Shenmue II Dreamcast

9.3

1. XISMZERO
    Jul 13, 2003
    Incredible game - still has too many annoyances from the original Shenmue - and I wish it had English voice acting since the original did...
  2. DavidD.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Nothing compares to shenmue, It's the pinnacle of gaming. An Instant classic, and woe be the competitor games that fall terribly short of yu suzuki's eternal mark on the world of gaming.
  3. TimG.
    Jan 6, 2008
    Great sequal but not as good as the first
  4. MikeT.
    Feb 4, 2002
    It's too good to be on the x-box!!!
  5. NeofitosO
    Jun 8, 2009
    Brilliant from start to finish.I Play many games and this game is my best i ever play is like adream is fantastic.I buy XBOX only for this game and i am happy to make that because SHENMUE 2 is brilliant game that i would never forget.10/10
  6. AdamE.
    Nov 20, 2002
    Shenmue 2 is without a shadow of a doubt the best game ever made. Shenmue 1 was easier and shorter but it had its charm. Shenmue2 has more action and a fourth CD that is just brilliantly made.
  7. R.Gibbons
    Feb 22, 2002
    If you've never imported a game before, this is the reason to learn the trade. Great story and the only thing that keeps it from getting a ten is the minor slowdown you may encounter. You may not even notice unless you are looking for it.
    Mar 20, 2002
    Radical!!! 100% awsome!!!! Nothing wrong about it!!!
  9. ScottK.
    Mar 29, 2002
    Shenmue 1 was the best Dreamcast game ever with the exception of Fire Pro Wrestling D. Shenmue 2 leaps ahead of Shenmue 1 and improves on everything that was ever (wrongly stated) wrong with the game and is polished with an essence of greatness and perfection in mind. There is nothing wrong with Shenmue 2 except for some minor gliches so get out and import it to make your best investment Shenmue 1 was the best Dreamcast game ever with the exception of Fire Pro Wrestling D. Shenmue 2 leaps ahead of Shenmue 1 and improves on everything that was ever (wrongly stated) wrong with the game and is polished with an essence of greatness and perfection in mind. There is nothing wrong with Shenmue 2 except for some minor gliches so get out and import it to make your best investment in video gaming history. Expand
  10. IanS.
    Apr 7, 2003
    F..k all those bitches who hate Shenmue. I found it to be orgasmic.
  11. Tekke
    Jun 22, 2005
    Shenmue-step into another reality!
  12. PeetC.
    Nov 21, 2006
    Despite the someimes odd dialogue and constant load time, it is the most immersive, entertaining experience in gaming.
  13. HuguesB.
    Feb 3, 2006
    Really good sequel, if you loved the first one you won't be desapointed. If dreamcast version is hard to find, Xbox got it.
  14. DustyDonotworry
    May 21, 2003
    I have it for the xbox and part 1 for th DC. I have not found a game that comes close to how fun and great Shenmue games are. I can't wait for part 3.
  15. PeterW.
    Oct 27, 2004
    Awesome,one of the greatest games i have ever played.....a masterpeice.cant wait for the third instalment, if it ever comes.
  16. DanielC.
    Feb 11, 2006
    The best foreign game that i have played.
  17. BrianM.
    Nov 9, 2007
    The second best game ever made, the first being Shenmue. Absolutely amazing. Words can't describe it.
  18. BobMarley
    Dec 15, 2001
    This game was awesome... i loved it man!
  19. Jun 26, 2011
    shenmue is a very inovative and fresh new typ of game . you cant compare it to any thing els out there even though this game is 10 years old there still isnt any thing since then thats remotely like this game. you play as Ryu in 1980s japan who's father is murdered by a myserous man named lan di. your goal is to find out about this man . the game play is hard to sum up . its abit being ashenmue is a very inovative and fresh new typ of game . you cant compare it to any thing els out there even though this game is 10 years old there still isnt any thing since then thats remotely like this game. you play as Ryu in 1980s japan who's father is murdered by a myserous man named lan di. your goal is to find out about this man . the game play is hard to sum up . its abit being a detective questioning people for info , fighting people in a Virtau fighter style combat , some dragons lair QTE , open world exploration with lots of side stuff to do like playing in a arcade ,collecting toys and more . the fighting controls are pretty solid . the controls when walking around are stiff and the camera fights you alot in small area's . the voice acting can be pretty bad. in some cases laughably bad but this game came out in a day when good voice acting in games still wasnt seen to often . you also can get a job as a fork lift driver which for some reason i just had alot of fun driving it around delivering crates to the ware houses tryin to make that $. i also had alot of fun in the arcade playing darts and hang on. this game to me is a step in the right direction for new and innovating games and i wish we could see more games like this it may not be polished to perfection but it does enough right to get a 9 in my book. Expand
  20. Jan 19, 2011
    I was reminded of this game while playing Heavy Rain recently and I can see how at the time this game was such a breakthrough in gaming. At it's heart an RPG but different to anything made to that point. A great experience overall.
  21. Sep 18, 2011
    easily the best game ever produced. even though it had its flaws, it was simply revolutionary in many aspects. most importantly of course the back then STUNNING graphics. i remember when i was watching one of those 320x240 clips of the intro before it was released and somebody was standing a couple of feet away and asked "what movie is that?". i watched that clip again and again foreasily the best game ever produced. even though it had its flaws, it was simply revolutionary in many aspects. most importantly of course the back then STUNNING graphics. i remember when i was watching one of those 320x240 clips of the intro before it was released and somebody was standing a couple of feet away and asked "what movie is that?". i watched that clip again and again for probably half an hour, drooling.
    and then the open world concept, the overall cinematic feeling, all the little things one could do, the epic feeling of the story, the incredibly well-done fighting system (i was skeptical whether it would work well at first but it really did...), the music which was just as beautiful as the graphics...
    it was just amazing and i'm afraid i will never experience anything like it ever again in my lifetime. graphics these days suck in comparison (obviously always in respect to current times) and the scope of games is fairly minuscule. from a pure conceptual point of view, i guess one could compare GTA to it. but there, the graphics and story are lacking.
  22. Mar 26, 2011
    Quite simply the greatest game ever made. Amazing story, amazing characters, great gameplay and graphics. Something truly special. Worth buying a Dreamcast just for this one game.
  23. Apr 19, 2013
    Overall, Shenmue is without doubt in my opinion the finest game ever made. Quite how Shenmue 1 and 2 stack up to one another is unclear to me, as they are both breathtaking and outstanding in their own ways.

It's simply magical. It's hard to truly do this game justice with words, but it is an immersive, exciting, poetic and captivating experience that you will most likely remember and take with you forever.

Do yourself a favour and play Shenmue, you won't regret it!
  24. Apr 10, 2015
    Possibly the greatest gaming experience you will ever have. Shenmue 1 was a good build-up and prologue (and an amazing game), but Shenmue 2 simply blows it out of the water. The environments, gameplay, storytelling, and character development are second to none. Once I started my first playthrough I could hardly put down the controller. The game hardly has a dull moment, and if you canPossibly the greatest gaming experience you will ever have. Shenmue 1 was a good build-up and prologue (and an amazing game), but Shenmue 2 simply blows it out of the water. The environments, gameplay, storytelling, and character development are second to none. Once I started my first playthrough I could hardly put down the controller. The game hardly has a dull moment, and if you can survive the relentless quick time events, it's an absolute blast. I just wish Sega would wise up and find a way to bring us the next two or three games. Expand
  25. May 25, 2016
    It's kinda sad that its been nearly 15 years since SEGA started throwing in the towel and discontinues not only the Dreamcast, but buried in the home console market and the dream just nearly died too soon. Even though I haven't even own a Dreamcast, but I was floored by playing a criminally under-appreciated RPG game that's stands the test of time. And that game was Shenmue. No, notIt's kinda sad that its been nearly 15 years since SEGA started throwing in the towel and discontinues not only the Dreamcast, but buried in the home console market and the dream just nearly died too soon. Even though I haven't even own a Dreamcast, but I was floored by playing a criminally under-appreciated RPG game that's stands the test of time. And that game was Shenmue. No, not Shenmue II (Get it right, Metacritic. Shenmue is only available for the OG XBOX console), just the original Shenmue. It was eventually become the Dreamcasts last gasp at creating a world like I've never seen before. I fell in love with this game as much as everyone does. Not only I enjoyed the peaceful soundtrack, but an lists of jaw-dropping graphics, a Final Fantasy-ish story that is perfect, the gameplay was so special in my view, outlandish characters and a blended amount of hype that made series creator Yu Suzuki very proud and very sad on how developing a long hard cycle for the game that has took a long time to build and it went through development hell just after Shenmue II because fans desperately wants serious questions why an announcement to Shenmue III never happened. I also give a extra praise to AM2 for adding new features that had to be played online by using an somewhat obscure Dreamcast keyboard and mouse so that you can chat with so many players online and QTE (quick time events) is entirely focuses on the player has to choose right or wrong decisions to make sure you are keeping track in progress. It's a gifted open-world adventure that keeps pushing us together and as of today, several open-world games continue to buck the trend after Shenmue (which continues to feature an outpouring of support by fans around the world despite the Dreamcast's short-lived lifespan). Let's face it! GTA III, Fallout's 3 and 4, Bioshock, Skyrim, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VII, the originator of the open-world genre, both Ultima and Myst, Super Mario 64, and The Legend of Zelda. And don't forget No Man's Sky for the PS4 is coming up soon and so does E3 2016.

I know SEGA is in rough shape right now, but I got to thinking if they were be able to breath new life and announce a big comeback in the console market, I would love to see a Dreamcast 2 in the future. Good news: now that the Kickstater campaign was a huge success, my prediction at E3 will be an announcement to the most anticipated games of the century, Shenmue III, to be announced in 2017 and l wish it could be a unaminous GOTY contender. Please SEGA, make an Shenmue I and II HD Remaster for me? I'm gonna be so tearfully joyed.
  26. Nov 21, 2013
    This is a game that took me beyond, it has no rival to date.
    I played this on the Dreamcast when it first came out, I was a lad back then, and wow, the sheer scope, the advancement in gameplay and graphics, it hit me deep and hard, and brings me joy and great memories to this day.
    An amazing game that is unforgettable.
  27. Mar 19, 2012
    unique, a masterpiece of gaming
  28. Jun 28, 2012
    This game brings me back. The dreamcast was such a great little console and this game is true the consoles defining gem. The game world is highly interactive and oozes atmosphere. The storyline and music and top quality. The acting and dialog is a bit campy, but done in true Sega spirit. This game needs to get remastered on HD consoles. Along with Shenmue II.
  29. Oct 27, 2012
    I'm keeping this one short,I can sum this game up in 3 words,BEST GAME....EVER!!!From the moment I started playing this gem at 1st the visuals blew me away,then it went on to have the most ingrossing storys in gaming,& the fact that you could just pop into your local arcade & actually play arcade perfect versions of Outrun,Space Harrier & Afterburner 2 was just showing off!Every gamerI'm keeping this one short,I can sum this game up in 3 words,BEST GAME....EVER!!!From the moment I started playing this gem at 1st the visuals blew me away,then it went on to have the most ingrossing storys in gaming,& the fact that you could just pop into your local arcade & actually play arcade perfect versions of Outrun,Space Harrier & Afterburner 2 was just showing off!Every gamer worth thier salt needs to experience Shenmue,simple as that. Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2012
    Shenmue 1 is at the top of my favourite games of all time. Once I picked the controller up, I couldn't put it down until the game ended. There is so much to do, I used to spend hours upon hours in the YOU Arcade, collecting toys, buying sodas trying to get a winning can.. Ah, memories. The story is extremely engaging & immersive, the world is absolutely stunning and it's the first game toShenmue 1 is at the top of my favourite games of all time. Once I picked the controller up, I couldn't put it down until the game ended. There is so much to do, I used to spend hours upon hours in the YOU Arcade, collecting toys, buying sodas trying to get a winning can.. Ah, memories. The story is extremely engaging & immersive, the world is absolutely stunning and it's the first game to use dynamic-weather in a 3D world. This game was ahead of it's time, and laid the foundation for many current-gen games. If you love video games, japanese culture, or just love an adventure, don't look any further than Shenmue. Expand

#2 Most Discussed Dreamcast Game of 2001
#7 Most Shared Dreamcast Game of 2001

1. The big improvement for me is that everything is a lot less linear then before; it really does feel that your actions directly influence Ryo’s progress through the adventure.
  2. I loved Shenmue. But as great as I thought that game was, nothing could have prepared me for Shenmue II.
  3. Shenmue II is so much better than its predecessor, refining nearly every aspect of the original. It's a polished game that serves as a showcase for the DC and the evolution of the RPG genre, and fans should definitely find a way to play it.