8.6

1. Mar 22, 2014
    The DS iteration of Mario Kart remains my favourite in the series to this day and friends and I lost many, many hours on this game. The track design and gameplay are excellent as always but, for me at least, Mario Kart DS struck the best balance between rewarding skillful driving and needing luck on your side.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    I wouldn't call it the best in the series, but other than having its moments, it has fantastic gameplay that captures the feeling similarly to Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario Kart.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    "Mario Kart" is a great multiplayer game with many characters and fun stuff to do...with friends!!!! Co-op rocks!!! BUT. It gets too repetitive due to the lack of single-player. If your fine with that, you'll live with the game.
  4. May 3, 2012
    Although limited by it's genre, Mario Kart DS is about as good as a karting game can be on the DS. It controls well and has a ton of content. The game also appeals nicely to nostalgia, featuring a 'greatest hits' package of past Mario Kart tracks alongside the brand new ones. Basically, if you're craving a descent cartoon racer for the DS then you need look no further.
  5. Jan 9, 2011
    This game is so addictive.
  6. Jan 10, 2013
    Total shell tossing mayhem, crazy news itens.
  7. Apr 24, 2011
    One Of The Best Games Ever Made! Great Great Great! I Was So Shocked How Much I Loved It!
  8. May 25, 2011
    Even though Mario Kart Wii supports 12 people in WiFi, 4 is enough for frantic action in WiFi on Mario Kart DS. The smooth controls, great graphics, and excellent soundtrack make this game a gem. What I DON'T like in this installment, however, is the abuse of the drifting in WiFi.
  9. Oct 29, 2013
    This is definitely not the best Mario Kart game out of all 7 it's in 4th, but it's not a bad game at all, but I can't stand some of the character voices ESPECIALLY Daisy.
  10. Jan 23, 2012
    As the same with Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Kart DS is the first DS game I have ever phad and in a broad perspective, the best Mario Kart game ever made. Everything is done right in this game. Its track selection is amazing, the gameplay is the most balanced out of all the Mario Karts, it has more contents than any other Mario Kart games and introduced the greatest thing to ever happenAs the same with Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Kart DS is the first DS game I have ever phad and in a broad perspective, the best Mario Kart game ever made. Everything is done right in this game. Its track selection is amazing, the gameplay is the most balanced out of all the Mario Karts, it has more contents than any other Mario Kart games and introduced the greatest thing to ever happen to Mario Kart: multiplayer racing. This is the perfect Mario Kart game and one of the best games on the Nintendo DS. Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2015
    I find this game okay, The characters were great,the graphics were okay,the gameplay is okay,the challenge mode is fine. I conquered this game 100% and is definitely a must get. The stages and courses are great. Overall, it was awesome.
  12. Apr 4, 2015
    This game is decent. Not the best Mario Kart but pretty good. The graphics are okay for DS. The tracks were fine. The character selection is average. The gameplay is good. Mario Kart DS is a good Mario Kart game but there are other Mario Karts better. I would say it's worth getting to add to your MK collection.
  13. Aug 23, 2010
    A near flawless Mario Kart experience, but could have beniffeted from being released later in the DS's timeline, so as to include more tracks and characters. Even saying that, MArio Kart DS is packed with content, featuring 32 tracks and a decent amount of characters. With sme smooth and solid grpahics for DS, this is a definitive racing experience, and has a lot more soul than the WiiA near flawless Mario Kart experience, but could have beniffeted from being released later in the DS's timeline, so as to include more tracks and characters. Even saying that, MArio Kart DS is packed with content, featuring 32 tracks and a decent amount of characters. With sme smooth and solid grpahics for DS, this is a definitive racing experience, and has a lot more soul than the Wii version. With another player, the rel fun begins, and the spirit of Mario Kar comes alive- pure multiplayer fun. Expand
  14. Jan 9, 2014
    The best racer on the DS. Even though it's not my favorite Mario Kart game, this game is great for the DS. I had a lot of fun with this game, it's one of the best games on the DS.
  15. Sep 24, 2010
    No question, one of the best video games I've ever played. I've played this game for nearly 5 years, and I'm still hooked on Mario Kart DS. I love it!
  16. Dec 14, 2011
    For something made in 2005, this game is underrated. It may be one of the best video games ever produced that year. Nintendo has upped its game. Extremely recommended for 7+ kids and adults all alike.
  17. Oct 28, 2011
    Mario Kart DS, The fifth game in the Mario Kart series and the second game in the Mario kart Series for Nintendo's portable consoles is what would be expected to anyone who has played the previous or future titles in the series, it is a competitive racing game with a large variety of strange and wacky items, power ups and weapons to use with a large cast of Mario series characters whichMario Kart DS, The fifth game in the Mario Kart series and the second game in the Mario kart Series for Nintendo's portable consoles is what would be expected to anyone who has played the previous or future titles in the series, it is a competitive racing game with a large variety of strange and wacky items, power ups and weapons to use with a large cast of Mario series characters which include Mario, Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Peach, Toad, Donkey Kong and King "Bowser" Koopa along with four unlockable extra characters. The game's main mode Gran Prix consists of eight Cups, four cups with original race tracks and 4 cups with random tracks from older Mario Kart releases. There is a Mission mode for challenges and boss battles, a single player Ballon Battle mode and Shine Runners mode with AI opponents, a Time Trail mode for you to practice for best times and race ghost data. There are also multiple multiplayer modes including a Download Play demo for friends to try out (your friend will play as a Shyguy of a random colour and you will only have access to two of the eight cups), wireless multiplayer which includes "Balloon Battle" "Shine Runners" and "Gran Prix Modes" and Wifi multiplayer modes which consists of a Gran Prix of 4 races on tracks voted by the players against different player types with include "Regional" players from your general area, "Worldwide" players from all over the world, "Rivals" with similar online records to you and "Friends" which you have added to your friends list via registering their friend code. The Wifi multiplayer game gives more than enough replayablility and excitement to encourage players to keep coming back for more and to ensure that buyers get value from their purchase. There are some annoying parts to Wifi multiplayer that needs to be addressed however, some racetrack environmental hazards are disabled to stop players online from desyncing or laging with other opponents, You can't drag items behind your kart to protect yourself from damage for similar lag reasons (this can be somewhat solved by skillfully dropping your item right before a weapon collides with you to block it), there is quite a bit of players online with vulgar usernames or avatars or with hacking tools in use in an attempt to ruin the fun of the game and there are frequent trends of players disconnecting if they feel they are going to lose or it they assume a player is hacking or cheating even if they are not. An amazing game that is well worth the price you pay for it but primitive Wifi multiplayer services (from 2005, one of the first Wifi games for DS) and frustrating behaviours of online players can be a tad bit annoying to get used to. Expand
  18. Apr 27, 2011
    8.5/10 = Great = A fun portable racer that's accessable and innovative with it's online features. Got repetitive for me though.
  19. May 4, 2012
    Mario Kart DS is not quite the worst Mario Kart I have played, but is definitely not the best. The graphics were pretty good. The online multiplayer is great, especially since the few of my friends that even have a Nintendo DS do not want to spend the time to get it all together. The unlockables were a fair challenge and were varied. I usually bring this title on a trip because of itsMario Kart DS is not quite the worst Mario Kart I have played, but is definitely not the best. The graphics were pretty good. The online multiplayer is great, especially since the few of my friends that even have a Nintendo DS do not want to spend the time to get it all together. The unlockables were a fair challenge and were varied. I usually bring this title on a trip because of its simplicity and replayability. There was one major flaw, though. It lacked any depth to be taken seriously. The races were more boring than the other titles mainly because the tracks did not have a lot of work put into them. Still, good game, especially for the Nintendo DS's flooded infantile, childish titles. Expand
  20. Dec 7, 2012
    I seriously don't get how people like this game. The one reason I take away three point three out of ten is because of its horrendous graphics, I know, I'm being cruel, but here's an idea, why don't you make it like the one for gameboy advanced or Super Nintendo, so the graphics would look half decent. One aspect that is a positive would be the variety of character (compared to the minimalI seriously don't get how people like this game. The one reason I take away three point three out of ten is because of its horrendous graphics, I know, I'm being cruel, but here's an idea, why don't you make it like the one for gameboy advanced or Super Nintendo, so the graphics would look half decent. One aspect that is a positive would be the variety of character (compared to the minimal selection in 7). Overall, 6.7/10 Expand
  21. Jul 20, 2011
    Mario Kart DS offers all the polished gameplay and peerless multiplayer mode you'd expect from a Mario Kart Game. Ther's plenty of depth too with the excellent mission mode, battle mode, and tons of hidden karts and characters to unlock. Personally i would have liked a few more original tracks but you can't have everything eh?
  22. Jul 9, 2014
    Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob RobRob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Expand
  23. Jan 8, 2011
    If you are lloking for a great Mario adventure to pass the time, don't miss out on Mario Kart DS. Including all the great extras, it would be a great addition to any DS collection. There is no story line to go along with the game, but the simplicity and dynamics of the game will keep you playing for hours on end.
  24. Dec 25, 2010
    Mario Kart DS is a racing game, in which the player races in a kart against other racers as one of 13 characters, each with three karts to choose from. While racing, the Nintendo DS's top screen offers a third-person perspective of the player's kart, while the bottom touchscreen shows the race's current standings, items carried by each racer, and a map of the course. The bottom screen canMario Kart DS is a racing game, in which the player races in a kart against other racers as one of 13 characters, each with three karts to choose from. While racing, the Nintendo DS's top screen offers a third-person perspective of the player's kart, while the bottom touchscreen shows the race's current standings, items carried by each racer, and a map of the course. The bottom screen can be toggled to show either an overview of the entire course, or a bird's-eye view of the player's kart and the immediate vicinity, including nearby racers, course hazards, item boxes, and incoming attacks. Each course features item boxes that the player can drive through to receive a randomly selected item, which the player can use to gain an advantage over other racers. Some items allow the player to attack other racers to slow them down, while other items can be used to speed up the player's own kart to pass other racers more easily. Thank you Wikipedia, this game is absoulete excellent. Expand
  25. Feb 13, 2012
    Purely the best racing game ever made. With online play (being a first for the series), missions, and tons of characters and stages to unlock, this game could keep you occupied forever. Must have for any racing fan.
  26. Feb 12, 2015
    I managed to beat the game and unlock everything. Despite the lack of voice over, it's still a fun game to play.
    Mario Kart games are what made people get those consoles like SNES, N64, GBA, Gamecube, etc. etc.
  27. Apr 15, 2012
    this game was fun but got tiring after wards and I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gald they came out with the mario kart 7 game
  28. Sep 19, 2013
    Mario Kart DS was a good addition to the franchise. With 12 playable characters and a number of new tracks, it is definitely a fun game. Along with new tracks, updated versions of older tracks also make their way into this game, which i think is great. I would have liked to seen a little bit more characters though, and I am still waiting for the day Nintendo drops rubber banding of CPUMario Kart DS was a good addition to the franchise. With 12 playable characters and a number of new tracks, it is definitely a fun game. Along with new tracks, updated versions of older tracks also make their way into this game, which i think is great. I would have liked to seen a little bit more characters though, and I am still waiting for the day Nintendo drops rubber banding of CPU drivers. Expand
  29. Jan 16, 2011
    Shame this game has gone missing somewhere. Oh yes AnonymousMC. A PSP is a portable PS2. No wait. The games on it suck and there's only a few games worth playing on it. The DS is original and not like the Wii most of the games are not shovelware. Just what I'd expect from a Sony Guy. Oh the game. Sorry. The graphics are really good for a DS game, the game is really fun to play, theShame this game has gone missing somewhere. Oh yes AnonymousMC. A PSP is a portable PS2. No wait. The games on it suck and there's only a few games worth playing on it. The DS is original and not like the Wii most of the games are not shovelware. Just what I'd expect from a Sony Guy. Oh the game. Sorry. The graphics are really good for a DS game, the game is really fun to play, the multiplayer is really good, the tracks are fun to play on and some Retro tracks are back and the music is back and has not been messed around with too much. The only two bones I have to pick with it though is that there's not much tracks to race on and Shine Runners is just a stupid idea. If you own a DS and don't have this, this game needs to be added to your collection. Expand

Everything about MKDS comes together into a surprisingly compelling package, a portable racing game on par with anything ever to appear on a console.
  2. Reason alone to own the DS platform. All of the fun that has been intrinsic to the series is intact, and the much-anticipated online component simply seals the deal. This is best game in the series by far, and perhaps the best kart-style racing game ever to come along.
    It's hard to imagine how Nintendo's going to improve on what they've done for this stunning portable rendition. There's so much gameplay and depth in this design, moreso than the series has ever had in the past.