8.8

1. Aug 5, 2014
    A nice evolution of Advance Wars. Intelligent Systems took a huge risk here and completely overhauled the Visual and even strategic nature of the game. While some may argue that the new gameplay elements are for the worse, I think that is largely just nostalgia talking. As someone who has played every AW released in the US, I think the new CO system is amazing, and the game overallA nice evolution of Advance Wars. Intelligent Systems took a huge risk here and completely overhauled the Visual and even strategic nature of the game. While some may argue that the new gameplay elements are for the worse, I think that is largely just nostalgia talking. As someone who has played every AW released in the US, I think the new CO system is amazing, and the game overall disposes of the clutter and imbalance issues that dual strike had.

For once in an AW, there is a serious story. And it's actually fairly compelling, I would say even on the level of a good JRPG story. Days of Ruin takes war seriously, and recognizes the repurcusions of it, which is a nice change of pace from the fun and games of previous AWs. The difficulty is also set pretty high for the last few missions (I mean really really high) so the campaign lasts a good while, and S ranking the campaign is harder than ever.

Overall, definitely rivals, if not bests previous AWs in quality and value. Excellent game.
  2. Feb 18, 2013
    Bottomline: Overall this is just the kind of reboot this series needed. There is so much to explore in this game, which makes the game so interesting and, what makes this game really amazing is how, they add all these new dimensions without damaging the core mechanics in advance wars that players have come to love. There was something truly interesting about Advance wars days of ruin thatBottomline: Overall this is just the kind of reboot this series needed. There is so much to explore in this game, which makes the game so interesting and, what makes this game really amazing is how, they add all these new dimensions without damaging the core mechanics in advance wars that players have come to love. There was something truly interesting about Advance wars days of ruin that stuck with me long after I put down my D.S and that was how much they explore in the game. There is a lot of depth to be explored in this game and while many players might enjoy the more cute and colorful experience of this game's predecessor there was so much about this game that truly caused players to explore the darker side of war. Players get to explore topics like post-apocalyptic worlds, unregulated science, charismatic megalomaniacs, how individuals select role-models, the dark side of being a soldier, fear, hope, mercenaries, governments, etc. all wrapped up in a turned based platform long-time fans of the series will love and is quick to learn for new players.

In terms of game play there is a significant decrease in the number of commanders you get to choose from in multi-player mode, each commander holds little advantage over other commanders and Co-powers are less dominant in this game then in other games that share the advance war title. However, there is a major benefit to this new design and that how the playing field is leveled, which means players need to better major their resources in order to achieve a strategic advantage in battle against friends and AI enemies.
  3. Dec 23, 2012
    The story was brilliant, I enjoyed the living dickinson out of it. The gameplay was great, and everything about it was great... BUT the difficulty was quite weird. The level, "A Hero's Farewell" is one of the hardest (if not the hardest) things I have ever done in a game. The final level is a cakewalk compared to it. But this game is still just fantastic, and one of my favorite DS games.The story was brilliant, I enjoyed the living dickinson out of it. The gameplay was great, and everything about it was great... BUT the difficulty was quite weird. The level, "A Hero's Farewell" is one of the hardest (if not the hardest) things I have ever done in a game. The final level is a cakewalk compared to it. But this game is still just fantastic, and one of my favorite DS games. 9.25/10 BAM Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2012
    I think it was a great step foward for the franchise, the campaing mode contain an amazing story and I found the combat more balanced than the past advance wars games, I really liked the way CO power works and there is just no need for 50 COs in it (just as dual strike did). So, I think thats it, my dream of a more hardcore advance wars came true.
  5. Dec 21, 2011
    This is essentially the Advance Wars series perfected. In terms of gameplay, it is not such a major difference, but all the details are nailed and it is easily the best balanced game in the series, and the best turn based strategy game ever made, for that matter. Too bad they don't release it for iPhone, as I have essentially outgrown DS.
  6. Dec 16, 2011
    Probably the best Turn based game for the DS I've ever played. One of the only reasons why I have a DS in the first place besides Pokemon. The post - apocalyptic change was pretty cool, it really adds more flavor to the game. Very good game overall.
  7. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is very fun, the music is great and the difficulty, while high, manages to please. The story and setting also get a little more darker, which in this case isn't a bad decision at all, and it actually benefits the game. Characters are also likeable, and villains are detestable. Perfect!
    For TBS fans, this should be a must play. It's really awesome.
  8. May 23, 2011
    This a really good ds game but somtimes gets boring and slow but most of the time it's fun it has good graphics for ds and there's so many classes and they all have good and bad things but it's a fun game overall!
  9. Aug 27, 2010
    I am a fan of the series, but I was disturbed by the direction of this game. Part of the allure of the previous installments was that it allowed for a Turn Based Strategy game with a followable plot but none of the emotional depth. Bringing the ethics of war, genocide, and genetic engineering into the game made it more mature, but lost the causal gameplay status, in my opinion.

1. If there were anything like the gaming equivalent of comfort food, Advance Wars would be it. [Feb 2008, p.86]
    Nintendo has removed some previous features and added a few new ones, but when it's all added up I miss the old more than I like the new. Days of Ruin still delivers the fun, though, and strategy fans will once again have their hands full.
    Days of Ruin offers plenty new, but it's possible it got rid of too much of the old. But just like with our ol' buddy Jake, we're OK with trading up all those bonus modes in Dual Strike for more tactically oriented units and real online play (though it'll still take us some time to get used to this new CO gameplay). Advance Wars has finally advanced.