7.9

1. Mar 27, 2011
    I haven't finished the campaign yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. The turn based strategy shows it's predecessors, but that's not a bad thing as I've always enjoyed them. The graphics work well, but this isn't the game you are going to use to showcase the 3D of the system. The only problem is this isn't the Ghost Recon that you've played before. Treat it as a new IP and enjoy it!
  2. Mar 31, 2011
    It really is a good game. In my oppinion the best option for 3ds if you don't like fighting games.
    I feel like playing an Advance Wars title for more aged players.
    I haven't finished it yet, but it seems to be long enough.
    The images I saw from the game before buying it, aren't as nice as seeing the game on your 3ds.
  3. muu
    Apr 2, 2011
    Shadow Wars does so many things right that it is very easy to let its shortcomings slide. As a strategy game, the lack of micromanagement makes it a very good title for even those not usually into strategy titles of any sort, myself included. Being in control of a small team means you're making fewer choices, though those choices will have much heavier weight on them. This would seemShadow Wars does so many things right that it is very easy to let its shortcomings slide. As a strategy game, the lack of micromanagement makes it a very good title for even those not usually into strategy titles of any sort, myself included. Being in control of a small team means you're making fewer choices, though those choices will have much heavier weight on them. This would seem like a recipe for repetitive gameplay, but the creators have gone ahead and made levels of all sorts -- search and destroy, bomb defusion, stealth missions, and hostage rescue to name a few. Combined with the return fire mechanic you get the distinct feeling that you're guiding a skilled group of ghosts through these missions.

Where the game does fall short is the brain-dead story. Ghosts that get their cover blown due to unnecessary radio chatter, ghosts that dream of R&R on the beach... we can bury those along with the Saturday morning cartoon the scenario was obviously based on. Thankfully enough, much like a great FPS you'll forget about the story at hand when trying to help your squad survive near-insurmountable odds.

One last thing I'd like to say: ignore the senseless 'professional reviews' that will tell you the graphics are lacking or that 3D somehow adds nothing to the gameplay. For a portable SRPG the graphics are actually _very_ well done. The 3D adds a sense of board game-like weight to the world, and makes detecting elevation changes on the fly very easy. Damage modifiers for height does exist, so this criticism is at best silly; you'll find yourself positioning your sniper well in the higher difficulties, because that extra point of damage can often make or break the mission.
  4. Jun 28, 2012
    As an adult, this is THE best 3DS game I've played (even after Super Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 7, etc.!) for all the following reasons:
    1) Multiple characters to pick from with various weapons and powers
    2) Large number of campaigns - I've played countless hours, and am still playing 3) There's some strategy involved in picking right characters and weapons for missions, but not to the
    1) Multiple characters to pick from with various weapons and powers
    3) There's some strategy involved in picking right characters and weapons for missions, but not to the point that it's painful and onerous
    4) Controls are fantastic and easy to follow
    5) Each mission is can be saved at any point in time so you can save before taking certain risks

Although I didn't pay the full retail price for it, I would happily have done so without a thought. BUY IT if you haven't yet!
  5. Apr 10, 2011
    Going into this I was expecting a first person extravaganza but instead got a top down strategy game. It was a pleasant surprise to be honest. Leveling up can use some work and when more people get the 3DS online should be great. I highly recommend this title, hands down the best game out so far.
  6. May 7, 2011
    Although the story-line lacks an intriguing depth, and there's not cut-scenes to really add to the Ghost Recon formula, the strategical gameplay (similar to Advance Wars) and tactical prowess makes Ghost Recon a fairly enjoyable experience, with a possible sixty hours of fun to be had in the campaign mode, plus the nice addition of single console multiplayer, maybe not providing the bestAlthough the story-line lacks an intriguing depth, and there's not cut-scenes to really add to the Ghost Recon formula, the strategical gameplay (similar to Advance Wars) and tactical prowess makes Ghost Recon a fairly enjoyable experience, with a possible sixty hours of fun to be had in the campaign mode, plus the nice addition of single console multiplayer, maybe not providing the best multiplayer, but making it highly convenient to play with friends and family. Expand
  7. May 11, 2011
    While the graphics aren't much of anything that couldn't be accomplished on the DS and the plot is pretty easy to anticipate, this is still the best launch title you can find for 3DS in my opinion, narrowly beating out SSFIV3D when vying fir my time. 3D is only really a boon to cover situations but the great mix of Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles style gameplay makes every levelWhile the graphics aren't much of anything that couldn't be accomplished on the DS and the plot is pretty easy to anticipate, this is still the best launch title you can find for 3DS in my opinion, narrowly beating out SSFIV3D when vying fir my time. 3D is only really a boon to cover situations but the great mix of Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles style gameplay makes every level interesting. again, the skill tree for each character has only a single route but it can be fun to load all your points onto you favorite character. As far as game games go this is the best you can buy on 3DS. Although I usually rush right through to the finish of games I got 26 hours out of this little gem. Well done. Expand
  8. May 15, 2011
    Got this game on a whim, because of a bundle deal from Gamestop. The idea of playing a Tactics game early on the 3DS lifespan interested me and it was pretty cheap anyway.
    To my surprise, the game ended up being one of the best Tactics games I've ever played, with interesting features like Return Fire and an intuitive way to deal with character upgrades(instead of experience-based, accomplishment based).
    As many have already said, the plot lacks depth, but the game isn't meant to be played as a proper RPG. The fun is in beating the stages from the story mode and then the skirmish missions.
    Truly a masterpiece, very good even without considering the fact it's a game from the initial batch of releases.
  9. May 30, 2011
    I was a bit unsure of whether to get this game. I have played games like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem in the past and have really enjoyed them, but for some reason, modern gaming has made me only buy a game if it has good online multiplayer, good graphics and a good story....turns out neither of these things are needed to make this one of the best launch titles for the 3ds, it will keepI was a bit unsure of whether to get this game. I have played games like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem in the past and have really enjoyed them, but for some reason, modern gaming has made me only buy a game if it has good online multiplayer, good graphics and a good story....turns out neither of these things are needed to make this one of the best launch titles for the 3ds, it will keep you occupied for ages and the gameplay is extremely addictive! Worth every penny! Expand
  10. Nov 8, 2011
    It was quite repetitive, but the slow addition and accumulation of game concepts were good. The 3d was pronounced, which was good. My two complaints with the game were these, firstly, the game has a horrible story. Actually, one of the worst I've seen. However, since the story does not mix with the game, it is not a huge negative. Secondly, I experienced a couple of bugs where I had toIt was quite repetitive, but the slow addition and accumulation of game concepts were good. The 3d was pronounced, which was good. My two complaints with the game were these, firstly, the game has a horrible story. Actually, one of the worst I've seen. However, since the story does not mix with the game, it is not a huge negative. Secondly, I experienced a couple of bugs where I had to restart the level. I look at the game favorably though, so I recomend getting it for any stategy game fan owning a 3ds. Expand
  11. Jan 15, 2012
    Maybe it isn't the best at graphics (not even the 3D effect) and its multiplayer mode is really poor (only one 3DS for two players), but it's a surprising game with good sound effects, interesting story and a fun mixture between tactical gameplay and classical RPG character improvement system. A must have for tactical games fans and those who want to play something different on their 3DS.
  12. Jun 9, 2012
    Excellent turn based strategy game. I thoroughly enjoyed it and played it to its completion along with its challenge missions. I had many hours of fun with this one and I definitely recommend it especially with its reduced price. I hope they make a sequel with some online options.
  13. Jul 11, 2013
    This game is so amazing. Like when you start playing you cant get off. One of my friends thought it looked like crap only because it wasn't FPS but whatever. I love how you have to have use strategy it makes the game a lot more fun. I haven't finished the campaign yet but so far its really fun. I gave it a 9 because of the multiplayer because its old school there's no connection you haveThis game is so amazing. Like when you start playing you cant get off. One of my friends thought it looked like crap only because it wasn't FPS but whatever. I love how you have to have use strategy it makes the game a lot more fun. I haven't finished the campaign yet but so far its really fun. I gave it a 9 because of the multiplayer because its old school there's no connection you have to share the same 3ds. It would have got a 10 if it had online multiplayer. Overall I give it a 9 because they did a really good job on it. Expand
  14. May 22, 2014
    Even years after launch, this game stands up tall. Brilliantly addictive gameplay, and still there's nothing else on 3DS that comes close. Shame there's no sequel. 10/10

1. Jan 24, 2013
    I enjoyed the characters, I enjoyed the strategy, there's a ludicrous amount of content, and there's even pass-the-handheld multiplayer for those into that sort of thing. Apart from the less-than-sizzling looks, this one's a must-have for any turn-based strat fan with a 3DS.
  2. Oct 20, 2011
    One of the best games in 3DS release. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars offers enjoyable turn based action with a diverse squad and tactically enjoyable terrain. I like it a lot! [May 2011]
  3. Aug 19, 2011
    While it might not be the most pleasant-looking game or have a ton of depth, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is still enjoyable and at its best when played in small doses.