5.9

1. Mar 14, 2014
    I'm sad,because I bought this game thinking it would be great,but it's not.The levels are too easy.The look is awful,the first one in snes is amazing!!this one is a bad,really bad game.40 euro spent in a game that it does not deserve it.A waste of money :(
    Since December last year,3ds has not any good game,3 months of nothing at all,and the future looks bad,only Smash looks good.I'm start
    to think in buying another handheld :( Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2014
    Hmm, from what I have played the game so far (soon finished Wolrd 1 :P), I can say that in my opinion most of the review scores seems as far fetched as they go. The gameplay's stabile and the controls feels nice, very similar to the original in a good way. And the musics aren't that bad, expect for those random toy-like instruments including tracks. And the level design, I feel it is working nicely and there are new things in every new level as there should be. Even though there isn't that much of new gameplay elements, it is still good and could go for even the "classic Nintendo quality" as for ensured entertainment factor. I found IGN's review much closer to the truth of the quality of the game.

And by the way, the graphics aren't even close as bad as they look in the trailers, in those Yoshi looked like some kind of vague polygon mess, but in the game he looks even cute. Overall I would give it a 7.5 from my current exprience of the game.
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    There is nothing "New" about Yoshi's New Island. Nintendo brought nothing innovated to the franchise and the artwork and especially the music is so childish that only kids under 4 would like it. After one minute I turned off the volume. I wished that Nintendo would have created a different soundtrack for older fans.
  4. Mar 14, 2014
    Great game with great nostalgia from the original. Games dont need to be punishingly difficult or 40+ hours long to be enjoyable. The platforming is great, the music is great and the visuals look much better than online screenshots. This is a great way to spend 10+ hours, especially if you want all the collectibles.
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    This is the worst game ever! Seriously, it doesn't have any charisma at all! The music SUCKS, it is just toooo boring and monotone, just like the level design: simply uninspired. Like the devs just threw the game out with no will. You will feel the same way when you play this game, soulless, if you played the original Yoshi's Island for SNES: while that game is full of life, this one is full of death boringness, considering this game is a sequel to it. I DONT recommend it. Expand
  6. Mar 14, 2014
    This game has its own flow and pace, when you set aside your expectations and delve into its wonderful world and mechanics, there is a lot to love about Yoshi's New Island.

The lack of checkpoints, the sudden death traps and the difficulty of finding each collectible item lengthen the game unnecessarily. If you just want to walk through the game it's a relaxing, albeit short,
    experience. If you try to collect and explore everything it can get rather frustrating.

Once you decided that this game can never live up to being a true sequel to the SNES Yoshi's Island, but rather a game being very akin to Yoshi's Story on N64, Yoshi's New Island is a very good way to spend your time and you'll find a lot to love about it.
  7. Mar 14, 2014
    A wonderful game. I'll cut straight to the point and say the music isn't really that great. It sucks, even. But the graphics are colorful and fun, the gameplay is tight, and challenge is where it's due. Some other reviews are saying the game is a skip, but skipping this one might cause regret.
  8. Mar 14, 2014
    Yoshi controls like garbage for some reason. How is this possible.

The second you turn this game on and hear that title screen music, your soul is crushed. Then the intro cutscene story starts and you're like, "this is a little cute, it's not perfect but maybe there's hope..." Then you look at the graphics and how everything animates on the map and hope is lost.

Seriously though, the
    controls suck. There's this weird delay when you pull out an egg (upon revisiting, this is only when you're standing still). There's no run button and the build up to Yoshi's full speed is too slow.

Why did I do this to myself. The reviews warned me about almost every aspect of this game. But they didn't tell me I'd hate the controls. I do.
  9. Mar 14, 2014
    Just the same game you have played a million times before but less fun. Nintendo seem to be afraid to make new IPs and new experiences. If this is your first time playing a yoshi's island however, then it's an average game at best. Much like the recent Donkey Kong.
  10. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is what Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels was to the original Super Mario Bros. It sticks so closely to the template of its predecessor, that it ends up feeling more like an expansion pack than a brand new game.

The whole experience will feel very familiar to Yoshi's Island fans, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, the first game was a masterpiece.

I don't
    see why the critics feel that the lack of innovation is a shot in the foot for Yoshi's New Island. Super Mario Galaxy 2 got fantastic reviews, and it barely differentiated itself from Super Mario Galaxy 1. So why does Yoshi's New Island get bashed for doing the same thing? It's like ordering a delicious, juicy steak at a restaurant, loving it, then coming back a week later to order the same steak, and this time, you hate it. It doesn't make sense at all.

And as for the art style, it looks fine. Think of it as Yoshi's Island if it were translated into Playstation 1 pseudo-3D graphics. I can't really illustrate that to you, but take a look at some videos of the game in motion, and you'll see what I mean. It's not a bad visual-style, and to me, it's kind of reminiscient of Yoshi's Story on the N64.

For those of you out there who are on the fence about buying this game after seeing such mixed reviews, I'd urge you to disregard them, and try the game out for yourself. Being a huge fan of the orginal Yoshi's Island, I was just as worried as everyone else was when this game was announced. I wasn't confident at all that it could compare to the original, and I'd already been burnt by Yoshi's Island DS, which was a major disappointment for me. Thankfully, I'm happy to say that Yoshi's New island comes very close to the greatness of the original. Closer than I ever imagined it would. So please do not hesitate to pick this up. Do yourself a favor, and ignore the critics who are lambasting the visual style, or complaining about the level design, because as far as I'm concerned, those complaints are completely un-founded. Yoshi's New Island is a blast to play, there's lots of content, lots of hidden secrets, and it comes remarkably close to the greatness of the original game. I couldn't ask for anything more.
  11. Mar 15, 2014
    Not bad, not good. We didn't expect anything better from artoon.
    Of course been a sequel of one of the best videogames of all time made it have such a bad user score.
    Yoshi's Island was one of the first console games I've ever played back when I was 5.
  12. Mar 16, 2014
    This game definitely copies a lot of ideas from the first Yoshi's Island, and the fact that Yoshi's Island DS was basically a sequel to this game says something. The music is not as bad as people think, even though the kazoo instrument in pretty annoying at times. Overall this is a good game, but not the sequel we expected from DS.
  13. Mar 16, 2014
    I was really excited for this game as I loved the SNES original but after reading the reviews I was really worried it was going to be terrible. To be honest after watching some of the videos the art style looked quite bad but I thought I'd give it a go (for Nostalgias sake). Boy am I glad I did because I disagree with most of what has been criticised about this game. The art style actually pretty neat and it doesn't look nearly as bad as the videos make it out to be. It is actually rather cute and looks like the whole game has been hand drawn. The game play is solid and sure there isn't too much "New" about it but it's classic Yoshi gameplay and that's why we all play Yoshi games right? Egg throwing, hidden secrets, flutter jumping etc. The music is the same tune repeated over again in different ways but it is very catchy. The game oozes Nintendo charm and that's what keeps Nintendo fans coming back for more. Definitely not an instant classic but a fun game none the less. If you enjoyed the original Yoshi's Island then you will enjoy this game! Expand
  14. Mar 16, 2014
    A great successor to the original Yoshi's Island on the SNES. Whilst slow and simple to play with a fairly even difficulty throughout, the real joy comes from finding all the collectibles and unlocking the harder bonus levels. Not sure what people ask for when they call for "innovation", they probably don't know themselves... This is a solid addition to the franchise and sure to not disappoint veteran fans and newbies alike. Expand
  15. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is not the best, nor it is the worst in the series. Yoshi's New Island attempts to bring something New and Fresh to the series, and at times it feels good, but other times its like a shell in your eggs. If you grew up and love Yoshi from the Super Nintendo days, this game will feel familiar, and bring back a flood gate of memories, but if you are an older gamer, and this is your first taste of the Yoshi series maybe it should be avoided. The color, texture, and sound are cute, but after a while can feel cheap, and the feeling that something more should have been done pops up in the back of your head around the third world, boss battles are too simple, and the "health" system, which is the same as the previous titles, feels old and outdated and not fresh like Yoshi's island DS did back when it came out. I suggest picking it up, but don't expect to play it for a long time at once, you will feel tired, and think you are doing the same thing over, and over, and over again. Play in small chunks and remember this is more kid friendly. They will look back at this as the first Yoshi game they played and will get that fuzzy feeling we get when we remember when Yoshi first appeared on our TV screens, and the joyful memories we still have today. Expand
  16. Mar 20, 2014
    I for one thoroughly enjoyed the re-visitation to Yoshi's Island. I thought the over all concepts presented within level design, art design, and story design were all very appropriate. The graphics were very child like, which was a perfect designation due to the overall theme, and environment of the game. The very same applies for the audio. The music was simplistic, and the Yoshi sound effects were immensely amusing. Gameplay very well in terms of mechanics and over all layout, everything ran smooth and the core level design had a strong direction. The game in essence was not incredibly difficult, nor was it incredibly easy, though the boss fights did feel a little bit jaded, which made the strategies behind they very intuitive. I very much enjoyed this game for all that it's worth and cannot wait for further projects from Nintendo to be released later throughout the year. Expand
  17. Mar 18, 2014
    I wasn't expecting to see a ground-breaking game of the Yoshi series that would be completely different of everything that I have saw from the series before. I was expecting a fun experience. And this game was what I was expecting. This game is fun to play, the art style is amazing, even though I think it looks kinda messy at some points. The game plays fine, but nothing to different from the previous one. See the problem here is that there isn't nothing different. It is fun, yes, but it doesn't brings anything new to the table. Yoshi's New Island feels more like a remake than a sequel, but if you just want a fun 3DS platformer, then why not check this out? Expand
  18. Apr 13, 2014
    I have never played a Yoshi’s Island game in my life. I know, it sounds bad!!

Before playing Yoshi’s New Island, I read up on some of the reviews already written up on the interweb, and was staggered to see so many low scores. After seeing these negative reviews, I decided that I needed to see for myself. Let’s just say I’m glad I took the risk.

Yoshi and Baby Mario are back in an
    adventure to bring peace back to Yoshi’s Island, and save Baby Luigi from Baby Bowser and his minions.

After the events of the original Yoshi’s Island, the Stork finds out that he brought the two bros to the wrong parents! It’s up to the Yoshi’s to search for the rightful parents. Also, Kamek wants to steal the babies now that they are without a home once again, so you’ll have to worry about him and his gang.

You assume control of the kindhearted Yoshi’s that inhabit the island, taking turns carrying Baby Mario through each level. If you take damage, Baby Mario will fall off your back and float in a bubble until you catch him. Be careful; upon losing Baby Mario, a counter will appear on the screen. If you can’t make it on time, Baby Bowser’s minions will capture the little guy, forcing you to start over from the beginning of the current level. At the end of each level, the Yoshi you played as will pass Baby Mario to the next Yoshi, who is ready to dive into the next level. Nice teamwork, guys! The only difference in the Yoshis is their color; they all control identically.

New to this installment are the Yoshi transformations. When passing through a transformation gate, Yoshi changes form. Whether you are a drill, helicopter, or submarine, you control your movement with the system’s built in gyrosensor (motion controls). This is reminiscent of Yoshi’s Topsy Turvy, a GBA game.

What’s a good game without an equally thrilling multiplayer mode? Yoshi’s New Island features a number of mini games to play with your friends over local wireless. Like any good Nintendo handheld game, you are able to play with your friends via Download Play even if they don’t have the game. This is always a welcome addition to a multiplayer, and it also helps owners of the game get their friends to buy it as well.

This is the best-looking Yoshi’s Island game to date, hands down. The hand-drawn, storybook-esque visuals are a key ingredient in the game’s formula, and they are a perfect fit for the glasses-free visuals that the Nintendo 3DS provides. As is the case with most 3DS games, screenshots just don’t do this game justice; it looks at least 95% better in person.

The music matches the game’s playful vibe, with what seems to be an orchestra of kazoos in the background. Remember the Van Gough inspired Starry Night level in New Super Mario Bros. U? Well, the same level of creativity was used in this game. That my friend, is a very good thing, trust me.

Nintendo wants YOU to share your gameplay data with them

Wait. Nintendo actually cares about what their fans think? That’s what the new SpotPass feature in the game would suggest. You are able to opt in or out to have your gameplay data automatically sent to the developers at Nintendo for research and ideas for future development.

How many people played the game all the way to the end? How important were the Easter Eggs and secret passageways to the players? What was the most common strategy used to get to the end of each level?

Thanks to the game’s SpotPass feature, you, the player, will answer these questions and more. This may not seem like all that big of a deal now, but if Nintendo continues to monitor gameplay (with the player’s consent of course) this could lead to more streamlined gameplay in the future, which means better games for us.

As someone visiting the island of Yoshis for the first time, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and feel that the developers at Arzest did a fantastic job at adding new features, while staying true to the Yoshi’s Island series. I can’t compare Yoshi’s New Island to the other two games on SNES and DS, but I can tell you that it won’t disappoint as a standalone title on 3DS.

I look forward to finding all of the Easter eggs and other extras during my second playthrough.

1. Most will find something to like, but it's not even close to the classic it apes. [Apr 2014, p.84]
  2. Apr 12, 2014
    The more lacklustre Yoshi’s Island games there are, the more Nintendo continue to suggest that the original was a glorious one-off, released when the company was approaching the very peak of its creativity.
  3. Apr 9, 2014
    A reliable, friendly and sumptuous romp through another beautifully built Nintendo world, and yet another great reason to own a 3DS. It’s the machine that keeps on giving.