Lux-Pain DS

6.2

1. SethD
    May 10, 2009
    If you're in to action games do not buy this!!! But if you like the lighter side of gaming and enjoy games like phoenix wright, then i would recommend it. Some bugs in the text/voice acting, but overall i think its a decent game.
  2. Z
    Apr 8, 2009
    This game is mostly gonna be a love it or hate type game. First off the bad, the game play is pretty boring, translation errors (minor but obvious), and slow pace. The good? A rather fantastic story and a great set of characters. Honestly this game would probable make a better anime then game. Actually this game is pretty much a visual novel. So yeah. Um lots of fun try it for the This game is mostly gonna be a love it or hate type game. First off the bad, the game play is pretty boring, translation errors (minor but obvious), and slow pace. The good? A rather fantastic story and a great set of characters. Honestly this game would probable make a better anime then game. Actually this game is pretty much a visual novel. So yeah. Um lots of fun try it for the endering story at least. Expand
  3. DanielJ
    Aug 12, 2009
    The translation is a bit wonky. That much is clear. It makes following the story unnecessarily confusing at times. But there are menus filled with information about all the characters and what's happened in the story, so it's easy enough to go back over what has happened to straighten it all out. With just a little dedication, there's a brilliantly compelling story in here, The translation is a bit wonky. That much is clear. It makes following the story unnecessarily confusing at times. But there are menus filled with information about all the characters and what's happened in the story, so it's easy enough to go back over what has happened to straighten it all out. With just a little dedication, there's a brilliantly compelling story in here, one not afraid to tackle heavy subjects like murder and animal abuse. P.S. It is OBVIOUSLY an interactive novel, not an action-heavy game. Games don't have to be action-heavy. There are different genres for that. I wish the majority of critics could understand that, but apparently not! Expand
  4. WallidK
    Mar 31, 2009
    I really wanted this game to be good. I really did. However, this game goes beyond disappointment. I almost cried. Anyway, I'll start with the good stuff: The voice acting is really good (with anime-like quality), the characters seem to have a lot of personality, and the interface isn't hard to look at. However, the bad outweighs the good so much that the good made its own pit I really wanted this game to be good. I really did. However, this game goes beyond disappointment. I almost cried. Anyway, I'll start with the good stuff: The voice acting is really good (with anime-like quality), the characters seem to have a lot of personality, and the interface isn't hard to look at. However, the bad outweighs the good so much that the good made its own pit to hell and incinerated any redeeming quality I had of this game. There is almost no interactions with you and the storyline, the boss fights are just scribbling your screen, and the translation is so bad that I beat the game and still don't know what the hell happened. Whatever you do, don't buy this game. You'll end up falling into the pit to hell that it cleverly concealed on top of a nice box art. Expand
  5. CaseyB
    May 25, 2009
    First off I gotta reiterate what some one else said. If you want a game with action don't go here. It is a very "on the rails" kinda game and in a way, again like others said, would have made a good anime movie or even series. I love the characters, the story, and the who dunnit idea of the game. What I don't like is the sad localization. Like a lot of people have said. For a First off I gotta reiterate what some one else said. If you want a game with action don't go here. It is a very "on the rails" kinda game and in a way, again like others said, would have made a good anime movie or even series. I love the characters, the story, and the who dunnit idea of the game. What I don't like is the sad localization. Like a lot of people have said. For a while I thought my game might have been bugged. It can actually get confusing when you listen to the voice over then read the text. Even at some points having a voiced over character and a text only one in the same scene. Other than that though I am liking the game. I wouldn't mind a reissue of the game that fixes the problem but that is asking a bit much. Expand
  6. Sep 28, 2013
    While this game isn't the cream of the crop, it would have been much better if the translation weren't so marred. It wasn't really so much a game as it was a visual novel, with very few gameplay elements, and few instances of them showing up. And even with a better translation, I still feel like the ending felt rather muddled. The majority of characters I couldn't get attached to or careWhile this game isn't the cream of the crop, it would have been much better if the translation weren't so marred. It wasn't really so much a game as it was a visual novel, with very few gameplay elements, and few instances of them showing up. And even with a better translation, I still feel like the ending felt rather muddled. The majority of characters I couldn't get attached to or care about, but a few hit my sweet spot. What makes this especially sad is that the game's art direction was beautiful.
    Music: 8
    Art: 8
    Gameplay: 6
    Writing: 6
    Bottom line: Ultimately a disappointing "game" but it could have done better if there was more effort put into it. I would play a proper re-release, however.

#28 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#26 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. Nintendo Power
    It may look and - thanks to strong voice acting - sound like a potentially compelling anime series, but as a playable video game, Lux-Pain is a nonstarter. [Apr 2009, p.85]
    Lux-Pain sports a slick anime art style, which is quickly overshadowed by inane seek-and-find gameplay and a baffling story. This is a very strange choice of game for Ignition to localize.
    The premise, when paraphrased, is an interesting one and as a huge fan of last year's Time Hollow and any good mystery in general, I'm always willing to sit through any amount of text if it provides a means to an end, or at the very least, something somewhat cohesive. Lux-Pain fails on both accounts, serving as a poorly thrown together, somewhat interactive novel that really doesn't know what it wants to be - or, if it does know, it certainly doesn't want to be a game.