Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon DS

7.0

1. hondo
    Feb 21, 2009
    Amazing game, pivotal game elements of characters dying makes it truly feel like a war game, they don't just faint or some crap, if you let your guys die, they DIE, so suit them up with what you need, and play smart, or you'll lose your characters, which the game does a brilliant job of getting you attached to.
  2. Jun 29, 2011
    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is a turn-based RPG that tells the story of Marth, a young prince who has to go into hiding after his home is taken over and must come back to defeat the shadow dragon and reclaim his throne. The story has over twenty chapters, and the levels are long and often very hard. when a character dies, they're dead permanently. they don't come back. so be careful. thereFire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is a turn-based RPG that tells the story of Marth, a young prince who has to go into hiding after his home is taken over and must come back to defeat the shadow dragon and reclaim his throne. The story has over twenty chapters, and the levels are long and often very hard. when a character dies, they're dead permanently. they don't come back. so be careful. there are over twenty different character classes, and many of them can be changed or enhanced. There are many different weapons as well as a weapons triangle, axes beat lances, lances beat swords, and swords beat axes. The graphics are fine for the DS, though not groundbreaking, and the story is pretty good. the characters are pretty cool, but Radiant Dawn's are better. the gameplay is really good and there are six difficulty levels for you to choose from. So no matter what kind of gamer you are, if you have a DS get this game. Expand
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    A fun game that offers a challenge. I both like and hate how when you lose someone they are gone. It sucks when you lose a really awesome character. However, the story is pretty good and the combat is awesome. Overall, its a fun game.
  4. Nov 20, 2012
    Not a bad game, but definitely could've been better, since its only half the original story. For the fans of the genre it may be a little easy (compared to Path of Radiance for example).
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent. A great strategy-RPG! How is a remake, it's a great opportunity for those who missed the NES to know the origin of this game...

Play this before play Fire Emblem Awakening.
  6. May 6, 2015
    this good game specialist marth come over to America and challenge are impressive me well by using my brain to think strategy, defensive and offensive. the sidequest are good, but people lose the unit just to access sidequest because there is another without losing character.
  7. May 10, 2012
    Make no mistake, this is a polished game. However, I hold Fire Emblem to a higher standard due to the quality of the other games, and this one fails compared to them. True this is a remake of a very old game, but nearly no attempt was made to flesh the story out or update the mechanics. Playing through it, I little attachment to my characters or the plot in general, which is simply toldMake no mistake, this is a polished game. However, I hold Fire Emblem to a higher standard due to the quality of the other games, and this one fails compared to them. True this is a remake of a very old game, but nearly no attempt was made to flesh the story out or update the mechanics. Playing through it, I little attachment to my characters or the plot in general, which is simply told through a short chapter description before each mission. Fire Emblem isn't just a tactics game! There are far better TBS games out there! It's appeal has always been the RPG element, the compelling story, and lovable characters. Strip FE from this, and it becomes only a solid, but not outstanding tactical role playing game. Expand
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. A game that is as Fire Emblem as you can get... if you are reading this in the 1990's. The game is a straight and faithful remake of the series first outing, "Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light", released for the Famicom in 1990. And that is where it's problems start: It is just as the game was in 1990. Sure, you have your Weapon Triangle now, sure, the graphicsFire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. A game that is as Fire Emblem as you can get... if you are reading this in the 1990's. The game is a straight and faithful remake of the series first outing, "Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light", released for the Famicom in 1990. And that is where it's problems start: It is just as the game was in 1990. Sure, you have your Weapon Triangle now, sure, the graphics are a lot better than they were back then, but at the core, this is a early 90's game. If you are ok with that, then I cannot stress this enough: Buy this game. It is a good game all by itself, but it just fails in comparison to other Fire Emblem games. A lot of the features a Fire Emblem fan has gotten accustomed to are missing in this title. Character development is almost nonexistent, the story is incredibly linear and rather dull from today's perspective, and the beloved support conversations from the GameBoy Advance games are not here either, taking away the character's depth. Despite that, however, it is still quite enjoyable as a turn-based strategy game.
    If you have ever played an other Fire Emblem, you should either be prepared to play something that feels pretty old, or you should want to dwelve into the franchises history. If you are interested in how it started, this is the way to go. If you look for a nice strategy game for the DS, this is the way to go. But if you think you get a high quality Fire Emblem with this game, you should probably stay away from it.
  9. FredJ
    Jan 25, 2010
    What have thye done to you Fire Emblem? As a remake of the first FE game, I expected a lot. I've been playing FE since it came out in the US and have gone out of my way to paly many of the Japanese only games like FE6. This, however, is an abomination. There are NO support conversations, NO character depth, NO sense of a Fire Emblem game. What made FE unique was the personalities of What have thye done to you Fire Emblem? As a remake of the first FE game, I expected a lot. I've been playing FE since it came out in the US and have gone out of my way to paly many of the Japanese only games like FE6. This, however, is an abomination. There are NO support conversations, NO character depth, NO sense of a Fire Emblem game. What made FE unique was the personalities of the characters, the bond you built with them that made you WANT to keep them alive. Take that away and you get discarable troops wish you merely use as bait. The beautiful 2D portraits are gone, replaced by clunky and ugly 3D. 3D combat cutscenes would have been nice, but they screwed that up too. Every class pretty much has the same attack, compared to the different animations of previous games. Long story short for a traditional FE fan this game sucks Expand
  10. Dec 30, 2012
    Quite good.It's nothing compared to the GBA pair(Because I don't include FE6 as it's a Japanese exclusive >_< )It's still a good game with an outdated storyline and some of my least favourite characters in Fire Emblem games.Still good though.
  11. OmanL
    Apr 2, 2009
    I seriously struggled to finish this game, and not because of it's difficulty. It's the least accomplished and least-rewarding Fire Emblem Gmae that's been released outside of Japan. In fairness to it, it is a remake, but paying full price for it isn't really worth it. The first problem is the story. It's virtually non-existant. No events or sequences between I seriously struggled to finish this game, and not because of it's difficulty. It's the least accomplished and least-rewarding Fire Emblem Gmae that's been released outside of Japan. In fairness to it, it is a remake, but paying full price for it isn't really worth it. The first problem is the story. It's virtually non-existant. No events or sequences between chapters, just a "we won" speach and a map-screen intro to the next battle before you're put in the scene. The characters are one-dimensional- they barely even talk more than once and there's next to none character development, even with the main characters. The history of the continent is extremely vague and enemy units are stupid and annoying. You'll virtually never have to take defensive measures unlike in Sacred Stones when you're batting off swarms of monsters or in Radiant Dawn where you're fighting soldiers roughly as strong as yours. The reclass system further devalues each unit's character. It makes having specialized units essentially useless. In this game you may as well have a few main-characters with customizable faceless units that you can reclass or reproduce for every battle. Pah. The gameplay is solid though- same old fire emblem formula, an interesting unit addition, the balastician, and territorial battle is more important. However, things like the magic and weapon triangle are left out as are the rescue and move after action options. The graphics are somewhat charmless. Criticals are unspectacular and the physical fighting is dull. The magic animations are good, as are the maps and drawings. A decent soundtrack too. They should go for more charming graphics as opposed to realistic ones in the future, for the handheld games that is. As a normal game I'd give it a seven but as a Fire Emblem it only just deserves a five. If Intelligent Systems are going to re-release remakes of that calliber then they're going to have to do it for less than full price or with more than one remake included in the game. Expand
  12. TeodorIkonomov
    Jan 27, 2009
    The Best Game Ever
  13. RobertC
    Mar 22, 2009
    As a long-time fan of Fire Emblem games, I was extremely disappointed in this one for the following reasons: The story was ATTROCIOUS. No twists, just a plain old linear storyline. I could practically call the story from the beginning, and when I was fighting the final battle, I didn
  14. Nov 10, 2011
    Worst FE ever made. it's bland, has no soul. Its absolutely horrendous. Difficulty is nonexistant as times, the game feels rushed, the portraits are just bland, bad CG, same for the animations. Truly a butchering of FE in all the sense of the word.
  15. Jun 1, 2011
    One step forward, Two steps back. Not as complex as it's console predecessors, but still moves the series forward. No pushing, no carrying, no support convos and easier levels. A very good game for newbies to the series.
  16. May 27, 2012
    Amazing game considering it is a remake of a really old game. The story is good, the game play is great, but the animations could have been done better and support conversations should have been added in because personally, I felt that the characters were really boring.
  17. Jan 8, 2012
    It has no excuse of being a remake of an old game, there is no support so characters have no personality, main story, besides being bland and hard to follow (follow where the f**k are they traveling) is just straight forward with no interesting plot twist or special emotiveness, graphics are ok but bland, animations are bland and dull and look terribly, the changing class gimmick has noIt has no excuse of being a remake of an old game, there is no support so characters have no personality, main story, besides being bland and hard to follow (follow where the f**k are they traveling) is just straight forward with no interesting plot twist or special emotiveness, graphics are ok but bland, animations are bland and dull and look terribly, the changing class gimmick has no use besides ruining you character development, the gameplay works the same as always it's good but unintersting, the difficulty curve is insane and changes from a piece of cake to an unforgiving situation, still the game is too easy and by the time you get the last sword for your lord, credits better roll Expand
  18. Jan 2, 2013
    In general, it could have been a very good game but the gameplay isn't satisfying nor rewarding as you can't clue what is the best way to play the game and what characters you should level up or not, so I give it a 4/10 because it's a game that keeps going and it feels like you are aways on the wrong path with your characters equipment and exp, I just feel bored and many maps are too big.
  19. Jun 22, 2013
    Waste of time. This game just doesn't live up to the modern games at all sadly. Whilst this is a remake it's lazily done. The interface is clunky, visuals poor and generally a boring, tedious experience when compared to the GBA games.

This could have been amazing, and really taken advantage of the DS hardware what we actually got was a lazy port.
  20. Oct 21, 2014
    Fire Emblem started on the NES, with the original Shadow Dragon. while not the most famous game it caused a big enough splash to create a string of games making one of Nintendo's longest series. Shadow Dragon took rogue like elements to a strategic RPG. This was to make a game where your characters die and do not respawn. This is a staple of the Fire Emblem franchise and the one thingFire Emblem started on the NES, with the original Shadow Dragon. while not the most famous game it caused a big enough splash to create a string of games making one of Nintendo's longest series. Shadow Dragon took rogue like elements to a strategic RPG. This was to make a game where your characters die and do not respawn. This is a staple of the Fire Emblem franchise and the one thing people can easily distinguish from other RPGs. That being said, does a remake of the original game still hold up to all the evolutions made in the years later?

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS is a remastered remake of the original Fire Emblem story, taking all the elements from the original game and adding in a few features in the hopes of making it stand out in the DS marketplace of mediocrity. That being said, does this story still hold up in today's market? The story is a classic but...dreadfully boring. The characters only get one chapter really, if any, to get any development since support conversations were not created until the GBA era. The story and characters development is utterly lacking in this game besides a few characters. Even then the characters go through a drastic change to fast and we don't get to see the full process.

The main change to story was the prologue created for the easiest setting. This sentence annoys me for one reason, its only for the easiest setting. You cannot see this part of the story unless you decide to play it on beginner, which actually stops you from getting two possible units that can only be obtained in the prologue. I don't understand their decision in this as it limits the amount of story for harder difficulties. That being said, the prologue is a good way to ease people into the gameplay of Fire Emblem and adds sufficient background information about the war surrounding the area.

The gameplay is the same throughout all Fire Emblem games with a lot of awkward and bad choices. The rock, paper, scissors aspect of the weapon wheel, the durability of weapons, death of a player, but the problem comes with the details never before put into a Fire Emblem game.

The reclassing of units started with this game, which took the unique element in its predecessor, Sacred Stones and completely turned it into something of a monster. Any unit can be changed into a new class at any point in time within the game. This causes game breaking and at times causes units to be too overpowered if switched to a class that is suited to their stat gains.

In Progress...
  21. Jun 10, 2015
    This is perhaps the weakest entry in the Fire Emblem franchise. Although its game play and story are on-par for the franchise, they are not enough to save it from its horrendous art-style.
  22. bobjones
    Jan 27, 2009
    An excellent game. perhaps one of the best games ever on the Ds. You could even consider it the pinnACle of the series. It's obviously a must have. The graphics are fabulous. the character models and art are just completely gorgeous. The story while maybe not to strong, is lovely and petite. The music is so sweet and will make you sing. I'm not exagerrating these features. ThisAn excellent game. perhaps one of the best games ever on the Ds. You could even consider it the pinnACle of the series. It's obviously a must have. The graphics are fabulous. the character models and art are just completely gorgeous. The story while maybe not to strong, is lovely and petite. The music is so sweet and will make you sing. I'm not exagerrating these features. This is truly a beautiful game, I'm waterofthedarkness Expand
  23. KevinQ
    Feb 16, 2009
    It's a wonderful remake of a series that Nintendo seems to be neglecting handheld wise. Can you believe that this is the first DS Fire Emblem game?! It's unconceivable how little attention Nintendo gives this series. Anyways, this is a good remake of the very first Fire Emblem game. It tells the story of Marth, which I'm sure everyone recognizes from the Smash Bros series. It's a wonderful remake of a series that Nintendo seems to be neglecting handheld wise. Can you believe that this is the first DS Fire Emblem game?! It's unconceivable how little attention Nintendo gives this series. Anyways, this is a good remake of the very first Fire Emblem game. It tells the story of Marth, which I'm sure everyone recognizes from the Smash Bros series. The story could be better, and the permanent loss of characters maybe be hard at first, but it brings a new level of strategy to it. Buy this game, and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  24. PhilG
    Mar 21, 2009
    Challenging, and a bit cluttered at times with a few too many details (I could have done without weapon forging especially when said weapons break a lot) and lacks a little on the story side. That being said, it is a very strong entry in the series and the best handheld tactics game to pick up on the DS. Addictive, challenging, and very rewarding when you discover new ways to beat levels. Challenging, and a bit cluttered at times with a few too many details (I could have done without weapon forging especially when said weapons break a lot) and lacks a little on the story side. That being said, it is a very strong entry in the series and the best handheld tactics game to pick up on the DS. Addictive, challenging, and very rewarding when you discover new ways to beat levels. And (thank god) Nintendo decided to LEAVE THE BUTTON CONTROLS ALONE unlike LoZ: PH on the DS so you can use touch screen or buttons. Only other gripe is an undo feature would be nice (not to prevent characters dying, but if you move someone in the wrong spot or something) but I can see why it's not in there (don't want you screwing around until you find the best outcome). Expand
  25. WallidK
    Mar 31, 2009
    Hmm. This game may be very frustrating to someone who has no idea what Fire Emblem is as it's a very hard game. THIS IS VERY HARD. Either way, despite the features it takes out like preparing for battles, it replaces it with fresh new ones like difficulty settings and save points. If you liked Fire Emblem before this, pick this one up. If not, you might want to borrow this from a Hmm. This game may be very frustrating to someone who has no idea what Fire Emblem is as it's a very hard game. THIS IS VERY HARD. Either way, despite the features it takes out like preparing for battles, it replaces it with fresh new ones like difficulty settings and save points. If you liked Fire Emblem before this, pick this one up. If not, you might want to borrow this from a friend first AND PLAY ABOUT AN HOUR IN. If not, you may think this game is still easy and be killed later. Expand
    Dec 16, 2008
    It's Fire Emblem. In short, the game is a good remake for those who haven't already played the game, but there's nothing here that won't disappoint those who have. The audio and overhead visuals work well, the leveling system is nicely done, and there are many more characters obtained much more quickly than there were in the other two US releases, which does a good job It's Fire Emblem. In short, the game is a good remake for those who haven't already played the game, but there's nothing here that won't disappoint those who have. The audio and overhead visuals work well, the leveling system is nicely done, and there are many more characters obtained much more quickly than there were in the other two US releases, which does a good job of improving replay value. The story is closer to that of Sacred Stones than that of the original GBA US release; it's shallow, doesn't make you think, and just feels like an afterthought. There are plenty of Fire Emblem games that would have been better to bring to the US; Nintendo probably only chose this one because it had Marth... *cough* sellout *cough*. To balance that out, though, gameplay is excellent and the whole thing feels very polished. The whole thing except for the battle scenes, at least. For some reason, Nintendo decided to make the battle animations 3d-rendered instead of sprite-based. As you can imagine, 3d rendering does not mix well with a 2-dimensional game. The new animations lack the character of the original sprites, they got rid of the over-the-top critical hits that were so enjoyable in previous releases. Overall, they make a stark contrast with the rest of the game, and really pull you out of the action. Nonetheless, the game is a solid addition to the series. I wouldn't recommend it over either of the other two handheld Fire Emblem games, though. Graphics: 6/10 The new rendered characters feel out of place and make fights pull you out of the action, rather than drawing you in. Sound: 9/10 I took a point of for the incredibly grating music that plays once all the enemies on a map are dead. Gameplay: 10/10 It's a Fire Emblem game, and in terms of the core mechanics, it lives up to the standards set by its predecessors. Story: 7/10 The story won't fool anybody - it's shallow and doesn't even pretend to be plausible. Overall: 8/10 Enjoyable, but not worth it if you're not a fan of the series. Expand
  27. May 5, 2012
    Good game but nothing compared to its predecessors. There's no dark or light magic users, only anima. You can change classes for your characters, such as transforming your magic user into a paladin or your archer into myrmidon. The game can be quite difficult even on a normal setting. You can't rescue your characters nor can you have them support each other. And the only way to unlock sideGood game but nothing compared to its predecessors. There's no dark or light magic users, only anima. You can change classes for your characters, such as transforming your magic user into a paladin or your archer into myrmidon. The game can be quite difficult even on a normal setting. You can't rescue your characters nor can you have them support each other. And the only way to unlock side quests is to have most of your units killed off which doesn't seem like a fair advantage. Expand
  28. Oct 26, 2013
    In terms of gameplay, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon has the same amazing gameplay from its previous games. The storyline expands the first Fire Emblem game, and it's very good. However, the sprites are looking bad. The 2.5d styled animations and other sprites are looking awful, and not fitting Fire Emblem. The sounds are amazing, but still the style of graphics made a little bitIn terms of gameplay, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon has the same amazing gameplay from its previous games. The storyline expands the first Fire Emblem game, and it's very good. However, the sprites are looking bad. The 2.5d styled animations and other sprites are looking awful, and not fitting Fire Emblem. The sounds are amazing, but still the style of graphics made a little bit disappointment for me. Expand
  29. Sep 7, 2014
    I can start by saying that I had a positive experience from this game all in all. It is indeed Fire Emblem, the most fundamental gameplay is there and it was fun to play through. However, the experience stopped there. It felt bland without the elements that defines the franchise today, such as well developed characters and support conversations. I can kind of appreciate that they stayedI can start by saying that I had a positive experience from this game all in all. It is indeed Fire Emblem, the most fundamental gameplay is there and it was fun to play through. However, the experience stopped there. It felt bland without the elements that defines the franchise today, such as well developed characters and support conversations. I can kind of appreciate that they stayed true to the original, but at the same time I feel like they could have made it better by adding at least some more character development and/or supports (they did add a playable prologue, which was a step in the right direction). As it was, characters popped up out of nowhere and many of those who joined you never said a single word. Their personality was in their portraits, basically.
    This made it feel empty in comparison to the other much more satisfying releases.
    I still enjoyed it, be it on quite a shallow level. Graphically it delivered, although I wasn't the biggest fan of their character portraits. The game play, as already mentioned, was smooth. I liked how you could use either the D-pad, analog stick or touch screen to move, and the levels were well designed. The little "save-spots" scattered across some levels made the game forgiving, but not too easy.
    In short, I think it was a balanced and solid turn-based strategy game, although I'd encourage people interested in the franchise to check out any of the Fire Emblem games released on consoles or GameBoy Advance first.
    You won't regret buying this game, but there are better out there.

#7 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#5 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon debuts on Nintendo DS with a classic chapter adapted to these times. The deeply interesting story of the game with many characters to recruit and different strategies for the victories offers a unique experience. The most important feature is the online mode, simple but correct in its way. This is one of the best games to come out this year for Nintendo DS.
    It hasn’t toppled the Sacred Stones from its berth as the best game in the series (or, if you’re a purist, Fire Emblem on the GBA), and it feels a bit like a missed opportunity to ally the game that started it all with some of the many incremental improvements that have been introduced since. Still, though, it is a Fire Emblem game, and for some of us, that’s enough.
  3. Fire Emblem's DS debut has been a long time coming but it's unquestionably worth the wait. Shadow Dragon provides astonishingly compulsive turn-based action.