7.1

1. GordonS.
    Sep 28, 2006
    One of the rare gems. Despite the lack of multiplayer, this is one of the best DS titles out there. It is certainly not a 'pick up and play game', and it requires some time to get familiar with the complex rules of Mage Knight but once you get into the game it is hard to stop playing. If you liked FF Tactics or Ogre Battle, don't miss this one.
  2. mageyboy
    Apr 10, 2007
    No matter wat anybody else says listen to me and only me.
    The game is very good for mostly boys. You can make an army discover maps and new lands. The rules are hard to understand and may confuse u but u get used to it after acouple of days.
    I gave this game 9 out of 10 as the graphics arent useless and u can anialate people. U will luv this game
  3. JeffD
    Oct 26, 2006
    I've played the original table top WizKids' Mage Knight and it's sibling game, Heroclix, on multiple occasions in the past, and have enjoyed playing with and collecting the original sets. Both games are great strategy games. Life, however, does not always present us the opportunity to do everything we want to do as we'd like to, and my current schedule prevents me fromI've played the original table top WizKids' Mage Knight and it's sibling game, Heroclix, on multiple occasions in the past, and have enjoyed playing with and collecting the original sets. Both games are great strategy games. Life, however, does not always present us the opportunity to do everything we want to do as we'd like to, and my current schedule prevents me from playing these games with others in it's original form.
    Enter Mage Knight DS. If you are in anyway familiar with the orignal game, then this game should not be too difficult to pick up. If not, there might be a bit of a learning curve. The game became immensely easier to play on the DS when I discovered how the help functions worked, and found there was an option to enable a grid pattern on the battle field. (Go to the options menu to find that. The game is a little difficult to understand range of movement and line of fire without).
    I've now played several maps, and found this to be a great little addictive strategy game. Though not mature in content, the complexity of the game is tailored for teens - adults.
    To me, the lack of a multi player option for this game is not that big a deal. If I had the time, I'd be playing the real version with others, and not rely on the DS interface. Don't get me wrong. It definitely would be better with it; but I'd rather have a stronger AI than multiplayer support.
    In my humble opinion, it's a very nice addition to the Nintendo DS for those of us that enjoy a game that's a little more in depth than the average and makes you think instead of merely mashing buttons.
    One slight complaint. When pieces are placed next to others, it is sometimes fairly difficult to properly face the piece in the proper direction. It can be frustrating, but it's not impossible to do.
    I'm hoping that someday a Heroclix version of this game will come along for the DS, but I realize that with the licensing issues with DC and Marvel, this will probably never occur.
  4. RayM.
    Oct 9, 2006
    Graphically done very well, I would say for fans/players of Mage Knight only as it is a little hard to understand otherwise. No multiplayer has really hurt this game. Even if it was on the same DS, it still would have been great.
  5. TimW.
    Sep 30, 2006
    Totally addicting! I am at the battle 14 (out of 80+) and playing for over 20 hours already.

1. Mage Knight DS is based on some good design ideas derived from an interesting tabletop wargame, but they're drowned out by a poor interface and weak presentation.
    While the game succeeds as a conversion of a miniature gaming ruleset, it fails to take advantage of the potential available uniquely to the video game format. The lack of multiplayer in particular keeps Destiny's Soldier from rising in the ranks.
  3. The crowning achievement of failure here, however, is the total lack of multiplayer. Skirmish would be nice, but no multiplayer in a DS version of an intrinsically multi-player tabletop game? Unforgivable.