8.4

1. Apr 9, 2011
    This game is a true classic, one of the quintessential games of the genre. Anyone that's played the original SNES title and liked it will be able to go on and on about how they liked it. The bard is still spoony, and hang it all I cracked up all over again once I hit that line. The graphics are good, and on the whole the game stays true to the original. So why the 6 rating? BecauseThis game is a true classic, one of the quintessential games of the genre. Anyone that's played the original SNES title and liked it will be able to go on and on about how they liked it. The bard is still spoony, and hang it all I cracked up all over again once I hit that line. The graphics are good, and on the whole the game stays true to the original. So why the 6 rating? Because the %^*#!$* thing after a point becomes as hard as trying to solo an original Everquest character to the level cap while pretending the bazaar doesn't exist. While the high level of customization helped mitigate this somewhat, I found myself grinding far more than I felt was fun. By the end of the game, I simply felt overwhelmed as the difficulty combined with an overly complex skill system. Sure, I felt rewarded after I beat it, but the next time I play through this game, I'll replace the memory battery in the original cart and play it on my SNES. Collapse
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    The best RPG of Nintendo DS. It is a very beautiful Final Fantasy, with an interesting and unforgettable history and a few prominent figures. New and powerful graphs, great game play, spectacular intro, precious music and little more that to ask.
  3. Jun 11, 2012
    I absolutely hate this game! What some may call "challenge" i call extremely poor enemy design. At no point in time was this game ever what i would call difficult. What it is, is cheap and tedious. After the two thirds mark, every area is packed with super cheap super enemies that can not only wipe out half your group in a single attack but it opens with said super attack and you face themI absolutely hate this game! What some may call "challenge" i call extremely poor enemy design. At no point in time was this game ever what i would call difficult. What it is, is cheap and tedious. After the two thirds mark, every area is packed with super cheap super enemies that can not only wipe out half your group in a single attack but it opens with said super attack and you face them in groups. As soon as i got to the moon i simply gave up because i had realized that the game was no longer fun. In order to progress you are forced to grind for HOURS upon HOURS ( i tend to grind a bit naturally playing RPGs and even i wasnt even close to where the game required me to be ). Then again from what ive seen even grinding does close to nothing to counter cheap mobs, for instance a cave in the underworld has some sort of chimera monster with an attack called "Blaze" that does average 1.7k damage to everybody in your group (and yes it opens with this attack before you can respond). At level 40 it was kicking my ass left and right to the point where i had to run from it every time or face death, at lv 57 i went back and STILL a single blaze killed 2 members and sent one other into yellow. If you love challenge then you are looking in the wrong place, if you want a game that is only challenging because enemies are so poorly designed then this is the game for you Expand
  4. HarshCritic
    Feb 20, 2009
    This has to be one of the crappiest games i've ever played, the start is incredibly boring and it gets extremely tedious f you keep running into monsters. pathetic attempt of an RPG
  5. RIchC
    Oct 22, 2008
    I had only played III on DS in the series before this and this is much much better. Only fault is that the last boss is too easy, and the battle system can be little slow early on in the game, apart from that an absolute great game.
  6. Dec 29, 2012
    Not the best RPG on the Nintendo DS, but Final Fantasy IV is an incredible experience that withstands the test of time. Excellent story and characters, decent gameplay, great graphics, and amazing soundtrack.
  7. Oct 23, 2010
    A real good example on how to remake a great game up to modern standards. This game is a good reflection of the original while improving on new areas of the game.
  8. Feb 23, 2012
    The best RPG experience on the DS, it's simply great. The graphics are excellent for the DS, there are full VA cutscenes weaved into the story, lots of customization and everything that FFIII missed. Active time battle system is still great after all these years and the difficulty keeps you on your toes. A game you don't want to miss on the DS.
  9. JackH
    Aug 19, 2008
    Great game. Much better than the awful Final Fantasy III iteration that had absolutely NO redeemable qualities (basic good vs. evil plot with NO character development).
    I digress, this game has what makes an rpg great...but my one big nag (CON) is the battle speed. GRUELINGLY slooooowww. Even with battle speed set to max it still takes forever to do anything. seriously, was near 20 seconds of waiting b/w attack turns. To make matters worse still...an enemy had cast SLOW on me...i already felt as though i had omega slow cast on me without any enemy help :P. but when slow is cast on you it's 2x worse (>_<). This is the only thing that hinders this game imo. but it is so annoying that it hurts it by 3 points...sorry but i don't have all day to wait to fight mobs in an rpg.
  10. JackH
    Jul 29, 2008
    A fantastic remake that's great for people new to the game and old-schoolers alike! Perfectly tweaked difficulty, and the augment system surprised me with its enjoyable diversity. It's fun to see all the cut scenes more fleshed out, the dialogue is much more well-written throughout, and there are a couple significant additions to the story (one part, in particular).
  11. TroyP.
    Jul 28, 2008
    This is the greatest RPG of all time. Amazing story, great characters, and challenging gameplay.
  12. MikeG
    Dec 2, 2009
    It's kind of hard for me to get excited about a game that was released just a few years ago on GBA. Sure it looks nice, but that really doesn't justify it.
  13. ThomasW
    Feb 8, 2009
    Nostalgic perfection - I cannot have asked for a more faithful and gorgeous reimagining of this landmark game. Definitely a 10!
  14. AnonymousMC
    Dec 24, 2008
    I love Final Fantasy 4 DS! Whenever I have nothing to do, I always play it. It's enough to warm gamer's hearts from the 1991 SNES Version.
  15. FouadM
    Sep 29, 2008
    Great game, almost better than the original! Certainly a better version for the modern generation.
  16. Nov 4, 2010
    As I play through all the games in order (I'm currently on VI), this is my favorite of the first five. The story has anything you could possibly ask for in a fantasy story. There are plenty of likeable characters (well voiced in the cinematic scenes as well), and the gameplay is a lot of fun. Me personally, I enjoy not having to deal with the job system because it just adds too many moreAs I play through all the games in order (I'm currently on VI), this is my favorite of the first five. The story has anything you could possibly ask for in a fantasy story. There are plenty of likeable characters (well voiced in the cinematic scenes as well), and the gameplay is a lot of fun. Me personally, I enjoy not having to deal with the job system because it just adds too many more variables that I have to worry about. It's irritating for me to have to try things over and over because I'm not using the right classes, and then when I do, I have to level them up all over again. Here, the characters are cut and dry. Some are knights, some are dragoons, some are monks, etc. Another plus is that you can have 5 people in your party at once, which is the most of the first six games at least, so you can really lay the smack down on the enemies you fight. With everything I've said, I realize I can't say much that hasn't already been said, if anything. Final Fantasy IV has to be one of the highlights of the series, and even played out of context with III or V, it's a really fun game. Expand
  17. Mar 4, 2013
    Personally I liked the FF III Remake more. I dont know why but i could not get warm with this remake of Final Fantasy IV. Was almost at the end but did not have the motivation to play it trough.
  18. Sep 29, 2013
    While this is a remake of a game with many commonly spoiled details, it's easy to see why it was a classic. The characters are mostly well developed (except the twins for me.) and easy to attach to. And it was interesting for me to play with a party of 5 rather than the standard 4. The graphics are beautiful, if outdated now, as the story can be, but it's a very fun game. My onlyWhile this is a remake of a game with many commonly spoiled details, it's easy to see why it was a classic. The characters are mostly well developed (except the twins for me.) and easy to attach to. And it was interesting for me to play with a party of 5 rather than the standard 4. The graphics are beautiful, if outdated now, as the story can be, but it's a very fun game. My only gripe is that some bosses had no way for me to figure out a weakness or strategy on my own.
    Art: 8
    Music: 6
    Story: 8
    Gameplay: 8
  19. Oct 25, 2014
    The 7 goes for the DS version and thats being generous, i dont need one of my fav rpgs of all time getting ruined by ugly blocky dated 3D polygons. Get the psp version instead, i own both, and while i prefer the 2d psp one, the DS has some merits for the hardcore fans who wanna play several combinations of their beloved game. This one has voices and some cinematic sequences that aren'tThe 7 goes for the DS version and thats being generous, i dont need one of my fav rpgs of all time getting ruined by ugly blocky dated 3D polygons. Get the psp version instead, i own both, and while i prefer the 2d psp one, the DS has some merits for the hardcore fans who wanna play several combinations of their beloved game. This one has voices and some cinematic sequences that aren't needed to enjoy the beautiful tale that ff4 delivers. Expand
  20. Apr 9, 2011

If you are a big fan, then I can't see you being disappointed with the game unless you really hate the graphical style or the voices.
    Ultimately, Final Fantasy IV remains the same epic experience it was 17 years ago, and improvements on the DS are a welcome treat for fans of the series and newcomers to the franchise. [Aug 2008, p.80]
  3. The developers have done everything they needed to do to win over a new generation of Final Fantasy IV fans, but they've done disappointingly little to appeal to the existing ones. [Aug 2008, p.86]