6.1

1. Sep 17, 2014
    The actual game is great fun! Cute graphics with memorable enemies and puzzle scenes. Unlike Mario, there's no timer so the game is designed to to be explored. Levels are puzzles and that's fun. Getting all the "collectibles" in each level is fun because finding them all is a puzzling challenge rathe than a chore and gives each level some replay value.

Then we get to the non-optional,

Then we get to the non-optional, gimmicky accelerometer based mini games. 3.1 has the mini game that prompted this review.

The game turns your yoshi into a sub (yes, a **** submarine). You then need to use your accelerometer and torpedoes to get through the level. There's no acceleration control, so you move at a constant speed. There's also no target control, meaning you may need multiple rockets to take out the thing in front of you. Add in the fact that every time you fire you STOP moving, and the fact that there is a timer and you have one frustrating mess which will ensure I never play 3.1 stage again, just to ensure that I don't have to play that mini game again. The worst part is, the same game could have been accomplished with the awesome sliding D-pad that the 3DS incorporates.

In short, this game is a load of fun to someone who never played the original yoshi games, but the accelerometer is a gimmick that apple already tried to push as the next stage of gaming. Nobody wants to hold their 3DS wrong side up and nobody wants to look like a douchebag playing the damn thing. If you're not into frustrating forced in features that should really be mini games added in as cute, gimmicky and optional extras, this game can't be for you.

I couldn't give the game a 3/10 like I wanted to, because the ACTUAL GAME is a load of fun - easily an 8/10 if you think Mario is a 7/10. But being arse-raped with game features you were not expecting nor wanted, nor enjoyed having been forced to use, limits this game's experience in a way that could be so easy to avoid.
  2. May 26, 2014
    Boring backgrounds,dull music and gimmicky motion control are few of the problems this game has. I had sort of high hopes going into this one since the SNES game Super Mario World 2 was such a masterpiece. The art was so unfitting with a Yoshi games usual colorful and uplifting backgrounds and environment.The story was generic and getting through to the end was just tedious.This was NOTBoring backgrounds,dull music and gimmicky motion control are few of the problems this game has. I had sort of high hopes going into this one since the SNES game Super Mario World 2 was such a masterpiece. The art was so unfitting with a Yoshi games usual colorful and uplifting backgrounds and environment.The story was generic and getting through to the end was just tedious.This was NOT $40 well spent. Expand
  3. Sep 4, 2014
    An Egg-stremely frustrating experience

An Egg-stremely frustrating experience

Yoshi's New Island does not add anything game changing to the already established series and the game is instead a tweaking of the 19 year old original with the addition of a couple of new gimmicks. These gimmicks however do not really enhance the game and some places are even detrimental to the quality of the whole experience. One of the new features is the ability to eat oversized enemies and throw these massive eggs to get through areas that are blocked by walls, pipes and other various obstacles. This idea is good but it does not feel all that different to the normal sized eggs- its inclusion in the game does not make a significant difference and is a disappointment considering how much this feature was built up.
    The gameplay in the Yoshi's Island series is a twist on the normal platform genre; in addition to keeping your main character ( Yoshi) alive, you have to carry a second character ( the aforementioned Baby Mario) on the friendly dinosaurs back. If you get hit by an enemy or are damaged in any way; Baby Mario goes into a bubble, starts crying and a timer counts down. If you fail to collect Baby Mario within this time, you lose a life. Its a twist on a classic that is still a very playable idea to this day and testament to the quality of the original. This being said, Yoshi's New Island is painfully easy. It is possible to breeze through the first two worlds in half an hour as the ability to eat almost any enemy or having the chance to merely flutter jump over enemies makes the majority of the enemies in the game no challenge at all. . These collectables ( flowers, red coins and mini stars) can make the game a far longer experience as some of these, especially in the latter levels, can be quite hard to obtain.
    For non-completionists, the game can feel quite short and in comparison to other platform games ( in particular Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS), the number of worlds seems stingy.
    Another returning feature from the original game is Yoshi's ability to transform into a variety of vehicles varying from a drill, to a helicopter or a hot air balloon. However, they all use gyro controls. This is a big minus as this can be very unresponsive in sections ( in particular with the helicopter where sharp turns are needed but are never possible). The transformation idea is a good one and it does act as a good buffer between some platforming sections; if there was an option to control these transformations with buttons instead of by tilting the console, then this could have been executed far more effectively.
    Despite numerous problems with difficulty, game length, repetitiveness of bosses and a story that is very stretched ( the stork from the previous games got lost and took the previously rescued babies to the wrong house... seriously), the actual platforming in the game is very passable. The control of Yoshi is good and responsive and his flutter jump is still useful and enjoyable years after the original games release. As the game gets nearer to the end, the game does become slightly more challenging but nothing to faze seasoned platform players. As a game for children, this game is a perfect starter.
    The visuals in Yoshi's New Island are an odd change from what we are used to. I understand that by doing the graphics in a way that resembles a child's storybook, it makes the game seem colourful and exciting and they succeed by doing this in the most part. However, in the boss levels were lava reigns, the childish scheme seems out of place and this is a little disappointing. The 3D effect in the game is actually very good. Yoshi stands out from the background and looks as crisp and clean as we have ever seen him.
    The sound in Yoshi's New Island is truly baffling. The soundtrack for the original game was excellent with many memorable tunes. Reusing it here seems like a good idea until you realise that they have replaced the original instruments with kazoos, xylophones and anything else you could find in a child's playroom. The idea itself is not without merit but the execution is not good. I often found myself turning the volume down to zero because the music was just so high pitched and unenjoyable.
    The multiplayer in the game is awful. The games are laggy, take an age to load and when a game is completed, it does not even tell you who won and just says 'Play again?'. This feature feels like it was tacked on at the last minute and this is a shame as this feature could have brought the game up another level instead of bringing it down.
    Overall, Yoshi's New Island is a good platformer. The platforming sections work but there a clutch of problems elsewhere in the sound, multiplayer and difficulty departments.
    I do reviews on my Wordpress page- the video game reviewer, if you liked this, come give me a view or ten? :L
  4. Mar 15, 2014
    Not bad, not good. We didn't expect anything better from artoon.
    Of course been a sequel of one of the best videogames of all time made it have such a bad user score.
    Yoshi's Island was one of the first console games I've ever played back when I was 5.
  5. Mar 16, 2014
    This game definitely copies a lot of ideas from the first Yoshi's Island, and the fact that Yoshi's Island DS was basically a sequel to this game says something. The music is not as bad as people think, even though the kazoo instrument in pretty annoying at times. Overall this is a good game, but not the sequel we expected from DS.
  6. Mar 18, 2014
    I wasn't expecting to see a ground-breaking game of the Yoshi series that would be completely different of everything that I have saw from the series before. I was expecting a fun experience. And this game was what I was expecting. This game is fun to play, the art style is amazing, even though I think it looks kinda messy at some points. The game plays fine, but nothing to different fromI wasn't expecting to see a ground-breaking game of the Yoshi series that would be completely different of everything that I have saw from the series before. I was expecting a fun experience. And this game was what I was expecting. This game is fun to play, the art style is amazing, even though I think it looks kinda messy at some points. The game plays fine, but nothing to different from the previous one. See the problem here is that there isn't nothing different. It is fun, yes, but it doesn't brings anything new to the table. Yoshi's New Island feels more like a remake than a sequel, but if you just want a fun 3DS platformer, then why not check this out? Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2014
    Just the same game you have played a million times before but less fun. Nintendo seem to be afraid to make new IPs and new experiences. If this is your first time playing a yoshi's island however, then it's an average game at best. Much like the recent Donkey Kong.
  8. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is not the best, nor it is the worst in the series. Yoshi's New Island attempts to bring something New and Fresh to the series, and at times it feels good, but other times its like a shell in your eggs. If you grew up and love Yoshi from the Super Nintendo days, this game will feel familiar, and bring back a flood gate of memories, but if you are an older gamer, and this is yourThis game is not the best, nor it is the worst in the series. Yoshi's New Island attempts to bring something New and Fresh to the series, and at times it feels good, but other times its like a shell in your eggs. If you grew up and love Yoshi from the Super Nintendo days, this game will feel familiar, and bring back a flood gate of memories, but if you are an older gamer, and this is your first taste of the Yoshi series maybe it should be avoided. The color, texture, and sound are cute, but after a while can feel cheap, and the feeling that something more should have been done pops up in the back of your head around the third world, boss battles are too simple, and the "health" system, which is the same as the previous titles, feels old and outdated and not fresh like Yoshi's island DS did back when it came out. I suggest picking it up, but don't expect to play it for a long time at once, you will feel tired, and think you are doing the same thing over, and over, and over again. Play in small chunks and remember this is more kid friendly. They will look back at this as the first Yoshi game they played and will get that fuzzy feeling we get when we remember when Yoshi first appeared on our TV screens, and the joyful memories we still have today. Expand
  9. Mar 20, 2014
    I for one thoroughly enjoyed the re-visitation to Yoshi's Island. I thought the over all concepts presented within level design, art design, and story design were all very appropriate. The graphics were very child like, which was a perfect designation due to the overall theme, and environment of the game. The very same applies for the audio. The music was simplistic, and the Yoshi soundI for one thoroughly enjoyed the re-visitation to Yoshi's Island. I thought the over all concepts presented within level design, art design, and story design were all very appropriate. The graphics were very child like, which was a perfect designation due to the overall theme, and environment of the game. The very same applies for the audio. The music was simplistic, and the Yoshi sound effects were immensely amusing. Gameplay very well in terms of mechanics and over all layout, everything ran smooth and the core level design had a strong direction. The game in essence was not incredibly difficult, nor was it incredibly easy, though the boss fights did feel a little bit jaded, which made the strategies behind they very intuitive. I very much enjoyed this game for all that it's worth and cannot wait for further projects from Nintendo to be released later throughout the year. Expand
  10. Feb 11, 2015
    I liked game play, graphic, music, 3D and everything. But I find this game somehow boring anyway. It is not that it is worse than SNES original. I think, it is very similar and I have pretty same feeling about the game. If you run fast through game maybe you will enjoy, but collecting collectibles is frustrating and not fun.
  11. Jul 26, 2014
    I see a lot of people dissing this game because they say it's nothing close to being as good as the original, but if we don't pay any attention to the old Yoshi's Island, the New Yoshi's Island is still good. Not great, but good. The levels in it are way too easy and they practically hand out 1-ups and coins. But they did keep the game similar to the original, and added on new features inI see a lot of people dissing this game because they say it's nothing close to being as good as the original, but if we don't pay any attention to the old Yoshi's Island, the New Yoshi's Island is still good. Not great, but good. The levels in it are way too easy and they practically hand out 1-ups and coins. But they did keep the game similar to the original, and added on new features in that differentiate it from the original. The graphics also impressed me. Expand
  12. Aug 2, 2014
    If you want to buy this game because you loved Yoshi's Island on the SNES, then this game is not for you.

Yoshis New Island, is a reboot probably targeted to children ages 4-10, because I doubt any other age group can fully appreciate this game. My main gripe is that most of this game is a complete downgrade from the original SNES version. The mechanics and gameplay are basically the

My main gripe is that most of this game is a complete downgrade from the original SNES version. The mechanics and gameplay are basically the same (with minor exceptions). However, the levels are not nearly as fun or creative as the original. Also, every middle boss fight has been replaced with a Kamek fight, which seems like a lazy cop out in terms of animation and story telling. Also the Boss fights where uninteresting, with the difficulty being scaled down to the capabilities of a 5 year old. Also, the music is a huge disappointment because it takes you completely out of the game. The boss fight music in the original really got the blood going, but this new Island music is childish.

It would seem that Nintendo's new games are designed for incompetent gamers who can no longer focus long enough to beat a game, because much like in the 3DS Super Mario Series, when you die more that 3 times you are given the option to use magic Yoshi wings (or golden leaves in SMB) so that you can pass the level without any effort. This I feel is a terrible trend that Nintendo needs to stop including in their games.

Overall, This game will probably be a nice gift to younger players who otherwise have never played A Yoshi Game, but for the fans of the original, you are better off buying Yoshi's Island on the Wii U virtual console and replaying it on the gamepad.
  13. Feb 3, 2015
    Yoshi´s New Island é o pior jogo da nintendo no estilo plataforma 2D para 3ds. Ao invés de gastar o seu tempo jogando esse jogo. Procure Kirby Triple Deluxe, New Super Mario Bros. 2 ou Donkey Kong Country Returns.
  14. Apr 5, 2015
    "Yoshi Island Level expansion pack" would be a more fitting title for this game.
    nowhere as bad as the DS game but nowhere as remarakble as the original.
    I'd recommend it for some mindless fun. but be aware the plot is really really stupid and the end level minigames from the flowers are gone and replaced with the flowers being turned into egg coins when you get the wheel to land on a
    nowhere as bad as the DS game but nowhere as remarakble as the original.
    I'd recommend it for some mindless fun.
    but be aware the plot is really really stupid and the end level minigames from the flowers are gone and replaced with the flowers being turned into egg coins when you get the wheel to land on a flower, you know, boring uninspired stuff.
    also, as the plot is really stupid be ready for a anticlimatic/out of nowhere/nonsensical last boss.

animations and graphics are pretty stiff and blocky, and the 3D effect is practically nonexistant as everything is placed in close layers and no object or background has real depth.
    and the soundtrack is nice, the game has a nice main theme but none of the level songs make good use of it, it's close to being one of those songs that stick in your head, but falls short because of the uninspired /bland track arrangement.
    again, miles above the DS version's soundtrack which was completely bland and barely had any melody to it most of the time.

with a few tweaks this game would be a lot better as a sequel to Yoshi Story, but nintendo doesn't seem to like people remembering that game exists.

1. May 11, 2014
    Yoshi's New Island is a fun, cute and a lot easier platformer than other recent Nintendo games. It's a perfect match for a platformer novice, but gives thrills to a veteran too, especially when used as a sedative between much harder games. [Apr 2014]
  2. Most will find something to like, but it's not even close to the classic it apes. [Apr 2014, p.84]
  3. Apr 12, 2014
    The more lacklustre Yoshi’s Island games there are, the more Nintendo continue to suggest that the original was a glorious one-off, released when the company was approaching the very peak of its creativity.