9.0

1. Jan 22, 2015
    And yet another game about both lego and randomness at its random...-est i guess.
    But like my review on lego island 2: the f*ckster's revenge, this game is pretty good. Well, for the DS at least.

I mean the Nintendo DS was very successful but in my opinion all 3D games on it looked/played like complete **** I mean, take a look at a comparison between Lego Star wars: the clone wars, it looked gorgeous on the Wii and the Ps3 but on the DS? COMPLETE SHI-BLARGHALGHRALGHUGLAHR- i can't stress enough.

Regerding the game, it's like a god game with really pixellated graphics which actually looks better than you think. Trust me this game is even more obscure than Patapon, a game which not even the smallest groups of people recognize, well. Maybe except me... i don't even know anymore.

But for real though, the soundtrack is kind of bitcrushed which is one of my most favourite song types, the graphics are mostly like the snes's graphics, it's mostly blend of many pixel games to say the least.

Gameplaywise. You place buildings, you get cash, you get units, push objectives, you win.
    It's a Mc-Basic, really.

Here is the most fun part of the entire review, trust me. Writing certain reviews on the wrong day can end in the this-is-not-interesting-at-all cathergory.

Pros:

Cons:

I am suprised... really.... there is nothing wrong with this game except the minor things, but those keep bugging each other with the good minor thing about this game.
    Which then means that this game was made with the right mind in charge.... i don't know what joke to choose so i'll just simply say.... "a random crackhead"

This game gets the score: "meh, but still good"
  2. Oct 24, 2011
    This game is by no means a perfect game, but it's not nearly as bad as what most of the critics say. The first thing worth noting is that this game is nothing like the Lego games that have come out earlier (Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, etc.). Where those games were more on arcade style action, this one is real time strategy, a game genre that is usually only available onThis game is by no means a perfect game, but it's not nearly as bad as what most of the critics say. The first thing worth noting is that this game is nothing like the Lego games that have come out earlier (Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, etc.). Where those games were more on arcade style action, this one is real time strategy, a game genre that is usually only available on computers. This, however, came out on the Nintendo DS. Surprisingly, for a genre that's more popular on computers, they actually did a pretty decent job. Of course, this game would be so much better on a Windows, but this strategy game is still pretty good on the DS. This game may be different then Warcraft, but it still has a few tricks up its sleeve. It has a lot of funny cutscenes, great gameplay moments, and fun campaigns. However, the gameplay, while it's fun, does have its faults. As I said earlier, the campaigns are enjoyable, but the instant action battles leave a lot to be desired. They can be very short, and often times boring. The campaigns more then make up for this however. The graphics could be better, but I still like them anyway. The pixelized graphics are alright, but they do lack detail. I think that this game is totally underrated. Expand
  3. TimF
    Dec 17, 2009
    OMG, I can't believe the critics reviews! 60? WTF!? I have had a blast playing Lego Battles on the DS and I seriously have gotten flashbacks of StarCraft. The story line is incredibly long (which is good) and a 20 minute mission just flies by. As I said before it is like a scaled down version of Starcraft (RTS) so if you were expecting the "shoot em up" antics of Lego Star Wars et OMG, I can't believe the critics reviews! 60? WTF!? I have had a blast playing Lego Battles on the DS and I seriously have gotten flashbacks of StarCraft. The story line is incredibly long (which is good) and a 20 minute mission just flies by. As I said before it is like a scaled down version of Starcraft (RTS) so if you were expecting the "shoot em up" antics of Lego Star Wars et al. you may be disappointed. Collapse
  4. ianf
    Aug 23, 2009
    It is great! I was looking for starfy but I couldn't find it so I took this.
  5. MaxxPower
    Jun 29, 2009
    Do not buy if you are left handed. Game is not playable if you are left handed.
  6. PeterM
    Jun 12, 2009
    I cant believe a "real" RTS finally made it to the DS. After going to 2 sold out stores I finally got my copy! Wow, you will not be disappointed here, the map sizes are bigger than any I have seen on the DS and the variety of units it awesome I mean space ships attacking sail boats, what's not to love. The units are hard to see as pure lego, but the DS can only pull off so much and I cant believe a "real" RTS finally made it to the DS. After going to 2 sold out stores I finally got my copy! Wow, you will not be disappointed here, the map sizes are bigger than any I have seen on the DS and the variety of units it awesome I mean space ships attacking sail boats, what's not to love. The units are hard to see as pure lego, but the DS can only pull off so much and if the trade off was only seeing a close-up with detail vs seeing and controlling a battlefield, I think the choice was obvious here. Game play is not limited (like so many) to you taking your one unit against a max of 6 enemies... This game takes it up a notch with 30 on 30 fully controlled units into heated action packed battles. In that mess it gets a bit hard to see whats going on, but it looks awesome. Still getting a hold on the magic bit, but that looks like a lot of fun to. Cant wait to take this head on with multiplayer. Expand
  7. reedf
    Jun 12, 2009
    We preordered two copies of this one (my son and I) from the USA and have paid the price not just in getting it directly upon release in Japan, but in foregoing critical assessment and reading rhe Metacritic reviews (there are still only two as of this post) and trusting our guts and experiences as big fans of the Traveler's Tales LEGO DS games. LEGO Battles is at once a simple and We preordered two copies of this one (my son and I) from the USA and have paid the price not just in getting it directly upon release in Japan, but in foregoing critical assessment and reading rhe Metacritic reviews (there are still only two as of this post) and trusting our guts and experiences as big fans of the Traveler's Tales LEGO DS games. LEGO Battles is at once a simple and fun game, and a terribly dull one with too many rules to learn for too little payoff later in the game. I fear this is a project not of love for the incredible gaming company that has produced LEGO Star Wars et al, but just a finished project -- one they may have enjoyed building at the start but were clearly unable to turn into something truly enjoyable for any particular audience. My son suffered as much of the tutorial level as possible but even so was not impressed with the graphics or the gaming style. The LEGO brand does not save this game from being just another RTS. What this has done is awoken certain nostalgic feelings for Blizzard games like Starcraft, which I would much rather be playing. As for my son, I think his copy may just go to the first buyer at a local shop. Or is it too soon to be passing judgment? (We have not unlocked any of the other missions yet.) Expand

1. And the most basic element of LEGOs - building things from blocks - is entirely absent. [July 2009, p.86]
  2. LEGO Battles won’t offer the slightest challenge to an avid RTS fan. But overall I can’t complain too much. I had fun, got in a few laughs, and kept coming back for more. Sometimes that’s enough.
  3. LEGO Battles certainly drops the baton on a couple of essential basics, but its light-hearted tone, unit variety, hidden trinkets, and sheer volume of maps keep it a good value for dedicated fans of this angular toy world.