Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard DS

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Jun 13, 2008
8.2

1. Sep 1, 2011
    An absolute beauty of a game... This is hardcore RPG dungeon crawling at its best! Also, a BIG improvement on the original!
    Only possible let down (not a big one, though) is that in this installment the F.O.E.s (not the big bosses, but the mini-bosses) don't give your characters any experience points, so there is no motivation to kill more than a couple of each kind to get the special item drops... Also, I did like the character art better on the first one, especially the non-playable character portraits. But, overall, it is better than the original!
    Warning: this type of games are an acquired taste... Platformer and FPS gamers need not apply! (Unless you want to try something REALLY different.)
  2. Tomd
    Aug 30, 2008
    Amazing, this is the only game I have played since I got it. I have tons of console games to play but this game is deep and simple and super challenging. Great!
  3. SteveM
    Aug 24, 2008
    Ten, ten, ten, ten. One of the best RPG's I have ever played in my life, and I'm 30 years old. Those afraid of a challenge or who have little patience, move on ahead, this ain't for you.
  4. [anonymous]
    Jun 20, 2008
    All of you gamers raised on games like Halo and Lego Star Wars, don't even try this one. But if you have been looking for a real challenge, you must buy this.

#46 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    Etrian Odyssey 2 isn't very ambitious, but it's still plenty of fun. [July 2008, p.88]
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    This sequel feels like the original game on expert mode - and that's a good thing. [July 2008, p.81]
    Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard is everything you loved about the original, except even better.