8.3

1. Feb 14, 2012
    Tales of the Abyss, the first game in the series to make use of the free run system for its 3d battles, is probably the best entry in the franchise so far and has aged very well. The world of Auldrant is extremely well portrayed, and the plot is convincing, deep and enthralling till the ending credits, with a solid, likeable cast that will often surprise you with their interactions andTales of the Abyss, the first game in the series to make use of the free run system for its 3d battles, is probably the best entry in the franchise so far and has aged very well. The world of Auldrant is extremely well portrayed, and the plot is convincing, deep and enthralling till the ending credits, with a solid, likeable cast that will often surprise you with their interactions and they way they develop during the game's events.

The game is also filled to the brim with optional scenes that will make a lot of difference if you want to fully understand what's going on, and the Tales series' skits are a nice way to have a constant feedback from your party members. All those features make the game extremely lengthy, too: with all the side material this game can last even more than 100 hours.

The battle system is also great, and makes use of the 3d arena by allowing you to freely move your characters and build up combos of skills and magics in extremely fast paced action battles. The PS2 version had some issues, like the unnerving loading times and glitched world map, but this 3DS port completely solved them, making this the definitive way to enjoy this game.
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    Back in the days I learned about the Tales series with Symphonia, and when I learned another Tales game was hitting the States I was elated. It turned out to be the right reaction, since Tales of the Abyss is one of the greatest Japanese RPGs I have ever played.

Vesperia (and Graces F, when it will be out next month) could have made its combat system obsolete, but it's still funny as hell and more modern, deep and enjoyable than most rpgs out there.

Also, the characters are fantastic. You will probably hate Luke at the beginning, but during the game each hero and heroine manages to shine, and by the end you will hope the game lasts forever (it happened to me). Since this game was made for the series' anniversary it was a bit rushed from a technical standpoint (long loading times before the fights being the worst offenders), but the 3DS version happily has none of those problems, and is a must have for any RPG fan and Tales fan out there.
  3. Feb 16, 2012
    I have to say, that Tales of The Abyss does for the series what Final Fantasy IV: Complete did for the Final Fantasy series, it polishes over a bit and keeps the originality of what made the game so excellent to begin with. Playing this on my 3DS was well worth it, and I'm so glad to be able to play it again, especially on a handheld. The game is just beautiful, definitely worth your time.
  4. Feb 22, 2012
    Here's the best advice I can give to anyone who might be thinking about buying this game: BUY IT NOW!!! Namco likes to not release too many copies of the Tales of series for some reason and it's like pulling teeth trying to find a copy of whatever version you want to play. As of this review, this version of the game has only been out for 1 week and I already had to go to 5 stores to findHere's the best advice I can give to anyone who might be thinking about buying this game: BUY IT NOW!!! Namco likes to not release too many copies of the Tales of series for some reason and it's like pulling teeth trying to find a copy of whatever version you want to play. As of this review, this version of the game has only been out for 1 week and I already had to go to 5 stores to find it around me New. I can't even imagine what it'll be like a few months down the road if it's already this difficult to find. So, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this game immediately after reading this. The game is awesome and there are other reviews that talk about how good it is. My main goal is to warn people that this game is already difficult to find and to anyone who's going to wait to pick this up, good luck finding a copy and to not having to resort to going on ebay and getting it for 60 bucks. Expand
  5. May 12, 2012
    One of the best games to get for the 3ds. If you like role playing game then you will love this game. The story is very great and it is very interested. The graphics for this game is very great but the 3d on this game is worthless. It actually makes the game look worst. The con is no extra content. It just an import of the ps2 version with the same graphics. They didn't upgrade the graphicOne of the best games to get for the 3ds. If you like role playing game then you will love this game. The story is very great and it is very interested. The graphics for this game is very great but the 3d on this game is worthless. It actually makes the game look worst. The con is no extra content. It just an import of the ps2 version with the same graphics. They didn't upgrade the graphic at all but it looks great on the 3ds. A game worth getting. Expand
  6. Feb 8, 2013
    Going in, I'd never played any of the Tales series. I am now rectifying the situation. I actually found myself savoring the game as I played, dragging out my first full playthrough to just over one hundred hours. The combat system (once free running is unlocked) is outstanding, reminescent of Star Ocean 2, only less cumbersome as long as you stay within the 8 provided shortcut slotsGoing in, I'd never played any of the Tales series. I am now rectifying the situation. I actually found myself savoring the game as I played, dragging out my first full playthrough to just over one hundred hours. The combat system (once free running is unlocked) is outstanding, reminescent of Star Ocean 2, only less cumbersome as long as you stay within the 8 provided shortcut slots when mapping abilities. The addition of AD skills as you progress seems to add a touch of realism to development, as a person who fights will pick up little things that they can do in combat that can give them a slight advantage. This adds subtle nuance to the concept of being a combat veteran as opposed to most JRPG games that use just a levelling system. The story was engaging, almost immersive at times, and proceeded at a pace that always seemed appropriate. The characters were very well done, Luke and Jade in particular, the first being completely believable and natural based on his past and circumstances, the second being just about the most awesome character ever to be created. The addition of alternate costumes is a feature that other games should have, as it was surprisingly nice to have the ability to change their appearance. The 3d features aren't overblown, though the text presentation could have been done a little better, as the text seemed to always be right at the top of the screen, with the characters far behind it. This tended to make them sometimes a bit of a pain to read, although I cannot think of a way that would have been better. Replay value is through the roof, as there are so many things that can't even be seen or gotten until at least the second playthrough. The many side conversations were a nice touch, providing extra comic relief, character and plot development, but could have used a way to control going through the text, making them sometimes more of an annoyance than their worth as part of the game. On occasion, you need to be able to somewhat precicely use the Mieu fire ability, and the controls are not well suited to this, making such situations easily the most annoying parts of the game. All in all, it easily makes my personal top ten of the genre, and should be a must play for any fan of good RPGs. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2012
    Great JRPG. A perfect pick me up for those of us rpg fans who have been stomaching through the latest Final Fantasies
  8. Dec 29, 2012
    Tales of the Abyss. Ah, such an amazing game. Let me just say, in contrary to some of the lower reviews that people have written, this game is far from uninspiring, the characters are great, and the story is one which is unique to most games and keeps you guessing along the way. Which isn't a bad thing. There is only one complaint that I have towards Tales of the Abyss, and that is thatTales of the Abyss. Ah, such an amazing game. Let me just say, in contrary to some of the lower reviews that people have written, this game is far from uninspiring, the characters are great, and the story is one which is unique to most games and keeps you guessing along the way. Which isn't a bad thing. There is only one complaint that I have towards Tales of the Abyss, and that is that the game starts out quite slow. Unless you're very patient, this is a game that will be put down, and then picked back up later on. The combat, is extremely well done. The ability to be able to move your character around and land different combos against enemies, as well as the way the characters move, is breathtaking. This game should not be overlooked for anyone who wants a good, long RPG. It is also nice to be able to play as the different characters in your party while doing battles or exploring. During the many cutscenes and such, there are quirky jokes that will keep you entertained the entire time. Almost everything about this game, perhaps the charm or the way that the characters different relationships develop overtime, the dialogue, the combat, will appeal to someone, in my opinion. As I previously stated, this game is a must have for anyone who is looking for a good RPG with some length and an awesome story for the 3DS. Expand
  9. Sep 20, 2013
    I loved this game. At first Luke was really annoying but towards the end he became one of my favorite characters along with Tear and Jade. His relation to Ashe (which I will not spoil) is perfectly executed. The plot is very deep and the world is very interesting and unique. The combat is good but I really enjoyed the story and characters. The Six-God General were all great characters andI loved this game. At first Luke was really annoying but towards the end he became one of my favorite characters along with Tear and Jade. His relation to Ashe (which I will not spoil) is perfectly executed. The plot is very deep and the world is very interesting and unique. The combat is good but I really enjoyed the story and characters. The Six-God General were all great characters and how the Score (prophases written telling the entire future) plays out was very interesting. The music was also very good my favorite song being Meaning of Birth. The 3D aspect isn't that good but I really only turn the 3D on during cutscenes so I didn't mind Expand
  10. Feb 15, 2012
    Fans of the "Tales of" series are obviously going to be very pleased with the first (and hopefully not last) entry on the 3DS. There is a staggering amount of material in this game, especially for being a cart portable game. The game is gorgeous, fun, and engaging.

Story - Easily the strongest part of the game, the story is very engaging and it is amazing to watch the character development. The main protagonist can be a bit annoying in the beginning of the game, but the maturing that he does in the 40 - 60 hours of your game-time will be well worth the annoyances early on. The main plot is full of twists and turns, and does not fill up your time with 20 minute cutscenes.

Presentation - Essentially a port from the PS2 title of the same name, Tales of the Abyss has near-identical appearance from it's original release. That is not to say that they are bad at all! The art style has made this game age very well and the graphics are actually a bit impressive for a handheld RPG title. The menus are easy to use and there's plenty of customization available.

Sound - The sound is what you would expect from an RPG. There are sweeping scores, fast-tempo rock battle music, and sometimes-annoying menu sound effects. The English voice-acting is very well done and fits the game perfectly.

Overall - This game is worth any RPG fan's time. If you've been pining away for that engaging title that you could sink your teeth into on the 3DS, this is the game for you! Don't wait too long, though, because NAMCO is notorious for releases the Tales of games in limited production runs. Get it from your local retailer now, before it is only available on EBay for $90.
  11. Feb 27, 2012
    This is the first of the "Tales of the Abyss" games I have ever played, and I like it! I was expecting a little more free roam in battle, but i like how i learned free roam with the L button. I am not very far in it, so it hasn't gotten difficult yet, but i would recommend it to any of my friends. I didn't give it a 10 because i didn't think it was good enough for a ten, but i think itThis is the first of the "Tales of the Abyss" games I have ever played, and I like it! I was expecting a little more free roam in battle, but i like how i learned free roam with the L button. I am not very far in it, so it hasn't gotten difficult yet, but i would recommend it to any of my friends. I didn't give it a 10 because i didn't think it was good enough for a ten, but i think it definitely deserves a 9! Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    It's my first time with a ''Tales of'' game, and all I can say about it is ''WOW'', Amazing and engaging story, very lovable characters, a very cool and fun battle system, definitely a must-have for all RPG fans that never played it back in the PS2 era.

Going now to the ''Port'' side, it doesn't have a surprising 3D effect, no extras, no improvement, but, again, if you have never played the original, Go for it NOW!
  13. Feb 15, 2012

1. Jun 27, 2012
    For Tales of the Abyss, what we're left with is a bad port of an old, polarizing game that is mediocre at best and dangerous at worst. Given all of its flaws, there's really not much of a reason for this port to exist, outside of it being The First Pretty RPG for the 3DS. If that's enough for you, then by all means, grab this on the cheap and play it in 2-D mode. Otherwise, you're better off waiting for games made expressly for the system.
  2. Jun 20, 2012
    While the story and characters are somewhat lacking, Tales of the Abyss stands tall due to its superb battle system. [June 2012]
  3. Mar 8, 2012
    There isn't a huge selection of RPGs on the 3DS, and Tales of the Abyss will definitely appeal to the handheld gamer that wants to take this particular genre on the go. It hits all the beats of your typical JRPG, for better or worse.