Witch & Hero 3DS

7.2

1. Feb 4, 2014
    I don't know why but this game is so much fun! Its a game to play when your board and it has amazing controls. The graphics for some reason make me love the game even more. Maybe the story is lacking but the gameplay is wonderful. I love the game and hope to see more games from the publishers
  2. Sep 25, 2014
    Don't listen to the negative reviews. I have strong taste in games and this is still in my top ten list of 3DS games. And I've played over 148 of the most popular 3DS games.
    Witch and Hero is addicting in the fact that it's a strategy game. It also has a shop, almost like grinding for items in other games, but in this one you feel like you're actually doing something. You play as Hero. Witch has been trapped in stone due to the evil known as Medusa. By running into monsters, you just bump into them and that decreases health. But what monster should you kill first to avoid them destroying your Witch? By defeating monsters you get Gold, Silver, and Bronze for the shop. You also get rare power ups and blood to "revive" the Witch for a short time. The Witch has two attacks when you revive her. Tornado and Fireball. Your main objective is to defeat the enemies to prevent them from killing your Witch. In later levels, the difficulty increases and is really hectic.
    The game is pixel art style, and I actually don't think it would work any other way. It looks sharp on the 3DS's screen. The chiptunes are fine. I can't remember if there was background music, but I liked the sound effects.
    The only gripe I have with the game is that the grammar (in like directions and story) is horrible.
  3. Mar 3, 2014
    For what it is, this game is very fun when you want to play a cute little indie game to pass the time. The leveling system is decent, and it provides enough frustration to want to keep playing, but not so much that it's annoying. I recommend if you've got some extra money in your 3DS wallet.
  4. Apr 28, 2014
    I love this game! I think it's very fun... although i STILL haven't beaten medusa! (the lasers, man!)

This is primarily an ACTION game, but it can also be very meditative to play it, because the controls and gameplay are quite simple. Also, i feel like it is good for your brain, especially if you are using the Fireball with the witch, because you are actively having to think about

Also, i feel like it is good for your brain, especially if you are using the Fireball with the witch, because you are actively having to think about controlling two characters simultaneously.

There is a small bit of grinding required to get enough power to beat some of the middle levels, but it isn't too bad.

Overall, this is a fun game to just let your mind wander while still focusing on something (if that makes sense).

Also, i must say that the retro music and graphics are appealing to me. And the final boss fight is super-epic!
  5. Sep 21, 2015
    Very simple game, but very fun and a little burst of a good time. FInished the 20 levels in about 4 to 6h, got much better and came up with some cool techniques. Recommend, given the low price
  6. Mar 9, 2014
    I downloaded the demo when it came out, and didn't like/understand it. When I upgraded my SD card, I downloaded every eShop demo, and tried it again, specifically to show somebody how bad it was. I ended up eating my own words. Actually playing the game, I found it surprisingly enthralling.
  7. Feb 20, 2014
    It's a fun little time waster. For the price you can manage to have some fun with it. The game is simple but there is some skill involved with how you approach the enemies and which abilities to level up. Go though the demo first, if you get to the end and you still don't like it, you won't. I liked it though.
  8. Sep 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An okay game. Its very short and there's not much variety to it. You can beat the whole thing in a couple of hours. I'd say it's worth $1.50 if you have some extra eshop cash to waste and its on sale. My one big problem with it is that it suffers from last-level-itis and the final boss battle is too different from what you've been doing the rest of the game. The idea is the same, you run around bumping into the last boss to hurt it, but the difference is that you have only one life, so instead of hitting things, you're trying to dodge them. I was pretty happy until the last boss, then it just got annoying. Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2014
    It´s an extremely simplistic game but i´m really impressed by how addictive it can be. An original and fun ultrasimple action-rpg/tower defense, for the prize (4$) it´s worth while.
  10. Nov 1, 2015
    Here's the thing about me- I don't mind grinding. So, when I had to grind(which trust me is unavoidable) I didn't really mind.There was one thing, however, that really annoyed me. At the end of the game, at the last boss, said boss does an incredibly annoying move that makes what could have been a fair and genuinly fun battle turn rancid, leaving you only wanting to complete the game justHere's the thing about me- I don't mind grinding. So, when I had to grind(which trust me is unavoidable) I didn't really mind.There was one thing, however, that really annoyed me. At the end of the game, at the last boss, said boss does an incredibly annoying move that makes what could have been a fair and genuinly fun battle turn rancid, leaving you only wanting to complete the game just because you've come so far. Said move is basically a laser that can bounce of walls and sticks around for about 8 seconds. The problem, however, is just that when the boss's health is low enough, the boss shoots out 5 lasers before teleporting to another area to shoot out another 5 laser and repeat. As such, the screen starts becoming absolutely cluttered that it pretty much turns unfair. Now, I should note a few things: the screen your playing on is 240p, the game is 8-bit, the laser are not thin and take up a couple of pixels, if you are hurt by a laser there is still knockback, most likely when you're hit by a laser you will be knocked back into another laser and potentially more, and the boss still has quite some health left even when you get to this point. If the game had set knockback, i'm sure the boss battle would be much more do-able. Also, aside from the fact that at the last second the game becomes more of a bullet hell, I had my weapon, shield, and speed maxed out. For all I know the game could get a lot easier if I level up more, but that's just it- IF I level up more. That's pretty bad game design if you're pretty much forced to grind a lot at the end of the game. Then again I could just spend the several next hours attempting to kill the boss until I've wasted the entire day. Anyway, if you don't like grinding and if you're the type of person, like me, who hate it when a horribly designed (final) boss can ruin your entire experience, don't get this game. Expand
  11. Dec 30, 2013
    You're in a closed field, bumping into enemies to kill them. You usually get killed by enemies attacking a witch from all sides. Sounds fun, right? Correct answer: NO.
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    this game is terrible. all of the levels are the same except some have different backgrounds. your hero attacks by bumping into people. what's stupid about this is that you lose health when you do this and wipeout constantly. your hero is carrying a sword and shield and doesn't even use them. this game is dull and pointless. wouldn't even buy if it was 10 cents.

1. Games Master UK
    May 30, 2013
    A disaster. [July 2013, p.79]
  2. Apr 30, 2013
    Variety could have really done wonders here. Even with a small budget, tiny nuances like sword animations, items in the shop, and mini-boss depth could have gone a long way. Witch and Hero takes a simple, charming concept and somehow manages to make it repetitive, dry, and unfun.
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    It may be simple and it may rely far too heavily on its lush 8-bit visuals, but Witch & Hero provides you with some simple, silly fun on your 3DS in short bursts.