Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth DS

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Feb 16, 2010
8.4

1. May 18, 2012
    I was hesitant to give this game such a high score, and hell it probably doesn't even deserve it, but I simply cannot stress this enough - this is THE best game in the entire ace attorney series, hands down. The best set of characters (Edgeworth!), arguably the best music, much more interactive than the others (actual point and click gameplay, Logic, etc.) and on top of that, funny andI was hesitant to give this game such a high score, and hell it probably doesn't even deserve it, but I simply cannot stress this enough - this is THE best game in the entire ace attorney series, hands down. The best set of characters (Edgeworth!), arguably the best music, much more interactive than the others (actual point and click gameplay, Logic, etc.) and on top of that, funny and witty as hell (not going to give examples to keep this spoiler-free). Cons? Well, the last case drags like hell, but that's about it. Must buy for any DS owner. Expand
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    A bit annoying to play sometimes because of the 3rd person perspective slowing things down instead of just touching things with the pointer, but apart from that, maybe, probably, the best AA game in terms of gameplay. More complex than the last ones, more interesting than the last ones, more fun to play around than the last ones, it's probably the best in terms of gameplay and I had a tonA bit annoying to play sometimes because of the 3rd person perspective slowing things down instead of just touching things with the pointer, but apart from that, maybe, probably, the best AA game in terms of gameplay. More complex than the last ones, more interesting than the last ones, more fun to play around than the last ones, it's probably the best in terms of gameplay and I had a ton of fun with all of it.

Characters aren't quite as good though. The foes are great for most of them, the Final Battle(yes it's still over-the-top) with the Ambassador is just so much fun at every step of the way, Kay Faraday's a great sidekick...but the rest is just kinda less good. Edgeworth isn't really himself and his cold, All-must-be-in-order character has been nerfed to become a bit more sociable a guy...and I think it doesn't suit him too much. He also doesn't seem to be out for Justice as much as he seems to be out to get rid of people who personally annoy or offend him, which is not as fulfilling. Gumshoe and several "rival" characters like that Chinese Wolfman just sound about as uninteresting as it gets. Their comic relief dies quickly and I can say the same about a lot of people in this game.

Actually, this is the real problem of AAI Miles Edgeworth: the Comic Relief. IT. IS. EVERYWHERE!
    My guess is that they saw Edgeworth as too cold and rough-cutting as a protagonist, so they nerfed him into a nicer, more sociable guy, instead of his hardass tsundere character from earlier games, and they also added waaay too much comic relief to make up for Edgeworth being Edgeworth. The result is an overkill of comedy that doesn't fall as well as it did in the last games and just isn't fun...along with Edgeworth not being the amazing character he used to be.

To sum my memories of it up, I'd say the gameplay was fun and mostly intuitive and its cases, all tied together(which is usually not too good a thing) , were mostly enjoyable, but it suffers from a pretty misplaced attempt at making Edgeworth a character everyone can like. Edgeworth was always the hardass who didn't like anybody and didn't want to be liked because he was out for justice and punishment as the top prosecutor of his court. And here, well, not so much.

Still a great AA game that's worth trying.
  3. Feb 28, 2014
    A very good game that introduces some new elements like controlling your character directly (but in a very limited way) as well as a logic system where Miles connects the dots. I have to say I kinda liked the previous games a little better.
  4. LindsayW
    Feb 18, 2010
    It has all of the excellent writing you've come to know and love from the series, an entertaining cast, and is every bit as challenging and engaging as its predecessors. Lots of inside jokes and cameos to thrill fans of previous games, but it's welcoming to newcomers and is definitely a stand-alone. The ability to actually walk around crime scenes really draws the game together It has all of the excellent writing you've come to know and love from the series, an entertaining cast, and is every bit as challenging and engaging as its predecessors. Lots of inside jokes and cameos to thrill fans of previous games, but it's welcoming to newcomers and is definitely a stand-alone. The ability to actually walk around crime scenes really draws the game together and makes it feel more engaging, and offers a lot of opportunities for cute animations and visual gags. As always, the only thing keeping this from being a 10 is the occasionally frustrating logic involved -- you have to go from argument A to B with evidence C, even when it seems like D is the better way to go about things. It's a little arbitrary at times, but the penalties are much less severe and there is much more room for error this go around. Expand
  5. Jonathan
    Feb 22, 2010
    I know when you see a ten you think I'm crazy. And you probably aren't too far off. But when I play all the ace attorney games, including this one, I just get such an emotional experience overall. It really is almost all about the characters, but what gets overlooked all the time is how much the MUSIC draws you into the intense testimonies and discoveries! It is this sense of I know when you see a ten you think I'm crazy. And you probably aren't too far off. But when I play all the ace attorney games, including this one, I just get such an emotional experience overall. It really is almost all about the characters, but what gets overlooked all the time is how much the MUSIC draws you into the intense testimonies and discoveries! It is this sense of discovery that makes video games and interactive entertainment as a whole so unique! These games surely aren't everyones cup of tea, and yes, this latest game has the same problems as the prior games, such as some inconsistent logic and inability to fast forward through text. And yes, this is probably the easiest game in the series. However, the game also has all the brilliant writing and charming characters as the previous entries, as well as an engaging new plotline and investigation sequences that are well laid out throughout the five great cases. But most importantly, this game is missing none of that satisfying sense of discovery that will make you smile, laugh, and get some intense chills up and down your spine as you try to figure out everything once and for all! I just hope these games never ever end, and that they keep evolving and refining the amazing formula and music. My only request for the next game--MORE suspicious suspects so that the solution isn't too obvious (I'm wise to disguised bad guys by the fifth game). Also, some of the darkness from the previous entries is missing. Thanks for bringing this series to America capcom! Expand
  6. Dec 21, 2010
    Too linear, predictable, and condescending compared to the previous games in the series but despite these shortcomings, it's still an entertaining Ace Attorney experience. Too bad it tried to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with.
  7. May 8, 2013
    Very different from other games in the series. But it is still a great game. The soundtrack is amazing, The graphics are great, the games story is very good. And the investigating is actually great fun. Don't treat it like your normal Ace Attorney game. There is a big difference between the two types of gameplay
  8. Nov 15, 2015
    Really good Ace Attorney stuff. Enjoyed the old and the new mechanics a lot. Characters were mostly great - but it's the gameplay that was probably the best aspect. Recommended.
  9. Jul 16, 2015
    When you think about it from a gameplay perspective, it's not that different from the main games. You switch between investigation and argument a few times in each chapter .The difference is how the investigation is conducted, and you have rebbutals instead of testimonies, which practically function the same. In previous titles, you argued in court to find the truth. In this game, youWhen you think about it from a gameplay perspective, it's not that different from the main games. You switch between investigation and argument a few times in each chapter .The difference is how the investigation is conducted, and you have rebbutals instead of testimonies, which practically function the same. In previous titles, you argued in court to find the truth. In this game, you argue on the crime scene to prove the truth. It seens like it should be the other way around. The absence of finding the truth in arguments makes them less memorable.

Now to cover the investigations. They are very different, as you stay on the same property the entire time instead of going back in forth between the crime scene and the detention center. Because te areas are united, You walk around the areas. This opens up a lot more places to instigate. In all, the new investigations were a blast for me. I wished they'd've kept this style in future installments. Playing though edgeworth's shoes, a character who you've gotten to know well in previous titles is a pleasant suprise. All the cases were connected, which j found really interesting, as you got one step closer to the yatagarasu and smuggling ring leader's identity. The new characters, specifically Lang and Kay, are really well developed and likeable.

tl;dr, this is a great twist on the ace attorney formula that all fans should enjoy.

I'd give this game a higher score if it's sequel, the Japan-only Gyakuten Kenji 2, wasn't infinitely better than the original. Playing GK2 made me realize that this game's storyline isn't as good as other AA games.
  10. Jun 11, 2014
    This game is just as great as the other ones, and it actually makes investigating a lot more fun than in the previous games. It brings a lot of new stuff to the table, and I liked almost every one of them. The new "Logic" mechanic is fun, the confrontations get more epic than ever before, and the soundtrack has a lot of amazing songs to offer. I totally recommend this.
  11. Apr 8, 2015
    Steeldude
    Apr 8, 2015
    8 Miles Edgeworth is my favorite AA character and here we go, he shines in his own spin-off title! Or does he? For the most part, he does. The game is largely similar to the usual Ace Attorney formula, it is a visual novel that focuses on murder cases and investigations. In this game, you actually (for the first time) get to investigate crime scenes as a whole
    Steeldude
    Apr 8, 2015

For the most part, he does. The game is largely similar to the usual Ace Attorney formula, it is a visual novel that focuses on murder cases and investigations. In this game, you actually (for the first time) get to investigate crime scenes as a whole by walking around as Miles (thus finally seeing full character sprites) and check different things. While the cases in particular (of which there are 5) are not THAT entertaining on their own, I like the fact that they are all interconnected and finally make sense at the end of the whole game.
    Unfortunately, the trial segments are replaced by simple conversations with accused people, so even though the Pursuit music is awesome in this game, the overall thrill is just not there. Miles also has his own ability, Logic, which is not as interesting as magatama or Apollo's bracelet, as Logic basically only consists of connecting statements that go together, but it's still a new element, even though not a particularly exciting one.

Overall, I found this game better than both JfA and AJ. The obligatory female side kick character (Kay) is my favorite one so far and you'll get to meet a lot of familiar characters from previous games, making this game not as big of a spin-off as you might think. No Phoenix or Maya this time around, but surprisingly, unlike Apollo, Miles is capable of standing on his own. A decent game with a decent story, good game play (for an AA title), okay new characters and great music (actually, the best music so far).
  12. Feb 10, 2016
    Great game, it's nice to see the story from another perspective, in this case Edgeworth, the gameplay is the most different, you can control Edgeworth and search for clues, it's different enough to call it new and original and has also the same gameplay from the other installments so people that are familiar with the series can get into it. Great stories, great characters, great game. IGreat game, it's nice to see the story from another perspective, in this case Edgeworth, the gameplay is the most different, you can control Edgeworth and search for clues, it's different enough to call it new and original and has also the same gameplay from the other installments so people that are familiar with the series can get into it. Great stories, great characters, great game. I hope Capcom brings the second game to NA and keep making more, it could be the Ace Attorney spinoff series. Recommended. Expand

#11 Most Discussed DS Game of 2010
#15 Most Shared DS Game of 2010

1. Game Informer
    I enjoyed my time with Edgeworth, but it's the weakest entry in the series. [Issue#203, p.95]
  2. Nintendo Gamer
    Edgeworth is always good company, but what this spin-off fixes in execution, it loses in melodrama. Still, nice to have the gang back. [Feb 2010, p.58]
  3. Games Master UK
    Gently tweaks the mechanics and upholds the writing smarts. Needs more menace, though. [Mar 2010, p.77]