Battles of Prince of Persia DS

• Release Date: Dec 6, 2005
7.7

1. DavidH.
    Feb 1, 2006
    You can't really knock a game for trying to be creative. I think it's a nice change. Sure it could have been better, but with the graphical limitations of the DS, what more could they really have done? A 3D game just wouldn't look nice. I thought this was a creative way to get around that.
    Dec 8, 2005
    Not bad, not great, but if you like the idea of a strategy game driven by the cards you play, it's actually pretty good. I don't know why everyone is knocking this without playing it. It's actually a pretty novel game. I've only played the first 3 levels but so-far it's quite entertaining. Sure, UBI maybe wanted someting to compete with PSP MG-AC!D, but this game Not bad, not great, but if you like the idea of a strategy game driven by the cards you play, it's actually pretty good. I don't know why everyone is knocking this without playing it. It's actually a pretty novel game. I've only played the first 3 levels but so-far it's quite entertaining. Sure, UBI maybe wanted someting to compete with PSP MG-AC!D, but this game is unique by itself. First it is a 2D game set in the PoP universe between PoP-SoT and PoP-WW. It fills the gap in the story. Pretty cool by itself - enough said, but keep in mind there is some text to read because it is a good story driven game. The gameplay is typical of a strategy wargame, moving troops around and making attacks. The kicker with this game is that your genergal can only give so many orders per turn based on the number on the card played for that turn. You have to think seriously about how many troops you want to move so you don't run out of cards depending on how you've built your card deck. There are also other cards besides order cards that have special effects for your troops or magical attacks. This game is not just another MTG or Yu-gi-oh wanna be, it's someting totally hybrid. The battles are structured on a triangle strength system like from Fire Emblem where swords>archers, archers>pikes, pikes>swords. Control-wise I thought the game was easy to pick up with a low learning curve. The game makes good use of the touch-screen in a meaningful way as most of your control can be done there. This makes moving troops, playing cards, and organizing your deck easier. The graphics are a little weak, but they are done in a charming PoP style. The battle animation gets repetitive unless your doing magical or special attacks, but you can disable it. The sound is good and the music fits the PoP game perfectly. Value-wise, I wish the game had wi-fi play, but the multiplayer options seem good as there is hot-seat with on cartridge. I haven't tried this myself yet, and you can also trade cards via wireless-link. Tilt-wise, I'm gonna reccomend this game to anyone who likes card-based games. Furthermore, if you like strategy war games this one may be for you. There are 9 generals to choose from (3 Persia, 3 India, 3 Daeva) and they all have different traits from melee, ranged, and magic combat. There are also many different strength and different abilty units, with like 200 cards to collect... And it's a strategy game so it's different every time you play due to the computer AI, which seems pretty decent so far. Sure the game's a little different from other turn-based games you're use to (Advance Wars) but it is very unique and something different. If you like card collecting and games that are driven by a good story that you have control over through strategic battles, then at least rent BoPoP to try it out. C'mon people, give it a chance! Expand

#33 Most Discussed DS Game of 2005
#13 Most Shared DS Game of 2005

Rather than delivering a solid title full of familiar gameplay an alternate route was taken. While it does have a few moments of entertainment, there just aren’t enough reasons to invest time and money into this product.
  2. Far too similar to games that are wonderful. So while it's not hideous or unplayable, it constantly reminds you of a far better game you could be playing instead.
  3. Underneath its modest looks and intimidating, complex battle system is a turn-based strategy game that is surprisingly fun and satisfying.