9.0

1. Mar 29, 2014
    I would like to go out on a limb here and say that alongside OoT 3D, this is the best 3DS title released to date. I was glad they finally made a LttP sequel, and it's awesome. The 3D effects in this game are really great and only add to the beautiful environments, characters, etc. The dungeons are challenging enough to give you a good head scratching, and the game is decently long, like aI would like to go out on a limb here and say that alongside OoT 3D, this is the best 3DS title released to date. I was glad they finally made a LttP sequel, and it's awesome. The 3D effects in this game are really great and only add to the beautiful environments, characters, etc. The dungeons are challenging enough to give you a good head scratching, and the game is decently long, like a Zelda game should be. 10/10 Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2014
    The newest entry in the Legend of Zelda world, a direct sequel to A Link to the Past, has the exact same story as A Link to the Past, but it has amazing gameplay. The renting system provides a good challenge, and the new flipping mechanic is really innovative and fun to use. The dungeons are especially fun to play. Despite all these good points, the story doesn't bring anything new to theThe newest entry in the Legend of Zelda world, a direct sequel to A Link to the Past, has the exact same story as A Link to the Past, but it has amazing gameplay. The renting system provides a good challenge, and the new flipping mechanic is really innovative and fun to use. The dungeons are especially fun to play. Despite all these good points, the story doesn't bring anything new to the franchise, and the game is extremely short. I still recommend fans of the franchise and newcomers to play this nice new entry. Expand
  3. May 17, 2014
    A Link Between Worlds is everything that a sequel to A Link to The Past should be. It's charming and will make those who played the original feel nostalgic but it's more than just a redo. The new mechanic that allows you to turn into a painting is innovative and really serves to open up the gameplay. The gameworld is beautifully designed both Hyrule and Lorule. The story is one of the bestA Link Between Worlds is everything that a sequel to A Link to The Past should be. It's charming and will make those who played the original feel nostalgic but it's more than just a redo. The new mechanic that allows you to turn into a painting is innovative and really serves to open up the gameplay. The gameworld is beautifully designed both Hyrule and Lorule. The story is one of the best of any Zelda titles and the characters are memorable and well written. This game should not be missed by any Zelda fan. Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game and is one of my favorite 3DS games right now. If you are looking for a fun traditional bird-eye view Zelda game from more recent times, you really need to check out this game. It has great 2.5D graphics and fun and classic Zelda gameplay that will make old school video game veterans smile. It takes the world of the classicThe Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game and is one of my favorite 3DS games right now. If you are looking for a fun traditional bird-eye view Zelda game from more recent times, you really need to check out this game. It has great 2.5D graphics and fun and classic Zelda gameplay that will make old school video game veterans smile. It takes the world of the classic Zelda game from the Super Nintendo (A Link to the Past) and expands it to a great Zelda world. The story is good, it's simple when compared to other Zelda stories, but it's good. The gameplay is also very fun, it's not that challenging, but it's still a ton of fun. I also think the whole concept of using the Item shop is pretty interesting, I think I prefer the traditional way of getting items better, but this was alright, I just kind of hope they won't bring this back in later Zeldas. Another minor problem I had is if you play for "a while" (which is probably just an hour), the save post will advise you to take a break and you cannot even skip over this text! While it seems minor, it took away the experience and it may even be the reason why I am giving this game a 9/10 instead of a perfect 10/10; I strongly urge Nintendo to remove crap like this in their later games and just let us do what we want. But if you try to ignore it, you will find a Zelda game that is quite a masterpiece with it's fun gameplay and charm that will surely please Zelda fans old and new. Expand
  5. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

Concept: Improve a classic by evolving the standard formula to include some revolutionary new tweaks, and work better because of it. Far from a simple rehashing of an already known tale.

Graphics: Limited only by the system limits of the handheld device(s) it is on, ALBW has beautiful scenery and a memorable Hyrule.

Sound: Soundtrack pieces both new and old make appearances and all sound classy and classic when mixed together to provide the basis for the game’s musical score.

Playability: The dungeons are well laid out and well crafted, each boss is a perfect fit and the battles aren’t too terribly boring, though maintaining the same level of challenge as before. There is plenty of new content, and this is far from a simple graphical update of the same story we’ve been told several times over. Handles excellently. New ideas work just as well as the old ones they are side by side with.

Entertainment: Boots A Link to the Past out of the number one or two handheld Zelda adventures in my mind, and it has only been out for a short period of time. I’d say that bodes pretty well for it.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 9.0
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    An amazing new direction for zelda games to move in, but with some hiccups that naturally result from being rather different. The game feels very crisp in terms of movement and fighting, and the special items feel good to use.

In terms of the dungeons, because you don't get the special items in any particular order, instead of each dungeon sometimes having you use a previous dungeon's item as a way of adding complexity to a puzzle, each dungeon simply relies on just one particular special item and ignores the rest. I think it's a loss there, and they should have done more multi-item rooms and puzzles. As it is though, each dungeon feels sufficiently complex because of the wall-melding mechanic, and each dungeon gets you to think for a moment or two. Not too hard, but not too easy. Most of the dungeons require you to walk back over your own path at several points instead of simply clearing the whole dungeon room by room, which some folks might like or not like depending on their own style. Dungeon bosses aren't quite too hard to fight, but they do feel somewhat tense and it's pretty satisfying when you win and get that heart container.

Hyrule is almost an exact copy of the LTTP world. Lorule is almost a copy of the Dark World. It gives them a feeling of being already explored, even if you've never seen a particular area yet. Probably not a good route for them to have gone on that one. The map itself keeps a solid flow in terms of letting you get around from place to place without too much trouble. There's also weather vanes spread everywhere which are both the save points of the game and also the warp points.

The story is really standard for a zelda game, and kinda a shame at that. They use a blending of Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past's story, and you even end up in the Temple of Light after you save each princess. Natural perhaps, since it's supposed to be a sequel, but they probably could have come up with something better if they'd tried at all (I'm looking at Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask here).

Overall, it's a strong showing, and a good direction for Zelda games to turn towards. If future zelda games keep heading in this more open world metroidy direction instead of leading you by the nose all the time the series could be improved by a whole lot.
  7. Nov 24, 2013
    ok. actually 9.5
    this game is not perfect as ocarina of time or skyward sword
    but its look like a link to the past remake. its good to see that
    it has a good gameplay,with graphics very descents and a good story
    not excelent but good
  8. Jul 23, 2014
    The only thing keeping this game from a perfect score is its level of difficulty. The game is a bit too easy because of the huge amounts of rupees available that trivialize the rental system. Combine this with the relative ease of the dungeons, and the game isn't that challenging. If only one of these were a factor, the game would be perfect.

The game introduces no new items but gives

The game introduces no new items but gives the ability to turn into a painting, which makes for some interesting puzzles. The enemies are varied and all of the bosses are multistage battles that combine clever item usage and frantic sword swinging. The story ends very well and left me immensely satisfied. Basically, there is no tier of gamer I couldn't recommend this game to- it's easy enough for almost anyone but fun enough that even expert players will enjoy it.
  9. Dec 21, 2013
    Every time a new Legend of Zelda game comes out, it once again raises the bar for what fans have come to expect. It’s a series that has very rarely delivered anything below a fantastic experience. But for all series, a time comes when it must change. A link between worlds has done just that. The latest entry has similarities to a link to the past, but it’s full of innovation and surprise.Every time a new Legend of Zelda game comes out, it once again raises the bar for what fans have come to expect. It’s a series that has very rarely delivered anything below a fantastic experience. But for all series, a time comes when it must change. A link between worlds has done just that. The latest entry has similarities to a link to the past, but it’s full of innovation and surprise.
    The one thing that disappoints here is the story, which is bland, boring and very functional. After Skyward Sword’s fantastic plot and characters, I can’t understand why the story here is as thin as toilet paper.
    Fortunately, everything else is near-perfect. The graphic style is immaculate, making ALBW the best-looking 3DS game of 2013. All areas of Hyrule and Lorule are gorgeously presented. I strongly advise to play with 3D on as the visuals are not so much enhanced as completely different with it on. Yes, this is a 2D Zelda, but 3D really does make a huge difference. The music is of equal quality, with a mixture of remixes of previous tunes and new ones. All the music and sound effects here are to a very high standard.
    But ALBW’s greatest triumph is how it ditches the usual Zelda structure. There are still dungeons full of puzzles and combat, but instead of going to the dungeon, getting its item, using the item then defeating the dungeon boss, now all the items are available from the start in a shop. This means that you can get any item you want, if you have the rupees, right from the get-go. It also means that in the second half of the game you can tackle dungeons in any order you want. This is a brilliant idea for a number of reasons, for example it gives more reason to collecting rupees so you will never be disappointed if you find them in a chest: over my playthrough; I used over 10,000 altogether. However there is one flaw- the dungeons you choose to do later are as a result considerably easier and though all are well-designed, with challenging puzzles and enemies, you will find the later ones easier. A hard mode unlockable after completeing the game normally does add challenge as enemies do 4 times the damage.
    Dungeons do have one inconsistency, and that’s the boss battles. Zelda is known for its outstanding bosses, but ALBW’s bosses are mostly easy and unmemorable, save a few.
    But largely, ALBW throws away what had gworn stale in the franchise, but it brings back something that was missing in the last few titles: the exploration. Hyrule is full of secrets, and the more you explore, the more you uncover. Finding pieces of heart and other items requires clever thinking and as well as that a lot of exploration of Hyrule and its dark opposite, Lorule. The more you explore, the more you find and as a result, the exploration of the kingdom is unpredictable and it always feels as if you are finding something new, something unprecedented. There are not so many side quests at all, which is very different, but there don’t need to be: the kingdom of Hyrule has it all.
    One addition to the game which deserves a mention is the ability to become a painting and then move left and right in the wall. It doesn’t sound like it adds much, but for me this was what really settled ALBW as an excellent game. It adds a new dimension to the puzzles and it makes exploring Hyrule even more fun.
    A Link between Worlds is a Zelda that does so much to the series. It completely reinvents the franchise and it never stops giving. At round about 20 hours from start to finish, it certainly isn’t the longest Zelda, but the amount of countryside there is to explore adds on so much more to that length of time. Finding every single secret will take much longer.
  10. Jan 6, 2014
    As much as The Legend of Zelda is among my favorite gaming franchises, I’ll be the first one to admit it needed a makeover. Somewhere along the way things became stagnant, and while new games were still excellent, they lacked that sense of wonder present in the best entries of the series, such as the recently remade Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and, yes, A Link to the Past. Zelda neededAs much as The Legend of Zelda is among my favorite gaming franchises, I’ll be the first one to admit it needed a makeover. Somewhere along the way things became stagnant, and while new games were still excellent, they lacked that sense of wonder present in the best entries of the series, such as the recently remade Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and, yes, A Link to the Past. Zelda needed another game changer, and I am overjoyed to say that A Link Between Worlds is the real deal.

As you're probably aware, the game is a direct sequel to SNES's A Link to the Past, and as such retains the overhead perspective (but with improved graphics). It works just as well as it did back then, giving the game a sense of simplicity that can often be lost in more sprawling third-person adventures. This is one of A Link between Worlds' greatest triumphs: it's a tight game where nothing takes too long to do, making it just about perfect for a handheld platform. Of course, this also means that it's closer in length to previous handheld Zeldas like Oracle of Seasons or Link's Awakening; it took me a little less than 30 hours to finish it with every last collectible, compared to the 50 plus hours I recently spent in Wind Waker HD. The game is so perfectly crafted, however, that those 30 hours really counted.

The main "gimmick" in display is Link's ability to turn into a painting. This allows you to switch from the overhead perspective to sidescrolling sections. At this point I am utterly convinced that this might just be the greatest mechanic ever in any Zelda game. It is astonishing just how clever the implementation was, allowing you to do so much more than would be ordinarily possible in a game like this.

Another big hit is the new way of getting weapons. Now, you rent (and later buy) them from a new character named Ravio. This allows you to tackle dungeons in whichever order you choose, which gives the game an incredible sense of freedom. If you're worried about losing that awesome "finally-finding-a-new-weapon" moment in the game's dungeons, worry no more: there are still unique items to be found in each of them, making the switch one with absolutely no downsides. Furthermore, after you finally buy a weapon, you have a way of upgrading it: just collect a bunch of maimai babies (little crustacean creatures cleverly hidden throughout the game's world) and take them to their mother. A set of 10 maimai allows the mother to upgrade a weapon of your choice, with a nice reward if you manage to collect all 99 of them.

And then there's the story. It starts out fairly by-the-numbers, but rest assured you'll have a few oh-my-goodness moments until the very end. It is clever and endearing, and will likely go down as one of the series' best.

Not only is A Link Between Worlds a great game in its own right, it's also insanely exciting as a foreshadowing for things to come in future Zelda entries. They're finally breaking some pretty hard-set conventions, and the result is absolutely gorgeous.
  11. Dec 27, 2013
    Nintendo shows that they still know what they're doing. I loved a Link to the Past, and this modernization of the game works just as well. I was enthralled by the stretches of Hyrule, and the Dark World, now called Lorule. Nostalgia made sweet impact as familiar music and areas hit.

I appreciate that the game is fast-paced and more action oriented, and it provides a great classic feel. What's also great is being able to rent every item you could possibly need. It's great to just jump right into the action with reckless abandon.

The game's story is also quite a bit different. The ending was also quite atypical from most Zelda games, and I enjoyed watching it unfold throughout the adventure.

Although the game managed to replicate the old school feel, it didn't replicate the old school challenge. This might just be the easiest Zelda game to date, even easier than Wind Waker. I understand the reasoning because of how open the world was. The game's later dungeons are all accessible at once, so it would be unfair for someone whose new to enter a ridiculous dungeon, but I love digging through enormous dungeons. Some veterans may even finish the game in 10 or so hours. There is hero mode, but considering how easy it was, it would've been nice to have the option right off the bat.

Still, it's a great game, especially for newcomers and those who might be intimidated by the series.
  12. Oct 20, 2014
    I only got this game b/c it came with my badass-golden-Triforce-painted 3DS XL, which is the version I bought. Only just now got around to playing it and am incredibly surprised by how much I like it.

I should start by saying I have never been a Zelda fan. In fact, I have yet to complete any Zelda game I have ever started. LBW could be the first, though. It is very accessible, easy to navigate and addictive. So many times I have been about to turn it off but will think, “Just one more dungeon…” The last game I tried to get through was the 3DS version of Ocarina of time. While that is a fine game, I much prefer LBW’s top-down SNES-like view for a handheld system.

And while dismissed as a mere gimmick by some, the pop in & out of a drawing ability is unique and adds an extra layer to puzzles. Plus it is animated in a very cool way. I also like how pretty much all of the items are available to rent right off the bat (and can later be purchased at a much higher price). This limits the amount of backtracking you’ll have to do and also gives you an extra incentive to not die: you can choose to continue rather than reload the last save, but will have to give back all rented items & pay for them again.

Story is, as usual, the weakest part. Nothing too special going on which you haven’t seen in a previous Zelda title. Also, the 3D effects are under-utilized. Most times it only adds depth and you’ll notice very little difference when switching the 3D mode off. What can I say? I’m a sucker for stuff popping out of the screen.

Overall, this is a solid title that will appeal to any 3DS owner. It’s a must-play title for the system.
  13. Dec 20, 2013
    absolute zelda perfection. i done know how anyone could give this game a negative rating (unless they were trolls which is likely)

zelda fans, zelda newcomers....you are buying a modern classic. dont let this one pass you by.
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    A long time Zelda fan's review on ALBW:

- Presentation: 9/10 Technically speaking ALBW is a milestone. 60 fps and a beautiful 3D world with very nice cutscenes make it the prettiest 3DS game. What did annoy me is that it uses an art style similar to Skyward Sword and the Wind Waker. Cartooney metro-sexual characters don't belong in the world of ALttP yet Aonuma did it again. The
    A long time Zelda fan's review on ALBW:

- Presentation: 9/10
    The music in ALBW is excellent. It offers a few new good Zelda tracks but it mostly relies on classic Zelda tunes, mainly from ALttP.

- Gameplay: 9/10
    ALBW comes with some twists in the gameplay department. A new item system and merging into walls gives the player much more freedom. This is the most open world Zelda since the first installment, which is a good thing after Skyward Sword's obstructive linearity. Although it's pretty much the same overworld as ALttP, due to these new gameplay elements it still feels fresh.
    The puzzle difficulty and combat isn't too hard in ALBW, but for newcomers to the franchise it will provide a good challenge. The dungeons are excellent albeit a bit short.
    The story is surprisingly elaborate for a handheld Zelda game. In fact the whole production value is on a console level.

- Verdict:
    It's like what Twilight Princess was to Ocarina of Time: an excellent nostalgic Zelda. But ALBW just does a bit more to make it a standalone classic and not a rip-off.
    + high quality graphics, music and story
    + fun traditional open world Zelda
    + new gameplay mechanics make it fresh
    - childish and slightly out of place art design.

Perhaps the best handheld Zelda. 9/10
  15. Nov 27, 2013
    i haven't played my 3ds in a really long time but i had to get this game when it came out. i've been really pleased! i'm a sucker for pretty much every zelda game, and this one is set in Link To The Past, which is one of those really, really good oldschool ones.
  16. Nov 26, 2013
    This is the sequel to the greatest game of all time I had high expectations, but somehow this game exceeded them! I highly recommend this game for any fan of video games you will love it! 10/10
  17. Nov 22, 2013
    You see every time I start up a new file on a Zelda game I get this strange and magical feeling. It’s the anticipation of a new world to explore, it’s knowing that the next couple weeks or months of my life is going to be spent playing in this worl--I mean, game. But most of all it’s knowing that I am going to get so lost in Hyrule that it takes over my life and I might even end upYou see every time I start up a new file on a Zelda game I get this strange and magical feeling. It’s the anticipation of a new world to explore, it’s knowing that the next couple weeks or months of my life is going to be spent playing in this worl--I mean, game. But most of all it’s knowing that I am going to get so lost in Hyrule that it takes over my life and I might even end up breaking the flower pots in my backyard just to check for rupees. This was certainly the case with this game as well and its a EXTREMELY well done entry in the LoZ series and a near perfect game in my opinion. Dat Soundtrack!! Expand
  18. Dec 5, 2013
    Do you remember the first time you played "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past"? Do you remember the very first time you experienced "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"? Are you like me, and first played those games when you were a kid, and it's been so long you only just barely recall that feeling? I felt it again with "The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds". It is one ofDo you remember the first time you played "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past"? Do you remember the very first time you experienced "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"? Are you like me, and first played those games when you were a kid, and it's been so long you only just barely recall that feeling? I felt it again with "The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds". It is one of the most satisfying, enjoyable, can't-put-it-down games I've played in a long time. If you like "Zelda" games, you will love this. If you've never played a "Zelda" game, this is a great place to start. A must-buy for every 3DS owner. Expand
  19. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very solid workman like entry in the Zelda series. A Link Between Worlds does nothing to irritate the player. It won't bore you with endless talking or interrupt your fun with monotonous cutscenes. Nor will it frustrate you with gimmicky control schemes. ALBW just let's you get on and play. Sensible design choices are made throughout, controls are tight and responsive. Being able to turn into a 2D drawing is an inspired gameplay mechanic which adds new dimensions to the games puzzles and exploration.

In theory it's the perfect Zelda game but there's no mistaking the undeniable stench of over familiarity. Dungeons feel indistinct. The art style is needlessly childish and in a post Dark Souls gaming landscape the low difficulty and lack of punishment means boss fights lack drama.
  20. Dec 5, 2013
    A great follow up to 'A Link To The Past'. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard with mixes from previous Zeldas and completely original new pieces. The graphics are also great and stay true to A Link To The Past's style, but also updates it and makes it fresh. The dungeons are also brilliant with some of the best puzzles in any game.
  21. Feb 17, 2014
    the best zelda game. it may be very easy but i can let this slide since everything else about this game is great. no story that drags on or constant handholding like the last couple zelda games. the open ended structure of the game is also something i really like and searching the world for all the collectibles is very addicting and rewarding. the music and graphics are also quite good.
  22. Jan 17, 2014
    As a huge Zelda fan, it is with a heavy heart that I must admit that I did not find the joy it seems that everyone else is finding in A Link Between Worlds.

To be blunt - the term copy and past is one that is thrown around frequently with the Zelda games, and it is a term that I would defend the games against. However, I have never felt so cheated as I have with this instalment in the long running franchise.
    At least with Ocarina of Time 3D a few years ago, Nintendo had the decency of calling it what it was - a facelift. A far prettier version of the original. But the fact that one of the most beloved faces in the gaming industry would have the audacity to try and spin A Link Between Worlds as a new game, well, those people are what I like to call criminals.
    The game (labeled as a sequel to the much praised SNES classic A Link to The Past), is a direct rip off of the aforementioned. Even saying it has better graphics would be an insult to how astonishing ALTTP was for it's time. This is an UGLY game. The gameplay is so hard to come to terms with, considering the ground breaking lengths that the series has gone to to ensure that each instalment stays fresh and interesting, the gameplay just feels stale. Like it was dragged out of an age old cupboard, slightly dusted off and then tacked into the game.
    The map is IDENTICAL to the one featured in ALTTP, and this is one of things that really bothers me. A direct sequel? Sure. But how do you expect anyone to take such a statement seriously when there are NO NEW IDEAS on display? Well, I suppose that's not entirely true, you can in fact, now rent any item, such as the Bow or the Hookshot right from the beginning of the game. But this just takes any joy or sense of discovery and reward out of bland and simplistic dungeons.

This is, above all else, a crowd pleaser. Something to quell the populous while they complain about how there hasn't been a Majora's Mask 3D yet, or that there is not a new Zelda game on the Wii U. It appeals to those who need their fix of daily nostalgia, and it appeals to those who are either too young or too ignorant to know how ALTTP changed the gaming world when it was released.
    A Link Between Worlds is one of the weakest Zelda titles ever released, and it actually pains me to see it put side by side with some of the amazing titles this year, and to hear it called the best Zelda game ever made.

A 4 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  23. Dec 20, 2013
    The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is an amazing game given that its on the 3DS. It brings on all the greatness of the Link To The Past without being an anachronism. It also brings back what is missing today and that is the single player experience which means having a great story.
  24. Jan 9, 2014
    The ability to warp into a moving portrait initially concerned me, but it works flawlessly. The original SNES title is my favorite game. A Link Between Worlds takes the original and improves upon it in every way. The overworld is enjoyable to explore. The dungeons meet the expectation set by the franchise. The combat is as fun as ever. The new weapon system shouldn't worry anyone as it isThe ability to warp into a moving portrait initially concerned me, but it works flawlessly. The original SNES title is my favorite game. A Link Between Worlds takes the original and improves upon it in every way. The overworld is enjoyable to explore. The dungeons meet the expectation set by the franchise. The combat is as fun as ever. The new weapon system shouldn't worry anyone as it is implemented very well and allows the gamer to choose which dungeon to explore. A Link Between Worlds is so good that it's worth purchasing a 3ds for. Expand
  25. Nov 22, 2013
    After all these years, the legendary Zelda series still has things to show.
    Aonuma did great things with this game and A Link Between Worlds feels absolutely amazing.
    I first hated the art style when I first saw it in trailers, but on a 3DS screen, it just looks colorful and beautiful. The only negative thing about it would be its difficulty. The game is pretty easy, but the puzzles and
    After all these years, the legendary Zelda series still has things to show.
    The only negative thing about it would be its difficulty. The game is pretty easy, but the puzzles and dungeons are just great.
    A fantastic game, Aonuma still got it guys.
  26. Jun 23, 2014
    Link Between Worlds manages to leave nothing behind from 1991's Link To The Past, while standing on its own achievements during Nintendo's near-campaign to rediscover their roots. Intelligent and polished, content is delivered in the right amounts with few issues- seamlessly elevating the classic formula to the 3DS' prowess. It's hard to find a mistake in this Hyrule.
  27. May 21, 2014
    Good game ,short story only last for 30hrs play time if you only play only a difficulty...
    I would recommend this game to you, the graphic won't be so bad as you thought after you play the game.
  28. Nov 25, 2013
    Already excited for future iterations or games that have similar mechanics to this. Agreed with a few that it could be a bit harder. I think anyone who has never played A Link to the Past, this may be a bit harder for them, but any of us old schoolers, definitely will feel a bit easy at times. Otherwise, classic game and excited for the future.
  29. Apr 3, 2014
    Of all of Nintendo's game series', The Legend of Zelda is by far the most deep and rewarding. Almost every TLOZ game has been praised for incredible sense of exploration and combat, with memorable settings, songs, and characters. Having never played a TLOZ game prior to this, I went in with very high expectations. I was both disappointed and amazed. The game certainly has the charm,Of all of Nintendo's game series', The Legend of Zelda is by far the most deep and rewarding. Almost every TLOZ game has been praised for incredible sense of exploration and combat, with memorable settings, songs, and characters. Having never played a TLOZ game prior to this, I went in with very high expectations. I was both disappointed and amazed. The game certainly has the charm, combat, and exploration the series is known for, but the good somewhat stops there. The saying 'quality over quantity' is almost always true, but Nintendo seriously threw quantity out the window. I completed the game to 100% (excluding online accomplishments) in under 30 hours. Bear in mind that it includes finding every heart, item, and collectible 'myaimai' (something along those lines).
    Pros: - Combat (A link Between Worlds has, for the most part, the awesome medieval and fantastical combat of the past Zelda games. I wish there would've been a few more items and/or weapons, however)
    - Exploration (There's plenty to look for on the two world maps, and you are usually rewarded with a nice item or collectible)
    - Bosses (All the bosses are fair, and present a good challenge. Beating them is rewarding in itself, but you also gain a heart upgrade)
    Cons: - Content (This is the biggest con of the game. As I said, I completed the game to the whole in under 30 hours. The game's content in very sub-par compared to past TLOZ games. There aren't many collectibles, minigames, items, or weapons)
    - Music (Don't get me wrong, the music is fine, and this won't affect my rating, but the music is not nearly on the same level of past games such as Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time. I definitely missed the impactful soundtrack of those games)
    Overall, the game is great for a first time run. You're gonna like the game while it lasts, maybe even love it, but the 40$ price tag is far too much for the amount of content and replayability it presents. If you're a TLOZ fan, then maybe borrow it from a friend.
  30. Apr 26, 2014
    One of my favorite Zelda games. It's the perfect length for what it does and the presentation is top notch especially for a portable system. (Portables sure have come a long way, huh?) This is a really fun puzzle-dungeon game to pick and play whenever you want. It's so easy to jump into and play. And if you find it easy, you can change the difficulty upon beating it the first time, and theOne of my favorite Zelda games. It's the perfect length for what it does and the presentation is top notch especially for a portable system. (Portables sure have come a long way, huh?) This is a really fun puzzle-dungeon game to pick and play whenever you want. It's so easy to jump into and play. And if you find it easy, you can change the difficulty upon beating it the first time, and the game is highly replayable because you can do the dungeons in any order you want! You can get all the way up to the boss fight in one dungeon then up and decide to do a different one.

My problems: Why oh why can't you skip or fast forward through the cutscenes? Why can't you just save anywhere? You can buy things that let you leave the dungeons immediately and you can warp to save points from anywhere on the overworld, but it'd just be better to save anywhere! I don't get why PORTABLE games should have arbitrary save points. This game also uses pretty much the same overworld map as A Link to The Past...but I've never played that game, and I don't find that being familiar with it is necessary at all.
  31. Dec 4, 2013
    First off, this is indeed a good game it would be unfair to immediately compare it to other titles in the franchise. On its own it's a solid 8/10. However as part of the Zelda franchise maybe it's because my previous experience was with Ocarina of Time 3D, but this new title falls horribly flat. OOT had this charm about it that even when you were stuck, you'd have something else to catchFirst off, this is indeed a good game it would be unfair to immediately compare it to other titles in the franchise. On its own it's a solid 8/10. However as part of the Zelda franchise maybe it's because my previous experience was with Ocarina of Time 3D, but this new title falls horribly flat. OOT had this charm about it that even when you were stuck, you'd have something else to catch up on, another attainable goal, something to kill time with until you figure out the next roadblock.

This new title is tedious all the way. When you're about to enter another dungeon and yet again notice there's this damn skill or item you didn't get yet, and have to scoot your butt across the damn map to get what's missing, or have to question every bloody NPC in a mile round radius to get your next damn clue, it's not fun anymore, it's like a chore. It's like homework.

You'll get your moments where the game does this less and becomes Zelda again for example when you embark successfully on a dungeon, things get cool. But as soon as you walk back out those doors... oh boy.

This one seemed to work for those who play the whole game in one sitting. I don't game like that. That's why I have a portable. I play in 15-30 minute bursts about 7-10 times a week. It's the time I have. This game's flow makes it virtually impossible to get on a roll at that pace, an sort of requires me to pull off a whole hour in one sitting... which shows something's wrong with the game.

Disappointed in this title big time. Also it looks like it's been wildly overrated even before its launch.

A really frustrating thing I'm told by ones who raved about this game: "So do like in the original and go there..." I didn't play the original. Was this game only designed for those who finished the SNES version? Really... and no, it doesn't feel like I'm exploring something new even without having played the SNES one. It just feels tedious and I wanna finish things as quickly as possible to get some fun playtime again in a dungeon.
  32. Mar 17, 2014
    A Link Between Worlds is fast paced, straight to the point with its delivery. No boring tutorial, no excessive story telling, yet there are still memorable characters and moments. Controls are simple and easy, boss fights are fast paced and hero's mode presents a decent challenge. The game lacks in its story, however, such as how basically nothing happens between dungeons(in other recentA Link Between Worlds is fast paced, straight to the point with its delivery. No boring tutorial, no excessive story telling, yet there are still memorable characters and moments. Controls are simple and easy, boss fights are fast paced and hero's mode presents a decent challenge. The game lacks in its story, however, such as how basically nothing happens between dungeons(in other recent Zelda titles, there would be a bit of story development between every dungeon). Top down perspective also make the game less appealing visually, which is disappointing since its a game for a 3DS. Not the perfect game, but a must own never the less. Expand
  33. Mar 17, 2014
    A great game in every sense. In my opinion, a superior game to A Link to the Past in almost every way. With that said, now the flaws of the game. The best way to describe ALBW is that its a roller coaster ride: from beginning to end, it's a terrific and comfortable experience with thrills at every corner. You'll have a smile on your face for every minute of this thrill-ride. But that'sA great game in every sense. In my opinion, a superior game to A Link to the Past in almost every way. With that said, now the flaws of the game. The best way to describe ALBW is that its a roller coaster ride: from beginning to end, it's a terrific and comfortable experience with thrills at every corner. You'll have a smile on your face for every minute of this thrill-ride. But that's where the problem comes in: it's a thrill and nothing more, and a quick thrill at that. There's no denying I had fun with the ingenious dungeon design, fun-to-solve puzzles, intense boss fights and intriguing plot, but while playing the game I never felt challenged. This was mainly due to the weak exploration: the secrets are rather easy to discover and vast amounts of Rupees are practically handed to you. It's almost as if Nintendo wanted me to have the least frustrating experience possible, but it hurt the immersion. Unlike other Zeldas, I didn't feel like I was embarking on an adventure; I felt like I was playing a game and that's it.

I also felt the art direction, while unique, wasn't all that interesting and even at times unpleasant to look at. But its soundtrack, while similar to ALttP, is great, my favorite being Lorule's Death Mountain theme.

The game's story also shines as you're essentially meeting characters that live in a hopeless world: a world without a Triforce. It's a fascinating concept, and while it gave a very satisfactory ending, I do wish that the game went more than just knee-deep into the plot.

Overall, I suppose the biggest complaint I have with ALBW is that it is non-stop action: you are always doing something. The problem is that the game never gives itself a chance to breathe and to let you take in your surroundings in order to immerse you into the game's world.

While I wasn't blown away by the game, rest assured I had a great time with it. The Zelda series continues to shine.
  34. Ogr
    Dec 2, 2013
    I am back in Hyrule! The real Hyrule, that I discovered first at the age of 8. It feels so great to be back in the same world that started my love for those kind of games. I like the open world feeling, new skills of Link and the 3D graphics, but on top of all of this is the retro feeling. I'm sure that A Link Between Worlds is a good Zelda for every gamer out there, but a 100% must haveI am back in Hyrule! The real Hyrule, that I discovered first at the age of 8. It feels so great to be back in the same world that started my love for those kind of games. I like the open world feeling, new skills of Link and the 3D graphics, but on top of all of this is the retro feeling. I'm sure that A Link Between Worlds is a good Zelda for every gamer out there, but a 100% must have for everyone who liked A Link To The Past.

Thank You Nintendo, you are back on track again.
  35. Nov 24, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece on the 3DS. Nintendo really created a sequel to "A Link to the Past", featuring the old map but new features, most specifically the Merging Ring. The idea to make every item available to rent/purchase is very creative, making me think twice before spending my Rupees. The new villain is superb, and a fresh idea instead of always having Ganon as the main antagonist inTruly a masterpiece on the 3DS. Nintendo really created a sequel to "A Link to the Past", featuring the old map but new features, most specifically the Merging Ring. The idea to make every item available to rent/purchase is very creative, making me think twice before spending my Rupees. The new villain is superb, and a fresh idea instead of always having Ganon as the main antagonist in every title. This game is truly amazing, and one of the best titles the 3DS has to offer. Expand
  36. Feb 7, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is, at its core, a sequel to the much older A Link to the Past. The map has all the familiarity of the old game but with much updated graphics. To say its a simple copy and paste job is inaccurate as there are still quite a bit of changes to the game.

The story starts out as the typical LoZ game does, with a young man named Link who is a bit lazy and yet has a great destiny ahead of him. The bad guy does bad stuff and Link must stop him and save Hyrule. The difference is that you are also able to transport to another world called Lorule. Traveling between the two worlds is essentially for completing certain puzzles and plays a large role in the story.

The gameplay is pretty standard. Boss fights are pretty simplistic and even on its hardest difficulty (unlocked after beating the game) its still pretty easy. There is quite a bit more emphasis on exploration than in past games since you don't really need to complete any of the dungeons in any particular order. The game doesn't seem to feel the need to rush you through the story so you can set your own pace. For example, I spent many mores hours on the game than required because I wanted to do as many of the side quests as I could stand. At the end of the game, I had all the best gear and as many heartpieces as you could get.

To summarize, this is a great game for LoZ fans. Its relatively tame manner and simplistic gameplay make it playable by even the most inexperienced video game player. It falls a bit short in that there isn't a whole lot of variety to it as there was in past games. Also its incredible easy so those who are looking for a challenge may wish to hurry through the game.
  37. Jan 2, 2014
    As someone who considers a Link to the Past to be the best Zelda game of all time (incidentally also the first I remember playing), I was excited to hear about a remake; even moreso when it was announced that it would be a sequel.

Now that I've played it, I can say it's even better than my high expectations made it seem. With gorgeous graphics, brilliantly placed 3D, nostalgic gameplay, and a surprisingly intriguing story (albeit most of the twists were near the end), any video game fan not just fans of Zelda would be stupid not to pass up such a modern masterpiece.
  38. Jun 20, 2014
    Its a Legend of Zelda game. You know its going to be good. But this is the best fricken Zelda game we have had in 15 years! I love the feeling of an actual classic Zelda. The gameplay is amazing and I love how all the items are available to you very quickly. The sidequests feel so natural and since A Link to the Past was my favorite Zelda game, I can easily say that this one did notIts a Legend of Zelda game. You know its going to be good. But this is the best fricken Zelda game we have had in 15 years! I love the feeling of an actual classic Zelda. The gameplay is amazing and I love how all the items are available to you very quickly. The sidequests feel so natural and since A Link to the Past was my favorite Zelda game, I can easily say that this one did not disappoint. Oh man. This game is the best and it is my Favorite Zelda game up to date.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds gets a 10/10
  39. Mar 16, 2014
    Definitely a great game. Not perfect like everyone makes it out to be, but still an outstanding handheld title. Despite using most of the Link to the Past elements, it truly does feel like an enhanced version of the game without rehashing too much. The difficulty is fairly light (actually harder early on then gets easier), but that doesn't make it a bad game by any means. If you enjoy theDefinitely a great game. Not perfect like everyone makes it out to be, but still an outstanding handheld title. Despite using most of the Link to the Past elements, it truly does feel like an enhanced version of the game without rehashing too much. The difficulty is fairly light (actually harder early on then gets easier), but that doesn't make it a bad game by any means. If you enjoy the action-adventure known as LoZ, I highly recommend picking this one up. One of the very few good games that exist on the 3DS. Expand
  40. Apr 1, 2014
    Went into this game not expecting much, but after constant hours, I can clearly say that I loved playing this game. Never was a fan of A Link To The Past but this game is amazing. The story is great, the variety of weapons & items to collect, to just being overall addicting. The Zelda series has another gem to the collection.
  41. Feb 17, 2014
    LBW is an example of a gamers dream. Nintendo has the strongest franchises for nostalgia. LBW hits those notes perfectly in every way. All gamers wish their childhood game would be brought back to life in stunning graphics and game play. LBW does EXACTLY that. Zelda are blessed to be one of the few to experience this emotion.

This is what I notice in JUST the first 5 minutes of

This is what I notice in JUST the first 5 minutes of playing.

+ Great sound track
    + 60 Frames per second - looks smooth
    + Great animations
    + Polish smooth game play
    + and 3D that doesn't hurt to look at it.

Here's what I experience as playing.

Nintendo takes an old classic and shows that this game has aged very well. It has the same lay out from the SNES version so fans will easily recognize where to go. The quickly throws you straight into the action. This time updating old ideas. Instead of slowly progressing and unlocking items, you are able to rent / buy items to use in the game. Of coarse their are plenty of new ones for old fans to fall in love with.
    ----

The plat forming, level design, and dungeons are ALL well thought out. The game difficulty is easy enough to pick up and play but the concepts of navigating through puzzles show why this is ONE of the best franchise to date.

Once you start to realize how creative the levels are, you quickly understand why this game is praised so highly. Even the dungeons early on require you to use 3-4 of the different items , and mechanics to really explore every corner of the game. From hovering around with the use of the tornado stick, to bouncing on plat forms from your giant hammer, to sneaky in out of cracks with the new ability to glue yourself to the wall, this game has it all and it's a must for 3DS owners.
  42. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this game. I have been a huge fan of zelda since the age of 9 and have loved every single game of zelda that I have played to date.
    The only thing keeping this from a 10, is the lower difficulty and how easy you acquire the items.
    Dungeons were quite simple and there wasn't a skill jump as you can pretty much enter them in any order you like and challenges can seem quite set up and linear.
    Majority of items acquired are simply bought instead of earned which takes away the satisfaction of progressing through the game.
    These cons however do not make the game unplayable.
    - The story is great
    - gameplay is solid
    - Age friendly. Still has a few challenging moments and puzzles for all ages.
    - music...wow
    - still a long game especially for a portable game
    - nostalgic like you won't believe (plenty of A link to the past and Ocarina of Time story references)
    - still magical like all of the other titles have been

Overall Nintendo have done a fantastic job with this one.
    Zelda fans will be able to adapt to the flaws and will definately enjoy the pro's this game has to offer.
    It is a must own for the 3DS hands down.
  43. Nov 25, 2013
    I don't typically write many game reviews. I bought this game with a few other titles, some for the ps4 and new super Mario 3d world. All of these games were great but a link between worlds was something special. I was expecting to play it for a few minutes get the jist of it and move on but all of a sudden Nintendo captivated me a cliche story we've all come to grow and love but theI don't typically write many game reviews. I bought this game with a few other titles, some for the ps4 and new super Mario 3d world. All of these games were great but a link between worlds was something special. I was expecting to play it for a few minutes get the jist of it and move on but all of a sudden Nintendo captivated me a cliche story we've all come to grow and love but the humor behind it and hilarious scenarios takes Zelda to a whole new level. Without spoiling anything I'll just say not only does this game produce critical thinking but the story is by far the funniest and well written than all Zeldas before it. Even for a 3ds game this should be GOTY. I wasn't expecting much from this game and didn't care for the videos or screenshots. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this game is. If you don't have it go get it now Expand
  44. Jun 25, 2014
    I'll make this short: A Link Between Worlds is a disappointment.

even if we didn't get much time to hype it, since it was released half a month after it was unveiled. To be fair, I think the lack of development time shows. Now don't get me wrong, I encountered no glitches as I was playing through it (although I have heard about one that breaks one of the biggest side-quests in the
    I'll make this short: A Link Between Worlds is a disappointment.

Now don't get me wrong, I encountered no glitches as I was playing through it (although I have heard about one that breaks one of the biggest side-quests in the game) so playability wise there's pretty much no stains left. The game plays like a joy and you're bound to have 'fun' while playing this game, but here's where it all falls apart for me: it simply feels like it lacks soul. That's a bold statement for sure, but ALBW really lacks that recognizable "Nintendo Magic" all the other games I've played had and that can even be said about Phantom Hourglass which I didn't really enjoy.

The game is essentially half remake and half new game, so you'd be unfair not to forgive Nintendo for being a bit unoriginal here, but the way everything that has to do with story, lore and just overall interaction with this Zelda universe, is executed it just comes off feeling rather empty to my experience.

The characterization is so flat that the cast feels like they're doing roleplay when they talk. It feels like a farce.

To further comment on the story though, I'll have to mention the game's non-linearity too. I think that because the game was decided to have a completely non-linear order of which dungeon you want to tackle the amount of story-events were reduced because you can't really make a lot of actual story progression when you're just free to, say, take on what ends up being the hardest dungeon in the game as your first one or vice versa. Because of this, by the time you get to the final battle you'll be slammed in your face with story exposition, and as if, reintroduced to characters you had completely forgotten about. It comes off as an afterthought and to me, the sense of adventure which includes the narrative was always a pretty big factor in the franchise. Here it simply feels like the developers didn't care much for it, and it's also hard to take anything about the main plot seriously when the "dark world" of this game is a name-pun (Lorule... Low-rule get it, because Hyrule is high... Yeah, not very funny)

If there's one thing that I could write home about with ALBW though it's that the official soundtrack that was composed for this game is amazing. I don't know why Nintendo hasn't let Ryo Nagamatsu compose for this franchise before. The game easily tops Skyward Sword in terms of memorability, and especially the "Yuga theme" is a memorable and original composition which I quite liked.

Like I mentioned earlier there's not really any gripes with the gameplay. Dungeons are neatly designed although all of them can be beaten time-spans that amount to less than the average for a typical Zelda dungeon. Maybe it's a design decision because it's a handheld game (although I don't remember dungeons being THIS short in the GBC titles) but personally I believe it's a decision they had to make because the save system in this game is rather clumsy. Like in Skyward Sword, you can only save via bird statues that are scattered throughout the land. They also act as warp points, and they definitely make travelling seamless, but that's about the extent of their usefulness. You can't save via the start menu so you have to beat a dungeon in one go, or else you'll have to go all the way back and outside just to save at a bird statue. I think this was a bad choice on Nintendo's part because as a result I beat this game 100% with all side-content explored and all, in a mere 19 hours. I've NEVER beat a Zelda game this quick before yet alone with everything seen and done.

I think I'll conclude this by saying that while The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds plays to some of its series strenghts, it really falters on half of what usually makes a Zelda game great in my book. In the end I couldn't help but feel that this game lacked the magic that most of the other games had.

If you've always loved Zelda for just the gameplay and you don't care about the atmosphere, story, lore etc. then maybe this game will be the best Zelda you've played in years. Everything on the gameplay front is well done and fun to play, but if you're like me, you view The Legend of Zelda as an experience, and I was simply not impressed by it.
  45. Dec 8, 2013
    Never a dull moment as tedious things such as obtaining arrows and bombs from grass is removed
    + Cut-scenes are kept relevant and at a minimum with the ability to skip them
    + Great climactic finale and ending + More freedom and less linear than previous Zelda games + Enough content to complete without taking too long + Challenging Hero Mode The entire game is a masterpiece from
    + Cut-scenes are kept relevant and at a minimum with the ability to skip them
    + Great climactic finale and ending
    + More freedom and less linear than previous Zelda games
    + Enough content to complete without taking too long
    + Challenging Hero Mode
    The entire game is a masterpiece from start to finish, and it is what most games should be like, rather than the interactive movies they are today. I'm hoping that the non-linearity, the use of the energy gauge and everything else used to eliminate any boring parts will become a staple in the series from now on.
  46. Apr 18, 2014
    I absolutely LOVE this game, and I usually don't like Zelda games very much. But this game... There is actually nothing I can complain about; it's got fun bossfights, delightful graphics and even the dungeons are fun. I must recommend this to anyone who is an old Zelda fan and to newcomers.
  47. Feb 3, 2014
    Although is true that going for so much trouble solving puzzles just to get some rupees you will end up not using near the end, everything else is great. It was like going back to play the old SNES title, but better, because it's everything fresh. Elements were so classic and yet some many things new and entertaining. I am not a Zelda fan, but I like it, and I can tell you I didn't getAlthough is true that going for so much trouble solving puzzles just to get some rupees you will end up not using near the end, everything else is great. It was like going back to play the old SNES title, but better, because it's everything fresh. Elements were so classic and yet some many things new and entertaining. I am not a Zelda fan, but I like it, and I can tell you I didn't get so engages with the previous 2 or 3 titles as I was with this one :). Expand
  48. Mar 7, 2014
    I was not a Zelda fans before owning this game. Graphic wise, I could tell that there is an obvious upgrade from previous generations. Gameplay and story are pretty cool though personally I enjoy Mario more. Look forward to a new Zelda game with co-op option.
  49. Dec 1, 2014
    Terrible. Remember when chests contained something besides rupees... How about we let the play rent these items for rupees then find in the chests because that makes the game funner. So you know all the items you can get in the game from the very start removing any surprises. If you ever wanted a MMO without leveling this is it.... 4 hours long if you enjoy grinding...
  50. Jan 13, 2014
    First I want to say that this is the first Zelda game I have ever played. With that said, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Exploring every nook and cranny of Hyrule, getting every item, experiencing every event was a thrill a minute. The world is so rich and full of character and history that I was so blown away. The gameplay was also an amazing feat hacking and slashingFirst I want to say that this is the first Zelda game I have ever played. With that said, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Exploring every nook and cranny of Hyrule, getting every item, experiencing every event was a thrill a minute. The world is so rich and full of character and history that I was so blown away. The gameplay was also an amazing feat hacking and slashing away, solving puzzles, merging with the environment and traversing to dimensions is simply dumbfounding. I never knew how breathtaking a Legend of Zelda game was until I experienced. This game has launched Zelda-madness for me and I will never forget the first time I explored Hyrule. Expand
  51. Dec 25, 2013
    Easy to learn, addictive and fun. Just a few words to describe this game, one of the best zelda games ever! It is a must buy for any 3ds user and is a great game to get started in the Legend of Zelda franchise!
  52. Dec 1, 2013
    An excellent game, and it truly lives up to the franchise's reputation. In my opinion, top-down gameplay is the best way to experience The Legend of Zelda. Brought to life with beautifully simple graphics and impressive use of 3D technology, A Link Between Worlds makes for what is, in my opinion, the 3DS' best game to date.

Superior dungeon design, incredible music, nice visuals, clever

Superior dungeon design, incredible music, nice visuals, clever puzzles, and peerless gameplay contribute to this game's success. The only drawback is the slight lack of depth to the story, but the ending is more than satisfying.

All in all, one of the best Zelda games to this day, and it proves that the franchise is still at its best.

PRESENTATION: 10/10
    CORE GAME: 9/10
    VISUALS: 9.5/10
    AUDIO: 10/10
    GAMEPLAY: 10/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 9/10

Overall: 9.7/10
  53. Feb 2, 2014
    In short, this game is exactly what I expected it to be. I totally liked the game's setting and I immediately felt kind of home, since I remember many locations from Zelda - A Link to the Past.
    The game features some new elements such as the ability to become a 2-D painting and to move on walls, which allows some pretty cool riddles. Also you are free to choose, in which order to complete the dungeons. You can borrow or buy the necessary Items to solve the corresponding dungeons. As a nice hint a sign at each dungeon's entrance tells you what items you need in order to complete it.
    As a neat extra, you can play against other player's AI-controlled protagonists, that you have met via StreetPass.
    The game contains a magnificent Soundtrack. Its graphics are awesome und use the 3-D effect very well. The story was also quite good. The only things I didn't like that much is the fact that the game is way too easy. Even on the highest difficulty, the game was a piece of cake. Also, I wished the game to be a little longer.
    Still, I bought the 3DS just to buy this game, and it totally fulfilled my expectations.

So,

Graphics 10/10 (awesome use of 3D-Effect)
    Sound 10/10 (beautiful and epic)
    Story 5/10 (nothing special, nothing bad)
    Fun 9/10 (nice riddles, nice gameplay)

other: -too easy
    -could have been longer
    +features Spot Pass

Final grade: 8/10
  54. Mar 17, 2014
    I was excited to play this game, because I'm a big fan of 2D Zelda games and the idea of one on 3DS sounded awesome. Unfortunately this game offers far more nostalgia for LTTP than actual game. 1) The dungeons were fun, but they never progressed much in difficulty or length. 2) The tools sucked. Seriously they are just the tools from LTTP and 2 tools from Spirit Tracks they changed aI was excited to play this game, because I'm a big fan of 2D Zelda games and the idea of one on 3DS sounded awesome. Unfortunately this game offers far more nostalgia for LTTP than actual game. 1) The dungeons were fun, but they never progressed much in difficulty or length. 2) The tools sucked. Seriously they are just the tools from LTTP and 2 tools from Spirit Tracks they changed a little. 3) The wall thing wasn't very cool and didn't add much to dungeon puzzle solving, because it was so limited. Overall, not a bad game, but I think its not as good as other handheld Zeldas like Minish Cap or Spirit Tracks and it doesn't hold a candle to LTTP and needs to stop being so tediously derivative of it. Expand
  55. Aug 14, 2014
    the first ZELDA game i ever beat. and that's when I figured why zelda is a big name in the gaming community

Gameplay: 10 (this game is good for people around (10-99) years old
    Graphics: 10 (get inside walls and you'll get my idea)
    Sounds: 10 (Hyrulian Music)
  56. Nov 22, 2013
    A Nostalgia paradise! Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is nothing short of a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Nintendo proves once again that they are true masters of their craft. in this barren and desolate gaming landscape where AAA, 4 hour long, slapped together, interactive movies rule the "video game" industry ALBW truly shines brighter than ever.

To understand, appreciate and

To understand, appreciate and pay homage to ones roots is one thing. but to do it in a way that brings so much innovation to the table is nothing short of astounding which is more than i can say for some companies (Im looking at you Sega so get your notepad out you might learn something). Some might say that making a sequel based on an old established and proven formula is too safe but to them i say LOOK AT THE SONIC SERIES. It seems no matter what Sega does they fail, even when they for all intents and purposes do exactly what ALBW does ala sonic 4. Generations got it better than the former but in comparison to almost ANY Nintendo title, where classic characters are concerned: I would still consider Generations a failure. Nintendo has a mastery of balancing nostalgia with innovation that Sonic Team can only dream of having.

The 3DS has been absolutely ON FIRE this year and with great titles like Kirby, Yoshis Island and Bravely Default heading our way next year Nintendo shows no signs of stopping. If ALBW is any sign you can bet those games will be incredible as well. Its great to see a huge company not afraid to bring new things to the table while not forgetting what got them there in the first place! Thanks Nintendo for the trip down memory lane!
  57. Dec 13, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds has everything you could ever ask for in a nostalgic Zelda title. Great graphics, great gameplay, great dungeons, very well thought-out bosses (adding a unique spin on some old friends) and fantastic, memorable characters, I would recommend this game to every Zelda fan in the world who ever doubted this title, and I would highly recommend it toThe Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds has everything you could ever ask for in a nostalgic Zelda title. Great graphics, great gameplay, great dungeons, very well thought-out bosses (adding a unique spin on some old friends) and fantastic, memorable characters, I would recommend this game to every Zelda fan in the world who ever doubted this title, and I would highly recommend it to those who already thought of getting it. This title takes the old, nostalgic feeling that nostalgic Zelda fans have been waiting for and they blend it to perfection with all the wholesome wonder of a brand-new, shiny title off of the shelves. It is my favorite Zelda since Twilight Princess, and even then, there are several things I like about this more than TP even, and it would be extremely worth your time to play this title. Just don't play it too quickly! Expand
  58. May 12, 2014
    Everything about this game is perfect. The sound-track rocks. The graphics are awesome! (Really, the screenshots looked terrible to me, but you should play it and the 3D-effect is really well-done.) The gameplay is superb! I love everything about this game.
  59. Dec 9, 2014
    I was mostly disappointed by this game, maybe my expectations were too high because it's a spiritual successor to A Link to the Past. First of all, the difficulty, I was expecting a hard game, pretty much like A Link to the Past, but instead I got what is probably the easiest (even in hero-mode) Zelda game, right next to Wind Waker. I don't get why people praise the puzzles, they areI was mostly disappointed by this game, maybe my expectations were too high because it's a spiritual successor to A Link to the Past. First of all, the difficulty, I was expecting a hard game, pretty much like A Link to the Past, but instead I got what is probably the easiest (even in hero-mode) Zelda game, right next to Wind Waker. I don't get why people praise the puzzles, they are insultingly easy, even Skyward Sword was more challenging. The dungeons are really bad (except the last one, it was incredibly good), all of them are very short and easy. And all the boss fights (again, except for the last one) were lame.
    The over-world is the same as in A Link to the Past and that should be a good thing, but it's not. In A Link to the Past it felt big and full of secrets, but in this one you can traverse from one side to the other in less than 30 seconds and since most caves only have money in them, you don't feel like exploring. I also didn't like the new rent-an-item mechanic, I never had to rent any of them, I just bought them and by the time of the third dungeon I already had them all. One last issue I have is that it only takes like 10 hours to beat and 15 for completionists, there is almost no replay value.

On the good side, the story and ending are great, and I like the fact that there is no annoying companion this time. The game looks gorgeous and runs at 60fps. It has one of the best soundtrack in the whole series and the gameplay is pretty neat. I really liked the new painting mechanic, It was really entertaining and well implemented into the game. Finally, I think the meter for item usage should be used in later installments.

A Link Between World is a disappointment for me, it's not a bad game, in fact it's a really good one, it's just not as good as other Zeldas
  60. Nov 10, 2014
    Wow, just wow! I finally caved in and bought a 3DS and this was the first game I bought. I was amazing! What a wonderful take on a classic game. The game has endless potential, the dungeons well crafted, even though some of them can be rage inducing. The merging ability is something new and Nintendo keeps to impress me with their innovative ideas for Zelda. While the Zelda staplesWow, just wow! I finally caved in and bought a 3DS and this was the first game I bought. I was amazing! What a wonderful take on a classic game. The game has endless potential, the dungeons well crafted, even though some of them can be rage inducing. The merging ability is something new and Nintendo keeps to impress me with their innovative ideas for Zelda. While the Zelda staples come back, such as the bomb, hookshot, etc, there are some items that keep the game fresh and entertaining. If you own a 3DS, this game is a must own! Expand
  61. Nov 22, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds combines the nostalgia and timeless gameplay from A Link to the Past with up to date visuals, new gameplay mechanics, and a whole new world. The gameplay will advocate to Zelda fans both old and new and the timeless features of a run of the mill Zelda title like amazing music are still there. Possibly the best addition would be the ability to runThe Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds combines the nostalgia and timeless gameplay from A Link to the Past with up to date visuals, new gameplay mechanics, and a whole new world. The gameplay will advocate to Zelda fans both old and new and the timeless features of a run of the mill Zelda title like amazing music are still there. Possibly the best addition would be the ability to run through dungeons without being confined to a specific order which prompts an increase in difficulty. Though it's graphically not the best due to cut-backs for the overhead gameplay and I really can't say too much about the characters and plot from where I'm currently at, A Link Between Worlds is a promising title for all 3DS owners. Expand
  62. Dec 13, 2014
    As a long-time Zelda fan, this game is an absolute joy to play. In stark contrast to the much more linear 3D Zelda games, A Link Between Worlds hearkens back to the spirit of Zelda 1 by allowing the player the freedom to complete the game at the pace they want to. Despite being reused from A Link to the Past, the overworld still feels vast, fresh, and beautiful. Definitely the best 3DSAs a long-time Zelda fan, this game is an absolute joy to play. In stark contrast to the much more linear 3D Zelda games, A Link Between Worlds hearkens back to the spirit of Zelda 1 by allowing the player the freedom to complete the game at the pace they want to. Despite being reused from A Link to the Past, the overworld still feels vast, fresh, and beautiful. Definitely the best 3DS game on the system far, and quite possibly one of the greatest Zelda titles to date. Expand
  63. Apr 3, 2014
    Something that started out as a remake and developed into a wonderful new installment in the zelda franchise. Instead of focusing on battle like the previous installments, this goes back to the series roots and focus on exploration, it turns the game into a really refreshing old school experience! I haven't had this much fun with a Zelda game since the original a Link to the past

Worth

Worth pointing out there's no annoying sidekick to take you by the hand and lead you from place to place like a babysitter with useless tips and hints. ( the fact that ravio has one tho, makes it seem like link was going to have a fairy at some point )

I just don't give a 10 because sometimes ladder and ramps make it impossible to beat enemies, it may seem like something silly, but you die a lot because of it in hero mode ( which is absurdly hard, btw )
  64. Nov 29, 2013
    A Link Between Worlds is a more than satisfying sequel to 1991's Zelda: A link to the Past. I haven't had this much fun with a Zelda game in a long time, it still shows you that the world of Zelda can still bring much discovery after so many years. Familiar surroundings doesn't necessarily mean familiar gameplay mechanics. ALBW carry's a good balance between items you find on your ownA Link Between Worlds is a more than satisfying sequel to 1991's Zelda: A link to the Past. I haven't had this much fun with a Zelda game in a long time, it still shows you that the world of Zelda can still bring much discovery after so many years. Familiar surroundings doesn't necessarily mean familiar gameplay mechanics. ALBW carry's a good balance between items you find on your own and what is already available to you without making things too easy. Fun puzzles to solve and unique boss fights are still at the core of the game but still has enough side quests to keep you busy.
    If you were still on the fence about this one, worry not. It has a good pace without ever making anything dry.
  65. Nov 25, 2013
    If you remember playing Link to the Past buying this game is a no brainer. To even the smallest detail the look, feel, and sounds are exactly like LTTP. Even links sleeves are red. My only problem with this game is that it was too easy. (I completed the entire game only dying 3 times) My favorite part of this game is the AWESOME music. 9/10
  66. Jun 22, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the reason why I play video games. Visually great, intuitive gameplay and outstanding level design. The only negative thing I have to say about this game is the fact that it is kind of short and easy. The best 3DS game yet without any doubt.
  67. Aug 30, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is without a doubt an awesome game, one that is surely to become a classic in our hearts in the somewhat distant future. It is undoubtedly a worthy successor to A Link To The Past. This game retains its roots from its predecessor, yet still manages to innovate with concepts that are new to The Legend of Zelda series. This is one game that youThe Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is without a doubt an awesome game, one that is surely to become a classic in our hearts in the somewhat distant future. It is undoubtedly a worthy successor to A Link To The Past. This game retains its roots from its predecessor, yet still manages to innovate with concepts that are new to The Legend of Zelda series. This is one game that you should definitely pick up sometime. Furthermore, the game has certainly become one of my favorite Zelda installments (it is now second only to Ocarina of Time).
    The world in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds seems massive for a Nintendo 3DS game, in which I pleasantly surprised by the size of Hyrule alone. Discovering Lorule just seemed to reinforce the variety of activities and secrets in ALBW that were just waiting to be discovered. I've spent hours merely exploring both worlds within the game, just in awe of how much there is to do in the game. Completing side quests, playing minigames, collecting Pieces of Hearts, slaughtering monsters, finding Easter eggs, treasure hunting, Streetpass, etc. They're all in the game, and more.
    Speaking of Streetpass, I concur that it was used quite well. For those who do not know, individuals with the game can Streetpass each other, then fight "Dark Link" versions of others using their personal combination of weapons. The Dark Links are AI-controlled, and also account for the number of hearts an individual may currently have, as well as potions, fairies, and other healing items. With this feature, also comes a list of accomplishments, each of which that can be unlocked by completely certain tasks during these fights.
    I found the wall-merging sections of the dungeons to have been used quite effectively as well. They truly added another layer of difficulty to the puzzles present within this game by innovating this brand new mechanism. More than few times did I find myself stuck in specific areas of the dungeons throughout the game, perplexed on how to continue. For that, I applaud the developers; fantastic job, Nintendo EAD.
    In fact, I'd even go as far as to consider the entire world in the game (Hyrule and/or Lorule) as one giant puzzle, that you must slowly solve as you travel between worlds, merge through walls, conquer dungeons without a specific order, and complete certain tasks. It's actually a tad difficult to explain, but I suppose if you were to play the game yourself for a few hours, you might have an idea of what I'm talking about.
    By the way, Ravio is an absolute jerk in the beginning of the game. Seriously bro, you break and enter my house wearing a purple bunny mask, then have the audacity to ask to stay there for awhile. Soon after, you claim MY house as your own, then proceed to turn into a shop that sell various weapons for ridiculous prices. That other purple mask must have been responsible for his utter disrespect. Really bro, who does that?! Oh, and not to mention that you force your birdlike slave to fly to the other side of Hyrule (and sometimes Lorule) to a dangerous dungeon, have it steal my items, then leave me there to die. It doesn't matter what he did later on in the game, the point is that Ravio can stay in Lorule alone for all I care. I never want to see that stupid and cowardly Nabbit-ripoff again in my life. Please understand.
  68. Sep 20, 2014
    Instant classic with minor issues:

* strange level design choices - Keys next to its doors- * too easy ( I saw the game over screen twice only) * Game design shows a lack of dedication and long term gameplay design - The store allows to rent and buy the item too easily making it totally unnecessary as there is no grinding , i would rather prefer to include the items as they were in
    Instant classic with minor issues:

* strange level design choices - Keys next to its doors-
    * too easy ( I saw the game over screen twice only)
    * Game design shows a lack of dedication and long term gameplay design - The store allows to rent and buy the item too easily making it totally unnecessary as there is no grinding , i would rather prefer to include the items as they were in previous games( inside dungeons) or make new areas with puzzles to retrive them . At the end, the Ravio shop has a very minor importance
  69. Feb 21, 2014
    The gameplay, the music, the controllers, the graphics are amazing. The dungeons are amazing too, because now you feel there is more excitement with using 3D feature. There is joy in this game, but after some hours you will start to feel that the game is actually very similar to Link to the past. The elements of this game are also very similar. It makes you think this game is just anThe gameplay, the music, the controllers, the graphics are amazing. The dungeons are amazing too, because now you feel there is more excitement with using 3D feature. There is joy in this game, but after some hours you will start to feel that the game is actually very similar to Link to the past. The elements of this game are also very similar. It makes you think this game is just an remake with few new content. The reason why i gave this 8, is because the game does not bring you revolution to Zelda series that needs very badly in these days. Expand
  70. Jan 2, 2014
    The lowest review scores are from Destructoid and The Escapist so it's safe to say this is a great game that people who don't contrarily hate something because it's popular will really enjoy.
  71. Jan 28, 2014
    Just beat Zelda: a Link Between Worlds last night. Put in about 23h into the game, and honestly over the past week and a half I've had trouble putting it down.

It's one of the best of the LoZ games that I've played, if only for its sheer presentation and fluidity of gameplay. The music is outstanding, the world and graphics are beautiful with crazy attention to detail, and the puzzles are tricky and entertaining.

The best part of the game for me was how much of an undirected open world approach they took. It was pure exploration and discovery, where every nook and cranny could be investigated by using one item or another. Also, it's a completionists wet dream, with tons of extras to keep you exploring all across the map.

One of my few complaints is how the final dungeon felt a bit 'cheap' in that it didn't require much effort at all. I didn't even realize I was at the final boss because I expected the game to require more effort for me to reach him. And while the final boss was spectacular to look at, I found him to be rather easy to defeat in comparison to previous Zelda games. This applies over to all aspects of the game in general, the relative ease of getting through the game took away from the experience, in my opinion, because while you were getting stronger, getting better items, and generally becoming a badass, the level of difficulty never really rose to meet your challenge.

For example, it wasn't until much later in the game did I realize I could upgrade all of my items. I literally had 2 dungeons left to finish before getting any of the upgraded items, which means that I could have finished the entire game without upgrading any of the items. It gives that whole sidequest of upgrading your gear seem trivial.

Those are some of the only real knocks I can make on the overall excellent game. It's hard to believe what they can do on mobile nowadays. I remember owning a gameboy as a kid, and my favorite game for it was by far The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. That game had managed to capture so much of what made the Zelda games more than just fun, more than the sum of their parts. It's nice to see the spirit that that old game encompassed alive and well on modern portable systems, and the 3DS proves itself a worthy home for the Zelda series.

I really can't recommend this game enough.
  72. May 15, 2014
    I don’t have a vested interest in bad mouthing the Zelda franchise, far from it. I love these games, and I want what’s best for them. I want them to continue to be fun and innovative and timeless for many years to come. But nowadays it seems that Zelda games get hyped and praised by virtue of simply being Zelda games, regardless of whether they actually deserve it or not. And nowhere isI don’t have a vested interest in bad mouthing the Zelda franchise, far from it. I love these games, and I want what’s best for them. I want them to continue to be fun and innovative and timeless for many years to come. But nowadays it seems that Zelda games get hyped and praised by virtue of simply being Zelda games, regardless of whether they actually deserve it or not. And nowhere is this more clearly spotlighted than with the critical acclaim of ALBW, which sets some dangerous precedents.

Even before it came out the announcement raised some concerns for me. Before this, we had titles such as Spirit Tracks and Ocarina of Time, and I personally think that both were great handheld Zeldas. Sure, ST had some flaws, but overall I think it worked. I was excited for the next 3DS game, for an original title, because I was curious about where the series would go. Would they stick with a traditional top down perspective, but with enhanced, next gen visuals and gameplay? Or would they utilize the engine they used to make OOT3D in order to create a brand new, fully 3D adventure? Either possibility was exciting and interesting. But instead, what did they do? They made a game that mimicked the gameplay and graphical style of A Link to the Past, which feels like a step backwards at this point.

Don’t get me wrong, ALTTP is a classic, it was great, it’s one of my personal favorites. But the way to make a game just as revolutionary and classic as ALTTP is to make a game that offers its own innovate and unique take on the classic Zelda formula (which is what most of the Zeldas until now were at least trying to do), not to just make ALTTP again. But that’s pretty much exactly what they did; They remade ALTTP, with just enough tweaks and new features so that they can claim it’s a brand new title. And it might have been forgivable if it was just as good as or better than ALTTP, but I personally don’t think it is. And even if it was as good as ALTTP, there are countless things that made ALTTP special that are simply not present in ALBW. ALTTP was completely revolutionary, taking elements from the previous games, making them better and adding tons of new features that are now staples of the franchise and have impacted gaming as a whole. ALBW, in contrast, is anything but revolutionary, and adds almost nothing new to the series or to gaming in general. Another thing that made ALTTP so special was that it really pushed the limits of what its hardware could do. Again, ST and OOT3D show the potential of what a modern handheld Zelda is capable of doing, and ALBW just seems like a barebones effort in comparison.

Some people accuse the Zelda games of all being rehashes, and usually I would disagree. While all of the games follow a similar formula, I feel that each of them has done something fresh to keep things interesting and give each game its own identity while still being a Zelda game. ALBW, sadly, is the first entry in the series that feels like a complete and utter rehash, to a rather insulting degree. It’s clear that Nintendo didn’t make ALBW because they thought that making a sequel to ALTTP was the best direction for the series, but because they knew they could capitalize on people’s nostalgia for ALTTP. And given how many 10s and GOTY nominations this game has gotten despite it's stark lack of originality, it’s clear that their plan worked.

I’m not saying that people are wrong for liking the game. It is a well-designed game, and I did have fun with it, and if you’re judging it on its own terms, there’s not much to complain about. But if you take into account the broader context of the rest of the Zelda franchise and gaming in general, it’s hard to remain impartial when it’s blatantly obvious that Nintendo is using a much older and better game as a cheat sheet. And that’s what I find truly disappointing about this whole situation. The thing that made the older Zelda games so special was that they were pioneers, they were doing bold and new things, and it was their revolutionary spirit that made the franchise so popular and successful. But there hasn’t been a game in the series that was a true masterpiece since Wind Waker, and now the franchise has reached a point where it is literally copy and pasting things wholesale from previous titles in the hopes that they’ll achieve the same result. And sure, it seems to have worked this time, but this kind of trick can only work so many times before people grow bored and move on. It sadly looks like the Zelda series, like many of Nintendo's franchises, is slowly dying, as nostalgia bait like this will not sustain the series forever. I sincerely hope that the upcoming Zelda for the Wii U proves me dead wrong, but as things stand now, ALBW was a major let down and a huge step backwards.
  73. Jun 20, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A link between worlds. This one is special. It is a clone of The Legend of Zelda III: A link to the past, just with 3D graphics, new story and a new concept for moving in between worlds. The game was pretty, it was fun, it was a game that a big fan of The Legend of Zelda-games likes. However, it was way too easy. I plowed through this one in no time compared to ZeldaThe Legend of Zelda: A link between worlds. This one is special. It is a clone of The Legend of Zelda III: A link to the past, just with 3D graphics, new story and a new concept for moving in between worlds. The game was pretty, it was fun, it was a game that a big fan of The Legend of Zelda-games likes. However, it was way too easy. I plowed through this one in no time compared to Zelda III, which was the only downside I could find. Also, if you are into Zelda-games, collecting pieces of hearts is an essential part of the games, and even finding these was way to easy. I thank Nintendo for going back here and create something like this again. Expand
  74. Aug 3, 2014
    The execution is wonderful. The depth of the game surpasses any other. It's probably the most genius display of craftsmanship in a game. Never have I seen such before. Progression is presented in such a splendid way. There is so many ways that lead to the destination which is always a pleasant surprise. The fifteen hours that it takes to finish the game feel like 60. If you don't want toThe execution is wonderful. The depth of the game surpasses any other. It's probably the most genius display of craftsmanship in a game. Never have I seen such before. Progression is presented in such a splendid way. There is so many ways that lead to the destination which is always a pleasant surprise. The fifteen hours that it takes to finish the game feel like 60. If you don't want to get this game get it anyways. Expand
  75. Nov 24, 2013
    A great return to anyone who loved A Link to the Past, or anyone who is looking for a great adventure game to play. I was on the fence about buying this system just for this game, but it was definitely worth it. 3DS has so many other cool things as well.
  76. Nov 27, 2013
    A little too familiar, but hard to fault the game too much for absolutely nailing the nostalgia. The music was my favorite part of the game by far, with remixed versions of the classic music, along with new themes such as the dark world boss themes that will blow your mind! The new mechanic is great; turning into a painting opens up tons of possibilities and is used constantly throughoutA little too familiar, but hard to fault the game too much for absolutely nailing the nostalgia. The music was my favorite part of the game by far, with remixed versions of the classic music, along with new themes such as the dark world boss themes that will blow your mind! The new mechanic is great; turning into a painting opens up tons of possibilities and is used constantly throughout the game! Seeing the returning locations was a bit of a letdown; the overworld is almost identical to A Link to the Past, while the dungeons are mostly the same places, but redone enough to make them stand out.

Im a huge Zelda fan and this game was pure fun the entire way through. I would love to see more of these on handhelds, as top down Zelda games like this, Minish Cap and so on are always very good. Keep the 3d on, its worth it.
  77. Nov 27, 2013
    ,One of the best puzzle/adventure games on the Nintendo3ds. The new twists that ALBW brings to the franchises is a breath of fresh air. While the game is a bit shorter then regular zelda games, it is still much better then the ds games and it's classes itself in one of the best zelda games of all time.
  78. Dec 4, 2013
    Most enjoyable Zelda game I have played since Wind Waker (although I admit I have only played an hour or two of Skyward Sword). For me Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time will most likely always be my favorite Zelda games, but this one takes 3rd. The dungeons were not overly tricky, but had very good puzzles and they did not take an exorbitant amount of time to complete. I am not huge onMost enjoyable Zelda game I have played since Wind Waker (although I admit I have only played an hour or two of Skyward Sword). For me Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time will most likely always be my favorite Zelda games, but this one takes 3rd. The dungeons were not overly tricky, but had very good puzzles and they did not take an exorbitant amount of time to complete. I am not huge on replaying games I've beaten, but this one would definitely be one I could see myself playing again. Expand
  79. Nov 22, 2013
    Great feel and really fun boss fights. I enjoy a little bit o' Zelda especially creative one like this. I usually hate portable Zelda games such as Spirit Tracks, but this one made me smile. Go get it on the eShop or go drive your butts to gamestop!
  80. Nov 22, 2013
    Just near to be perfect, i toght that it will be a copy/paste of a likn to the past, but its not, the remaster of the music is perfect and the visuals are simple but stonishing at the same time i dont know why maybe its some kind of trickery, but its a wonderful game
  81. Mar 8, 2014
    A Link Between Worlds should not be considered a remake of link to the past by any means. Link between worlds was a nice change of pace after the slow-starting Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. Link retrieves the sword after a short five minutes and the main mechanic is introduced smoothly and simply. The story is amazing, becoming one of my favorite endings in The Legend Of ZeldaA Link Between Worlds should not be considered a remake of link to the past by any means. Link between worlds was a nice change of pace after the slow-starting Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. Link retrieves the sword after a short five minutes and the main mechanic is introduced smoothly and simply. The story is amazing, becoming one of my favorite endings in The Legend Of Zelda series, and the controls are simpler than they have been in the series in a long time. The mini-games and Ravio's rental system provide plenty of use for rupees, and for ensuring that you will pay the price for dying. I have minor complaints about certain camera angles, as well as the lack of good characters, but overall, A Link Between Worlds is a promising game for the younger and older generation Zelda fans. Expand
  82. Nov 18, 2014
    This game was marketed as a sequel to A Link to the Past. What I expected was well polished sequel to the fantastic original. Not only did they alter the story so radically that it makes no sense in context to A Link to the Past, but the gameplay was so easy and boring that it took me only 2 days to beat. I instantly felt cheated, and decided I should sell the game as soon as possible so IThis game was marketed as a sequel to A Link to the Past. What I expected was well polished sequel to the fantastic original. Not only did they alter the story so radically that it makes no sense in context to A Link to the Past, but the gameplay was so easy and boring that it took me only 2 days to beat. I instantly felt cheated, and decided I should sell the game as soon as possible so I could go buy Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Do not buy this game. As a huge fan of the series, I have beaten 15/17 of the games in the series, not counting Hyrule Warriors, and this game was a huge letdown. Do not buy it. Borrow it from your buddy, beat it in a week, and then move on with your life. Expand
  83. Aug 23, 2014
    If you liked 2D TLoZ games, you're gonna totally love this game too. But I felt like game is a little bit easier than other TLoZ games (played A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages & Seasons). Buying and renting items are cool but that's the easy part in my opinion. Other than that, if you own a 3DS and still thinking about "Hmm, should I really buy A LinkIf you liked 2D TLoZ games, you're gonna totally love this game too. But I felt like game is a little bit easier than other TLoZ games (played A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages & Seasons). Buying and renting items are cool but that's the easy part in my opinion. Other than that, if you own a 3DS and still thinking about "Hmm, should I really buy A Link Between Worlds?", you're wasting your precious time. Go and buy it! Expand
  84. Dec 30, 2013
    I must say first of all that the art in this game is absolutely fantastic. The simple and smooth 3d sprites are beautiful. I'm praying they make at least a couple more Zelda games with this same engine. Gameplay is also great. Exactly what you'd expect from the great zelda franchise. A lot of people complain about how the items are rented from a single central location instead of earned inI must say first of all that the art in this game is absolutely fantastic. The simple and smooth 3d sprites are beautiful. I'm praying they make at least a couple more Zelda games with this same engine. Gameplay is also great. Exactly what you'd expect from the great zelda franchise. A lot of people complain about how the items are rented from a single central location instead of earned in the dungeons, but I've quite enjoyed how it's made the dungeon system a bit more dynamic. Long story short: buy this game. Expand
  85. Nov 24, 2013
    I love every aspect of this game. I especially enjoy how there is a great use of the 3D effect from a top down point of view. The portrait mechanics is very clever and adds a unique flare to the puzzles. The story is rich with adventure and decent level of difficulty. There is also a rent an item feature that creates a great balance of exploration freedom. The Legend of Zelda: A LinkI love every aspect of this game. I especially enjoy how there is a great use of the 3D effect from a top down point of view. The portrait mechanics is very clever and adds a unique flare to the puzzles. The story is rich with adventure and decent level of difficulty. There is also a rent an item feature that creates a great balance of exploration freedom. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is one of the few games that deserves a 10/10 Expand
  86. Dec 2, 2013
    The true sequel to SNES classic.Well thought out puzzles,challenging boss fights,superb soundtrack and cute graphics makes this game a 3DS classic.Simply a Must-Buy
  87. Dec 15, 2013
    Totally exceeded my expectations. Nostalgia goggles aside, this is easily one of the best Zeldas if not THE best. The music is fantastic and just as memorable as any of your favorite Zelda tunes. The 3D and 60fps looks amazing. The gameplay is simple and shows a focus on good puzzles. The game doesn't hold your hand at all. The puzzles are new and will provide a challenge and there isTotally exceeded my expectations. Nostalgia goggles aside, this is easily one of the best Zeldas if not THE best. The music is fantastic and just as memorable as any of your favorite Zelda tunes. The 3D and 60fps looks amazing. The gameplay is simple and shows a focus on good puzzles. The game doesn't hold your hand at all. The puzzles are new and will provide a challenge and there is more than one way to solve them. Expand
  88. Jan 20, 2014
    It's as if Nintendo handed A Link to the Past over to Mother Maiamai and got this in return. ALBW manages to juggle feelings of nostalgia new concepts and characters, an interesting story, and fantastic game play. Currently it stands next to Fire Emblem: Awakening as my two favorite games currently released for the 3DS. It was easy to lose myself in this game as I worked through itsIt's as if Nintendo handed A Link to the Past over to Mother Maiamai and got this in return. ALBW manages to juggle feelings of nostalgia new concepts and characters, an interesting story, and fantastic game play. Currently it stands next to Fire Emblem: Awakening as my two favorite games currently released for the 3DS. It was easy to lose myself in this game as I worked through its dungeons, and I'd recommend it to any one with a 3DS. It's biggest flaw is its brevity-- I could certainly have played it a lot longer (yes, yes, I did go back and re-beat it in hero mode). Still, I suppose it's not necessarily a bad thing when the only flaw you can think of with a game is that it left you wanting more. It isn't that the story didn't feel sufficient, it was. You just won't see me complaining if they released DLC or some other sort of story expansion that adds even more to what is already there. Expand
  89. Jun 2, 2014
    Un gioco geniale, che riprende un mondo del passato, quello di A Link to the Past e lo ripropone in chiave moderna in un avventura completamente nuova, con alcune novità inedite per la serie e un ritmo molto più veloce e "leggero" rispetto agli Zelda degli ultimi anni. Forse il miglior episodio portatile.
  90. Aug 7, 2014
    Another GREAT Zelda game with a lot of new innovative stuff. The ending was amazing with a touch of emotion and humanism that I hadn't seen in previous titles! It is too bad the game was kinda too easy, otherwise I would've given it a 10. There is the harder version after you beat it one which gives it a decent replay value, but it's just a more-damage-taken kind of harder.
  91. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is as close to perfect as games come. It really is a must have for Zelda fans, especially for those that played and loved Link to the Past. It looks gorgeous, plays like a dream, is chock full of nostalgia and Zelda references and uses 3D better than any other game I've played. 10/10!
  92. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is just wonderful. Beautiful and detailed world to explore, challenging enought puzzles and familiar yet breathtaking story. I wish all the games would be as thought-through and deep on all levels possible.
  93. Nov 27, 2013
    When Nintendo officially announced that there would be a sequel to The Legend Of Zelda A Link To The Past more than 20 years after its original release I like many other people was ecstatic.

Knowing Nintendo I had High hopes for a game that would cater to both long time fans and newbiews of the series. Unfortunately the final product is what I think I can call my least favorite Zelda

Unfortunately the final product is what I think I can call my least favorite Zelda game to date. Long gone is that feeling of exploration, self discovery and character growth. What you get is a game that feels more like a parody Zelda title created by some fan in their garage. Zelda A Link between worlds is a sequel set 300 something years after the events of the first game, but Nintendo has done little to nothing to make it feel so.

With a world that is almost identical to its predecessor, there is almost nothing here for long time fans who want to explore this hyrule and to see more. If there is one key difference, it's that during the 300 something years that occurred between both games Link and his family must have interbred with goats because that's what this link looks like now.

In order to establish its own identity A link between worlds starts you off with the ability to rent every key item at the start of the game such as the hook shock, the boomerang, bombs, Bows and arrows, etc. This means no more rewarding sense of progression through exploration just pony up enough cash and all the items that normally require lots of effort to obtain are immediately yours. Their is some sense of risk. If you die anytime during the game all the items that you rented return to the store, however I was always careful and saved before going off into a dangerous place so as long as you save before entering a dungeon you'll be fine. If you don't then you will have to go through the annoying task of traversing all the way back to your home just so that you can rent them again. After you've beaten the first three dungeons you will be given the opportunity to buy these items indefinitely.

Just like in a link to the past you have a magic meter that drains over use, however unlike ALTTP magic is drained with everything you use. Everything meaning a simple swing of a hammer or throw of a boomerang will cast magic. So say you want to stock up on ammo and attack enemies repeatedly with a barrage of arrows bombs and just about anything else, you can't do that because instead of collecting these items you have an infinite amount of them to use at your leisure, but your magic gauge is not going to let you shoot more then a good 7 to 8 arrows before it depletes. Why does shooting an arrow drain your magic meter, why can I simply not pick up arrows and bombs like in any other Zelda game?

Sure your magic meter regenerates quickly but still your items should never be linked to a bar of energy, unless it's a game like Dark Souls where you have a stamina bar, but this isn't Dark Souls. This Zelda's biggest new feature is the ability to turn yourself into a painting and traverse walls. This ability uses magic energy and is extremely useful when traversing tight areas. Though it isn't used that often in combat. One boss fight requires you to time their attacks and then just as they're about to ram you turn into a painting to disorient them. For me though the lack of difficulty and memorable set pieces is what made this game a mediocre forgettable title.

I get the feeling that Nintendo has forgotten what it feels like to make a game hard as damn near every dungeon in this game I was able to beat on my first try in less than 45 minutes. For a Zelda games, that's pathetic.

Every dungeon in this game requires you to use one and only item to beat it. At the very beginning of the dungeon their is a symbol telling you what key item you need to use to complete it. After beating the dungeon and facing the boss instead of trying to find creative ways to beat it you just use the same item that you've been using for the entire level to defeat it.

Half the fun in any Zelda game for me at least is trying to figure out what combination of items are needed to beat a certain level. When the game flat out tells you that you only need one specific item to complete that entire ordeal it zaps away the joy.

There is a lot of stuff to do outside of the main quest that can be fun and adds replay value. Certain subplots like catching a thief to acquire shoes that let you run faster, collecting ore for a black smith to upgrade your sword, and wait does this seem familiar? It is it sounds like I'm talking about A Link To The Past Doesn't it. It's hard for a sequel to stand on its own to feet when its best moments are referencing it's predecessor.

If your a fan of the original game and want a true sequel then I recommend importing the game BS The Legend Of Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets for the Super Famicom, because A Link Between Worlds is not the game a true Zelda fan deserves.
  94. Feb 10, 2014
    As a long-time Zelda fan, I must say that I found this game rather...underwhelming. I breezed through this game, even nabbing 25/28 pieces of heart and 90/100 of the other collectibles without any help whatsoever. No dungeon took me longer than an hour. I don't know if it's that I'm getting better or the game is easier than usual, but as a guy that reveres the Zelda series as the best ofAs a long-time Zelda fan, I must say that I found this game rather...underwhelming. I breezed through this game, even nabbing 25/28 pieces of heart and 90/100 of the other collectibles without any help whatsoever. No dungeon took me longer than an hour. I don't know if it's that I'm getting better or the game is easier than usual, but as a guy that reveres the Zelda series as the best of the best, this doesn't feel much like Zelda.

My main gripe is that you are given most of the items in the game right at the start. All other Zelda games have had the same dungeon formula that has worked for over 100 dungeons in the series, and I'm not sure why they would deviate from it now.

The formula is simple: Several times throughout the dungeon, you'll need to solve some sort of similar puzzle repeatedly, for example, hitting a distant switch. Once you've done that a few times, you'll get an item from the dungeon that can singlehandedly solve that particular puzzle with ease, for example, the boomerang for hitting a distant switch. Finally, the dungeon boss can only be defeated through use of that item.

The formula in this game isn't too different; most dungeons have a particular item that will solve most of its puzzles, but the difference is that you already have that item when you go in, rather than getting it inside. This took a lot of the fun out of it.

It's worth adding that, in lieu of the standard dungeon item, each dungeon instead contains a bonus item that you don't require, although it never has anything to do with the dungeon itself.

I suppose, all in all, this game was made (like many of Nintendo's games these days) with a more casual audience in mind. I can't really fault them for that, and if you're a casual gamer, this is probably a title worth picking up. However, if you're a "pro" gamer, this title won't give you a good ratio of hours-to-dollars.
  95. Nov 25, 2013
    Let me just start out by saying that a Link to the Past is not only my favorite zelda game of all time, but it is and always will be one of my absolute favorite VIDEO GAMES of all time! when i heard this game was announced i was very skeptical, but I've got to say nintendo have really nailed it on the head with this one! Anyone who enjoyed a link to the past or any other 2d zelda adventureLet me just start out by saying that a Link to the Past is not only my favorite zelda game of all time, but it is and always will be one of my absolute favorite VIDEO GAMES of all time! when i heard this game was announced i was very skeptical, but I've got to say nintendo have really nailed it on the head with this one! Anyone who enjoyed a link to the past or any other 2d zelda adventure will find themselves instantly grinning from ear to ear. I won't spoil too much but this game is a joy from beginning to end, set in the same hyrule as link to the past but packed to the limits with new exciting content, and so many secrets I couldn't even begin to describe. Also the art direction is perfect, and the 3D effect is actually handled perfectly, i found i played with it turned on almost the whole time. basically, if you have ever loved 2d zelda adventures, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not picking this one up! Expand
  96. Nov 22, 2013
    What initially looked like a game leaning on the aging crutches of A Link to the Past has turned out to be a thoroughly poignant, vivid and immensely satisfying game worthy of standing on its own two feet. Set in the world of A Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds makes the serendipitous combination of a reinvigorating spark with a meaty hit of nostalgia. Presenting freedom of choiceWhat initially looked like a game leaning on the aging crutches of A Link to the Past has turned out to be a thoroughly poignant, vivid and immensely satisfying game worthy of standing on its own two feet. Set in the world of A Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds makes the serendipitous combination of a reinvigorating spark with a meaty hit of nostalgia. Presenting freedom of choice gameplay not seen since the original, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds makes no effort to hold the players hand through the richly dense world of Hyrule and it works brilliantly. Rather than following in the footsteps of Game Freak and introducing the franchise to a new generation of audiences at the risk of patronising its long term fans, (I’m looking at you Pokémon X and Y) Link Between Worlds pays homage to those of us who have followed Link since his debut over 25 years ago all whilst paving the way for a reinvention of what it means to make a Zelda game. The puzzles in Link Between Worlds are, as aforementioned, immensely satisfying. I could almost hear the pieces of a riddle snap together in my head as I strived to calculate the answer. It’s a feeling experienced whilst playing the Professor Layton series, but puzzle-solving in this game is made relevant and interesting by the vivid world, close to perfect combat and awe-inspiring imagination. This is a beautiful game, presenting a colourful and vibrant world that just seems to radiate adventure and exploration. The characters are complex and interesting, but perhaps the biggest achievement in terms of its presentation is the silky-smooth 60fps frame rate which stays consistent throughout this 18 hour adventure even with the 3D effect turned on. Expand
  97. Nov 26, 2013
    Amazing Game, In my opinion the best Zelda game to date. At the very least for handhelds. It is a memorable experience with fun and interesting dungeons and clever puzzles, a recommendation for anyone who likes puzzling, good stories, adventures and crawling dungeons.
  98. Nov 28, 2013
    It's like A Link to the Past popped up in a magical toybox in my hand. Just fantastically brilliant all around. So super high polished, and totally gorgeous. A must-have for 3DS owners, and a great showcase for the system.
  99. Dec 7, 2013
    A brilliant game! Makes up for Skyward Sword, for those who didn't like SS. Brilliant game, i enjoyed all the dungeons! Hero mode for a challenge! I didn't like the renting system at first but it's fixed when you can permanently but the items up for rent. The escort area was really good! A brilliant game overall!
  100. Dec 12, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is great for so many reasons. Being a fan of A Link to the Past, i really enjoyed my time with this game! If your looking for a good Zelda game, than look no further!

1. Mar 11, 2014
    A very good action RPG in a sandbox-like Hyrule. The game features a redefined equipment progression along with the nice flattening trick. It's a bit on the easy side, though. [Dec 2013]
  2. Feb 6, 2014
    A Link Between Worlds is a Zelda for people who have become disillusioned with Zelda over the years. It recalls the series' roots while also taking unique advantage of the 3DS hardware to create something that feels new. They may not make them exactly like they used to anymore, but Link Between Worlds shows that they still recognize what made them great in the first place.
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    Much is the same in A Link Between Worlds. Just like in A Link to the Past you follow Link from a birds-eye perspective in both light and dark worlds. But A Link Between Worlds is not merely a simple game of nostalgia but one that perfectly blends the new and old Zelda games. The result is one of the best games in the series.