6.0

1. Mar 14, 2014
    Hmm, from what I have played the game so far (soon finished Wolrd 1 :P), I can say that in my opinion most of the review scores seems as far fetched as they go. The gameplay's stabile and the controls feels nice, very similar to the original in a good way. And the musics aren't that bad, expect for those random toy-like instruments including tracks. And the level design, I feel it is working nicely and there are new things in every new level as there should be. Even though there isn't that much of new gameplay elements, it is still good and could go for even the "classic Nintendo quality" as for ensured entertainment factor. I found IGN's review much closer to the truth of the quality of the game.

And by the way, the graphics aren't even close as bad as they look in the trailers, in those Yoshi looked like some kind of vague polygon mess, but in the game he looks even cute. Overall I would give it a 7.5 from my current exprience of the game.
  2. Mar 14, 2014
    I'm sad,because I bought this game thinking it would be great,but it's not.The levels are too easy.The look is awful,the first one in snes is amazing!!this one is a bad,really bad game.40 euro spent in a game that it does not deserve it.A waste of money :(
    Since December last year,3ds has not any good game,3 months of nothing at all,and the future looks bad,only Smash looks good.I'm start
    to think in buying another handheld :( Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    There is nothing "New" about Yoshi's New Island. Nintendo brought nothing innovated to the franchise and the artwork and especially the music is so childish that only kids under 4 would like it. After one minute I turned off the volume. I wished that Nintendo would have created a different soundtrack for older fans.
  4. Mar 14, 2014
    Great game with great nostalgia from the original. Games dont need to be punishingly difficult or 40+ hours long to be enjoyable. The platforming is great, the music is great and the visuals look much better than online screenshots. This is a great way to spend 10+ hours, especially if you want all the collectibles.
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    This is the worst game ever! Seriously, it doesn't have any charisma at all! The music SUCKS, it is just toooo boring and monotone, just like the level design: simply uninspired. Like the devs just threw the game out with no will. You will feel the same way when you play this game, soulless, if you played the original Yoshi's Island for SNES: while that game is full of life, this one is full of death boringness, considering this game is a sequel to it. I DONT recommend it. Expand
  6. Mar 14, 2014
    Yoshi controls like garbage for some reason. How is this possible.

The second you turn this game on and hear that title screen music, your soul is crushed. Then the intro cutscene story starts and you're like, "this is a little cute, it's not perfect but maybe there's hope..." Then you look at the graphics and how everything animates on the map and hope is lost.

Seriously though, the
    controls suck. There's this weird delay when you pull out an egg (upon revisiting, this is only when you're standing still). There's no run button and the build up to Yoshi's full speed is too slow.

Why did I do this to myself. The reviews warned me about almost every aspect of this game. But they didn't tell me I'd hate the controls. I do.
  7. Mar 14, 2014
    This game has its own flow and pace, when you set aside your expectations and delve into its wonderful world and mechanics, there is a lot to love about Yoshi's New Island.

The lack of checkpoints, the sudden death traps and the difficulty of finding each collectible item lengthen the game unnecessarily. If you just want to walk through the game it's a relaxing, albeit short,
    experience. If you try to collect and explore everything it can get rather frustrating.

Once you decided that this game can never live up to being a true sequel to the SNES Yoshi's Island, but rather a game being very akin to Yoshi's Story on N64, Yoshi's New Island is a very good way to spend your time and you'll find a lot to love about it.
  8. Mar 14, 2014
    A wonderful game. I'll cut straight to the point and say the music isn't really that great. It sucks, even. But the graphics are colorful and fun, the gameplay is tight, and challenge is where it's due. Some other reviews are saying the game is a skip, but skipping this one might cause regret.
  9. Mar 14, 2014
    Just the same game you have played a million times before but less fun. Nintendo seem to be afraid to make new IPs and new experiences. If this is your first time playing a yoshi's island however, then it's an average game at best. Much like the recent Donkey Kong.
  10. Mar 15, 2014
    Not bad, not good. We didn't expect anything better from artoon.
    Of course been a sequel of one of the best videogames of all time made it have such a bad user score.
    Yoshi's Island was one of the first console games I've ever played back when I was 5.
  11. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is what Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels was to the original Super Mario Bros. It sticks so closely to the template of its predecessor, that it ends up feeling more like an expansion pack than a brand new game.

The whole experience will feel very familiar to Yoshi's Island fans, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, the first game was a masterpiece.

I don't
    see why the critics feel that the lack of innovation is a shot in the foot for Yoshi's New Island. Super Mario Galaxy 2 got fantastic reviews, and it barely differentiated itself from Super Mario Galaxy 1. So why does Yoshi's New Island get bashed for doing the same thing? It's like ordering a delicious, juicy steak at a restaurant, loving it, then coming back a week later to order the same steak, and this time, you hate it. It doesn't make sense at all.

And as for the art style, it looks fine. Think of it as Yoshi's Island if it were translated into Playstation 1 pseudo-3D graphics. I can't really illustrate that to you, but take a look at some videos of the game in motion, and you'll see what I mean. It's not a bad visual-style, and to me, it's kind of reminiscient of Yoshi's Story on the N64.

For those of you out there who are on the fence about buying this game after seeing such mixed reviews, I'd urge you to disregard them, and try the game out for yourself. Being a huge fan of the orginal Yoshi's Island, I was just as worried as everyone else was when this game was announced. I wasn't confident at all that it could compare to the original, and I'd already been burnt by Yoshi's Island DS, which was a major disappointment for me. Thankfully, I'm happy to say that Yoshi's New island comes very close to the greatness of the original. Closer than I ever imagined it would. So please do not hesitate to pick this up. Do yourself a favor, and ignore the critics who are lambasting the visual style, or complaining about the level design, because as far as I'm concerned, those complaints are completely un-founded. Yoshi's New Island is a blast to play, there's lots of content, lots of hidden secrets, and it comes remarkably close to the greatness of the original game. I couldn't ask for anything more.
  12. Mar 16, 2014
    A great successor to the original Yoshi's Island on the SNES. Whilst slow and simple to play with a fairly even difficulty throughout, the real joy comes from finding all the collectibles and unlocking the harder bonus levels. Not sure what people ask for when they call for "innovation", they probably don't know themselves... This is a solid addition to the franchise and sure to not disappoint veteran fans and newbies alike. Expand
  13. Mar 16, 2014
    I was really excited for this game as I loved the SNES original but after reading the reviews I was really worried it was going to be terrible. To be honest after watching some of the videos the art style looked quite bad but I thought I'd give it a go (for Nostalgias sake). Boy am I glad I did because I disagree with most of what has been criticised about this game. The art style actually pretty neat and it doesn't look nearly as bad as the videos make it out to be. It is actually rather cute and looks like the whole game has been hand drawn. The game play is solid and sure there isn't too much "New" about it but it's classic Yoshi gameplay and that's why we all play Yoshi games right? Egg throwing, hidden secrets, flutter jumping etc. The music is the same tune repeated over again in different ways but it is very catchy. The game oozes Nintendo charm and that's what keeps Nintendo fans coming back for more. Definitely not an instant classic but a fun game none the less. If you enjoyed the original Yoshi's Island then you will enjoy this game! Expand
  14. Mar 16, 2014
    This game definitely copies a lot of ideas from the first Yoshi's Island, and the fact that Yoshi's Island DS was basically a sequel to this game says something. The music is not as bad as people think, even though the kazoo instrument in pretty annoying at times. Overall this is a good game, but not the sequel we expected from DS.
  15. Apr 21, 2014
    I am very disappointed in Yoshi's New Island. I have fond memories of playing the Yoshi's Island port on the Game Boy Advanced and replayed it the weekend leading up to its direct sequel's launch. I had big expectations for Yoshi's New Island, hoping it would bring back what I loved about the original. However, Nintendo seems to have missed the mark in this respect.
    Let's start with
    what was good about the game: red coins, smiling flowers and starmen all return as collectables and nabbing all of them in every level of a world will net you a bonus level. This adds a bit of replay value and encourages poking around every nook and cranny instead of simply rushing to the goal ring at the end of the stage. The keys and locked doors also make a reappearance, further enticing the player to scour the level for that hidden winged cloud. Lastly, the art style, which is based off a myriad of mediums from oil paintings to crayons, is a treat to the eye.
    However, it seems that every good thing Yoshi's New Island has going for it, three not-so-good things are there to weigh it down. Ironically, there's not a lot of new in Yoshi's NEW Island. Every level feels like something that was in the original game, and one could be forgiven for assuming this game was simply an upscale remake at first glance. The transformations feel shoehorned and unnecessary; every transformation sequence has the player move into a doorway into another room, where they will transform into a vehicle of some type, complete the segment they needed the transformation for, then leave via another doorway as regular ol' Yoshi. Having the player go into another room where they immediately transform, but only until they leave said room breaks the flow of the game. Also, while the art style is pretty, Yoshi and some of his enemies are anything but. This gives an odd experience of seeing an ugly blob fluttering around on some gorgeous backgrounds.
    But the biggest fault with Yoshi's New Island are the teeny, tiny, almost negligible little nags that the game has. There are A LOT. It starts when the game is selected on the 3DS home screen; the game makes an annoying, squeak-toy like sound that is found nowhere in the game proper. Then there is the fact that, after returning to the game, Yoshi is sitting on the last level beaten, not the level the player has reached but has yet to beat. And those little nags are before you even start playing a level. Yoshi controls like a mess; he has an odd feeling of momentum that gives him a brief startup time before he reaches running speed, yet he stops on a dime. If the player ground pounds and then tries to move in a direction without taking their thumb off the control pad, Yoshi will just sit on the ground frozen in the warped ground pound pose. If Yoshi cancels his flutter kick before it reached its max duration he cannot flutter kick again until he reaches the ground and jumps. Annoying kazoo music starts playing if you manage to "win" on the roulette at the goal ring. And the most infuriating little nag is when Yoshi stands still and tries to throw an egg; there is a half-second animation where he turns, grabs an egg, and heaves it onto his shoulder. This half-second doesn't occur when you move and throw an egg, nor did it appear in the original game when Yoshi stood still. However this brief animation can easily mess with the player's timing when they are in areas where they cannot move, such as the many small moving platforms, and they need to hit an enemy or the like.
    In short, I cannot recommend Yoshi's New Island. It's a very bland platformer that we've all played before. What little it does have going for it is overshadowed by is flaws and every little annoying tidbit can really deter the player from wanting to pick it up after one or two hours of play.
  16. Apr 24, 2014
    Ok this game is definitely not as good as the original aesthetically, but the gameplay is pretty much the same. I don't understand how poeple could rate this game lower than Yoshis Island DS. If you don't mind the new style and visuals this game is pretty good!
  17. May 14, 2014
    No thanks!!! I am NOT getting this!!! Why did nintedo continue this series? It is so....freaking....HARD!!!!!! Why, Nintendo? Why?! WHY???????!!!!!!!!
  18. May 26, 2014
    Boring backgrounds,dull music and gimmicky motion control are few of the problems this game has. I had sort of high hopes going into this one since the SNES game Super Mario World 2 was such a masterpiece. The art was so unfitting with a Yoshi games usual colorful and uplifting backgrounds and environment.The story was generic and getting through to the end was just tedious.This was NOT $40 well spent. Expand
  19. Sep 4, 2014
    An Egg-stremely frustrating experience

Yoshi's New Island does not add anything game changing to the already established series and the game is instead a tweaking of the 19 year old original with the addition of a couple of new gimmicks. These gimmicks however do not really enhance the game and some places are even detrimental to the quality of the whole experience. One of the new
    features is the ability to eat oversized enemies and throw these massive eggs to get through areas that are blocked by walls, pipes and other various obstacles. This idea is good but it does not feel all that different to the normal sized eggs- its inclusion in the game does not make a significant difference and is a disappointment considering how much this feature was built up.
    The gameplay in the Yoshi's Island series is a twist on the normal platform genre; in addition to keeping your main character ( Yoshi) alive, you have to carry a second character ( the aforementioned Baby Mario) on the friendly dinosaurs back. If you get hit by an enemy or are damaged in any way; Baby Mario goes into a bubble, starts crying and a timer counts down. If you fail to collect Baby Mario within this time, you lose a life. Its a twist on a classic that is still a very playable idea to this day and testament to the quality of the original. This being said, Yoshi's New Island is painfully easy. It is possible to breeze through the first two worlds in half an hour as the ability to eat almost any enemy or having the chance to merely flutter jump over enemies makes the majority of the enemies in the game no challenge at all. . These collectables ( flowers, red coins and mini stars) can make the game a far longer experience as some of these, especially in the latter levels, can be quite hard to obtain.
    For non-completionists, the game can feel quite short and in comparison to other platform games ( in particular Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS), the number of worlds seems stingy.
    Another returning feature from the original game is Yoshi's ability to transform into a variety of vehicles varying from a drill, to a helicopter or a hot air balloon. However, they all use gyro controls. This is a big minus as this can be very unresponsive in sections ( in particular with the helicopter where sharp turns are needed but are never possible). The transformation idea is a good one and it does act as a good buffer between some platforming sections; if there was an option to control these transformations with buttons instead of by tilting the console, then this could have been executed far more effectively.
    Despite numerous problems with difficulty, game length, repetitiveness of bosses and a story that is very stretched ( the stork from the previous games got lost and took the previously rescued babies to the wrong house... seriously), the actual platforming in the game is very passable. The control of Yoshi is good and responsive and his flutter jump is still useful and enjoyable years after the original games release. As the game gets nearer to the end, the game does become slightly more challenging but nothing to faze seasoned platform players. As a game for children, this game is a perfect starter.
    The visuals in Yoshi's New Island are an odd change from what we are used to. I understand that by doing the graphics in a way that resembles a child's storybook, it makes the game seem colourful and exciting and they succeed by doing this in the most part. However, in the boss levels were lava reigns, the childish scheme seems out of place and this is a little disappointing. The 3D effect in the game is actually very good. Yoshi stands out from the background and looks as crisp and clean as we have ever seen him.
    The sound in Yoshi's New Island is truly baffling. The soundtrack for the original game was excellent with many memorable tunes. Reusing it here seems like a good idea until you realise that they have replaced the original instruments with kazoos, xylophones and anything else you could find in a child's playroom. The idea itself is not without merit but the execution is not good. I often found myself turning the volume down to zero because the music was just so high pitched and unenjoyable.
    The multiplayer in the game is awful. The games are laggy, take an age to load and when a game is completed, it does not even tell you who won and just says 'Play again?'. This feature feels like it was tacked on at the last minute and this is a shame as this feature could have brought the game up another level instead of bringing it down.
    Overall, Yoshi's New Island is a good platformer. The platforming sections work but there a clutch of problems elsewhere in the sound, multiplayer and difficulty departments.
    I do reviews on my Wordpress page- the video game reviewer, if you liked this, come give me a view or ten? :L
  20. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is not the best, nor it is the worst in the series. Yoshi's New Island attempts to bring something New and Fresh to the series, and at times it feels good, but other times its like a shell in your eggs. If you grew up and love Yoshi from the Super Nintendo days, this game will feel familiar, and bring back a flood gate of memories, but if you are an older gamer, and this is your first taste of the Yoshi series maybe it should be avoided. The color, texture, and sound are cute, but after a while can feel cheap, and the feeling that something more should have been done pops up in the back of your head around the third world, boss battles are too simple, and the "health" system, which is the same as the previous titles, feels old and outdated and not fresh like Yoshi's island DS did back when it came out. I suggest picking it up, but don't expect to play it for a long time at once, you will feel tired, and think you are doing the same thing over, and over, and over again. Play in small chunks and remember this is more kid friendly. They will look back at this as the first Yoshi game they played and will get that fuzzy feeling we get when we remember when Yoshi first appeared on our TV screens, and the joyful memories we still have today. Expand
  21. Mar 18, 2014
    I wasn't expecting to see a ground-breaking game of the Yoshi series that would be completely different of everything that I have saw from the series before. I was expecting a fun experience. And this game was what I was expecting. This game is fun to play, the art style is amazing, even though I think it looks kinda messy at some points. The game plays fine, but nothing to different from the previous one. See the problem here is that there isn't nothing different. It is fun, yes, but it doesn't brings anything new to the table. Yoshi's New Island feels more like a remake than a sequel, but if you just want a fun 3DS platformer, then why not check this out? Expand
  22. Mar 20, 2014
    I for one thoroughly enjoyed the re-visitation to Yoshi's Island. I thought the over all concepts presented within level design, art design, and story design were all very appropriate. The graphics were very child like, which was a perfect designation due to the overall theme, and environment of the game. The very same applies for the audio. The music was simplistic, and the Yoshi sound effects were immensely amusing. Gameplay very well in terms of mechanics and over all layout, everything ran smooth and the core level design had a strong direction. The game in essence was not incredibly difficult, nor was it incredibly easy, though the boss fights did feel a little bit jaded, which made the strategies behind they very intuitive. I very much enjoyed this game for all that it's worth and cannot wait for further projects from Nintendo to be released later throughout the year. Expand
  23. Apr 13, 2014
    I have never played a Yoshi’s Island game in my life. I know, it sounds bad!!

Before playing Yoshi’s New Island, I read up on some of the reviews already written up on the interweb, and was staggered to see so many low scores. After seeing these negative reviews, I decided that I needed to see for myself. Let’s just say I’m glad I took the risk.

Yoshi and Baby Mario are back in an
    adventure to bring peace back to Yoshi’s Island, and save Baby Luigi from Baby Bowser and his minions.

After the events of the original Yoshi’s Island, the Stork finds out that he brought the two bros to the wrong parents! It’s up to the Yoshi’s to search for the rightful parents. Also, Kamek wants to steal the babies now that they are without a home once again, so you’ll have to worry about him and his gang.

You assume control of the kindhearted Yoshi’s that inhabit the island, taking turns carrying Baby Mario through each level. If you take damage, Baby Mario will fall off your back and float in a bubble until you catch him. Be careful; upon losing Baby Mario, a counter will appear on the screen. If you can’t make it on time, Baby Bowser’s minions will capture the little guy, forcing you to start over from the beginning of the current level. At the end of each level, the Yoshi you played as will pass Baby Mario to the next Yoshi, who is ready to dive into the next level. Nice teamwork, guys! The only difference in the Yoshis is their color; they all control identically.

New to this installment are the Yoshi transformations. When passing through a transformation gate, Yoshi changes form. Whether you are a drill, helicopter, or submarine, you control your movement with the system’s built in gyrosensor (motion controls). This is reminiscent of Yoshi’s Topsy Turvy, a GBA game.

What’s a good game without an equally thrilling multiplayer mode? Yoshi’s New Island features a number of mini games to play with your friends over local wireless. Like any good Nintendo handheld game, you are able to play with your friends via Download Play even if they don’t have the game. This is always a welcome addition to a multiplayer, and it also helps owners of the game get their friends to buy it as well.

This is the best-looking Yoshi’s Island game to date, hands down. The hand-drawn, storybook-esque visuals are a key ingredient in the game’s formula, and they are a perfect fit for the glasses-free visuals that the Nintendo 3DS provides. As is the case with most 3DS games, screenshots just don’t do this game justice; it looks at least 95% better in person.

The music matches the game’s playful vibe, with what seems to be an orchestra of kazoos in the background. Remember the Van Gough inspired Starry Night level in New Super Mario Bros. U? Well, the same level of creativity was used in this game. That my friend, is a very good thing, trust me.

Nintendo wants YOU to share your gameplay data with them

Wait. Nintendo actually cares about what their fans think? That’s what the new SpotPass feature in the game would suggest. You are able to opt in or out to have your gameplay data automatically sent to the developers at Nintendo for research and ideas for future development.

How many people played the game all the way to the end? How important were the Easter Eggs and secret passageways to the players? What was the most common strategy used to get to the end of each level?

Thanks to the game’s SpotPass feature, you, the player, will answer these questions and more. This may not seem like all that big of a deal now, but if Nintendo continues to monitor gameplay (with the player’s consent of course) this could lead to more streamlined gameplay in the future, which means better games for us.

As someone visiting the island of Yoshis for the first time, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and feel that the developers at Arzest did a fantastic job at adding new features, while staying true to the Yoshi’s Island series. I can’t compare Yoshi’s New Island to the other two games on SNES and DS, but I can tell you that it won’t disappoint as a standalone title on 3DS.

I look forward to finding all of the Easter eggs and other extras during my second playthrough.
  24. May 3, 2014
    Nothing is different is from this game and the previous ones. I like those game a lot and this game is no different. The art style is very cute and pop book like and yea some people might not like that style but to hell with them! The game is fun and you have no excuse for not buying this game and even the previous two. Game play is still the same and very easy to learn, tutorials are all over the first seven levels and even the boss level. The one issue I have is the same as the other's which is baby mario is so damn annoying! Other than that its the best plat former on the 3DS, must have game without a doubt. Expand
  25. May 31, 2014
    I've barely played it (only played 4 levels) as I can't stand how it looks. I realize it's supposed to be a "Story effect" like on Yoshi's Story... but bleh!!! It just looks awful!!! I'd rather play the SNES version of this game than put any more effort into this one... This is the only Mario Game that I'm never going to complete unless Nintendo decide to release more junk like this! Also it's too easy!!! it's a mockery to the original game! Expand
  26. Jun 20, 2014
    I'm a big fan of Yoshi's Island games and this one wasn't fun. Its honestly the worst Yoshi's Island you will see out there. I really disliked the world, music, and overworld. Everytime I beat a level, it felt like a chore. Yes I beat the game and it felt like I was watching Les Mis (3 Years). I don't see a reason to replay this game because it is worse than New Super Mario Bros 2. This is not a MUST BUY for anyone. The only good thing it has is controlling the vehicles. Thats fun but its not in many levels at all. Do not pay full price for this game because it is only worth $5.

Yoshi's New Island gets a 2/10 :(
  27. Jul 26, 2014
    I see a lot of people dissing this game because they say it's nothing close to being as good as the original, but if we don't pay any attention to the old Yoshi's Island, the New Yoshi's Island is still good. Not great, but good. The levels in it are way too easy and they practically hand out 1-ups and coins. But they did keep the game similar to the original, and added on new features in that differentiate it from the original. The graphics also impressed me. Expand
  28. Jul 29, 2014
    Another solid title for the 3DS. The game controls well and adds just enough new to keep it interesting. To pass each level doesn't require much effort but collecting all the items in each level brings the difficulty up. It makes for a good balance between challenging and accessible. Granted you will likely have triple digit lives through the majority of the game the challenge is more about exploring anf locating the hidden items.

The music could be better, but it's not aa huge of an issue as some make is sound. Overall I would give this title a recommendation if you are looking for something new on the 3DS, enjoy Nintendo First Party titles, and have already played the heavy hitters in the 3DS library. It feels a step behind the efforts of Luigi's Mansion, Mario 3DLand, Etc....
  29. Aug 2, 2014
    If you want to buy this game because you loved Yoshi's Island on the SNES, then this game is not for you.

Yoshis New Island, is a reboot probably targeted to children ages 4-10, because I doubt any other age group can fully appreciate this game.

My main gripe is that most of this game is a complete downgrade from the original SNES version. The mechanics and gameplay are basically the
    same (with minor exceptions). However, the levels are not nearly as fun or creative as the original. Also, every middle boss fight has been replaced with a Kamek fight, which seems like a lazy cop out in terms of animation and story telling. Also the Boss fights where uninteresting, with the difficulty being scaled down to the capabilities of a 5 year old. Also, the music is a huge disappointment because it takes you completely out of the game. The boss fight music in the original really got the blood going, but this new Island music is childish.

It would seem that Nintendo's new games are designed for incompetent gamers who can no longer focus long enough to beat a game, because much like in the 3DS Super Mario Series, when you die more that 3 times you are given the option to use magic Yoshi wings (or golden leaves in SMB) so that you can pass the level without any effort. This I feel is a terrible trend that Nintendo needs to stop including in their games.

Overall, This game will probably be a nice gift to younger players who otherwise have never played A Yoshi Game, but for the fans of the original, you are better off buying Yoshi's Island on the Wii U virtual console and replaying it on the gamepad.
  30. Sep 17, 2014
    The actual game is great fun! Cute graphics with memorable enemies and puzzle scenes. Unlike Mario, there's no timer so the game is designed to to be explored. Levels are puzzles and that's fun. Getting all the "collectibles" in each level is fun because finding them all is a puzzling challenge rathe than a chore and gives each level some replay value.

Then we get to the non-optional,
    gimmicky accelerometer based mini games. 3.1 has the mini game that prompted this review.

The game turns your yoshi into a sub (yes, a **** submarine). You then need to use your accelerometer and torpedoes to get through the level. There's no acceleration control, so you move at a constant speed. There's also no target control, meaning you may need multiple rockets to take out the thing in front of you. Add in the fact that every time you fire you STOP moving, and the fact that there is a timer and you have one frustrating mess which will ensure I never play 3.1 stage again, just to ensure that I don't have to play that mini game again. The worst part is, the same game could have been accomplished with the awesome sliding D-pad that the 3DS incorporates.

In short, this game is a load of fun to someone who never played the original yoshi games, but the accelerometer is a gimmick that apple already tried to push as the next stage of gaming. Nobody wants to hold their 3DS wrong side up and nobody wants to look like a douchebag playing the damn thing. If you're not into frustrating forced in features that should really be mini games added in as cute, gimmicky and optional extras, this game can't be for you.

I couldn't give the game a 3/10 like I wanted to, because the ACTUAL GAME is a load of fun - easily an 8/10 if you think Mario is a 7/10. But being arse-raped with game features you were not expecting nor wanted, nor enjoyed having been forced to use, limits this game's experience in a way that could be so easy to avoid.
  31. Oct 13, 2014
    This is a great game for any age. Everybody said this is childish, but I found this fun. I don't think many other adults might find this fun, only because they aren't a kid anymore. If you loved the original Yoshi's island, Yoshi's story, or any other Yoshi games on the DS, this is a must have game!

1. May 11, 2014
    Yoshi's New Island is a fun, cute and a lot easier platformer than other recent Nintendo games. It's a perfect match for a platformer novice, but gives thrills to a veteran too, especially when used as a sedative between much harder games. [Apr 2014]
  2. Most will find something to like, but it's not even close to the classic it apes. [Apr 2014, p.84]
  3. Apr 12, 2014
    The more lacklustre Yoshi’s Island games there are, the more Nintendo continue to suggest that the original was a glorious one-off, released when the company was approaching the very peak of its creativity.