8.9

1. May 31, 2012
    It's big, open, colourful, and there is plenty to do. Unfortunately, it is also for the most part mind numingly boring. The level design leaves a lot to be desired because you often find yourself wondering around most of the time completing various tasks which may or may not help you to get to the next phase of the game.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for open level design that gives the
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for open level design that gives the gamer choices. But in this game everything is a gamble and there appears to be little if any logic behind it.

At times you think it's just wonderful and I can see why many people like it. But then again, Justin Beiber sells a lot of albums.

Worth a look but nowhere near as good as many would have you believe.
  2. Dec 8, 2013
    Ocarina of Time is a solid game, and this this is a good remake of it. Higher resolution everything, nice controls, master quest included. A person could hardly ask for more. The 3D stuff even looks pretty good most of the time, if you care about that. I think my favorite part of the remake is that first-person aiming has (optional) motion controls, which makes things way cool.

If

If you've got a 3DS, you should pick up this game.
  3. Nov 26, 2013
    This game's okay as Zelda games go. I wasn't hit by the hype train like everyone else and played this when it came out, so I'm not as biased, but I can't be the only one who thinks this game's not all it's cracked up to be. Yes, it's enjoyable and innovative for its time, but compared to later games and even earlier ones, it doesn't provide much that the other games already don't.

It

It might just be me complaining about it being repeatedly called "teh best zelda game evurr", but I really don't get the deal. It's just a good game and it's a good Zelda game. Nothing more, nothing less.
  4. Apr 2, 2016
    Having heard for years that this is the best game of all time I was thrilled when it came on the 3DS.

However this game turned out be a major disappointment for me. The story isn't that interesting to me, it doesn't capture you at all, the combat is stale and feels like you are constantly waiting for the enemy to strike and then you can make your move to defeat it. Also the camera can sometimes be just an absolute nightmare.

I enjoyed the temples to a certain extent, they were fun to solve but some could get frustrating with backtracking. But they always manage to make you feel satisfied while you're making progress

The game was fun in parts but overall frustrating and just not that interesting.
  5. Sep 2, 2013
    I loved the game when it came out on the Game Cube. But even with it being remade perfectly for the 3DS I just couldn't get into this type of game on such a small screen.
  6. Jun 8, 2015
    Pros:
    +Graphics are nice.
    +Soundtrack and sound in general is amazing.
    +Motion controls!
    +3D is good.

Cons:
    -Clunky controls.
    -Boring as hell.
    -Dull combat.

Ocarina of Time is really not bad, don't get me wrong, but only if you really like Zelda, which i do not. I find other Zelda games much, much better. Instead of buying this, get ALBW.
  7. Sep 27, 2015
    Dungeon design is weak, usually you just entire a room, solve a lame puzzle and move on. Only a few dungeons actually seem unique. Back to the puzzles, they usually consist of "shoot this" or "throw that" at some obvious object. The world feels empty, like something is missing. All the characters are just living encyclopedias (excluding Zelda and Sheik). The entire world just isn't fun toDungeon design is weak, usually you just entire a room, solve a lame puzzle and move on. Only a few dungeons actually seem unique. Back to the puzzles, they usually consist of "shoot this" or "throw that" at some obvious object. The world feels empty, like something is missing. All the characters are just living encyclopedias (excluding Zelda and Sheik). The entire world just isn't fun to explore and it takes a while to finally get a horse. The combat is fun and complex but usually just slashing away with your sword gets the job done. At least the bosses are fun to fight and never feel the same. Expand
  8. Sep 4, 2011
    The game was very fun to play, though the 3d was not quite as good as expected, with any other title i would have given it a 10, but the moment you call something 'zelda', the standards of a hardcore zelda fan like myself go up about 3x higher. great game on its own but not comparable in greatness to the original ocarina of time, i give it a 7 for not keeping up with the original,The game was very fun to play, though the 3d was not quite as good as expected, with any other title i would have given it a 10, but the moment you call something 'zelda', the standards of a hardcore zelda fan like myself go up about 3x higher. great game on its own but not comparable in greatness to the original ocarina of time, i give it a 7 for not keeping up with the original, otherwise it would be 10 Expand
  9. Jan 10, 2012
    OoT is an amazing game. It still is. However, having played it so many times on the N64 I can't even remember, I have a few tiffs with this version. The 3D is cool and everything, but it hurt my eyes. Also, they changed the dialogue. This being the case, the effect wasn't the same. They sped up the type speed, but also the rest of the game. I assume it's for the short attention spans ofOoT is an amazing game. It still is. However, having played it so many times on the N64 I can't even remember, I have a few tiffs with this version. The 3D is cool and everything, but it hurt my eyes. Also, they changed the dialogue. This being the case, the effect wasn't the same. They sped up the type speed, but also the rest of the game. I assume it's for the short attention spans of the newer gamers. It ruins the feel of the game though and sometimes the cut scenes are too short to even read what's being said. It takes a short time to get up to Gannondorf (there used to be a long winding staircase which took all about forever to climb) and the organ music also stays the same volume as you get closer to him (which was one of the coolest parts of the game in my opinion). They fixed the timing on the switch you push to get the hammer, which was nice but far too easy. I went in expecting there to be a few things that I still couldn't get right on the first try and I was wrong. Anyways, I would recommend the N64 or game-cube version of the game before playing this one. Yes it's pretty, but I think it should have been more difficult. Expand
  10. Jul 21, 2011
    I had reached Jabu Jabu's Belly like 2 years ago and it was so awful I quit there and decided to invest my time in something more fun. I recently got it on 3DS and did beat it (what with there barely being any games out on the system yet). The game got better once Link grew up, but there were numerous frustrations along the way that clearly showed that this game is nowhere near "best gameI had reached Jabu Jabu's Belly like 2 years ago and it was so awful I quit there and decided to invest my time in something more fun. I recently got it on 3DS and did beat it (what with there barely being any games out on the system yet). The game got better once Link grew up, but there were numerous frustrations along the way that clearly showed that this game is nowhere near "best game ever" material. I can't list all flaws, let's just mention lack of jump button, Navi's worthless "hints", the Dark Link battle which, instead of being super epic, was a button mash fest, the game's hard-on for gimmick battles, even in the LAST boss fight. Story was expectedly a total joke. Music was alright, so were visuals. It wasn't all bad. I liked the level design, puzzles and weapon diversity. But let's be honest here: it's a good game, but nowhere even remotely close to the best games in history. Expand
  11. Oct 10, 2011
    This game sucked i wasted my money for this game im not sure why people are getting so hyped up about it the graphics suck Nintendo don't even try anymore i was like half way through and i traded the game in at eb games for resident evil which was awesome
  12. May 27, 2014
    I don't understand why people are saying this is the best Zelda game, I'm not saying its a terrible game but it gets way too much glory than it deserves.
  13. May 31, 2015
    now, i love the n64 Version, but this one is very frustrating! Some items are do nothing useful like the shard of agony. It is very different than the normal, and i am stuck because of a glitch! And the glitch would not go away! I am very disappointed in the game right now.
  14. Dec 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An amazing game in 1999, but even with it's visual upgrades it's starting to show its age. It did feel nice to use the touchscreen for swapping items, especially with the iron boots. Expand
  15. Nov 4, 2015
    Ocarina of Time is a great game. And now that it has been taken over to the 3DS, it is even better! Does this game live up to it's unforgiving hype? Let's find out.

A:Music/Sounds The Legend of Zelda series has always been well known for their music, but this game's music never really... stood out to me. There was only one soundtrack that really caught my attention (Gerudo Valley)

A:Music/Sounds

The Legend of Zelda series has always been well known for their music, but this game's music never really... stood out to me. There was only one soundtrack that really caught my attention (Gerudo Valley) but all the other music could probably be replaced with music from different games and I wouldn't be able to tell. This is based on taste, but that is just my experience. The sounds are good as well, but again, not the best in the franchise.

B: Graphics

Oh my god, you have no idea how great the graphics in this game is. The amount of detail that has been put into EVERYTHING is outstanding (The floor in the Temple of Time is reflective!) Did you even realise the huge graphical difference between the N64 and 3DS versions? It is HUGE! I had no idea that graphics could get that good? Have you seen how small the 3DS is? How could such amazing graphics fit on the tiny thing? The world shall never know, I guess...

10/10 WITH my Thumbs Up of Approval

C: Gameplay

This game's gameplay never really stood out to me. I know that this game was what really defined all of the future LoZ games to come, but all the other ones improved on it. This one... it sort of stayed with the same old same old N64 gameplay mechanics.

4/10 (Could have been improved since the N64 version)

D: Story

Last but not least, the story. Not much to tell, really. Ganondorf is evil, Link stops him. This is probably just a 3D variation of the original LoZ, but they really could have improved it a bit. Maybe I'm missing something here that I forgot, but this is just me.

3/10 (Same old story)

Overall, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a great game and is really worth getting. An amazing game for the 3DS, but that's about it. If you put it on the consoles, no one would really care. (I mean, they would, but it wouldn't have seemed as outstanding as it being on the 3DS) So overall, I give the Ocarina of Time 3D a...

7/10 (Worth getting for the 3DS, not worth getting the 3DS for)
  16. Aug 31, 2016
    The game feels really old when you play, I mean, The camera view is terrible, The combat mode is almost rudimentary and requires and improvement, an update, because this game is just an adaptation from N64 to 3DS
  17. Mar 31, 2017
    después del Oot de 64 este se me hizo exageradamente sencillo... me dio la impresión de que le redijeron la dificultad... el hecho de que muestre imágenes de lo próximo a hacer le quita al juego su personalidad orinal de la que nos enamoramos todos en la n64. igualmente reconozco la mejora grafica pero no es algo que sume demasiado al fin y al cabo. Dzaga
  18. Mar 8, 2018
    I don't have an N64 and this was not as memorable for me. Still playing through though it entertaining. However, the thing that is the best if the music. I would recommend this but not to just a normal joe, I'd recommend to this a Zelda fan who has somehow not played Ocarina of Time at all.
  19. Jun 25, 2011
    Many people complain about this game not adding any new items/dungeons or for being the same game released for the 100th time. However what those people seem to miss is the that this version of Ocarina of Time is portable and playable wherever you go, and with beautifully updated graphics to boot. In fact the graphics pretty much bring the game's artwork to life, making everything lookMany people complain about this game not adding any new items/dungeons or for being the same game released for the 100th time. However what those people seem to miss is the that this version of Ocarina of Time is portable and playable wherever you go, and with beautifully updated graphics to boot. In fact the graphics pretty much bring the game's artwork to life, making everything look like the original artist intended them to look.

Other changes include a Boss Battle mode which is nice for people who either want to test how fast they can beat a certain boss or those who simply just want to replay their favorite boss/es. Also the added Master Quest has been changed, making it a fresh experience for those who have already played the Master Quest, by mirroring the game (left is now right and vice versa) and having the enemies do twice the damage. Aside from the big aforementioned changes, alot of little tweaks went into the game as well. The menu no longer requires you to press start and interrupt the game to switch your items, now you can simply navigate your menu on the bottom screen thanks to an easy interface. You can also now use up to 4 items, instead of just 3 like in the original game, with 2 being tied to buttons and 2 being tied to the touch screen. You can also see the notes for any song your playing on the Ocarina, so should you get stumped or forget you can easily see what the right notes are. They've also even added a feature where you can get hints for how to solve a puzzle should you want help.

Now, having gone over the changes, let's discuss the cons of this version of the game. If you want to climb on top of say a block, the controls aren't too responsive. You will have to run into the block for about 2-3 seconds before it gives you the option to climb which is an odd thing indeed. Another thing that's odd control wise is using Z-targeting for long periods of time causes cramps, unfortunately because of the size of the 3DS it can hurt your hand after 2-4 hours of play depending on how often you use Z-targeting. These are minor annoyances however and don't end up bothering me too much, though the Z-targeting might affect those who play longer than I do. For me the most annoying thing about this particular version of the game is using the Ocarina. It's pretty simple to activate the Ocarina, a special touch screen button is made specially for it so you don't have to sacrifice one of your 4 item slots. However the buttons used for the notes of the songs ensure that old fans and newcomers won't remember how to play a single song. Remembering buttons corresponding to a direction,up down left right, and the "A" button for playing songs is fairly easy. However in this game the songs use the "L" and "R" shoulder buttons as well as "X, A,Y" is not simple to learn at all, and there is no pattern I can think of to make it simple to remember. What saves this issue from being really annoying is the ability, that I mentioned above, to look at notes for a song as you play it. However even with that feature it's still pretty annoying.

Now don't let the few control annoyances I mentioned dissuade you, there are only a handful of situations where they become truly noticeable flaws. The game is still as masterful as ever, with more content packed into it than any other version of the game and better visuals than all the other versions as well. If you want the definitive version this is it. Or if you're like me and want to experience your favorite game on the go then this is also it.

(I only wished some of the characters got as much attention to their details as Link and that the music was remastered to match the graphics, but those are small wishes)

Final Grade - A

1. Dec 12, 2011
    For Zelda fanatics, this re-release of one of the best Zelda titles out there seems like it could be a cash grab – but the additions, especially the great use of the 3DS graphical prowess and the 3D itself make it a must purchase for all gamers, new and old.
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    Beautiful graphics, that wonderful soundtrack, the enthralling story and that damn annoying fairy, the 3DS version has it all and is easily the best port to ever be made of the legend.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    One of the most definite games from the 90's is back better than ever. The new visuals brighten the epic adventure well, and the Master Quest is a nice add. All in all Ocarina of Time is a true classic belonging in every 3DS owner's shelf. [Aug 2011]