Shenmue II Dreamcast
9.5

1. Mar 26, 2011
    Quite simply the greatest game ever made. Amazing story, amazing characters, great gameplay and graphics. Something truly special. Worth buying a Dreamcast just for this one game.
  2. Tekke
    Jun 22, 2005
    Shenmue-step into another reality!
  3. Sep 18, 2011
    easily the best game ever produced. even though it had its flaws, it was simply revolutionary in many aspects. most importantly of course the back then STUNNING graphics. i remember when i was watching one of those 320x240 clips of the intro before it was released and somebody was standing a couple of feet away and asked "what movie is that?". i watched that clip again and again foreasily the best game ever produced. even though it had its flaws, it was simply revolutionary in many aspects. most importantly of course the back then STUNNING graphics. i remember when i was watching one of those 320x240 clips of the intro before it was released and somebody was standing a couple of feet away and asked "what movie is that?". i watched that clip again and again for probably half an hour, drooling.
    and then the open world concept, the overall cinematic feeling, all the little things one could do, the epic feeling of the story, the incredibly well-done fighting system (i was skeptical whether it would work well at first but it really did...), the music which was just as beautiful as the graphics...
    it was just amazing and i'm afraid i will never experience anything like it ever again in my lifetime. graphics these days suck in comparison (obviously always in respect to current times) and the scope of games is fairly minuscule. from a pure conceptual point of view, i guess one could compare GTA to it. but there, the graphics and story are lacking.
  4. Apr 10, 2015
    Possibly the greatest gaming experience you will ever have. Shenmue 1 was a good build-up and prologue (and an amazing game), but Shenmue 2 simply blows it out of the water. The environments, gameplay, storytelling, and character development are second to none. Once I started my first playthrough I could hardly put down the controller. The game hardly has a dull moment, and if you canPossibly the greatest gaming experience you will ever have. Shenmue 1 was a good build-up and prologue (and an amazing game), but Shenmue 2 simply blows it out of the water. The environments, gameplay, storytelling, and character development are second to none. Once I started my first playthrough I could hardly put down the controller. The game hardly has a dull moment, and if you can survive the relentless quick time events, it's an absolute blast. I just wish Sega would wise up and find a way to bring us the next two or three games. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2013
    This is a game that took me beyond, it has no rival to date.
    I played this on the Dreamcast when it first came out, I was a lad back then, and wow, the sheer scope, the advancement in gameplay and graphics, it hit me deep and hard, and brings me joy and great memories to this day.
    An amazing game that is unforgettable.
  6. Mar 19, 2012
    unique, a masterpiece of gaming
  7. Mar 5, 2015
    In this players humble opinion, the greatest video game ever created. Yu Suzuki's brainchild, Shenmue 1 and 2 was a work of art , and came very close to simulating a young Japanese man's life and struggles in the late 80's. The innovation was staggering....It was an archetype for many features we see in gaming today, including QTE's, weather effects (weather was randomized and actualIn this players humble opinion, the greatest video game ever created. Yu Suzuki's brainchild, Shenmue 1 and 2 was a work of art , and came very close to simulating a young Japanese man's life and struggles in the late 80's. The innovation was staggering....It was an archetype for many features we see in gaming today, including QTE's, weather effects (weather was randomized and actual recorded weather forecasts were used), interactivity etc. It propelled the medium to new heights and left a lasting impression on those that had the privilege to play it. Although it was a financial failure, and left the world with a whimper, it was an attempt to defy the tested the tried principles of gaming mechanics and transcend the boundaries of video gaming as a whole.

The atmosphere was just off the charts. You could start chatting with just about anyone, and you truly felt like you were part of a living, breathing world. You could visit an arcade , collect toys , feed kittens or just hang out at the soda machine and gulp down fizzy drinks all day. Later , you could participate in arm wrestling matches with Spanish men that oozed machismo, or take a load off and play a round of darts with a snobbish mustachio dude. The world was yours to discover and manipulate as you saw fit. The variety in gameplay methods never allowed the game itself to drag on, the sheer quantity of things to do and places to go could keep you busy for hours. There were easter eggs like obtaining a sega saturn game or participating in duck racing. Ahh, the memories.

The graphics were unparalleled at the time. The Dreamcast's 200mhz (or so) processor was tested to it's limits, everything was thrown at it except the proverbial kitchen sink, but it did not falter and other than a few areas (pigeon park) where the frame rate would slow to a crawl, the game ran smoothly. The orchestral score and in game music were also memorable , from the opening prologue and Lan Di's enigmatic entrance scene to the tomato convenience store theme (best jingle evah!).

Yu Suzuki and his team poured their souls into this game, it's just a damn shame that there will probably never be a deserved conclusion to this masterpiece.
  8. IanS.
    Apr 7, 2003
    F..k all those bitches who hate Shenmue. I found it to be orgasmic.
  9. Jun 26, 2011
    shenmue is a very inovative and fresh new typ of game . you cant compare it to any thing els out there even though this game is 10 years old there still isnt any thing since then thats remotely like this game. you play as Ryu in 1980s japan who's father is murdered by a myserous man named lan di. your goal is to find out about this man . the game play is hard to sum up . its abit being ashenmue is a very inovative and fresh new typ of game . you cant compare it to any thing els out there even though this game is 10 years old there still isnt any thing since then thats remotely like this game. you play as Ryu in 1980s japan who's father is murdered by a myserous man named lan di. your goal is to find out about this man . the game play is hard to sum up . its abit being a detective questioning people for info , fighting people in a Virtau fighter style combat , some dragons lair QTE , open world exploration with lots of side stuff to do like playing in a arcade ,collecting toys and more . the fighting controls are pretty solid . the controls when walking around are stiff and the camera fights you alot in small area's . the voice acting can be pretty bad. in some cases laughably bad but this game came out in a day when good voice acting in games still wasnt seen to often . you also can get a job as a fork lift driver which for some reason i just had alot of fun driving it around delivering crates to the ware houses tryin to make that $. i also had alot of fun in the arcade playing darts and hang on. this game to me is a step in the right direction for new and innovating games and i wish we could see more games like this it may not be polished to perfection but it does enough right to get a 9 in my book. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2011
    I was reminded of this game while playing Heavy Rain recently and I can see how at the time this game was such a breakthrough in gaming. At it's heart an RPG but different to anything made to that point. A great experience overall.
  11. Apr 19, 2013
    Overall, Shenmue is without doubt in my opinion the finest game ever made. Quite how Shenmue 1 and 2 stack up to one another is unclear to me, as they are both breathtaking and outstanding in their own ways.

It's simply magical. It's hard to truly do this game justice with words, but it is an immersive, exciting, poetic and captivating experience that you will most likely remember and take with you forever.

Do yourself a favour and play Shenmue, you won't regret it!
  12. Jun 28, 2012
    This game brings me back. The dreamcast was such a great little console and this game is true the consoles defining gem. The game world is highly interactive and oozes atmosphere. The storyline and music and top quality. The acting and dialog is a bit campy, but done in true Sega spirit. This game needs to get remastered on HD consoles. Along with Shenmue II.
  13. Oct 27, 2012
    I'm keeping this one short,I can sum this game up in 3 words,BEST GAME....EVER!!!From the moment I started playing this gem at 1st the visuals blew me away,then it went on to have the most ingrossing storys in gaming,& the fact that you could just pop into your local arcade & actually play arcade perfect versions of Outrun,Space Harrier & Afterburner 2 was just showing off!Every gamerI'm keeping this one short,I can sum this game up in 3 words,BEST GAME....EVER!!!From the moment I started playing this gem at 1st the visuals blew me away,then it went on to have the most ingrossing storys in gaming,& the fact that you could just pop into your local arcade & actually play arcade perfect versions of Outrun,Space Harrier & Afterburner 2 was just showing off!Every gamer worth thier salt needs to experience Shenmue,simple as that. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Shenmue 1 is at the top of my favourite games of all time. Once I picked the controller up, I couldn't put it down until the game ended. There is so much to do, I used to spend hours upon hours in the YOU Arcade, collecting toys, buying sodas trying to get a winning can.. Ah, memories. The story is extremely engaging & immersive, the world is absolutely stunning and it's the first game toShenmue 1 is at the top of my favourite games of all time. Once I picked the controller up, I couldn't put it down until the game ended. There is so much to do, I used to spend hours upon hours in the YOU Arcade, collecting toys, buying sodas trying to get a winning can.. Ah, memories. The story is extremely engaging & immersive, the world is absolutely stunning and it's the first game to use dynamic-weather in a 3D world. This game was ahead of it's time, and laid the foundation for many current-gen games. If you love video games, japanese culture, or just love an adventure, don't look any further than Shenmue. Expand
  15. Feb 8, 2013
    Crazy depth to this game, great story, stunning graphics for it's time and amazing attention to detail. In my opinion, one of the more overlooked classics of all-time.
  16. Apr 6, 2013
    Shenmue is an amazing game with great potential and there has to be a Shenmue 3!! its been so long since i last played this game it was awesome great story but its spiritual successor Yakuza is probably better than because it had a better character and a emotional story
  17. May 25, 2015
    It was the best interactive experience of all time when it came out, and still is today. What Shenmue had achieved in 2001 is still unmatched as of today.
  18. May 4, 2015
    Shenmue 2 is a fantastic game which was well ahead of its time. The most stunning aspect of the game is its sheer detail; for example, you can enter pretty much enter every building and every apartment/room in those buildings. The music is memorable, the graphics are great for the time and the pacing issues of the first game are solved and it is far more action-packed. Highly recommendedShenmue 2 is a fantastic game which was well ahead of its time. The most stunning aspect of the game is its sheer detail; for example, you can enter pretty much enter every building and every apartment/room in those buildings. The music is memorable, the graphics are great for the time and the pacing issues of the first game are solved and it is far more action-packed. Highly recommended for anyone who owns a Dreamcast. Expand
  19. Apr 5, 2014
    Made by Yu Suzuki, creator of the renowned Virtue Fighter franchise. This game offers similar in depth fighting, but adds open world exploration with loads of interactive stuff to collect and mess around with.
    Its depressing SEGA has not released HD remasters for modern platforms.
    Its depressing SEGA has not released HD remasters for modern platforms.
    Truly this series has grown legendary and if it released would cause a huge mass hysteria amongst the growing fan base.
  20. May 25, 2015
    Those who played shenmue, surely will put this game on their top ten list of "best games of all time"!!! Don't know if the current generation will love this game, but I am sure that a remastered edition and eventually Shenmue 3 would bring happiness to a legion of fans.
  21. LaneB.
    Feb 27, 2002
    Overrated, Slooooooooooow, Clone of Shenmue 1.
  22. Mar 31, 2014
    im not saying its bad, but when i play a game im looking for gamplay, which is something this game doesn't do well, its literally a whole game based on quick time events, one of the major sins of video games, not to Mention its high production value is one of the many reasons the dreamcast died. the only thing that's good here is the story
  23. Oct 28, 2014
    First off, the things this game did well or innovated. Shenmue pioneered QTE as we know it today. It's arguable that previous games had QTE or were based on such mechanics. But Shenmue coined the term and did it exactly like you've seen it done for the next 10-15 years.

You could practice your combative moves in order to gain more strength. I know of no precursor to Shenmue that worked this way. SImilar to the way you level up in San Andreas and Elder Scrolls Oblivion. You level up by practice.

At the time, Shenmue had the best graphics ever produced for consoles or PC. As such it created an amazing atmosphere. There are day-night sequences, rain, snow, dates change, and different events will be triggered due to the passing of time.

If you ever wanted to live an average life as a Japanese man in an average town. This game is for you.

As for the bad, some QTE events couldn't be retried. The game wasn't easy to save and some of the QTE events would happen out of no where and you'd fail them unable to retry or reload. There were a handful of combat scenes in the game. Combat was a moot point. Shenmue didn't use the analogue stick for whatever reason so turning was stiff and ridiculous. More often than not you'll see Ryo stop in his tracks and do a 90 degree turn. Because the graphics were so good, things like audio quality, bad voice acting, and stiff animations when using items fell to the bottom of the uncanny valley.

The majority of the game you'll spend randomly talking to people in the streets trying to find the next place to go. I remember my uncle commenting on it saying, "Wow, that's like real life, people don't want anything to do with you." 90% of the story progression will be you randomly talking to people, with no dialogue options, and them giving you a dull rejection. If that sounds fun to you, by all means.

When you're not randomly talking to people, you can pick up an orange, or a change purse from inside your house. There are so many things you can touch and pick up but most of them are there for the sole fact it's there. Other activities include using capsule machines to acquire and collect Sega related toys, throwing darts alone, or playing Space Harrier.

The Space Harrier port alone gives this game one of those 4 points for me. It's really the best part and the only -game- part of this game.

As far as the story goes, it has to be said, this is an introduction and nothing more. This can't be seen as a full story or stand alone in any respect. There's no character development among any of the characters and the ending has no resolution. Yu Suzuki planned for Shenmue 1-2 to be one game. As such, Shenmue 1 was broken off into it's own game and was stretched to it's breaking point. Arguably the characters are interesting and unique.

As an introduction, it's pretty good. As a standalone story it's awful, even by a trilogy standard. Even in movies like LOTR, Star Wars, or Mass Effect. The story gives you a resolution to a major problem in its first installment. While also leaving you on a cliff hanger for a more important conflict. Shenmue gives you no resolution. It was a straight introduction and nothing more.
  24. XISMZERO
    Jul 13, 2003
    Incredible game - still has too many annoyances from the original Shenmue - and I wish it had English voice acting since the original did...
  25. DavidD.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Nothing compares to shenmue, It's the pinnacle of gaming. An Instant classic, and woe be the competitor games that fall terribly short of yu suzuki's eternal mark on the world of gaming.
  26. TimG.
    Jan 6, 2008
    Great sequal but not as good as the first
  27. MikeT.
    Feb 4, 2002
    It's too good to be on the x-box!!!
  28. NeofitosO
    Jun 8, 2009
    Brilliant from start to finish.I Play many games and this game is my best i ever play is like adream is fantastic.I buy XBOX only for this game and i am happy to make that because SHENMUE 2 is brilliant game that i would never forget.10/10
  29. AdamE.
    Nov 20, 2002
    Shenmue 2 is without a shadow of a doubt the best game ever made. Shenmue 1 was easier and shorter but it had its charm. Shenmue2 has more action and a fourth CD that is just brilliantly made.
  30. R.Gibbons
    Feb 22, 2002
    If you've never imported a game before, this is the reason to learn the trade. Great story and the only thing that keeps it from getting a ten is the minor slowdown you may encounter. You may not even notice unless you are looking for it.
    Mar 20, 2002
    Radical!!! 100% awsome!!!! Nothing wrong about it!!!
  32. ScottK.
    Mar 29, 2002
    Shenmue 1 was the best Dreamcast game ever with the exception of Fire Pro Wrestling D. Shenmue 2 leaps ahead of Shenmue 1 and improves on everything that was ever (wrongly stated) wrong with the game and is polished with an essence of greatness and perfection in mind. There is nothing wrong with Shenmue 2 except for some minor gliches so get out and import it to make your best investment Shenmue 1 was the best Dreamcast game ever with the exception of Fire Pro Wrestling D. Shenmue 2 leaps ahead of Shenmue 1 and improves on everything that was ever (wrongly stated) wrong with the game and is polished with an essence of greatness and perfection in mind. There is nothing wrong with Shenmue 2 except for some minor gliches so get out and import it to make your best investment in video gaming history. Expand
  33. PeetC.
    Nov 21, 2006
    Despite the someimes odd dialogue and constant load time, it is the most immersive, entertaining experience in gaming.
  34. HuguesB.
    Feb 3, 2006
    Really good sequel, if you loved the first one you won't be desapointed. If dreamcast version is hard to find, Xbox got it.
  35. DustyDonotworry
    May 21, 2003
    I have it for the xbox and part 1 for th DC. I have not found a game that comes close to how fun and great Shenmue games are. I can't wait for part 3.
  36. PeterW.
    Oct 27, 2004
    Awesome,one of the greatest games i have ever played.....a masterpeice.cant wait for the third instalment, if it ever comes.
  37. DanielC.
    Feb 11, 2006
    The best foreign game that i have played.
  38. BrianM.
    Nov 9, 2007
    The second best game ever made, the first being Shenmue. Absolutely amazing. Words can't describe it.
  39. BobMarley
    Dec 15, 2001
    This game was awesome... i loved it man!

1. The big improvement for me is that everything is a lot less linear then before; it really does feel that your actions directly influence Ryo’s progress through the adventure.
  2. I loved Shenmue. But as great as I thought that game was, nothing could have prepared me for Shenmue II.
  3. Shenmue II is so much better than its predecessor, refining nearly every aspect of the original. It's a polished game that serves as a showcase for the DC and the evolution of the RPG genre, and fans should definitely find a way to play it.