9.0

1. Nov 22, 2013
    What initially looked like a game leaning on the aging crutches of A Link to the Past has turned out to be a thoroughly poignant, vivid and immensely satisfying game worthy of standing on its own two feet. Set in the world of A Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds makes the serendipitous combination of a reinvigorating spark with a meaty hit of nostalgia. Presenting freedom of choice gameplay not seen since the original, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds makes no effort to hold the players hand through the richly dense world of Hyrule and it works brilliantly. Rather than following in the footsteps of Game Freak and introducing the franchise to a new generation of audiences at the risk of patronising its long term fans, (I’m looking at you Pokémon X and Y) Link Between Worlds pays homage to those of us who have followed Link since his debut over 25 years ago all whilst paving the way for a reinvention of what it means to make a Zelda game. The puzzles in Link Between Worlds are, as aforementioned, immensely satisfying. I could almost hear the pieces of a riddle snap together in my head as I strived to calculate the answer. It’s a feeling experienced whilst playing the Professor Layton series, but puzzle-solving in this game is made relevant and interesting by the vivid world, close to perfect combat and awe-inspiring imagination. This is a beautiful game, presenting a colourful and vibrant world that just seems to radiate adventure and exploration. The characters are complex and interesting, but perhaps the biggest achievement in terms of its presentation is the silky-smooth 60fps frame rate which stays consistent throughout this 18 hour adventure even with the 3D effect turned on. Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    One of the best games I have played. I have not played a link to the past in SNES and I haven't played much Zelda games apart from Twilight Princess, and those NDS titles. This has got to be my best experience with Zelda. I have always loved the music and it brings so much memory back with Hyrule castle, field and Kakaro Village being so condensed in the map, feeling great as in twilight princess the 3D is overwhelming but to see these places so reachable it simply feels great.

All the little puzzles are connected and don't seem redundant. I love how equipment are based on stamina now. There are still more explore, it is really well worth the money. Best 3DS game thus far.
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    A Nostalgia paradise! Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is nothing short of a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Nintendo proves once again that they are true masters of their craft. in this barren and desolate gaming landscape where AAA, 4 hour long, slapped together, interactive movies rule the "video game" industry ALBW truly shines brighter than ever.

To understand, appreciate and
    pay homage to ones roots is one thing. but to do it in a way that brings so much innovation to the table is nothing short of astounding which is more than i can say for some companies (Im looking at you Sega so get your notepad out you might learn something). Some might say that making a sequel based on an old established and proven formula is too safe but to them i say LOOK AT THE SONIC SERIES. It seems no matter what Sega does they fail, even when they for all intents and purposes do exactly what ALBW does ala sonic 4. Generations got it better than the former but in comparison to almost ANY Nintendo title, where classic characters are concerned: I would still consider Generations a failure. Nintendo has a mastery of balancing nostalgia with innovation that Sonic Team can only dream of having.

The 3DS has been absolutely ON FIRE this year and with great titles like Kirby, Yoshis Island and Bravely Default heading our way next year Nintendo shows no signs of stopping. If ALBW is any sign you can bet those games will be incredible as well. Its great to see a huge company not afraid to bring new things to the table while not forgetting what got them there in the first place! Thanks Nintendo for the trip down memory lane!
  4. Nov 26, 2013
    This is the sequel to the greatest game of all time I had high expectations, but somehow this game exceeded them! I highly recommend this game for any fan of video games you will love it! 10/10
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    Simplesmente genial! Mais um Zelda com o seu padrão de excelência.
    A possibilidade de você escolher a ordem das dungeos sensacional, e da ao jogo muita liberdade!
    A nintendo sempre se superando!
  6. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is as close to perfect as games come. It really is a must have for Zelda fans, especially for those that played and loved Link to the Past. It looks gorgeous, plays like a dream, is chock full of nostalgia and Zelda references and uses 3D better than any other game I've played. 10/10!
  7. Nov 22, 2013
    After all these years, the legendary Zelda series still has things to show.
    Aonuma did great things with this game and A Link Between Worlds feels absolutely amazing.
    I first hated the art style when I first saw it in trailers, but on a 3DS screen, it just looks colorful and beautiful.
    The only negative thing about it would be its difficulty. The game is pretty easy, but the puzzles and
    dungeons are just great.
    A fantastic game, Aonuma still got it guys.
  8. Nov 22, 2013
    Great feel and really fun boss fights. I enjoy a little bit o' Zelda especially creative one like this. I usually hate portable Zelda games such as Spirit Tracks, but this one made me smile. Go get it on the eShop or go drive your butts to gamestop!
  9. Nov 24, 2013
    A great return to anyone who loved A Link to the Past, or anyone who is looking for a great adventure game to play. I was on the fence about buying this system just for this game, but it was definitely worth it. 3DS has so many other cool things as well.
  10. Nov 22, 2013
    This is a really good game. If you want to listen to some music from it you can check out youtube. The best part about this game is then new system of item acquirement. You can have them all fairly early in the game. This makes for interesting play-throughs, Such as only renting weapons for challenge runs. The downside to this is that it takes away the feeling of progression but the flow more then makes up for it.
    This game needs to be played. Don't listen to those guys posting 1s and 0s They are just trolls.
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    You see every time I start up a new file on a Zelda game I get this strange and magical feeling. It’s the anticipation of a new world to explore, it’s knowing that the next couple weeks or months of my life is going to be spent playing in this worl--I mean, game. But most of all it’s knowing that I am going to get so lost in Hyrule that it takes over my life and I might even end up breaking the flower pots in my backyard just to check for rupees. This was certainly the case with this game as well and its a EXTREMELY well done entry in the LoZ series and a near perfect game in my opinion. Dat Soundtrack!! Expand
  12. Dec 7, 2013
    A brilliant game! Makes up for Skyward Sword, for those who didn't like SS. Brilliant game, i enjoyed all the dungeons! Hero mode for a challenge! I didn't like the renting system at first but it's fixed when you can permanently but the items up for rent. The escort area was really good! A brilliant game overall!
  13. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is just wonderful. Beautiful and detailed world to explore, challenging enought puzzles and familiar yet breathtaking story. I wish all the games would be as thought-through and deep on all levels possible.
  14. Nov 25, 2013
    I don't typically write many game reviews. I bought this game with a few other titles, some for the ps4 and new super Mario 3d world. All of these games were great but a link between worlds was something special. I was expecting to play it for a few minutes get the jist of it and move on but all of a sudden Nintendo captivated me a cliche story we've all come to grow and love but the humor behind it and hilarious scenarios takes Zelda to a whole new level. Without spoiling anything I'll just say not only does this game produce critical thinking but the story is by far the funniest and well written than all Zeldas before it. Even for a 3ds game this should be GOTY. I wasn't expecting much from this game and didn't care for the videos or screenshots. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this game is. If you don't have it go get it now Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    I have to admit, A Link Between Worlds blew me completely away. Stunned, was the word. Stunned by how good it was. I've been a long-time Zelda fan, and A Link to the Past has been the mainstay of that franchise, in my mind. This game both pays homage to, and in some ways, surpasses, that title. It is incredibly polished, smooth gameplay, fluid animations, gripping story, challenging dungeons, and so on. A must-have for any Zelda fan, and any 3DS owner. It blows Ocarina of Time 3D away. Expand
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    Just started Hero Mode on this game. One of the best handheld experiences I have ever had. The game kept me engaged from the beginning to the end, it did everything that a handheld Zelda needed to do. The concepts in the game were so fully integrated into the game, there are reasons why I consider Nintendo to be some of the best game makers of all time. A step forward for the series and a highly recommended purchase. Expand
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    Let me just start out by saying that a Link to the Past is not only my favorite zelda game of all time, but it is and always will be one of my absolute favorite VIDEO GAMES of all time! when i heard this game was announced i was very skeptical, but I've got to say nintendo have really nailed it on the head with this one! Anyone who enjoyed a link to the past or any other 2d zelda adventure will find themselves instantly grinning from ear to ear. I won't spoil too much but this game is a joy from beginning to end, set in the same hyrule as link to the past but packed to the limits with new exciting content, and so many secrets I couldn't even begin to describe. Also the art direction is perfect, and the 3D effect is actually handled perfectly, i found i played with it turned on almost the whole time. basically, if you have ever loved 2d zelda adventures, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not picking this one up! Expand
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds combines the nostalgia and timeless gameplay from A Link to the Past with up to date visuals, new gameplay mechanics, and a whole new world. The gameplay will advocate to Zelda fans both old and new and the timeless features of a run of the mill Zelda title like amazing music are still there. Possibly the best addition would be the ability to run through dungeons without being confined to a specific order which prompts an increase in difficulty. Though it's graphically not the best due to cut-backs for the overhead gameplay and I really can't say too much about the characters and plot from where I'm currently at, A Link Between Worlds is a promising title for all 3DS owners. Expand
  19. Mar 17, 2014
    A Link Between Worlds is fast paced, straight to the point with its delivery. No boring tutorial, no excessive story telling, yet there are still memorable characters and moments. Controls are simple and easy, boss fights are fast paced and hero's mode presents a decent challenge. The game lacks in its story, however, such as how basically nothing happens between dungeons(in other recent Zelda titles, there would be a bit of story development between every dungeon). Top down perspective also make the game less appealing visually, which is disappointing since its a game for a 3DS. Not the perfect game, but a must own never the less. Expand
  20. Nov 22, 2013
    Best game ever!!!! I haven't play such good game for a month, I could say that this game is the best game that I have played. Do not hesitate buying it, you won't regret it!!!
  21. Ogr
    Dec 2, 2013
    I am back in Hyrule! The real Hyrule, that I discovered first at the age of 8. It feels so great to be back in the same world that started my love for those kind of games. I like the open world feeling, new skills of Link and the 3D graphics, but on top of all of this is the retro feeling. I'm sure that A Link Between Worlds is a good Zelda for every gamer out there, but a 100% must have for everyone who liked A Link To The Past.

Thank You Nintendo, you are back on track again.
  22. Dec 2, 2013
    The controls are good, and the 3D visuals are great at 60 fps. The dungeons are quite fun, and are a good puzzle. It's a 3Ds game that you should own.
  23. Nov 23, 2013
    To start off, this game is phenomenal, it is truly one of the best games of this generation. I went into this game thinking: "This is going to be an OK game" but, after having finished it 100% already, I can say my old hypothesis doesn't do this game justice. This game is fresh and new, and to a lesser extend nostalgic also with its numerous references to its predecessor The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. On that note, while this game may feature an overworld similar to that of its predecessor, it's not without good reason, this game takes place around a mere 150-200 years (several generations to be more precise) after its predecessor in the same region. Everything else about the game is new and fresh, the gameplay, the location of secrets, the visuals, the temple/dungeon layout, even some of the items and puzzles; to simply call this game a 'remake' or a 'rehash' is delusional.

The art style and presentation of this game is a beautiful reimagining of the art style from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past but with a much better resolution, and in 3D rather than using 16-bit sprites. The way this game handles the stereoscopic 3D aspect of the 3DS is breathtaking, and by-far the best use of 3D in any game on the system. The lighting of this game is far more dynamic than all the other handheld or 2D games, and it only adds to the overall stunning visuals the game already has. Not only does this game have marvelous 3D visuals, but the gameplay is tied into the 3D visuals, allowing for an even more amazing experience.

The gameplay is somewhat familiar to veterans of the series, but it is by no means a 'rehash' on old methods, nor 'gimmicky' (cute little buzzword for people that have difficulty with innovative gameplay) by any means. The ability to merge with walls allows for more dynamic combat scenarios with standard enemies and bosses alike. It allows for new puzzles and challenges to be utilized in the game, making for a completely new experience that will feel new to even veterans. Another fantastic gameplay feature is item renting, while some may criticize it because it's 'new', I embrace it for adding a completely different way to go about completing the game. This game's item renting feature adds an even more non-linear aspect to a game that is already open-world, giving players the ability to complete the vast majority of the game's dungeons in any order. The item-renting feature means players will no longer find items in the dungeon itself, but instead, each dungeon features an offensive, defensive, or supplemental upgrade for the player to use somewhat similar to the leveling up feature in Zelda II when a player completes a palace. What could go better with the amazingly fresh gameplay than a grandiose soundtrack?

My personal favorite aspect of this game is its fantastic soundtrack which features unbelievable musical scores that fit the mood and atmosphere of each area perfectly. Another great aspect of the soundtrack is how it has incredible remastered, orchestrated versions of some of the most popular Zelda themes from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. These themes, both new, and remastered old, provide an auditory experience unlike any other game, save The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, that combines new imaginative tracks with remastered nostalgic ones.

The story is phenomenal, different than all the other Zelda games, yet surprisingly captivating for what it's worth; but, being as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it, I will refrain from discussing the fascinating details. Despite this though, the ending of the game is one of the best out of all the Zelda games, and does leave a few cliffhangers presenting numerous options for future sequels in the 'downfall' timeline (See Hyrule Historia for full, official timeline details). The amazing 3D visuals, beguiling story/plot, enthralling gameplay, and grand soundtrack, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is an absolute MUST for any Zelda fan, for any 3DS owner, and for any prospective gamer interested in Action-Adventure/RPG games. This game is easily one of the best games this year, and one of the top 5 Zelda games of all time, I hope everyone enjoys this game as much as I do, it was worth every cent.
  24. Nov 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MY BACKGROUND: Gamer of about 20 years and started with Super Nintendo and the Super Mario World days. Since then, I’ve owned almost every major console and played many major titles across just about every genre BUT sports (I’d rather do real sports and work out at the gym, lol).

COMPREHENSIVE, EXHAUSTIVE REVIEW WITH MINIMAL SPOILERS: This is my first ever review for a video game, which should be saying a lot. I wouldn’t be taking a couple hours out of my busy gaming schedule (lol!) if this wasn’t something that truly should be experienced, most especially by the Zelda fans.

First off, I was very skeptical of this release as well as the release of Super Mario 3D World because really… how many times can you release these big Nintendo franchise games without them starting to feel boring, repetitive, and uninspired? Many big names face this dilemma nowadays. I know Konami had this question running through their minds with their fantastic long standing 2D Castlevania series as well.

What changed my mind was Nintendo’s brilliant tactic to release reviews early before both games’ releases a week ago. Unanimous positive critic reviews on Metacritic told me I had to give this Zelda a real shot and buy it at retail, which I almost NEVER do for games anymore since the prices go down fast and the market is so flooded with crappy cash cow rehashes (*COUGH* CALL OF DUTY *COUGH* BATTLEFIELD). But I also did feel like I needed to support and help out the company, right now headed for financial doom, which sparked my childhood video gaming dreams. Boy, did I make the right decision.

I’ve just finished the game earlier today and it left me with such a great feeling of accomplishment. There has been no Zelda game that felt as inspirational as this one since A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Granted, with the exception of these 2D and 3D Zelda standards, I haven’t played through all the other ones in their entirety, but at least you’re getting an honest opinion from an experienced gamer who’s NOT an absolute Zelda fanboy.

STORY: Now this is not anything on the cinematic level of Uncharted or Final Fantasy, but there is a nice basic tale of good and evil. You have a kingdom in trouble again. Some guy (or some might mistake him to be a girl, lol!) named Yuga appears in Hyrule to capture the Sages who protect the Triforce by trapping them in paintings in order to revive Ganon, ultimately gain control of the Triforce, and shape the world to his liking. As Link, you are, as usual, destined to save the kingdom. The story unfolds beautifully at the end with some twists, so I won’t go into any further detail to keep from spoiling it. Although, I do feel you may see it all coming ahead of time.

GRAPHICS: Great, clean stuff, similar to the engine run in Animal Crossing: New Leaf and the Mario games. The game is run at a silky smooth 60 FPS. Very, very rarely do you get brief frame rate drops. I personally don’t believe graphics should ever drive a good game, so I won’t dwell on this and leave it to another reviewer to talk about.

MUSIC: Being a musician myself, I get pretty judgmental on what is considered great music in a video game. It’s clear that the music from LTTP was exceptional, and so much of that is rightfully carried over and rearranged for this game. Who doesn’t love the epic theme that plays when you enter Hyrule Castle and try to save princess Zelda the first time around? Or the soothing Karkariko Village theme which really should just be as traditional as the Star-Spangled Banner at this point? There are a number of new tunes which are great, but just not as catchy and memorable as the old ones. You will also find that in the milk bar, you can pay 10 rupees per song for play beautiful guitar and flute renditions of the songs in the game.

GAMEPLAY: The meat of any Zelda game consists of open world and dungeon crawling with puzzles that get increasingly tricky. There honestly isn’t another top-down Zelda game that gets this any better than A Link to the Past. Following the blueprint of A Link to the Past (I’ll shorten it as “LTTP” from here on out), Nintendo ran the risk of borrowing too much from the magnificent predecessor for this installment. While there were times where I said to myself, “this giant block obstructing my way—but obviously capable of being lifted with the Titan’s Mitt—was in the same EXACT spot 20 years ago”, or “this piece of heart was also EXACTLY in this cave before”, or “I know I’m going to get another bottle from THAT guy under the bridge by the castle…”, or “welllllll damn Hyrule looks almost exactly the same!!!”... Nintendo has added a plethora of changes to make this an almost completely fresh experience while still evoking nostalgia from Zelda veterans. It’s only when you really dive in and play do you notice all of these great changes.

See my review on the Amazon product page for more review details! (I was limited to 5000 char here)

GET THIS GAME NOW!
  25. Dec 5, 2013
    I recommend this to everyone. I have never been a big fan of 2D Zelda games but, this one is just fantastic and every single 3DS owner should have this game.
  26. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this game. I have been a huge fan of zelda since the age of 9 and have loved every single game of zelda that I have played to date.
    The only thing keeping this from a 10, is the lower difficulty and how easy you acquire the items.
    Dungeons were quite simple and there wasn't a skill jump as you can pretty much enter them in any order you like and challenges can seem quite set up and linear.
    Majority of items acquired are simply bought instead of earned which takes away the satisfaction of progressing through the game.
    These cons however do not make the game unplayable.
    - The story is great
    - gameplay is solid
    - Age friendly. Still has a few challenging moments and puzzles for all ages.
    - music...wow
    - still a long game especially for a portable game
    - nostalgic like you won't believe (plenty of A link to the past and Ocarina of Time story references)
    - still magical like all of the other titles have been

Overall Nintendo have done a fantastic job with this one.
    Zelda fans will be able to adapt to the flaws and will definately enjoy the pro's this game has to offer.
    It is a must own for the 3DS hands down.
  27. Nov 24, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece on the 3DS. Nintendo really created a sequel to "A Link to the Past", featuring the old map but new features, most specifically the Merging Ring. The idea to make every item available to rent/purchase is very creative, making me think twice before spending my Rupees. The new villain is superb, and a fresh idea instead of always having Ganon as the main antagonist in every title. This game is truly amazing, and one of the best titles the 3DS has to offer. Expand
  28. Dec 8, 2013
    Never a dull moment as tedious things such as obtaining arrows and bombs from grass is removed + Cut-scenes are kept relevant and at a minimum with the ability to skip them + Great climactic finale and ending + More freedom and less linear than previous Zelda games + Enough content to complete without taking too long + Challenging Hero Mode The entire game is a masterpiece from start to finish, and it is what most games should be like, rather than the interactive movies they are today. I'm hoping that the non-linearity, the use of the energy gauge and everything else used to eliminate any boring parts will become a staple in the series from now on. Expand
  29. Nov 29, 2013
    A Link Between Worlds is a more than satisfying sequel to 1991's Zelda: A link to the Past. I haven't had this much fun with a Zelda game in a long time, it still shows you that the world of Zelda can still bring much discovery after so many years. Familiar surroundings doesn't necessarily mean familiar gameplay mechanics. ALBW carry's a good balance between items you find on your own and what is already available to you without making things too easy. Fun puzzles to solve and unique boss fights are still at the core of the game but still has enough side quests to keep you busy.
    If you were still on the fence about this one, worry not. It has a good pace without ever making anything dry.
  30. Nov 25, 2013
    I really like this iteration of Zelda. A few new innovations and less a compelling story, but it is made up for in the tight controls, gorgeous graphics, unique vibrant worlds and plenty of exploration. I personally like the wall merge capability and how it was integrated into battles and some fairly complex puzzles, which this game has plenty of. You have to think through a lot of your next moves carefully, but it is never to hard.
    I played all the way through in 2 days, about 20 hours worth. I didn't want it to end, but with the addition of a more "open" game-play philosophy for a Zelda game, replay is moderately high. 10
  31. Dec 30, 2013
    I must say first of all that the art in this game is absolutely fantastic. The simple and smooth 3d sprites are beautiful. I'm praying they make at least a couple more Zelda games with this same engine. Gameplay is also great. Exactly what you'd expect from the great zelda franchise. A lot of people complain about how the items are rented from a single central location instead of earned in the dungeons, but I've quite enjoyed how it's made the dungeon system a bit more dynamic. Long story short: buy this game. Expand
  32. Dec 25, 2013
    Easy to learn, addictive and fun. Just a few words to describe this game, one of the best zelda games ever! It is a must buy for any 3ds user and is a great game to get started in the Legend of Zelda franchise!
  33. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

Concept: Improve a classic by evolving the standard formula to include some revolutionary new tweaks, and work better because of it. Far from a simple rehashing of an already known tale.

Graphics: Limited only by the system limits of the handheld device(s) it is on, ALBW has beautiful scenery and a memorable Hyrule.

Sound: Soundtrack pieces both new and old make appearances and all sound classy and classic when mixed together to provide the basis for the game’s musical score.

Playability: The dungeons are well laid out and well crafted, each boss is a perfect fit and the battles aren’t too terribly boring, though maintaining the same level of challenge as before. There is plenty of new content, and this is far from a simple graphical update of the same story we’ve been told several times over. Handles excellently. New ideas work just as well as the old ones they are side by side with.

Entertainment: Boots A Link to the Past out of the number one or two handheld Zelda adventures in my mind, and it has only been out for a short period of time. I’d say that bodes pretty well for it.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 9.0
  34. Dec 5, 2013
    A great follow up to 'A Link To The Past'. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard with mixes from previous Zeldas and completely original new pieces. The graphics are also great and stay true to A Link To The Past's style, but also updates it and makes it fresh. The dungeons are also brilliant with some of the best puzzles in any game.
  35. Dec 5, 2013
    Do you remember the first time you played "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past"? Do you remember the very first time you experienced "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"? Are you like me, and first played those games when you were a kid, and it's been so long you only just barely recall that feeling? I felt it again with "The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds". It is one of the most satisfying, enjoyable, can't-put-it-down games I've played in a long time. If you like "Zelda" games, you will love this. If you've never played a "Zelda" game, this is a great place to start. A must-buy for every 3DS owner. Expand
  36. Dec 4, 2013
    Most enjoyable Zelda game I have played since Wind Waker (although I admit I have only played an hour or two of Skyward Sword). For me Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time will most likely always be my favorite Zelda games, but this one takes 3rd. The dungeons were not overly tricky, but had very good puzzles and they did not take an exorbitant amount of time to complete. I am not huge on replaying games I've beaten, but this one would definitely be one I could see myself playing again. Expand
  37. Nov 26, 2013
    Amazing Game, In my opinion the best Zelda game to date. At the very least for handhelds. It is a memorable experience with fun and interesting dungeons and clever puzzles, a recommendation for anyone who likes puzzling, good stories, adventures and crawling dungeons.
  38. Feb 17, 2014
    LBW is an example of a gamers dream. Nintendo has the strongest franchises for nostalgia. LBW hits those notes perfectly in every way. All gamers wish their childhood game would be brought back to life in stunning graphics and game play. LBW does EXACTLY that. Zelda are blessed to be one of the few to experience this emotion.

This is what I notice in JUST the first 5 minutes of
    playing.

+ Great sound track
    + 60 Frames per second - looks smooth
    + Great animations
    + Polish smooth game play
    + and 3D that doesn't hurt to look at it.

Here's what I experience as playing.

Nintendo takes an old classic and shows that this game has aged very well. It has the same lay out from the SNES version so fans will easily recognize where to go. The quickly throws you straight into the action. This time updating old ideas. Instead of slowly progressing and unlocking items, you are able to rent / buy items to use in the game. Of coarse their are plenty of new ones for old fans to fall in love with.
    ----

The plat forming, level design, and dungeons are ALL well thought out. The game difficulty is easy enough to pick up and play but the concepts of navigating through puzzles show why this is ONE of the best franchise to date.

Once you start to realize how creative the levels are, you quickly understand why this game is praised so highly. Even the dungeons early on require you to use 3-4 of the different items , and mechanics to really explore every corner of the game. From hovering around with the use of the tornado stick, to bouncing on plat forms from your giant hammer, to sneaky in out of cracks with the new ability to glue yourself to the wall, this game has it all and it's a must for 3DS owners.
  39. Jun 22, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the reason why I play video games. Visually great, intuitive gameplay and outstanding level design. The only negative thing I have to say about this game is the fact that it is kind of short and easy. The best 3DS game yet without any doubt.
  40. Dec 1, 2013
    I'm a major Zelda fan, and I can tell this is the best portable Zelda game I've ever played. challenging puzzles and dungeos, beautiful graphics and 3D works just great, remarkable soundtrack (I missed that a lot in the last zelda games) and the gameplay in general is amazingly fun!. For the classic zelda a link to the past fans, this is a must-have.
  41. Dec 6, 2013
    I love Zelda, always have. I started with Link's Awakening, and have played each Zelda up till now. Sadly half-way through the game I found I was breezing through all the dungeons, and finding almost every collectable. By the end of the weekend I had found all 100 squid babies, and was only missing one heart container. Now don't get me wrong. I love this game. And the rental system is cool, but it eliminates any potential difficulty curve. Zelda puzzles feel at their best when they require the use of multiple items instead of one at a time. As for the story, it felt a little lacking untill the end when it picked up faster than sonic the hedgehog on a moving walkway. With twists that would put M Night Shamaylan to shame. Now for every complaint I have there are 10 amazing things that completely outshine them. I love the amount of detail put into this game, and I eagerly await the next WII U title, and hopes it pushes the conventions of an openworld game, the same way Ocarina of Time did on the N64. If any company can continue to push the boundries of what a system can do for a game it's Nintendo. Expand
  42. Nov 24, 2013
    ok. actually 9.5
    this game is not perfect as ocarina of time or skyward sword
    but its look like a link to the past remake. its good to see that
    it has a good gameplay,with graphics very descents and a good story
    not excelent but good
  43. May 17, 2014
    A Link Between Worlds is everything that a sequel to A Link to The Past should be. It's charming and will make those who played the original feel nostalgic but it's more than just a redo. The new mechanic that allows you to turn into a painting is innovative and really serves to open up the gameplay. The gameworld is beautifully designed both Hyrule and Lorule. The story is one of the best of any Zelda titles and the characters are memorable and well written. This game should not be missed by any Zelda fan. Expand
  44. Dec 1, 2013
    An excellent game, and it truly lives up to the franchise's reputation. In my opinion, top-down gameplay is the best way to experience The Legend of Zelda. Brought to life with beautifully simple graphics and impressive use of 3D technology, A Link Between Worlds makes for what is, in my opinion, the 3DS' best game to date.

Superior dungeon design, incredible music, nice visuals, clever
    puzzles, and peerless gameplay contribute to this game's success. The only drawback is the slight lack of depth to the story, but the ending is more than satisfying.

All in all, one of the best Zelda games to this day, and it proves that the franchise is still at its best.

PRESENTATION: 10/10
    CORE GAME: 9/10
    VISUALS: 9.5/10
    AUDIO: 10/10
    GAMEPLAY: 10/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 9/10

Overall: 9.7/10
  45. Nov 22, 2013
    It's Zelda, what can you say. If you like the franchise, especially the older ones, get this. If not, then ignore it.
    The new mechanic where you stick to walls is a nice feature, and so is the new magic bar. Not much else to say.
  46. Nov 24, 2013
    I love every aspect of this game. I especially enjoy how there is a great use of the 3D effect from a top down point of view. The portrait mechanics is very clever and adds a unique flare to the puzzles. The story is rich with adventure and decent level of difficulty. There is also a rent an item feature that creates a great balance of exploration freedom. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is one of the few games that deserves a 10/10 Expand
  47. Nov 24, 2013
    This is honestly a horrible game... nah it is in my opinion the best game for the 3DS by far. It runs very smoothly and has a great control scheme. It is my favorite Zelda game ever.
  48. Nov 25, 2013
    Anything A link to the past has going for it, A link between worlds improves and does even better. One of the best Zeldas out there, focusing on intelligent puzzles. Gorgeous constant 60 frames per second, and a musical masterpiece
  49. Dec 2, 2013
    The true sequel to SNES classic.Well thought out puzzles,challenging boss fights,superb soundtrack and cute graphics makes this game a 3DS classic.Simply a Must-Buy
  50. Jan 2, 2014
    As someone who considers a Link to the Past to be the best Zelda game of all time (incidentally also the first I remember playing), I was excited to hear about a remake; even moreso when it was announced that it would be a sequel.

Now that I've played it, I can say it's even better than my high expectations made it seem. With gorgeous graphics, brilliantly placed 3D, nostalgic gameplay,
    and a surprisingly intriguing story (albeit most of the twists were near the end), any video game fan not just fans of Zelda would be stupid not to pass up such a modern masterpiece. Expand
  51. Nov 27, 2013
    When I was in grade school, my friend "gave" me a game called 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past'. I got so hooked up I can't stop playing. It was the first Zelda game I've played.

I bought The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds the other day and I can't believe I'm almost done with the game. It's nostalgic and funny because there are things have changed and I can't stop my
    curiosity. It is a game worth the replay.

PS: Sorry Emmanuel, I never returned the SNES cartridge to you, I still have your game.
  52. Nov 28, 2013
    It's like A Link to the Past popped up in a magical toybox in my hand. Just fantastically brilliant all around. So super high polished, and totally gorgeous. A must-have for 3DS owners, and a great showcase for the system.
  53. Nov 30, 2013
    What I at first that would be an annoying adventure soon turned into my favorite. I thought the item rental would be a pain since it seemed like you would always be losing your items it ended up making hhis game unique and great. Also the whole entire landscape is a nostalgic trip for those who have played LttP dozens of times. My only complaint is that the game can be completed way too fast, but it will make it more fun to speed run this game. Expand
  54. Dec 6, 2013
    An absolute delightful and charming game. Had me hooked after the first 20 minutes. The dungeons are interesting, numerous and brief enough that suit it perfectly for the handheld device.
    The streetpass functionality is fun and exciting.
    It was the first game in a while that I started it again, immediately after completing it.
  55. Dec 12, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is great for so many reasons. Being a fan of A Link to the Past, i really enjoyed my time with this game! If your looking for a good Zelda game, than look no further!
  56. Dec 26, 2013
    Where to being for 'A Link Between Worlds'? (Old-time fans might want to skip to further down if they want my take on the new gameplay changes) I went into this game skeptically, as I'm sure did many people. New ideas are introduced to this game and that alone can be scary when it comes to a tried and true franchise, especially for those old school gamers, but this game does everything right. Before I go on I'd like to mention the pacing, tutorial-wise. Newcomers should find that they are eased into the game nicely whilst old-timer's will find that they are not bombarded with things that they already know, which I find very refreshing by itself.

The first important thing to note for this game is that it is set in the same Hyrule as in 'A Link to the Past'. This alone had me skeptical, but where I once thought I was being cheated out of a new land to explore I now feel elation at having revisited Hyrule in this new light. The map remains much the same geographically but collectibles do not, allowing veterans of the franchise the challenge of making Link the perfect hero once again. I was also worried that all the dungeons and bosses would be rehashed versions of those from 'A Link to the Past', but thankfully this is not true. The dungeons have retained their names and several also have the same theme but the layout of the dungeons are not the same and are much more puzzle and item oriented than they once were, and there were few enough familiar faces where bosses are concerned.

The story is well crafted and extremely enjoyable, without a doubt a strong point in the series (particularly among the handheld titles of the franchise). The characters encountered in the game are charming and interesting. Old fans of the series will recognise several faces and nods to earlier titles (check the West wall of Link's home in Hyrule) which will undoubtedly summon up some nostalgia, though several new characters are introduced to the story line that are extremely lovable and memorable. The music is mostly made up of remastered tracks from 'A Link to the Past' and the whole score sounds fantastic. Again, old fans of the series will find something new to love and should enjoy feeling very nostalgic as they listen to classic tracks in a new light.

Finally, we come to the three significant gameplay changes to 'A Link Between Worlds'. First and foremost, the ability to become a painting on the wall. While odd, this added a whole new element to the gameplay without taking away from the already existing mechanics of combat and exploration. The only problem I had was occasionally forgetting about it entirely as I walked around trying to figure out how to get somewhere I had to wall-walk to.

Next, there's the inclusion of a regenerative stamina bar rather than the traditional magic bar. This also serves to replace ammunition, giving you infinite uses of an item so long as you have a little stamina. At first I was put off by the thought of this replacement to the tried and tested system of picking up bombs and arrows and magic pots but it turned out to be an extremely pleasant surprise. In previous titles such as 'A Link to the Past' I found that I very rarely used items such as bombs or arrows in combat because I didn't want to not have them should I need them. Magic items such as the Fire Rod I didn't use at all, for obvious reasons, and the new stamina bar allowed me to use these items to their full effect in combat, making battles much more enjoyable than ever before.

Last but not least, we come to the rental system. Again, when I first learned of item rental I was very put off. However, I was once again pleasantly surprised. In previous titles you would find the item required to best the dungeon inside the dungeon. Ensuring that the player has the item before entering changes the way the dungeons are created to some extent. Item oriented puzzles are present throughout the entire dungeon as opposed to half the dungeon, and the puzzles in this game are very engaging and well thought-out, the Sand Palace being a perfect example of this through the inclusion of my new favourite item, the Sand Rod (which is also used in the dungeon's stellar boss fight).

In conclusion, this game is a superb addition to the franchise. The story is gripping, the soundtrack is moving, the gameplay is rewarding and Hero Mode is challenging. If you're already a fan of the franchise this game will make a terrific addition to your collection. If you're new to the series then this is the perfect game to start with.
  57. Dec 27, 2013
    nam noodle......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  58. Nov 27, 2013
    i haven't played my 3ds in a really long time but i had to get this game when it came out. i've been really pleased! i'm a sucker for pretty much every zelda game, and this one is set in Link To The Past, which is one of those really, really good oldschool ones.
  59. Jan 13, 2014
    First I want to say that this is the first Zelda game I have ever played. With that said, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Exploring every nook and cranny of Hyrule, getting every item, experiencing every event was a thrill a minute. The world is so rich and full of character and history that I was so blown away. The gameplay was also an amazing feat hacking and slashing away, solving puzzles, merging with the environment and traversing to dimensions is simply dumbfounding. I never knew how breathtaking a Legend of Zelda game was until I experienced. This game has launched Zelda-madness for me and I will never forget the first time I explored Hyrule. Expand
  60. Jun 23, 2014
    Link Between Worlds manages to leave nothing behind from 1991's Link To The Past, while standing on its own achievements during Nintendo's near-campaign to rediscover their roots. Intelligent and polished, content is delivered in the right amounts with few issues- seamlessly elevating the classic formula to the 3DS' prowess. It's hard to find a mistake in this Hyrule.
  61. Apr 18, 2014
    I absolutely LOVE this game, and I usually don't like Zelda games very much. But this game... There is actually nothing I can complain about; it's got fun bossfights, delightful graphics and even the dungeons are fun. I must recommend this to anyone who is an old Zelda fan and to newcomers.
  62. Jan 2, 2014
    The lowest review scores are from Destructoid and The Escapist so it's safe to say this is a great game that people who don't contrarily hate something because it's popular will really enjoy.
  63. Aug 23, 2014
    If you liked 2D TLoZ games, you're gonna totally love this game too. But I felt like game is a little bit easier than other TLoZ games (played A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages & Seasons). Buying and renting items are cool but that's the easy part in my opinion. Other than that, if you own a 3DS and still thinking about "Hmm, should I really buy A Link Between Worlds?", you're wasting your precious time. Go and buy it! Expand
  64. Nov 27, 2013
    This Zelda iteration took me by surprise and never let go, it's one of the best Zelda games dare I say, ever; the beauty in the visual direction is rivaled not only by an intricately amazing dungeon designs but also by one of the best soundtracks you'll ever hear in a video game. This game changed a lot of Zelda conventions for the absolute better, from the way the items, exploration and puzzles are handled to the innovative and thought-provoking use of the New power of 2D Link "Merging" with walls. It also has the best use of 3D on the 3DS. All in all, Zelda: ALBW succeeds in almost every way imaginable for a videogame masterpiece and continues to cement the notion held by many gamers that the Zelda franchise is the gold standard for video games. Expand
  65. Jan 12, 2014
    This is a good game, but it feels a little easy for me once i got a good amount of heart pices and upgrades (prior to that i died once every dungeon). The puzzles are cleverly done and the music was epic, it improves with the progresion of the game meking you feeling more pumped through the end.

Now i will start hero mode to see if it fits better my skills. Buy this game this is a
    clasic for the 3DS and one of the best Zelda games Expand
  66. Aug 4, 2014
    A Link Between Worlds is my first Zelda game, and did it ever impress! I loved the expansive overworld and simple yet fulfilling combat, but what really makes A Link Between Worlds shine are the dungeons. Each dungeon is totally unique, and each has a new mechanic that is not seen anywhere else. My only complaints are that the game is a bit on the short side, and it seemed too much like each dungeon was tailored for a specific tool. That being said, however, I would still wholeheartedly recommend A Link Between Worlds to any fan of action/adventure games. Expand
  67. Nov 25, 2013
    Already excited for future iterations or games that have similar mechanics to this. Agreed with a few that it could be a bit harder. I think anyone who has never played A Link to the Past, this may be a bit harder for them, but any of us old schoolers, definitely will feel a bit easy at times. Otherwise, classic game and excited for the future.
  68. Apr 9, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a game that is built upon the beautiful game, A Link to the Past, and improves upon both the original game and the Zelda series by tweaking some of the conventions with brilliant new ideas. This game draws inspiration from the best of the old while shooting into the new with great new ideas for this wonderful series. A link to the past and a link to the future. 9.6/10 Expand
  69. Mar 2, 2014
    A long time Zelda fan's review on ALBW: - Presentation: 9/10 Technically speaking ALBW is a milestone. 60 fps and a beautiful 3D world with very nice cutscenes make it the prettiest 3DS game. What did annoy me is that it uses an art style similar to Skyward Sword and the Wind Waker. Cartooney metro-sexual characters don't belong in the world of ALttP yet Aonuma did it again. The music in ALBW is excellent. It offers a few new good Zelda tracks but it mostly relies on classic Zelda tunes, mainly from ALttP.

- Gameplay: 9/10
    ALBW comes with some twists in the gameplay department. A new item system and merging into walls gives the player much more freedom. This is the most open world Zelda since the first installment, which is a good thing after Skyward Sword's obstructive linearity. Although it's pretty much the same overworld as ALttP, due to these new gameplay elements it still feels fresh.
    The puzzle difficulty and combat isn't too hard in ALBW, but for newcomers to the franchise it will provide a good challenge. The dungeons are excellent albeit a bit short.
    The story is surprisingly elaborate for a handheld Zelda game. In fact the whole production value is on a console level.

- Verdict:
    It's like what Twilight Princess was to Ocarina of Time: an excellent nostalgic Zelda. But ALBW just does a bit more to make it a standalone classic and not a rip-off.
    + high quality graphics, music and story
    + fun traditional open world Zelda
    + new gameplay mechanics make it fresh
    - childish and slightly out of place art design.

Perhaps the best handheld Zelda. 9/10
  70. Nov 26, 2013
    This is by far the best Zelda game since A Link to the Past. It's a shame it took Nintendo 22 years to realize that the top-down 2D style of Zelda is the BEST style of Zelda. I really hope they learned their lesson so I don't have to wait another 2 decades for another one! Keep the 2D top-down Zelda games coming!

At first I was turned off by the art style, but after playing it, I not
    only got used to it (almost immediately), but I actually really like it now! Also, the wall painting mechanic I thought would be gimmicky and dumb, but it's actually pretty cool and I really like it now too!

The new item system allows a new sort of freedom (tackling dungeons in any order you want is pretty neat).. If you found the game too easy, a hard mode unlocks after you beat the game, which is a nice challenge.

The music and frequent references to A Link to the Past are nostalgia heaven!

The original Zelda, ALTTP, and Link's Awakening were the best Zelda games and A Link Between Worlds is right up there with them!

Go buy it if you haven't already! You will love it! It's the game of the decade and certainly game of the year for me! Thank you, Nintendo!
  71. Mar 29, 2014
    I would like to go out on a limb here and say that alongside OoT 3D, this is the best 3DS title released to date. I was glad they finally made a LttP sequel, and it's awesome. The 3D effects in this game are really great and only add to the beautiful environments, characters, etc. The dungeons are challenging enough to give you a good head scratching, and the game is decently long, like a Zelda game should be. 10/10 Expand
  72. Nov 25, 2013
    If you remember playing Link to the Past buying this game is a no brainer. To even the smallest detail the look, feel, and sounds are exactly like LTTP. Even links sleeves are red. My only problem with this game is that it was too easy. (I completed the entire game only dying 3 times) My favorite part of this game is the AWESOME music. 9/10
  73. Nov 27, 2013
    A little too familiar, but hard to fault the game too much for absolutely nailing the nostalgia. The music was my favorite part of the game by far, with remixed versions of the classic music, along with new themes such as the dark world boss themes that will blow your mind! The new mechanic is great; turning into a painting opens up tons of possibilities and is used constantly throughout the game! Seeing the returning locations was a bit of a letdown; the overworld is almost identical to A Link to the Past, while the dungeons are mostly the same places, but redone enough to make them stand out.

Im a huge Zelda fan and this game was pure fun the entire way through. I would love to see more of these on handhelds, as top down Zelda games like this, Minish Cap and so on are always very good. Keep the 3d on, its worth it.
  74. Dec 20, 2013
    The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is an amazing game given that its on the 3DS. It brings on all the greatness of the Link To The Past without being an anachronism. It also brings back what is missing today and that is the single player experience which means having a great story.
  75. Jul 23, 2014
    The only thing keeping this game from a perfect score is its level of difficulty. The game is a bit too easy because of the huge amounts of rupees available that trivialize the rental system. Combine this with the relative ease of the dungeons, and the game isn't that challenging. If only one of these were a factor, the game would be perfect.

The game introduces no new items but gives
    the ability to turn into a painting, which makes for some interesting puzzles. The enemies are varied and all of the bosses are multistage battles that combine clever item usage and frantic sword swinging. The story ends very well and left me immensely satisfied. Basically, there is no tier of gamer I couldn't recommend this game to- it's easy enough for almost anyone but fun enough that even expert players will enjoy it. Expand
  76. Nov 27, 2013
    ,One of the best puzzle/adventure games on the Nintendo3ds. The new twists that ALBW brings to the franchises is a breath of fresh air. While the game is a bit shorter then regular zelda games, it is still much better then the ds games and it's classes itself in one of the best zelda games of all time.
  77. Mar 16, 2014
    Definitely a great game. Not perfect like everyone makes it out to be, but still an outstanding handheld title. Despite using most of the Link to the Past elements, it truly does feel like an enhanced version of the game without rehashing too much. The difficulty is fairly light (actually harder early on then gets easier), but that doesn't make it a bad game by any means. If you enjoy the action-adventure known as LoZ, I highly recommend picking this one up. One of the very few good games that exist on the 3DS. Expand
  78. Dec 25, 2013
    Um clássico renascido com outra história e jogabilidade. Para os nostálgicos, maravilhoso ver aquele desenho antigo de Link (topete e roupa marrom) andando por uma Hyrule desconhecida pela maioria dos fãs de Zelda. A Nintendo acertou em cheio ao utilizar àquela Engine de seus tempos áureos e nos proporcionou uma obra prima, assim como todo Zelda deveria ser. A música casa tão bem com o game que com certeza compraria uma trilha sonora. Os gráficos aparentam ser simples, mas quando se vê o cenário e seu capricho artistico, logo percebemos que o 3DS bem mais poderoso do que se aparenta. A jogabilidade flui com tamanha leveza que muito dificil você se confundir nos comandos ou travar nos botões. A interação com os itens está muito mais dinâmica do que em OOT e sua história segue uma linha tradicional subsequente direta do maravilhoso A Link to the Past. A interação com os dois mundos sensacional. Infelizmente, como todo Zelda, o que deixa a desejar a dificuldade a qual se mostrou extremamente facil, ainda mais agora que você pode alugar qualquer item do jogo desde que tenha rupees para isso. Aquele esquema de pegar itens seguidos e ordenados nos calabouços foi esquecido. A mecânica agora alugar com o estranhissimo e não menos folgado Rovio o qual aluga itens ou armas Link. Você os perde, porém, quando morre em batalha e cá entre nós, um tanto quanto facil morrer em batalha visto que a câmera torna-se um pouco desfortável no começo, mas nada que atrapalhe a jogatina. Zelda: A Link between Worlds veio para brilhar em meio a um mar de mesmice e plágios enrustidos dos games que se dizem da 8ª geração. Ryse e afins jamais conseguiriam ter a beleza técnica e artística que os caras da Nintendo proporcionam a todos os seus fãs. A riqueza de detalhes no mundo de Hyrule assim como a gama de personagens caracteristicos, cada um com uma personalidade, desviando ou ajudando o caminho árduo de Link. E olha só que coisa: o game dura lá pelas suas 20 horas. Longo, considerando que um game para um portátil.

Mais uma vez, a Nintendo nos mostra como fazer um game com pouco. Foi assim por gerações e continua agora. O que precisa ser feito, agora, um game desse nível para o Nintendo Wii U para enterre de uma vez por todas essas criticas pífias e injustas que os fã boys fazem a respeito da empresa. Jamais deixe de jogar esse game; ele mais essencial que mario kart 7. Um clássico que entrará para historia. Nos anos do futuro, com toda a certeza lembraremos desse jogo como uma maravilha do nosso tempo e lá, e somente lá, daremos o devido valor para essa obra prima do entretenimento. Jogue!
  79. Dec 16, 2013
    With a nostalgic feeling, the astonishing graphics for a handheld and the puzzles that we fans of The Legend of Zelda always wished for, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a definitive and must have title not only for Zelda fans, but for all 3DS owner.
  80. Jan 6, 2014
    As much as The Legend of Zelda is among my favorite gaming franchises, I’ll be the first one to admit it needed a makeover. Somewhere along the way things became stagnant, and while new games were still excellent, they lacked that sense of wonder present in the best entries of the series, such as the recently remade Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and, yes, A Link to the Past. Zelda needed another game changer, and I am overjoyed to say that A Link Between Worlds is the real deal.

As you're probably aware, the game is a direct sequel to SNES's A Link to the Past, and as such retains the overhead perspective (but with improved graphics). It works just as well as it did back then, giving the game a sense of simplicity that can often be lost in more sprawling third-person adventures. This is one of A Link between Worlds' greatest triumphs: it's a tight game where nothing takes too long to do, making it just about perfect for a handheld platform. Of course, this also means that it's closer in length to previous handheld Zeldas like Oracle of Seasons or Link's Awakening; it took me a little less than 30 hours to finish it with every last collectible, compared to the 50 plus hours I recently spent in Wind Waker HD. The game is so perfectly crafted, however, that those 30 hours really counted.

The main "gimmick" in display is Link's ability to turn into a painting. This allows you to switch from the overhead perspective to sidescrolling sections. At this point I am utterly convinced that this might just be the greatest mechanic ever in any Zelda game. It is astonishing just how clever the implementation was, allowing you to do so much more than would be ordinarily possible in a game like this.

Another big hit is the new way of getting weapons. Now, you rent (and later buy) them from a new character named Ravio. This allows you to tackle dungeons in whichever order you choose, which gives the game an incredible sense of freedom. If you're worried about losing that awesome "finally-finding-a-new-weapon" moment in the game's dungeons, worry no more: there are still unique items to be found in each of them, making the switch one with absolutely no downsides. Furthermore, after you finally buy a weapon, you have a way of upgrading it: just collect a bunch of maimai babies (little crustacean creatures cleverly hidden throughout the game's world) and take them to their mother. A set of 10 maimai allows the mother to upgrade a weapon of your choice, with a nice reward if you manage to collect all 99 of them.

And then there's the story. It starts out fairly by-the-numbers, but rest assured you'll have a few oh-my-goodness moments until the very end. It is clever and endearing, and will likely go down as one of the series' best.

Not only is A Link Between Worlds a great game in its own right, it's also insanely exciting as a foreshadowing for things to come in future Zelda entries. They're finally breaking some pretty hard-set conventions, and the result is absolutely gorgeous.
  81. Jan 9, 2014
    The ability to warp into a moving portrait initially concerned me, but it works flawlessly. The original SNES title is my favorite game. A Link Between Worlds takes the original and improves upon it in every way. The overworld is enjoyable to explore. The dungeons meet the expectation set by the franchise. The combat is as fun as ever. The new weapon system shouldn't worry anyone as it is implemented very well and allows the gamer to choose which dungeon to explore. A Link Between Worlds is so good that it's worth purchasing a 3ds for. Expand
  82. Nov 30, 2013
    My favorite Zelda to date. The amount of freedom and the feel of discovery that you can get by this game is incredible. I have never been so exited to open a bran new chest, and the little sound of the maimais made me stay up on my feet and never got me bored. Also the 3D effect is incredible, since SM3DL I haven't had such a better experience by adding the 3D.
    This is an incredible game.
    I have always loved Nintendo, but for some reason Zelda never appeal to me, but I think that this is a game changer and this leave me looking forward for what Nintendo has for the future of this franchise especially on the home console market Expand
  83. Apr 1, 2014
    Went into this game not expecting much, but after constant hours, I can clearly say that I loved playing this game. Never was a fan of A Link To The Past but this game is amazing. The story is great, the variety of weapons & items to collect, to just being overall addicting. The Zelda series has another gem to the collection.
  84. Nov 23, 2013
    If you enjoy 2D Zelda, you will love this game. This my favorite handheld Zelda of all time and it may even beat out all other 2D Zelda games. This game may be touted as an A Link to the Past Sequel, but I honestly think it's most similar to Minish Cap in gameplay. The overworld is really nostalgic to me having loved A Link to the Past, but I was honestly disappointed that there wasn't a new realm to explore since A Link Between Worlds greatest strength is in it's exploration and discovery. However, there are enough new mechanics to actually keep the overworld feeling fresh. The new item mechanic is pretty neat. It gives significant weight to death that previous games didn't. However, this mechanic did somewhat hurt dungeon design. The puzzles in dungeons are fantastic, but the dungeons are incredibly short. With all of the creativity in the dungeons, I became really disappointed with the lack of depth to them. The dungeons were very much one trick ponies. Once you have discovered their secret, you can easily blaze through them. This made many of the dungeons forgettable. However, there were a couple of standout dungeons that really saved this aspect of the game. The thieves hideout and turtle rock dungeons were thoroughly enjoyable and there are a few others that were very well designed, I just felt they needed the depth that finding an item midway through can add. Graphically speaking, this game is beautiful in 3D. The environments are very colorful and inviting. My only gripe is that the character models are really goofy. All of the characters were really gnome like. Speaking of characters, A Link Between Worlds has a lot of good characters. I liked all of the villains. Especially a certain surprise villain towards the end. I also loved seeing Dampe make a return, and many of the random NPCs in the world are well written. All in all, this game truly deserves some attention and should be considered by any Zelda fan and is a must by for top down adventure lovers. Expand
  85. Dec 13, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds has everything you could ever ask for in a nostalgic Zelda title. Great graphics, great gameplay, great dungeons, very well thought-out bosses (adding a unique spin on some old friends) and fantastic, memorable characters, I would recommend this game to every Zelda fan in the world who ever doubted this title, and I would highly recommend it to those who already thought of getting it. This title takes the old, nostalgic feeling that nostalgic Zelda fans have been waiting for and they blend it to perfection with all the wholesome wonder of a brand-new, shiny title off of the shelves. It is my favorite Zelda since Twilight Princess, and even then, there are several things I like about this more than TP even, and it would be extremely worth your time to play this title. Just don't play it too quickly! Expand
  86. Dec 21, 2013
    Every time a new Legend of Zelda game comes out, it once again raises the bar for what fans have come to expect. It’s a series that has very rarely delivered anything below a fantastic experience. But for all series, a time comes when it must change. A link between worlds has done just that. The latest entry has similarities to a link to the past, but it’s full of innovation and surprise.
    The one thing that disappoints here is the story, which is bland, boring and very functional. After Skyward Sword’s fantastic plot and characters, I can’t understand why the story here is as thin as toilet paper.
    Fortunately, everything else is near-perfect. The graphic style is immaculate, making ALBW the best-looking 3DS game of 2013. All areas of Hyrule and Lorule are gorgeously presented. I strongly advise to play with 3D on as the visuals are not so much enhanced as completely different with it on. Yes, this is a 2D Zelda, but 3D really does make a huge difference. The music is of equal quality, with a mixture of remixes of previous tunes and new ones. All the music and sound effects here are to a very high standard.
    But ALBW’s greatest triumph is how it ditches the usual Zelda structure. There are still dungeons full of puzzles and combat, but instead of going to the dungeon, getting its item, using the item then defeating the dungeon boss, now all the items are available from the start in a shop. This means that you can get any item you want, if you have the rupees, right from the get-go. It also means that in the second half of the game you can tackle dungeons in any order you want. This is a brilliant idea for a number of reasons, for example it gives more reason to collecting rupees so you will never be disappointed if you find them in a chest: over my playthrough; I used over 10,000 altogether. However there is one flaw- the dungeons you choose to do later are as a result considerably easier and though all are well-designed, with challenging puzzles and enemies, you will find the later ones easier. A hard mode unlockable after completeing the game normally does add challenge as enemies do 4 times the damage.
    Dungeons do have one inconsistency, and that’s the boss battles. Zelda is known for its outstanding bosses, but ALBW’s bosses are mostly easy and unmemorable, save a few.
    But largely, ALBW throws away what had gworn stale in the franchise, but it brings back something that was missing in the last few titles: the exploration. Hyrule is full of secrets, and the more you explore, the more you uncover. Finding pieces of heart and other items requires clever thinking and as well as that a lot of exploration of Hyrule and its dark opposite, Lorule. The more you explore, the more you find and as a result, the exploration of the kingdom is unpredictable and it always feels as if you are finding something new, something unprecedented. There are not so many side quests at all, which is very different, but there don’t need to be: the kingdom of Hyrule has it all.
    One addition to the game which deserves a mention is the ability to become a painting and then move left and right in the wall. It doesn’t sound like it adds much, but for me this was what really settled ALBW as an excellent game. It adds a new dimension to the puzzles and it makes exploring Hyrule even more fun.
    A Link between Worlds is a Zelda that does so much to the series. It completely reinvents the franchise and it never stops giving. At round about 20 hours from start to finish, it certainly isn’t the longest Zelda, but the amount of countryside there is to explore adds on so much more to that length of time. Finding every single secret will take much longer.
  87. Dec 27, 2013
    Fun for all ages. This chapter in the Legend of Zelda franchise is the same as the last top down zelda games but with a few new gameplay elements that take advantage of this being a 3d rendered world. If you like zelda or are just getting into it, this is the game for you.
  88. Oct 20, 2014
    I only got this game b/c it came with my badass-golden-Triforce-painted 3DS XL, which is the version I bought. Only just now got around to playing it and am incredibly surprised by how much I like it.

I should start by saying I have never been a Zelda fan. In fact, I have yet to complete any Zelda game I have ever started. LBW could be the first, though. It is very accessible, easy to
    navigate and addictive. So many times I have been about to turn it off but will think, “Just one more dungeon…” The last game I tried to get through was the 3DS version of Ocarina of time. While that is a fine game, I much prefer LBW’s top-down SNES-like view for a handheld system.

And while dismissed as a mere gimmick by some, the pop in & out of a drawing ability is unique and adds an extra layer to puzzles. Plus it is animated in a very cool way. I also like how pretty much all of the items are available to rent right off the bat (and can later be purchased at a much higher price). This limits the amount of backtracking you’ll have to do and also gives you an extra incentive to not die: you can choose to continue rather than reload the last save, but will have to give back all rented items & pay for them again.

Story is, as usual, the weakest part. Nothing too special going on which you haven’t seen in a previous Zelda title. Also, the 3D effects are under-utilized. Most times it only adds depth and you’ll notice very little difference when switching the 3D mode off. What can I say? I’m a sucker for stuff popping out of the screen.

Overall, this is a solid title that will appeal to any 3DS owner. It’s a must-play title for the system.
  89. May 12, 2014
    Everything about this game is perfect. The sound-track rocks. The graphics are awesome! (Really, the screenshots looked terrible to me, but you should play it and the 3D-effect is really well-done.) The gameplay is superb! I love everything about this game.
  90. Dec 20, 2013
    absolute zelda perfection. i done know how anyone could give this game a negative rating (unless they were trolls which is likely)

zelda fans, zelda newcomers....you are buying a modern classic. dont let this one pass you by.
  91. Feb 3, 2014
    Although is true that going for so much trouble solving puzzles just to get some rupees you will end up not using near the end, everything else is great. It was like going back to play the old SNES title, but better, because it's everything fresh. Elements were so classic and yet some many things new and entertaining. I am not a Zelda fan, but I like it, and I can tell you I didn't get so engages with the previous 2 or 3 titles as I was with this one :). Expand
  92. Nov 22, 2013
    Just near to be perfect, i toght that it will be a copy/paste of a likn to the past, but its not, the remaster of the music is perfect and the visuals are simple but stonishing at the same time i dont know why maybe its some kind of trickery, but its a wonderful game
  93. Dec 27, 2013
    Nintendo shows that they still know what they're doing. I loved a Link to the Past, and this modernization of the game works just as well. I was enthralled by the stretches of Hyrule, and the Dark World, now called Lorule. Nostalgia made sweet impact as familiar music and areas hit.

I appreciate that the game is fast-paced and more action oriented, and it provides a great classic
    feel. What's also great is being able to rent every item you could possibly need. It's great to just jump right into the action with reckless abandon.

The game's story is also quite a bit different. The ending was also quite atypical from most Zelda games, and I enjoyed watching it unfold throughout the adventure.

Although the game managed to replicate the old school feel, it didn't replicate the old school challenge. This might just be the easiest Zelda game to date, even easier than Wind Waker. I understand the reasoning because of how open the world was. The game's later dungeons are all accessible at once, so it would be unfair for someone whose new to enter a ridiculous dungeon, but I love digging through enormous dungeons. Some veterans may even finish the game in 10 or so hours. There is hero mode, but considering how easy it was, it would've been nice to have the option right off the bat.

Still, it's a great game, especially for newcomers and those who might be intimidated by the series.
  94. Nov 25, 2013
    link between worlds... I see what you did there nintendo
    As an older zelda fan I was disappointed with skyward sword because it tailored to a younger crowd but this game catered to new zelda fans without alienating die hards like me. Just to let you know I never give 10s on reviews although if I was rating the zelda series as a whole I just might make an exception.
  95. Nov 29, 2013
    You know when they brought Arrested Development back for its forth season and it just wasn't the same. In fact it was like they went out of the way to make it worse? I was worried that something like that might happen for this game. Link to the Past the game that Link Between Worlds is imitating is one of my top ten favorite games of all time. So This game had so much to live up to. I was completely surprised when the game met my expectations and at the end exceeded them. PLAY TO THE END if you haven't.

So many things have plagued the Zelda Series since it transitioned into 3D. Excessively long tutorials have been the bane of my existence and honestly stop me from even wanting to play through a second time. I nearly broke a controller fighting a boss in Wind Waker because the 'Nintendo Style three hit boss system' is so damn infuriating. Boss fights aren't really a battle just a puzzle that has one solution and if you try the wrong thing you are defeated. Link Between worlds thankfully deviates from this system and goes back to a system where you can use various different items to fight a boss. My wife used bombs to fight one of them that I would have never thought to use them on.

The Non linear progression through the world is such a good and fresh idea. My wife is completing the game in a completely different order than me and it is so good to have a game that we can play together and have different outcomes to the same events.

The game isn't perfect but it gets so much right. My one complain was that it was too easy. I never died even once. I even managed to defeat the final boss with out getting the red armor because I didn't find it. This is a minor complaint. So much that I have felt for a while has been missing from the series. When I finished this game I immediately wanted to start a new game in Hero mode. Something that the mere thought of in Skyward Sword I would not even consider. After I finished a level in Twilight Princess I would feel the need to stop playing the only reason I wanted to stop in this one was because it was my wife's turn. This game may not be completely original and it does barrow much from its predecessor but it is completely unique in a way that makes itself shine.

Shine on Link Between Worlds because you are now my 2nd favorite Zelda game of all time.
  96. Mar 17, 2014
    A great game in every sense. In my opinion, a superior game to A Link to the Past in almost every way. With that said, now the flaws of the game. The best way to describe ALBW is that its a roller coaster ride: from beginning to end, it's a terrific and comfortable experience with thrills at every corner. You'll have a smile on your face for every minute of this thrill-ride. But that's where the problem comes in: it's a thrill and nothing more, and a quick thrill at that. There's no denying I had fun with the ingenious dungeon design, fun-to-solve puzzles, intense boss fights and intriguing plot, but while playing the game I never felt challenged. This was mainly due to the weak exploration: the secrets are rather easy to discover and vast amounts of Rupees are practically handed to you. It's almost as if Nintendo wanted me to have the least frustrating experience possible, but it hurt the immersion. Unlike other Zeldas, I didn't feel like I was embarking on an adventure; I felt like I was playing a game and that's it.

I also felt the art direction, while unique, wasn't all that interesting and even at times unpleasant to look at. But its soundtrack, while similar to ALttP, is great, my favorite being Lorule's Death Mountain theme.

The game's story also shines as you're essentially meeting characters that live in a hopeless world: a world without a Triforce. It's a fascinating concept, and while it gave a very satisfactory ending, I do wish that the game went more than just knee-deep into the plot.

Overall, I suppose the biggest complaint I have with ALBW is that it is non-stop action: you are always doing something. The problem is that the game never gives itself a chance to breathe and to let you take in your surroundings in order to immerse you into the game's world.

While I wasn't blown away by the game, rest assured I had a great time with it. The Zelda series continues to shine.
  97. Dec 10, 2013
    Surpassed my expectations. I was expecting the game to be good, but not a masterpiece. The game is so much fun, and it surprises you often with new challenges and present new strategies that affect all game.

The story is nice, with good cut scenes and effects.
    The graphics are amazing. After start playing I started to realize that, those graphics are the true potential of 3DS games,
    and I hope new games of similar quality continue coming out for 3DS. The 3D is used a lot, and I cannot play without the 3D on for a long while. It just looks so cool I can't turn it off.
    The music and effects are well made, but not a masterpiece as Ocarina of Time. Some of the new musics can become kind of annoying after a while, but overall, both music and sounds are great.
    What made me sad about this game is that after one of the coolest parts, the other parts become so easy. I have beaten some entire areas in 30 minutes or so. (I am saying parts to not give spoilers)
  98. Dec 15, 2013
    Totally exceeded my expectations. Nostalgia goggles aside, this is easily one of the best Zeldas if not THE best. The music is fantastic and just as memorable as any of your favorite Zelda tunes. The 3D and 60fps looks amazing. The gameplay is simple and shows a focus on good puzzles. The game doesn't hold your hand at all. The puzzles are new and will provide a challenge and there is more than one way to solve them. Expand
  99. Dec 23, 2013
    The Game is perfect, but, i think is too short. I need more dungeons, All dungeons are very well made​​, challenging and at the same time are not impossible to be made​​. For me the game lacked only be last longer.
  100. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can remember playing the original A Link to the Past on the Super Nintendo years ago. And while my memories from the original can never be replicated, this newest rendition will produce many additional enjoyable moments. If you have been attempting to find an explanation (or excuse) to purchase a 3DS or 2DS, THIS GAME ALONE IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD AND IS REASON ENOUGH TO BUY A 2DS OR 3DS!!

I have been amazed at how the game can play tricks visually, even without the use of the 3D depth slider. The merge ability is a great twist on the gameplay, and for anyone who has played the Paper Mario series, you should easily transition into this method. And just when you think you have explored most of the new areas, the game leads you into other new areas to explore.

I have only finished the first palace, but can tell that I will be hooked until the very end.
  101. Nov 23, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2014
    A very good action RPG in a sandbox-like Hyrule. The game features a redefined equipment progression along with the nice flattening trick. It's a bit on the easy side, though. [Dec 2013]
  2. Feb 6, 2014
    A Link Between Worlds is a Zelda for people who have become disillusioned with Zelda over the years. It recalls the series' roots while also taking unique advantage of the 3DS hardware to create something that feels new. They may not make them exactly like they used to anymore, but Link Between Worlds shows that they still recognize what made them great in the first place.
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    Much is the same in A Link Between Worlds. Just like in A Link to the Past you follow Link from a birds-eye perspective in both light and dark worlds. But A Link Between Worlds is not merely a simple game of nostalgia but one that perfectly blends the new and old Zelda games. The result is one of the best games in the series.