VVVVVV 3DS

8.0

1. Jul 18, 2013
    VVVVVV is a 2D retro platformer with a difference. In this day and age, there are many different takes on the core platforming idea, but VVVVVV stands out as two things: 1, a very innovative platformer, and 2, the one with the weirdest name. There is no jump button- instead, you must flip gravity. This adds a different level of thinking to the challenges. Among the most frequentlyVVVVVV is a 2D retro platformer with a difference. In this day and age, there are many different takes on the core platforming idea, but VVVVVV stands out as two things: 1, a very innovative platformer, and 2, the one with the weirdest name. There is no jump button- instead, you must flip gravity. This adds a different level of thinking to the challenges. Among the most frequently appearing obstacles are platforms that disappear after you touch them, moving enemies, and... that's it. It may sound very simple, but VVVVVV manages to do a hell of a lot with some very basic ideas. Remember, you're flipping gravity, not jumping, so your tecnique will be different to a normal platformer. But VVVVVV does suffer from a lack of different obstacles. Too soon it starts getting old. Clearly, the developer thought this would be made up for by a ridiculously high difficulty level. And that's the big problem: VVVVVV just gets so hard that you're dying hundreds of times on one little segment. Sure, there's an invincibility option, but then, you find yourself in a situation where you have to quit. This could have been an awesome game without the stupidly high difficulty. Now I'm stuck halfway through with no way of proceeding, and wondering if it really was worth the price. The visuals are also where VVVVVV lacks- Mutant Mudds is an example of a retro platformer that can still look good- and VVVVVV's graphics are even worse with 3D on. You can hardly make out any 3D at all, but what's instantly visible is a weird ghosting effect. So the visuals aren't good, but the soundtrack is excellent classic videogame music. Considering all, VVVVVV is a good game held back by unnecessarily difficult design. Expand
  2. Aug 27, 2012
    VVVVVV is an awesome game for what it is, but the 3D version has too little to set it apart from the original release.

The Good: The same from the original PC version: a compelling hardcore-retro blast. The Bad: Nothing special about 3D effects; a bit overpriced. VVVVVV was released a couple years ago as an indie PC project and it's been praised (rightfully) everywhere ever since

The Bad: Nothing special about 3D effects; a bit overpriced.

VVVVVV was released a couple years ago as an indie PC project and it's been praised (rightfully) everywhere ever since as a nice example on how simple concepts can be put to good use when it comes to making an interesting game regardless of its assumed low profile.

Now it's up to the fight again as a downloadable good at the Nintendo eShop and here's the question: does the new version deserve a try?

Well, if you're not familiar with the game (more details in the original review) here's what VVVVVV IS: a hardcore-retro-action-platformer blast that achieves a rare balance in the challenging/compelling combo. A single action button allows you to flip your character from the ground to the ceiling through manipulating gravity, and that's the core mechanic of an Atari 2600-like Metroid (given the maps and characters/items to find) with plenty of spikes for you to get pierced in the way.
    Despite being short (it takes around 2 hours to finish with all items) it's easy to recommend VVVVVV for its own merits to anyone with a retro/hardcore itch to scratch.

But... What's up with the 3D version? Well, the visual rehash is nothing more that a simple coat of paint--the dialogue boxes and a couple menus pop-up from inside the screen but that's it; aside that there are a bunch of new player levels outside the main campaign... but they feel just like more of the same since in most cases the designers' approach was only to push the hardcore boundaries of the challenges even further.

After all, is this VVVVVV worth or not? As said at the beginning of the review it is a good game for its own merits; but given the eShop steep price tag (60% higher than the Steam version) this version is only a good option for those who have the 3DS as their platform of choice or would like to try it in short bursts on the go.
  3. Jul 18, 2012
    Definitly fun for a while, and then that fun turned in a torture chamber that slowly fed me to the wolves. I mean i just GENERALLY didn't like the game after a awhile- I mean, come'on developers throw me a bone. What? my score is gonna drop the average a bit? Well make a better game the next time.
  4. Mar 10, 2012
    A really fun game to play but its invincibility mode is a cheat to the game. If you do not use this mode it is a pure adventure game. It can be a hard game for young gamers due to its difficulty.
  5. Feb 27, 2012
    I liked the novel feeling that I got from this game. But, and maybe I'm just old, it wasn't long before I wasn't enjoying the endless deaths while I tried to do some of the puzzles. So I reduced the speed. And some of the rooms were still infuriating. So then I reduced the speed all the way. And now I'm still stuck in some room. Now I haven't played the game in a couple weeks and kindaI liked the novel feeling that I got from this game. But, and maybe I'm just old, it wasn't long before I wasn't enjoying the endless deaths while I tried to do some of the puzzles. So I reduced the speed. And some of the rooms were still infuriating. So then I reduced the speed all the way. And now I'm still stuck in some room. Now I haven't played the game in a couple weeks and kinda wish I'd just saved my $6 or whatever it was. Expand
  6. Feb 21, 2012
    This game brings back memories of nostalgia from the 9-Bit graphics and music. The gameplay was awesome and fun...until you get to the point of staleness. After playing for a bit the music gets SOOOOO annoying and the constant dying gets to you :'(... ;). However, this game is definitely worth $7.99. I recommend you pick this eShop title up :) 7/10
  7. Jan 17, 2012
    meh, go buy a real game, or a better downloadable game like pushmo, should be a doller cheaper. this review should be longer, la la la, up in smoke pop goes the culture, the tension blew it up

1. Aug 20, 2012
    Take away anyone of its gameplay elements, and VVVVVV will crumble. But, as it is, it's one hell of a game, difficult but not frustrating, innovative but simple.
  2. Games Master UK
    Jun 25, 2012
    Razor sharp platforming and toe-tapping chiptunes keep you coming back. [Aug 2012, p.80]
  3. Nintendo Gamer