8.6

1. Jan 27, 2018
    Probably my favorite mario kart game - I've put so many hours upon hours into this game.
  2. Oct 25, 2017
    REVIEW BASED ON
    > Finished the game
    COMMENT One of the worst arcade racing games I've ever played. It's frustrating like nothing else. The gameplay is absolutely atrocious. PROS + The decent music CONS - The almost non existent physics - The AI is plain horribly programmed. Why does always that one character win or arrive in the last position during one championship? Does it
    REVIEW BASED ON
    > Finished the game

PROS
    + The decent music

CONS
    - The almost non existent physics
    - The AI is plain horribly programmed. Why does always that one character win or arrive in the last position during one championship? Does it actually predetermine who will win the race and who won't?
    - The powerups are terrible and frustrating
    - The graphics
    - Karts are the same for every character. Pretty unoriginal I'd say
    - Unlocks are without question not rewarding
  3. Sep 25, 2017
    Like most Mario games, Mario kart ds is an amazing game in terms of gameplay and graphics for the system its on. However this game has aged quite bad feeling bland when compared to newer title its also considerably easier than later games. The cherry on top though is that the online does not work anymore meaning the main draw of this game is no longer usable. The only reason to buy thisLike most Mario games, Mario kart ds is an amazing game in terms of gameplay and graphics for the system its on. However this game has aged quite bad feeling bland when compared to newer title its also considerably easier than later games. The cherry on top though is that the online does not work anymore meaning the main draw of this game is no longer usable. The only reason to buy this game is to try it or if you and a friend both still play dss other wise get 8 on the switch Expand
  4. Jul 18, 2017
    El juego de mario kart con el que entré a la saga. Sin duda ya era un juego increible, pero las pruebas/minijuegos que añade lo rematan. Por mi parte tiene el mejor modo batalla de la saga.
  5. Jul 10, 2017
    Mario Kart DS have a bad quality and the DS stupid Internet test is bad but the ballon battle it's very good. But the sunshine battle are full easy and boring and you can just have 12 player choice
  6. Jul 2, 2017
    Mario Kart DS is widely considered to be one of the best titles for the DS, and one of the best in the Mario Kart series. It has fluid controls, good replayability, a great selection of avilable tracks and great multiplayer. However, some of the modes such as some missions and parts of battle mode feel unpolished compared to the rest of the game. Despite this, Mario Kart DS remains a greatMario Kart DS is widely considered to be one of the best titles for the DS, and one of the best in the Mario Kart series. It has fluid controls, good replayability, a great selection of avilable tracks and great multiplayer. However, some of the modes such as some missions and parts of battle mode feel unpolished compared to the rest of the game. Despite this, Mario Kart DS remains a great game for anyone to try; easily approachable, a whole lot of entertainment and great gameplay. Expand
  7. Apr 11, 2017
    9.0 - Outstanding Mario Kart, has a large variety of modes with really good replay value and one of the best battle modes. Online was decent for the time, and new characters and stages were well done.
  8. Apr 9, 2017
    This is the first Nintendo game I've ever played, and the reason I'm a Nintendo fan today. Back in 2010, I discovered this game thanks to some friends, and I liked it so much that I played it entirely with an emulator on my PC. Thanks to Mario Kart DS, and also to Zelda Phantom Hourglass, I decided to buy a Nintendo DS in christmas 2010, and played it again to get the true experience.

I

I think this is probably my favorite Mario Kart title. It has great controls, a good selection of characters and plenty of modes to keep you entertained for a pretty long time. The game has more characters than any Mario Kart before it, and it also introduces Retro Cups: 16 tracks from previous Mario Kart games, adding to a total of 32 tracks, more than any MK game before it. There's even a series of missions to complete, including a bunch of boss fights. What else can you ask from a Mario Kart game?

The game is very fun to play alone. Another single-player mode that is worth mentioning is Battle Mode, which is surprisingly addictive and entertaining. Online modes are also present, and they're obviously a ton of fun. Playing Mario Kart DS with your friends is always a blast.

So overall, this is pretty much everything you could expect from a Mario Kart game. Tons of fun, a good amount of content, great multiplayer options... definitely a must have for any DS owner. I really don't know what to criticize here. Maybe the graphics look a little bit unpolished compared to other DS titles, but It's no big deal. It doesn't detract from the experience at all.

Score: 9.0
  9. Mar 20, 2017
    Mario Kart DS is an awesome experience! The story mode is fun, the characters are cool, the controls are great, there's a ton of replay value, and some of the tracks are great. My only gripe on the game is that some of the tracks are bad which is a big complaint but it still doesn't take away too much from the game. Overall Mario Kart DS is a good experience on most aspects only lacking on some.
  10. Nov 11, 2016
    Game: Mario Kart Super DS
    Genre: Racing
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo DS (NDS) Total Score: 88/100 Value Score: 8.8/10 • Story: */10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 9/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 7/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 8/10 Pros +A total of 13 characters, 8 standard, 4 unlockable and 1 downloadable +New Mission
    Game: Mario Kart Super DS
    Genre: Racing
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo DS (NDS)
    Total Score: 88/100

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 8/10

Pros
    +A total of 13 characters, 8 standard, 4 unlockable and 1 downloadable
    +New Mission mode allows you to go through 6 different areas with about 8 levels and a boss battle in each area that makes you complete missions with certain goals
    +More stages for VS modes
    +New stages and old stages from previous Mario Kart games
    +Option to use multiple vehicles for different characters
    +New items added

Cons
    -Online system is very bare bones and shoddy at times
    -Some items cannot be used in versus modes
  11. Sep 29, 2016
    Mario Kart DS is a racing game developed by Nintendo EAD and published by Nintendo. The game designer is named Makoto Wada. It is appeared for the Nintendo DS in November 2005 in Europe. It is the fifth installment in the Mario Kart series and opposes the main characters of the Super Mario universe in karts racing on circuits. It can be played with one to eight players locally, but is noMario Kart DS is a racing game developed by Nintendo EAD and published by Nintendo. The game designer is named Makoto Wada. It is appeared for the Nintendo DS in November 2005 in Europe. It is the fifth installment in the Mario Kart series and opposes the main characters of the Super Mario universe in karts racing on circuits. It can be played with one to eight players locally, but is no longer available online.

Mario Kart DS won the award for best handheld video game, the best racing game of the year 2005. It was the best-selling Nintendo DS game with 23.59 million copies sold in September 2015. the clipboard gave a score of 17/20 and the digital press about 18. The game is known for its good control, its good local multiplayer, with many characters, vehicles and game mode, at a good price and you do not get enough.

The only negativepoint I found is that it is not necessary to re explain the basics if you already know its predecessors.

I recommend this game to everyone because thanks to its local multiplayer, it allows to have fun with friends and for younger to because it is allowed for all ages.
  12. Aug 1, 2016
    Mario Kart DS is my 3rd favorite of this series cause the courses are amazing and the game has good variety as well as PERFECT gameplay. So this game is perfect.
  13. Jun 8, 2016
    This is the best DS game I have ever played. The reason I give it a 9/10 is because Nintendo discontinued the Wi-Fi service, which really takes away from the experience. The tracks are well-designed and fun to race on, and the graphics are insanely good for a DS game. Once you start playing for a few hours, you'll realize that the AI is far too easy, and you can SEE the rubber banding.This is the best DS game I have ever played. The reason I give it a 9/10 is because Nintendo discontinued the Wi-Fi service, which really takes away from the experience. The tracks are well-designed and fun to race on, and the graphics are insanely good for a DS game. Once you start playing for a few hours, you'll realize that the AI is far too easy, and you can SEE the rubber banding. That's where online came in. There wasn't very much lag but since Nintendo took away the Wi-Fi functionality from all DS games, it doesn't work anymore. However, you can still play locally with friends and it is still as fun as ever. The battle mode is great as well. This is an essential for any owners of the DS. Expand
  14. Apr 6, 2016
    Mario Kart DS continues to live up the chain of being the best Mario Kart game on a classical handheld. Race against your friends? Yes, please. Online style and then we'll race to see who'll win a special award.
  15. Mar 18, 2016
    Probably my favourite Mario Kart game.

Probably my favourite Mario Kart game.

The most memorable tracks, and it plays and looks great on the DS. The graphics are a little blocky, such is the norm on the console, but that is part of the charm. When racing though, you'll find the controls to be very responsive and in no time at all you'll be power sliding and boosting around every bend. The sounds are fun and the music is great.

It gets quite difficult on single player 150cc, where coming first requires immense skill, and no small amount of luck - especially once that damned blue shell comes into play!

Well worth finding if you don't already have it, it's been out for 11 years and I still grab it to play (as I did today which led to this mini-review!) Later games widened the tracks and made things a lot easier. Mario Kart DS is, for me, the definitive version of the game.
  16. Jan 29, 2016
    This game has to be one of the best Mario Karts! The awesome courses, like Waluigi Pinball, Delfino Square, Tick-Tock Clock, are very fun to play! Never forget this awesome DS Game!
  17. Jan 28, 2016
    It was one of the first mario kart games I played and it did not entertain me all that much also the graphics suck and it really is bad game.In other words the worst game in the series(Mario kart 5)
  18. Dec 3, 2015
    It's alright but one of my least favorite of the mario kart franchise, my least being the one for the gamecube.
    It just isn't that fun to me, well you can customize an emblem on your kart and there's new characters, also this challenge mode that;s a bit weird but it's still the same fun competitive game to play with your friends.
  19. Nov 18, 2015
    To this day one of the best Mario Kart games ever made. Incredibly fun both on single player and on local Wi-Fi, it has very good graphics (considering it's an early title for the NDS). Offers a fun ride for the casual gamer and a decent challenge for the hardcore. Also has a fairly memorable soundtrack - especially considering it borrows some tunes from earlier Mario Kart games.

The

The only minor flaw is the internet multiplayer.
  20. Jul 3, 2015
    Although not quite as good as the Wii version, the control is better than a Wii Wheel, and the graphics are decent. The multiplayer DS Download Play is great, and the game is filled with extra missions and bosses. There are only a few problems. One, the "Throw Item" is mapped to L, and drifting can be done with only R. This really sucks if one of your buttons are broken, as is common onAlthough not quite as good as the Wii version, the control is better than a Wii Wheel, and the graphics are decent. The multiplayer DS Download Play is great, and the game is filled with extra missions and bosses. There are only a few problems. One, the "Throw Item" is mapped to L, and drifting can be done with only R. This really sucks if one of your buttons are broken, as is common on both the DS and DSi. There's no real touchscreen utilization for these, and all the front buttons are taken up for some reason. Secondly, there's no tricks, which makes the sense of speed rather dull. But these aren't necessarily deal breakers, especially if you're good at fixing the shoulder buttons. It definitely deserves a recommendation, though, but I think the Wii has it beat by a little bit. Expand
  21. May 30, 2015
    I recently played this game on the Wii U Virtual Console and this was probably one of the best games Nintendo could have picked to launch the DS VC with.

Though the game isn't as good as recent entries, I'll be reviewing based on how it was at the time (2005). MKDS consists of the traditional characters we all know and love (while still managing to have a better roster than MK7). R.O.B. is a bit of a questionable choice. E. Gadd, who was a bit more popular at the time, might have been a better pick but I can look past that.

As always, the main focus is the racing. Though none of the courses are "bad," per se, I did find Yoshi Falls to be a bit of a bore as it's just a simple oval. My favorites though were the unique Waluigi Pinball, Tick-Tock Clock, and Airship Fortress. For some reason, I'm also fond of DK Pass. This is the first Mario Kart to feature retro courses so it's a bit surprising they went for some strange choices such as two Luigi Circuits (GCN and GBA). That doesn't, however, change the fact that the courses are still enjoyable such as Choco Mountain and Mushroom Bridge.

Mission Mode, so far, has only appeared in this installment. I know many really enjoyed this mode and are begging for it to return in future games in the series but after playing it myself, I think I'd rather have either an improved battle mode or an entirely new mode. Not that Mission Mode is bad, I just didn't enjoy it as much as other people. The items are a pretty big highlight of the game. Unlike Mario Kart Wii, they're as balanced as they could possibly be. I do wish the Boo item (turns you invisible and steals an enemy's item) would make a comeback at some point.

Overall, Mario Kart DS was great for its time. While its graphics don't hold up that well today, the game is still a fun experience with some of the most unique courses in the game as well as some more great ideas like Mission Mode, even if they aren't as fun as they could've been. I doubt you'd be picking this up on a DS so if you have a Wii U, get it on the Virtual Console.
  22. Apr 4, 2015
    This game is decent. Not the best Mario Kart but pretty good. The graphics are okay for DS. The tracks were fine. The character selection is average. The gameplay is good. Mario Kart DS is a good Mario Kart game but there are other Mario Karts better. I would say it's worth getting to add to your MK collection.
  23. Apr 2, 2015
    It's easy to see some of the reasons why MKDS is regarded as the best Mario Kart. The gameplay is nearly perfect, the track collection is great (and the largest of its time), it has possibly the best battle mode in the game, the new mission mode is a great addition (that would've been great in later games), AND it's the first online MK. So... why a 7, instead of a 10? The reasons may seemIt's easy to see some of the reasons why MKDS is regarded as the best Mario Kart. The gameplay is nearly perfect, the track collection is great (and the largest of its time), it has possibly the best battle mode in the game, the new mission mode is a great addition (that would've been great in later games), AND it's the first online MK. So... why a 7, instead of a 10? The reasons may seem minor, but they really affect the enjoyableness of the game. First, the AI aren't too smart (or fast in most tracks), making the single player painfully easy. Secondly, getting drift boosts quickly can be very easy, allowing what's called "snaking" in multiplayer. It's possibly the most overpowered exploit I've ever seen. Being in single player and multiplayer races, these problems are very difficult to avoid, unless you only play battle mode or mission mode. Despite these issues, the game itself is still great, and you should be able to have a good time with friends playing this DS classic. Expand
  24. Mar 16, 2015
    Das war eines meiner ersten Spiele und es hatte ein großes Wirken auf meine Gamingerfahrung , denn nun wusste ich um ein weiteres Stück mehr , was ein episches Spiel ausmacht . Ich habe es immer genossen , allein oder mit meinen Freunden in nie langweiligen Wettkämpfen herumzufahren und die Atmosphäre , die dieses Spiel preisgibt , auf mich wirken zu lassen . Danke , Nintendo ! ^-^
  25. Feb 26, 2015
    I find this game okay, The characters were great,the graphics were okay,the gameplay is okay,the challenge mode is fine. I conquered this game 100% and is definitely a must get. The stages and courses are great. Overall, it was awesome.
  26. Feb 12, 2015
    I managed to beat the game and unlock everything. Despite the lack of voice over, it's still a fun game to play.
    Mario Kart games are what made people get those consoles like SNES, N64, GBA, Gamecube, etc. etc.
  27. Dec 3, 2014
    Uh.... Donkey Kong.... you okay there, buddy?

The courses are fun, and I like playing as ROB. Its main problem is its graphics. However, it redeems itself with the mission mode. Nothing like this was ever seen in a Mario Kart game, and it never was again. I really liked that mode.
  28. Oct 24, 2014
    Definitely one of my favourite NDS games to date, the only thing that I have trouble with are the controls. It feels unconformable to play for long periods of time which is sort of a bummer, but one of the best games i have played ever!
  29. Oct 19, 2014
    I think this is the worst game in the Mario Kart series.While it is´nt that horrible, it has some flaws that I don´t like, the first been ing, that, if do do not have a profile, you get to play as Shy Guy EVERY TIME!!!
  30. Aug 15, 2014
    Oh gosh, this game is great! This was one of the biggest influences of my childhood! It was one of the video games that really got me into gaming. While the multi-player isn't too impressive, what really makes it stand out is the single-player mode. It's great! There's the Grand Prix Mode, Time Trials, VS Race (A.K.A Free Run), Battle Mode and Mission Mode! I really have enjoyed this gameOh gosh, this game is great! This was one of the biggest influences of my childhood! It was one of the video games that really got me into gaming. While the multi-player isn't too impressive, what really makes it stand out is the single-player mode. It's great! There's the Grand Prix Mode, Time Trials, VS Race (A.K.A Free Run), Battle Mode and Mission Mode! I really have enjoyed this game since I was eight and still love it to pieces to this day! Apart from the DS not being the most appropriate for larger hands like mine, the control is perfect. Drifting is easy to do and enjoyable, the item balance is right so you won't see the Blue Shell too often but not everyone will get you a Bullet Bill. This course also introduced online play and retro courses! Retro courses are one of my favorite parts of the Mario Kart franchise and I owe it all to Double Dash. Your kart steers very well, nothing like Double Dash's slightly slippery driving, which isn't very helpful on windy roads where you easily fall down. While Double Dash had two incredibly good battle modes (Shine Thief and Bob-Omb Blast) I can't owe it to all that Mario Kart DS to this day has the greatest Balloon Battle out of any entry in the series! You start with one balloon, then have five more in stock. If you choose to have less balloons, you get out faster but get better items! Plus it has some great Battle Mode stages! All of them, except for Tart Top which is alright but fine since Double Dash had Tilt-A-Kart which wasn't very good either. But I like this game so much that I would play it over Mario Kart: Double Dash!
    The music is upbeat and cheerful...most of the time. It did have the horrible Yoshi Falls track, but apart from that track all other tracks were memorable for me. Especially what could be my favorite track of all time: Airship Fortress. The retro track music isn't quite as good as the original games, but still pretty good to me!
    Snaking got me competitive as well, so those are great aspect of these games. While the retro tracks didn't have such a proud selection (could've had better GBA and N64 stages), I'm very happy with a lot of these tracks. My second favorite video game of all time! It deserves a ten for all it has done!

#1 Most Discussed DS Game of 2005
#1 Most Shared DS Game of 2005

Everything about MKDS comes together into a surprisingly compelling package, a portable racing game on par with anything ever to appear on a console.
  2. Reason alone to own the DS platform. All of the fun that has been intrinsic to the series is intact, and the much-anticipated online component simply seals the deal. This is best game in the series by far, and perhaps the best kart-style racing game ever to come along.
    It's hard to imagine how Nintendo's going to improve on what they've done for this stunning portable rendition. There's so much gameplay and depth in this design, moreso than the series has ever had in the past.