7.5

1. Dec 9, 2013
    Flower, Sun, and Rain.
    Flower, Sun, and Rain.
    The only thing I saw of this game before playing it was a screenshot, and the only thing I knew about it was the name. Those two things alone were enough for me to play this game. And I did. And I absolutely loved it. This game is weirder than weird, crazy, trippy and all in all a fantastic experience. It's difficult to explain why the game is good, it's really something you have to play yourself to judge if you like it or not. But I'll try to at least point out some things I really enjoyed.

The graphics. Yeah, I thought they were terrible at first, but you know, I started finding a charm in them the more I played and I ended up really liking the strange style they went for.

The atmosphere and setting. I don't know, I really felt like I was on a small, quiet island while playing this. All the places look really nice, and all the locations give off such a peaceful vibe when they are meant to, and they can also be spooky when they're supposed to be. Really nice.

The plot of the game. It's good. Really good. At least I though so. Interesting all the way, funny at times, even serious and dark with likable and fun characters. Yeah, most of the characters in this game are really cool in their own way, I really like them.

Music and sound. The soundtrack is fantastic, amazing, magnificent. Every track fits the situation perfectly, and pretty much every track is great. Even if a lot of the tracks are remixed songs, they feel really fresh and new. I know the original PS2 version of the game has an OST that sounds better, but I think the DS version also sounds amazing. The voice work never really bothered me either, I actually kind of liked it. I think I might have preferred proper voice acting though.

Now, the flaws of this game in my opinion are:

The fact that you have to walk back and forth A LOT! It made my thumb hurt on the DSi, so I tried playing it on my 3DS, and my thumb still got really tired. It gets annoying, especially some really long walks later in the game. The other thing is... Well, the puzzles. Some of the puzzles were fun to try to figure out, but others made no sense in my opinion and were simply absurd. I even had to look at an FAQ at some of them, which makes me feel guilty, but I couldn't help it. I just got really frustrated at a few of those puzzles. I was expecting it though, the game kind of throws you into it with very little explaining of what to do. Already at the start of the game you feel confused.

But yes, this is a really nice game. I really enjoyed it and if anybody reading this wants to try it out, I recommend them to do so. I feel like the scores for this game are kind of unfair, I know it's not a game for everyone, but seriously, that 54 is pretty harsh. But oh well, this is just my humble opinion. Grasshopper did a good job with this one, and I'm now convinced that I want to try more of their games.
    I give this game a 9 out of 10.
  2. Nov 10, 2014
    This is a very difficult game to review and I'm also very sorry to say that, despite having a great names behind (like Suda51), I will say that the game is not recommended for everyone: I love his works, Killer7 is on top of my favourite games of all time, but this game just doesn't work right.

Let me explain why. The game is basically an adventure game and you play about 18 cases

Let me explain why.

The game is basically an adventure game and you play about 18 cases (19 if you consider the start, called request 0) and you actually control your character, Sumio Mondo, around the place: the limits are going to be slowly removed, making you more free to roam around. And this is one big problem because in later cases, you'll RUN a lot during these parts, almost 5 entire minutes of solely running into vast spaces, only then to come back and later do it again! No fast travel, you run all the time, and when you're not running you will be solving puzzles, and here it comes another big flaw: the puzzles are revolved on the same exact thing which is basically imputting numbers, and nothing else: you use Catherine (your briefcase) to jack-in, and according to what you read at the start of the case (yes, the puzzles don't tell you what you gonna do: you need to write them down your own), you put a long or short sequence of numbers.

And this is where I used to stop: I couldn't get past the first (Request 1, not 0) day, because even if I made sure to read the part where I was supposed to read, the game was too cryptic to let me know how it worked. It was only thanks to a walkthrough that I finally managed to beat this game...and even then, I STILL didn't get the puzzles, even when it explained it to me how it worked.

I'm sorry, but I still don't this game works greatly: I grew up with adventure games such as Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle, but this was just too cryptic for me.

So as much as I love Suda51, I do not recommend this game to anyone...but it's not a bad game and, really, it has a very good story (a bit too crazy), so...if you're curious about it, grab a walkthrough and enjoy the story: the game is lengthy (about 8 hours with a walkthrough, you can easily double of triple if you want it to do without cheating) and the story will hook you in, just because you don't know what's going on!

I liked it, but I doubt that I'll play it again. Not the best adventure game nowadays.
    If you want adventure games with puzzles in it however, go play Professor Layton instead.
  3. May 3, 2013
    Pretty hard game to review. But it's very interesting game. There are no others like this one GOOD: 1) the plot! omg, imho it's one of the most interesting plots of any videogames ever made! If you love David Lynch movies, then it's for you here. 2) Music excellent jazz arranges of classic mucis some nice electronica here 3) Humour. Yes, this game has very much funny things. Like thePretty hard game to review. But it's very interesting game. There are no others like this one GOOD: 1) the plot! omg, imho it's one of the most interesting plots of any videogames ever made! If you love David Lynch movies, then it's for you here. 2) Music excellent jazz arranges of classic mucis some nice electronica here 3) Humour. Yes, this game has very much funny things. Like the game is just joking at player..while also it doesn't. 4) Aesthetic. Very beautiful thoughts come to mind when you playthrough FSR.

BAD: 1) Gameplay is just "go here and return there and do it 20 times again". THOUGH that was made specially to hurt player's feelings. 2) NDS version has very reduced graphics (and sound) comparing to PS2 original.

An addition to the long line of adventure video games that will leave players feeling cold where gameplay is concerned. Suda 51 fans should play it for the story and the music, nothing more.
  2. As a script, Flower, Sun And Rain is, for at least two thirds, hugely witty and effortlessly mad, eliciting enough regular laughs to cover for the game's otherwise painfully tedious forms of interaction. [JPN Import; Dec 2008, p.96]
  3. In the end, the game's dated feel is a double-edged sword. It might be odd to feel nostalgic for a time that's less than a decade ago, but Flower, Sun and Rain will make you feel exactly that.