Yoshi's New Island 3DS

6.1

1. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is what Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels was to the original Super Mario Bros. It sticks so closely to the template of its predecessor, that it ends up feeling more like an expansion pack than a brand new game.

The whole experience will feel very familiar to Yoshi's Island fans, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, the first game was a masterpiece. I don't

I don't see why the critics feel that the lack of innovation is a shot in the foot for Yoshi's New Island. Super Mario Galaxy 2 got fantastic reviews, and it barely differentiated itself from Super Mario Galaxy 1. So why does Yoshi's New Island get bashed for doing the same thing? It's like ordering a delicious, juicy steak at a restaurant, loving it, then coming back a week later to order the same steak, and this time, you hate it. It doesn't make sense at all.

And as for the art style, it looks fine. Think of it as Yoshi's Island if it were translated into Playstation 1 pseudo-3D graphics. I can't really illustrate that to you, but take a look at some videos of the game in motion, and you'll see what I mean. It's not a bad visual-style, and to me, it's kind of reminiscient of Yoshi's Story on the N64.

For those of you out there who are on the fence about buying this game after seeing such mixed reviews, I'd urge you to disregard them, and try the game out for yourself. Being a huge fan of the orginal Yoshi's Island, I was just as worried as everyone else was when this game was announced. I wasn't confident at all that it could compare to the original, and I'd already been burnt by Yoshi's Island DS, which was a major disappointment for me. Thankfully, I'm happy to say that Yoshi's New island comes very close to the greatness of the original. Closer than I ever imagined it would. So please do not hesitate to pick this up. Do yourself a favor, and ignore the critics who are lambasting the visual style, or complaining about the level design, because as far as I'm concerned, those complaints are completely un-founded. Yoshi's New Island is a blast to play, there's lots of content, lots of hidden secrets, and it comes remarkably close to the greatness of the original game. I couldn't ask for anything more.
  2. Mar 14, 2014
    Hmm, from what I have played the game so far (soon finished Wolrd 1 :P), I can say that in my opinion most of the review scores seems as far fetched as they go. The gameplay's stabile and the controls feels nice, very similar to the original in a good way. And the musics aren't that bad, expect for those random toy-like instruments including tracks. And the level design, I feel it isHmm, from what I have played the game so far (soon finished Wolrd 1 :P), I can say that in my opinion most of the review scores seems as far fetched as they go. The gameplay's stabile and the controls feels nice, very similar to the original in a good way. And the musics aren't that bad, expect for those random toy-like instruments including tracks. And the level design, I feel it is working nicely and there are new things in every new level as there should be. Even though there isn't that much of new gameplay elements, it is still good and could go for even the "classic Nintendo quality" as for ensured entertainment factor. I found IGN's review much closer to the truth of the quality of the game.

And by the way, the graphics aren't even close as bad as they look in the trailers, in those Yoshi looked like some kind of vague polygon mess, but in the game he looks even cute. Overall I would give it a 7.5 from my current exprience of the game.
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    This game has its own flow and pace, when you set aside your expectations and delve into its wonderful world and mechanics, there is a lot to love about Yoshi's New Island.

The lack of checkpoints, the sudden death traps and the difficulty of finding each collectible item lengthen the game unnecessarily. If you just want to walk through the game it's a relaxing, albeit short, experience. If you try to collect and explore everything it can get rather frustrating.

Once you decided that this game can never live up to being a true sequel to the SNES Yoshi's Island, but rather a game being very akin to Yoshi's Story on N64, Yoshi's New Island is a very good way to spend your time and you'll find a lot to love about it.
  4. Mar 16, 2014
    I was really excited for this game as I loved the SNES original but after reading the reviews I was really worried it was going to be terrible. To be honest after watching some of the videos the art style looked quite bad but I thought I'd give it a go (for Nostalgias sake). Boy am I glad I did because I disagree with most of what has been criticised about this game. The art style actuallyI was really excited for this game as I loved the SNES original but after reading the reviews I was really worried it was going to be terrible. To be honest after watching some of the videos the art style looked quite bad but I thought I'd give it a go (for Nostalgias sake). Boy am I glad I did because I disagree with most of what has been criticised about this game. The art style actually pretty neat and it doesn't look nearly as bad as the videos make it out to be. It is actually rather cute and looks like the whole game has been hand drawn. The game play is solid and sure there isn't too much "New" about it but it's classic Yoshi gameplay and that's why we all play Yoshi games right? Egg throwing, hidden secrets, flutter jumping etc. The music is the same tune repeated over again in different ways but it is very catchy. The game oozes Nintendo charm and that's what keeps Nintendo fans coming back for more. Definitely not an instant classic but a fun game none the less. If you enjoyed the original Yoshi's Island then you will enjoy this game! Expand
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    Great game with great nostalgia from the original. Games dont need to be punishingly difficult or 40+ hours long to be enjoyable. The platforming is great, the music is great and the visuals look much better than online screenshots. This is a great way to spend 10+ hours, especially if you want all the collectibles.
  6. Mar 14, 2014
    A wonderful game. I'll cut straight to the point and say the music isn't really that great. It sucks, even. But the graphics are colorful and fun, the gameplay is tight, and challenge is where it's due. Some other reviews are saying the game is a skip, but skipping this one might cause regret.
  7. Apr 24, 2014
    Ok this game is definitely not as good as the original aesthetically, but the gameplay is pretty much the same. I don't understand how poeple could rate this game lower than Yoshis Island DS. If you don't mind the new style and visuals this game is pretty good!
  8. Mar 16, 2014
    A great successor to the original Yoshi's Island on the SNES. Whilst slow and simple to play with a fairly even difficulty throughout, the real joy comes from finding all the collectibles and unlocking the harder bonus levels. Not sure what people ask for when they call for "innovation", they probably don't know themselves... This is a solid addition to the franchise and sure to notA great successor to the original Yoshi's Island on the SNES. Whilst slow and simple to play with a fairly even difficulty throughout, the real joy comes from finding all the collectibles and unlocking the harder bonus levels. Not sure what people ask for when they call for "innovation", they probably don't know themselves... This is a solid addition to the franchise and sure to not disappoint veteran fans and newbies alike. Expand
  9. Apr 13, 2014
    I have never played a Yoshi’s Island game in my life. I know, it sounds bad!!

Before playing Yoshi’s New Island, I read up on some of the reviews already written up on the interweb, and was staggered to see so many low scores. After seeing these negative reviews, I decided that I needed to see for myself. Let’s just say I’m glad I took the risk. Yoshi and Baby Mario are back in an
    I have never played a Yoshi’s Island game in my life. I know, it sounds bad!!

Yoshi and Baby Mario are back in an adventure to bring peace back to Yoshi’s Island, and save Baby Luigi from Baby Bowser and his minions.

After the events of the original Yoshi’s Island, the Stork finds out that he brought the two bros to the wrong parents! It’s up to the Yoshi’s to search for the rightful parents. Also, Kamek wants to steal the babies now that they are without a home once again, so you’ll have to worry about him and his gang.

You assume control of the kindhearted Yoshi’s that inhabit the island, taking turns carrying Baby Mario through each level. If you take damage, Baby Mario will fall off your back and float in a bubble until you catch him. Be careful; upon losing Baby Mario, a counter will appear on the screen. If you can’t make it on time, Baby Bowser’s minions will capture the little guy, forcing you to start over from the beginning of the current level. At the end of each level, the Yoshi you played as will pass Baby Mario to the next Yoshi, who is ready to dive into the next level. Nice teamwork, guys! The only difference in the Yoshis is their color; they all control identically.

New to this installment are the Yoshi transformations. When passing through a transformation gate, Yoshi changes form. Whether you are a drill, helicopter, or submarine, you control your movement with the system’s built in gyrosensor (motion controls). This is reminiscent of Yoshi’s Topsy Turvy, a GBA game.

What’s a good game without an equally thrilling multiplayer mode? Yoshi’s New Island features a number of mini games to play with your friends over local wireless. Like any good Nintendo handheld game, you are able to play with your friends via Download Play even if they don’t have the game. This is always a welcome addition to a multiplayer, and it also helps owners of the game get their friends to buy it as well.

This is the best-looking Yoshi’s Island game to date, hands down. The hand-drawn, storybook-esque visuals are a key ingredient in the game’s formula, and they are a perfect fit for the glasses-free visuals that the Nintendo 3DS provides. As is the case with most 3DS games, screenshots just don’t do this game justice; it looks at least 95% better in person.

The music matches the game’s playful vibe, with what seems to be an orchestra of kazoos in the background. Remember the Van Gough inspired Starry Night level in New Super Mario Bros. U? Well, the same level of creativity was used in this game. That my friend, is a very good thing, trust me.

Nintendo wants YOU to share your gameplay data with them

Wait. Nintendo actually cares about what their fans think? That’s what the new SpotPass feature in the game would suggest. You are able to opt in or out to have your gameplay data automatically sent to the developers at Nintendo for research and ideas for future development.

How many people played the game all the way to the end? How important were the Easter Eggs and secret passageways to the players? What was the most common strategy used to get to the end of each level?

Thanks to the game’s SpotPass feature, you, the player, will answer these questions and more. This may not seem like all that big of a deal now, but if Nintendo continues to monitor gameplay (with the player’s consent of course) this could lead to more streamlined gameplay in the future, which means better games for us.

As someone visiting the island of Yoshis for the first time, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and feel that the developers at Arzest did a fantastic job at adding new features, while staying true to the Yoshi’s Island series. I can’t compare Yoshi’s New Island to the other two games on SNES and DS, but I can tell you that it won’t disappoint as a standalone title on 3DS.

I look forward to finding all of the Easter eggs and other extras during my second playthrough.
  10. May 3, 2014
    Nothing is different is from this game and the previous ones. I like those game a lot and this game is no different. The art style is very cute and pop book like and yea some people might not like that style but to hell with them! The game is fun and you have no excuse for not buying this game and even the previous two. Game play is still the same and very easy to learn, tutorials are allNothing is different is from this game and the previous ones. I like those game a lot and this game is no different. The art style is very cute and pop book like and yea some people might not like that style but to hell with them! The game is fun and you have no excuse for not buying this game and even the previous two. Game play is still the same and very easy to learn, tutorials are all over the first seven levels and even the boss level. The one issue I have is the same as the other's which is baby mario is so damn annoying! Other than that its the best plat former on the 3DS, must have game without a doubt. Expand
  11. Jul 29, 2014
    Another solid title for the 3DS. The game controls well and adds just enough new to keep it interesting. To pass each level doesn't require much effort but collecting all the items in each level brings the difficulty up. It makes for a good balance between challenging and accessible. Granted you will likely have triple digit lives through the majority of the game the challenge is moreAnother solid title for the 3DS. The game controls well and adds just enough new to keep it interesting. To pass each level doesn't require much effort but collecting all the items in each level brings the difficulty up. It makes for a good balance between challenging and accessible. Granted you will likely have triple digit lives through the majority of the game the challenge is more about exploring anf locating the hidden items.

The music could be better, but it's not aa huge of an issue as some make is sound. Overall I would give this title a recommendation if you are looking for something new on the 3DS, enjoy Nintendo First Party titles, and have already played the heavy hitters in the 3DS library. It feels a step behind the efforts of Luigi's Mansion, Mario 3DLand, Etc....
  12. Oct 13, 2014
    This is a great game for any age. Everybody said this is childish, but I found this fun. I don't think many other adults might find this fun, only because they aren't a kid anymore. If you loved the original Yoshi's island, Yoshi's story, or any other Yoshi games on the DS, this is a must have game!
  13. Dec 1, 2014
    Yoshi's New Island is a fun game and people should stop hating on it. It is not as bad as you think. Plus there are new machines like the Big Egg and the Super Dragon which are both good things.
  14. May 31, 2015
    Un plataformas excelente
    Un plataformas excelente
    Yoshi new island un juego que provoco polémica por sus bajas notas en revistas especializadas, lo que me hizo correr a una tienda a comprarlo de salida no es primera ves que un juego criticado es realmente un juego destaca ble empecemos por los puntos flojos donde estoy muy de acuerdo, la música lo que hizo una obra maestra y catalogado el mejor plataformas 2d de la historia super mario world 2 lamentablemente en este juego flojeo mucho la música se me hizo muy repetitiva en todo el juego el mismo overworld pero mezclado eso arruino un poco la experiencia pero cabe destacar que la música no es mala si no repetitiva lo mismo que paso con la saga new super mario bros, pero la música encaja muy bien el lo que es el titulo un juego mágico y alegre otro punto flojo pero que no hay que discutir mucho, la dificultad mi pregunta es que juego de yoshi a sido difícil? ninguno, aunque siempre se agradece un poco mas de dificultad en un titulo pero vamos que nuin juego de hoy en día es difíc

1. May 11, 2014
    Yoshi's New Island is a fun, cute and a lot easier platformer than other recent Nintendo games. It's a perfect match for a platformer novice, but gives thrills to a veteran too, especially when used as a sedative between much harder games. [Apr 2014]
  2. Most will find something to like, but it's not even close to the classic it apes. [Apr 2014, p.84]
  3. Apr 12, 2014
    The more lacklustre Yoshi’s Island games there are, the more Nintendo continue to suggest that the original was a glorious one-off, released when the company was approaching the very peak of its creativity.