7.9

1. HarryH.
    Oct 10, 2007
    The game is well produced and innovative. also loads of fun.
  2. Theblade
    Sep 17, 2006
    Kicks .ss in multiplayer, fun single player. If you like basketball at all you will enjoy this game.
  3. SuperRater
    Dec 17, 2009
    This game is fairly fun. With many different unlockables and super attacks this is a truely fun basketball game. The online aspect of the game isn't to bad either. The only problem with this game is it doesn't gave enough playable modes. Just some exibition games, tournaments, and a few minigames made this game fun, but it didn't make it awsome. This game is defenitally This game is fairly fun. With many different unlockables and super attacks this is a truely fun basketball game. The online aspect of the game isn't to bad either. The only problem with this game is it doesn't gave enough playable modes. Just some exibition games, tournaments, and a few minigames made this game fun, but it didn't make it awsome. This game is defenitally worth buying if you like a game where you jump around and dunk a lot. Expand
  4. Apr 4, 2017
    Mario Hoops 3 on 3 is a game that provides simple but addictive fun. I played it when I was around 12 years old, and I really got in to it. Nowadays I find it a little bit boring, and I can't tell if it's because i've grown up, or because I already played it too much back in the day. Anyway, this is a game i'd definitely recommend to any DS owner who's looking for a simple but entertainingMario Hoops 3 on 3 is a game that provides simple but addictive fun. I played it when I was around 12 years old, and I really got in to it. Nowadays I find it a little bit boring, and I can't tell if it's because i've grown up, or because I already played it too much back in the day. Anyway, this is a game i'd definitely recommend to any DS owner who's looking for a simple but entertaining title, in the likes of Mario Kart or Mario Party. It's a blast to play in multiplayer, but still manages to hold out well in single player.

The game offers a good number of stages and characters, both from the Mario series as well as the Final Fantasy series (it was co-produced by Square Enix). There is a good amount of customization, like being able to choose a match's difficulty, lenght, the ball used and so on. A simple progression is present in this game in the form of unlocking new characters and stages to play in, which makes the game even more addictive. Aside from the main mode, there's also training mode and a bunch of special challenges, which were fun enough to keep me interested in them. As for the gameplay itself, the controls are intuitive and worked just fine for me. One thing I really liked is the ability to perform special moves, which differ from character to character.

So to sum up, Mario Hoops 3 on 3 is a game I can recommend. Good for single player, great for multiplayer. It has a decent level of polish and simple but addictive gameplay that I really enjoyed back in its day.

Score: 8.2
  5. TheDude
    Oct 4, 2006
    Frankly, I'm baffled by the harsh criticism this game has received from the professional reviewers. It's terrifically fun with an outstanding presentation. Great graphics and sound effects, great use of the touchscreen, great playability--in short, portable gaming doesn't get much better.
  6. Xuphor
    Jul 30, 2006
    Very good game. I have the imported Japanese version, and even if you don't speak Japanese, it's still very fun.
  7. BrianC.
    Mar 31, 2007
    I think this game is kinda cooooool! Especially the super attacks, you jump around and slam it in the dunk. There is a lot of unlockable things to unlock.
  8. Feb 7, 2012
    The critics of this game are wrong. Mario Hoops 3 is a fun game. The only flaws are a lack of online multiplayer and a short play-through. The graphics and gameplay are very good and the touchscreen is used well. This is one of the best games for the DS.
  9. Jul 28, 2016
    Mario Hoops 3 on 3 is how a basketball game SHOULD be. Well the game is flawed still but OTHER basketball games have very little variety and repetitive gameplay.

#19 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#18 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

1. With hours and hours of gameplay in the tournament mode alone this is worth a purchase. Then you add on tons of unlockables including Final Fantasy characters and different basketballs and you've got a instant purchase. Oh yeah then you add on the extra mini-games, the WiFi Basketball, and the WiFi Mario Kart-esque game and you've got a no-brainer must have game of the summer. [JPN Import]
  2. Mario Hoops is an innovative adaptation of the sport, and the multiplayer is worth trying, even with just two players.
  3. Games Master UK
    Unlike normal basketball, even a massive lead can be reversed in the dying seconds - and losing possession at the wrong moment can make a huge difference. Good work, Mazza. [Oct 2006, p.68]