your typical JRPG, for better or worse.