• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
8.3

1. NateB.
    Sep 21, 2006
    I have always wanted a Castlevania or Metroid style MegaMan game and I feel like this game had the right idea, but things just weren't implemented too well. It's more of Mega Man Zero 5 as opposed to a new version altogether. The game-play is typical megaman and the new difficulties are nice and accommodate megaman newbies and vets alike. The main things that bother me are the I have always wanted a Castlevania or Metroid style MegaMan game and I feel like this game had the right idea, but things just weren't implemented too well. It's more of Mega Man Zero 5 as opposed to a new version altogether. The game-play is typical megaman and the new difficulties are nice and accommodate megaman newbies and vets alike. The main things that bother me are the lack of depth that games like Metroid and Castlevania have and the absence of a map system is a huge annoyance. You can see how areas are linked, but that system is totally unintuitive that you run around forever until you figure out where to go. The worst is that you have to accept a mission, otherwise events won't happen when you walk into an area. Why can't you just take on multiple missions, and then be able to run around without worrying about finding a needle in a haystack? I'd much prefer an actual map system so I could see everything I have explored and how areas actually link up (where the doors are, etc.). If you like megaman games (like me) you can't go wrong, but the map system, lack of items, and absence of anything like an upgrade system (like leveling up, or something like the elf system) or more weapons (the forms are kind of lame and too similar to each other) really prevent this game from being fantastic. As is, it's worth playing, but only if you liked the MegaMan Zero games. Expand
  2. Aug 5, 2013
    Very solid entry in the series.

It has the good ol' Mega Man jump n' shoot feel to it.
    Cool and entertaining story that doesn't spoil the action.

One complaint is the annoyance brought from the map system which is close to non-existent.
    A lot of times you end up running around exploring to figure what you are even looking for.

A solid platformer worth playing though.

7 out of 10.
  3. MrtM.
    Oct 24, 2006
    This game really sucks! I like Megaman games but this one is a deception, because the mission system just sucks! and you have to go around the entire place to find where are you meant to go! so it ruins the very well built mission system it had before plus the graphic are like for the sp.
  4. DarrenZ.
    Sep 25, 2006
    In addition to what Nate B. wrote, this game seems to have been designed for a system with no RAM as enemies immediately respawn as soon as you exit their screen-space. Retreating is tactically useless simply because there's never a safe place behind you to retreat to. The general effect is to compel you to simply barrel forward, mindlessly shooting whatever enemies happen to be in In addition to what Nate B. wrote, this game seems to have been designed for a system with no RAM as enemies immediately respawn as soon as you exit their screen-space. Retreating is tactically useless simply because there's never a safe place behind you to retreat to. The general effect is to compel you to simply barrel forward, mindlessly shooting whatever enemies happen to be in front of you. Not to mention this could have been a Game Boy Advance game for all the use the second screen gets. There's potential for a really great game here (heck, I'd have settled for a merely good one!); however, there are simply too many flaws that get in the way of the fun. Expand
  5. Tupac
    Aug 12, 2007
    It's just like the old megaman x games for snes in terms of gameplay except you don't know how to get where you're supposed to go half the time. the story is decent but that doesn't really matter to me. If it was easier to find out where to go this would have been a 9.
  6. Dec 7, 2016
    Megaman ZX can be a bit frustrating with its map system, and it can be very easy to feel lost. However, the game is very fun to play with the many abilities players can unlock after defeating each boss. Megaman fans will have a blast.
  7. Aug 23, 2017
    I should open this review by saying I grew up with a PC, not a console, so my first experience with Megaman games was the official Windows port of the first Megaman X. All my favorite platformers have been on PC, everything from Abuse to the Shantae series to Rogue Stormers. For me, a controller just doesn't do the job well enough, and my performance suffers for it. I'm just not very goodI should open this review by saying I grew up with a PC, not a console, so my first experience with Megaman games was the official Windows port of the first Megaman X. All my favorite platformers have been on PC, everything from Abuse to the Shantae series to Rogue Stormers. For me, a controller just doesn't do the job well enough, and my performance suffers for it. I'm just not very good at Megaman games- but a keyboard lets me pretend that I am.

In the case of ZX, it was a borrow from a friend, so I played it on my 3DS XL. There's a lot I like about the game: The similarity of movement and combat to the early X games, the nods to the Zero series, the Metroid-esque, open-ended map and mission structure, the bright and vibrant colors, and of course, the ability to play as Zero- if only by proxy. But there's a lot I didn't like, and mostly that's problems with my hands and with the weight and awkwardness of the console, leading to issues like my thumb slipping off the control nub. As a result, I had to play the game on easy to get anywhere in a timely fashion, a fact I'd apologize for but at this point, I simply don't have the time to waste dying to the same bosses repeatedly.

But where the actual game is concerned, I didn't much like how flagrantly animesque the character designs and plot have become, nor did I at all like how absolutely useless the map system was. Also, a "return to HQ" ability would have been real nice.

ZX is by no means a bad game, but It wasn't totally enjoyable for me to play. That should not at all dissuade anyone reading this from looking into it, especially if you've enjoyed the other core Megaman games.

#17 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#16 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

1. The Castlevania/Metroid style of play works really well here and is used at it's full potential. This is a great addition to any Megaman fan's collection, although, again, I suggest to wait for the english version. [JPN Import]
  2. Play Magazine