Metroid Prime: Hunters DS

8.1

1. Dec 10, 2015
    This is my favorite game on the DS so far. I had to write a review, cuz it is so damn good. I just finished playing. The graphics are sick!!! It's not perfect (e.g. save points are a little far from each other) but it is incredibly good.
  2. Apr 28, 2014
    Pretty good game! This game is a bit old but well worth picking up if you like first person games. We had a lot of fun with it during the Easter holidays. It's not as good as on a TV console, but on the 3DS is plays fantastically well. If you like the series this is a must to have.
  3. Mar 17, 2014
    A must have if you enjoyed the prime series. The game is placed between Metroid prime and Metroid prime 2: Echoes. Prime hunters truly deserves to belong to this series, the controls are easy to learn and very intuitive and the level design is very similar to its predecessors.
  4. Mar 15, 2014
    Metroid Prime Hunters is the best FPS on the DS. The exploration and game world is great. The puzzles could have been better but are still good. The multiplayer is interesting with multiple characters to fit your playstyle..
  5. Jun 22, 2013
    Whilst the single player is very good it is multiplayer where this really shines. Grab some mates, sit down and let the carnage begin! This is the ONLY decent FPS for the DS and with a thumb tap and some decent local wireless friends makes a great afternoon!
  6. May 10, 2012
    Poor single player, but the multiplayer is excellent and very polished. A blast to play with friends especially since you only need one card. Other stand outs include the graphics and decent soundtrack. Still, it definitely doesn't have the same atmosphere as the console series. It's more like a sampler, though without the innovation or creative level design that the console games are famous for.
  7. Mar 21, 2012
    this game is great all around....pretty good story mode......and intense wi fi and download play....the download play could be the best thing that came to the ds....awesome game awesome graphics theres so much to like about this game nd theres nothing to insult about this game....buy this game while its still not crossing over the $50 mark
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    Wow. I instantly played this game and thought, 'Is this really a DS'?
    Wow. I instantly played this game and thought, 'Is this really a DS'?
    The graphics were so clean and polished, and all flowed quite well. The story, was average for the most part, and the level did seem a tad too repetitive, but honestly, the graphics in each level really impressed me, and the gameplay just added to this. Then we have the multi-player. Upon playing it, this game just became a lot more fun. Each character have their own alt-form, as well as their weapon of choice. As such, it allows for each type of player to chose the hunter that best suits his/her strategy.
    So, this game is able to uphold the reputation of Metroid Prime, even on this minute console. And, apart from the rooms being a little similar, the graphics are gameplay are just amazing.
  9. Nov 25, 2011
    I rated this game 8 not because of it's story mode, but of it's multi-player.
    You can add bots if you have no people to battle!
    I do that all the time!
    Pretty much the only portable FPS I know besides MGS: portable ops (I don't have that game though)
  10. Nov 10, 2011
    As a metroid fan I always loved the prime series, so lets start with the review.

Story: The singeplayer was not what I usually would expect from a metroid serie, the mission were mostly the same (at least when fighting a boss) which could bother some people. Multiplayer: Very entertaining, you have as a player a lot of options to choose and it feel quite ballanced, sad enough no one plays it anymore and its overpopulated with hackers.

Soundtracks: Fits the game really well, like I usually expect from them.

Conclusion: If you want to play this game just for the story, then the objectives that you have to do may bother you since it mostly the same. If you play this game for the multiplayer, the I suggest you play it with a friend and not online due to all the hackers.
    If you play this because you are a fan of Metroid, then it will be a fun experience.

warriorjan
  11. Jul 16, 2011
    I know , i know , the gameplay is painful and hard, but is too damn addicting the multiplayer. Starting with the story, is rewarding, while it lacks with almost no enemies in the adventure, there's a good time in it. The cut scene are great and looks detailed even for this little screen. A good arsenal of varied special attacks mixture the experience and add diversity. As for theI know , i know , the gameplay is painful and hard, but is too damn addicting the multiplayer. Starting with the story, is rewarding, while it lacks with almost no enemies in the adventure, there's a good time in it. The cut scene are great and looks detailed even for this little screen. A good arsenal of varied special attacks mixture the experience and add diversity. As for the multiplayer, even if it is offline is what i said in the beginning of the review. If you don't know what i meant for painful, is what Jaglur said, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is the flaw in here, ouch, i think my fingers are destroyed. Expand
  12. Jul 8, 2011
    I can say this is a great game just cause I have barely played the single player and just went to multiplayer when it started to suck (immediately). Only downside is that you can only do battle mode in multiplayer there should be other modes like survival. Hey and for all you kids whining about your hands hurting, theres a simple and obvious solution. Didnt you know theres stylus left handI can say this is a great game just cause I have barely played the single player and just went to multiplayer when it started to suck (immediately). Only downside is that you can only do battle mode in multiplayer there should be other modes like survival. Hey and for all you kids whining about your hands hurting, theres a simple and obvious solution. Didnt you know theres stylus left hand and stylus right hand. So when your left hand starts cramping, switch it to right hand mode!!! Expand
  13. Mar 17, 2011
    This game is pretty damn awesome, and if you don't have it you should go and get it.
    As a FPS it works well, the stylus controls are easy to get used to, and they give you precise aiming (maybe too precise because in multiplayer with any amount of skill you can headshot everyone without having to scope with the sniper) They might break your hand if you play this game for a long time on multiplayer, on singleplayer there are enough breaks in the action for your hand to net get too worn out.
    Graphics are nice, everything has got pretty good textures, explosions are nice to look at, and the cutscene graphics are of almost ps2 quality (which is an achievement for a handheld such as this)
    Gameplay is fast paced and solid, the puzzle sections are never too tricky to figure out, and the only gripe I had with it was in some of the morphball puzzles.
    multiplayer GLITCHES, GLITCHES EVERYWHERE if you can get into a match where people are not just hiding inside walls then it's a lot of fun, this is the only reason i'm not giving this game a 10. The character selection is decent, with each hunter being unlocked as you play through the single player, and each of them having their own abilities.
    You can play against bots if you just fancy killing some time, the AI is decent enough on hardest to give you a run for your money, so even if you can't get online you can still use the hunters you unlock.
    Download play is pretty good as well, even if it means you stomp on your friends because they're all forced to play as Samus
    All in all this is a good DS title with probably the best controls for FPSs on it, the gameplay is fun, the single player is short but interesting, multiplayer is buggy but when it isn't then it's good fun, and the graphics are fantastic.
  14. Sep 28, 2010
    8 This is actually very good to be a DS game, considering how all the other portable fps games have failed big time. The graphics are great, the story is thrilling as always. Also, the controls on this game are great, once you get used to controlling the screen and buttons at the same time.
  15. Sep 6, 2010
    Provided you use the thumb-nub accessory for the touch screen instead of a stylus to avoid cramp you will have little difficulty with the controls, free to reap the benefits of a more accurate mouse-like aiming system sorely lacking on all other portable game consoles and analog-stick shooters. Multiplayer aside (complimented enough as it is) I fee I have to defend the single-playerProvided you use the thumb-nub accessory for the touch screen instead of a stylus to avoid cramp you will have little difficulty with the controls, free to reap the benefits of a more accurate mouse-like aiming system sorely lacking on all other portable game consoles and analog-stick shooters. Multiplayer aside (complimented enough as it is) I fee I have to defend the single-player campaign from the flak it has received. Metroid has always been about the isolation and lonely exploration of its universe, allowing its players to observe and interpret its rich background and nature in their own way. The scan visor and the innumerable scannable objects in the game provide this data in a way akin to genuine self-led discovery as opposed to that of a camera-led, cutscene rich journey, and that is part of the beauty and mystery of Metroid games (although admittedly different mixes in Fusion and Other M prove just as enjoyable). The primary issue of the single-player campaign is its repeating boss and odd climax-less countdowns. Otherwise this remains an excellent experience for those with the patience and imagination to take the game slowly, scan every creature, lore-piece and equipment. Those without the patience clearly do not appreciate what sort of game this was meant to be. [score: 8.5, rounded up] Expand
  16. Sep 2, 2010
    Metroid Prime Hunters is all about multiplayers. I never been able to play in single player mode for more then twenty minutes, I always switch to the multiplayers mode. The new hunters are original and very cool to play. Each one of them as it's unique morph form that can be used for different play style. The stages are great and can be used for some strategic advantage. Even the onlineMetroid Prime Hunters is all about multiplayers. I never been able to play in single player mode for more then twenty minutes, I always switch to the multiplayers mode. The new hunters are original and very cool to play. Each one of them as it's unique morph form that can be used for different play style. The stages are great and can be used for some strategic advantage. Even the online feels better than a lot of Wii games. The only down side of Metroid Prime Hunters is the technical limitation of the DS. This game could as been easily my best game of the year if it as been made for the Wii. A must have for all FPS and online multiplayers fans. Expand
  17. AnonymousMC
    Aug 15, 2009
    A Hope For The Future.
    The Best games for the DS. A a worthy First Person Shooter. But there are some things that make it fall short of the Metriod standard. There was ship exploration, a Lava world, Ice World, and a short cave like world (Gorea's Lair). But there was no Underwater, no tropical, and no new world.
    Also There were no Suit Upgrades at all, which is a huge part of
    A Hope For The Future.
    Also There were no Suit Upgrades at all, which is a huge part of the game series, and a small heartbreak about Prime Hunters.
    Judged without its ancestors it is a top notch game. Multiplayer is Great, stylus control is the best. Single Player is Good Too, offering a long time of Game play.

This Game Shows how good the DS can make a game.
    And Makes me hope for a new Metriod Prime for the DS. Maybe with space pirates and Metriods next time. If the DS dies without another Metriod for it I will be extreamly mad a Nintendo.
  18. WilliamT.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Controls a little uncomfortable, the level design a bit confusing, the action repetitive, but still one of the best games you'll find on the DS.
  19. AndrésP.
    Nov 18, 2007
    I'm so excited with this game because this game is a mix between awesome graphics and great multiplayer, If you have friends with the ds you'll have much fun.
  20. AJay
    Sep 2, 2007
    Great graphics, fantastic controls, solid single player, and one of the best miltiplayer games ever leave nothing to be desiered!
  21. Mike
    Aug 10, 2007
    DOWNSIDES: well, on one hand as soon as I finished the game, I was a little disappointed to find that the game had repeated itself in so many ways (time limit to escape, only 2 main boss designs, me really wanting syluxs' ship, etc.) plus, there was the added fact that gameplay was still basically shoot anything you see cuz you're your only ally. UPSIDES: However, in all DOWNSIDES: well, on one hand as soon as I finished the game, I was a little disappointed to find that the game had repeated itself in so many ways (time limit to escape, only 2 main boss designs, me really wanting syluxs' ship, etc.) plus, there was the added fact that gameplay was still basically shoot anything you see cuz you're your only ally. UPSIDES: However, in all fairness this was still an awesome title, I mean, how many first person shooters for handhelds are there, much less those with the ability to free roam, not only that but (when used correctly and with some practice) the touch screen provides an intuitive and innovative conrol style (providing your not a jittery fighter or someone who constantly taps the screen making them jump the whole time you fight.) Also, this is one of the few handheld titles in 3D (and pretty good 3D for a handheld) and that had almost cinematic quality cutscenes, and the multiplayer works great, I have never dropped a connection due to a bad server or bad components in the DS itself. Expand
  22. ChrisW.
    Mar 26, 2007
    People say the game hurts, but I don't feel pain! You've GOT to use the STYLUS mode to play properly. I found it very intuitive, and here's some advice, hold it with your non stylus hand, and gently press your stylus hand into the console with your little finger over the trigger for the imperialist. 10 for 1 player, perfectly placed for me, and I would have 13 for People say the game hurts, but I don't feel pain! You've GOT to use the STYLUS mode to play properly. I found it very intuitive, and here's some advice, hold it with your non stylus hand, and gently press your stylus hand into the console with your little finger over the trigger for the imperialist. 10 for 1 player, perfectly placed for me, and I would have 13 for multiplayer, but it only gos up to 10. Expand
  23. ChadeW.
    Mar 15, 2007
    Metroid Prime... oh, how I love thee. You've managed to take one of my favorite games of all time and successfully turn it into a First Person adventure while still making it seem like Metroid. Prime: Hunters, even with a totally new and sometimes confusing control scheme, still manages to create that feeling of traveling through a world and fighting tons of enemies and solving Metroid Prime... oh, how I love thee. You've managed to take one of my favorite games of all time and successfully turn it into a First Person adventure while still making it seem like Metroid. Prime: Hunters, even with a totally new and sometimes confusing control scheme, still manages to create that feeling of traveling through a world and fighting tons of enemies and solving puzzles. It's basically Halo for the handhelds, with some of the best online Multiplayer I've ever seen and fast-paced battles in single player with a decent story. If only people wouldn't always pick the over-powerful blue-lightning dude. I'll be playing this for a long time. Not quite as good as Prime or Prime 2, but with the addition of a very simple yet engaging Multiplayer, this is the best Metroid you'll get anytime soon. Expand
  24. JasonL.
    Mar 2, 2007
    This is great! It's long and fun. Enjoyed it for about 60 hours! I give a 10.
  25. RecardoB.
    Feb 17, 2007
    This is my favorite Metroid game. I love the game play, visuals and sound. The only down side is the controls. They are very hard on the hands when encountering major enemies. One can only play this game for shorter periods of time.
  26. JackD.
    Feb 15, 2007
    A truly brilliant game my friend has the best hiding place on wifi for sniping. THE BEST!
  27. Thatguy
    Jan 7, 2007
    Story mode was fun. It was short, and people complain about the gamecube ones bring longer but there is only so much story one can fit onto a DS game. multiplayer was brilliant. The only big problem is the the controls. They hurt. After an hour, my left hand wouldn't move for like 10 minutes and my pointer fingers and both my thumbs were sore. So I took two points off for that. I Story mode was fun. It was short, and people complain about the gamecube ones bring longer but there is only so much story one can fit onto a DS game. multiplayer was brilliant. The only big problem is the the controls. They hurt. After an hour, my left hand wouldn't move for like 10 minutes and my pointer fingers and both my thumbs were sore. So I took two points off for that. I just want to make one last point: sure the controls are painful, but there is only so much you can do with a game like this. I believe the makers did their best and, all in all, they did a good job. Expand
  28. AntonN.
    Jan 3, 2007
    The single player game is poor but the multi player game is extremely good. The control are really great and you can choose between dual hand or stylus mode, left handed or right handed. Although the game is a lot glitchy, it's really good with two possible ending in single player mode. I give it 8/10 because of the multi player mode and the easy to use controls.
  29. Gamefreak
    Oct 4, 2006
    Its real good a great ending and the best first person shooter I've seen in years but its probably cause I just looooove Metroid.
  30. Rustyboo
    Sep 19, 2006
    Best game evah
  31. MichaelA.
    Sep 1, 2006
    A great Metroid game. The only downside is the story mode. Not saying that it sucks, but it can't compare to the Wi-Fi and local wireless multiplayer. One cool thing about having friends on Wi-Fi is the fact that you can literally talk to them through Wi-Fi by holding down the X button! I DO agree with Charlie N. with one thing. eye boss, tower boss, eye, tower, eye, tower. A great Metroid game. The only downside is the story mode. Not saying that it sucks, but it can't compare to the Wi-Fi and local wireless multiplayer. One cool thing about having friends on Wi-Fi is the fact that you can literally talk to them through Wi-Fi by holding down the X button! I DO agree with Charlie N. with one thing. eye boss, tower boss, eye, tower, eye, tower. Can't they think of something different? Last thing, weapons and charcters. Once again, Nintendo's innovation knows no bounds. The characters having their own matching weapons! In my opinion, Noxus is the best. I almost forgot something. Metroid Prime: Hunters tries so much to be like Halo 2 in multiplayer. Defender in MPH is King of the Hill in H2. Nodes in MPH is Territories in H2. I think I've said enough for now. All I'm saying is that this is a game definitely worthy buying and definitely worth getting Wi-Fi for! One of the NDS's best. Expand
  32. CJjackson
    Aug 6, 2006
    The game is good on game play controls and graphics.
  33. EthanR.
    Jul 11, 2006
    I was never interested in the metroid series, because i never really liked them. I kept on hearing features about this game like the new characters, the wi-fi and other stuff. After hearing all that i had to give this game a try. I started off in story mode and i was addictid. The graphics were spectacular and the controls were awesome because it was so precise with stylus. the levels I was never interested in the metroid series, because i never really liked them. I kept on hearing features about this game like the new characters, the wi-fi and other stuff. After hearing all that i had to give this game a try. I started off in story mode and i was addictid. The graphics were spectacular and the controls were awesome because it was so precise with stylus. the levels stumped me and I got through the game in about a month.the story mode was excellent. The multi player mode was where the game shines. I loved it . there were about 27 stages in all to play in and 7 characters. (sylux rules) So if you're either a metroid fan or ot you'll love this game! Expand
  34. taxoelite
    Jul 6, 2006
    it is a very good game with rely good grafics.
    Jul 4, 2006
    I was slightly dissappointed when I finished this game. It left out a lot of the true MP things that make an authentic MP game. Not all of the classic weapons or characters, the overall world (or worlds) is tiny for a MP game, and sometimes gameplay can be hard and tedious due to the touchscreen mode. But still, this is a good game, nontheless since it is Metorid. And, even if the game I was slightly dissappointed when I finished this game. It left out a lot of the true MP things that make an authentic MP game. Not all of the classic weapons or characters, the overall world (or worlds) is tiny for a MP game, and sometimes gameplay can be hard and tedious due to the touchscreen mode. But still, this is a good game, nontheless since it is Metorid. And, even if the game left out a lot of classic elements, it had a lot of new ones, like the 6 new hunters, wi-fi play, and multiplayer with bots. A good Metroid game, but not worthy of the MP games on gamecube. Those games can be finished after 35 hours of play. This game took me less than 8 hours. Expand
  36. Raya
    May 21, 2006
    This is Metroid Prime on a portable and it lives up to it. It feels just like Prime on the Cube. Visuals and gameplay are excellent. Yes it is easier and less complicated but it's a portable game eg. made for short bursts now and then. If you play prime or echos on the cube and stop for a week it's hard to know where you are or where you went the last time you played. The This is Metroid Prime on a portable and it lives up to it. It feels just like Prime on the Cube. Visuals and gameplay are excellent. Yes it is easier and less complicated but it's a portable game eg. made for short bursts now and then. If you play prime or echos on the cube and stop for a week it's hard to know where you are or where you went the last time you played. The controls are good too. You have a choice of setup and you can use the thumbstrap (set to left hand mode for right handed people and right for left and just use the thumbstrap on the bottom screen like a mouse) I don't know why this mode is catered for in the setup or manual. Those of you that say about you hands cramping: the solution is simple - relax! The online multiplayer is BLISS. Just as fast and frantic as UT used to be, though your probably better off using the stylus because you can turn and control at mouse/keybaord speeds! Expand
  37. KyleS.
    Apr 23, 2006
    This is the best game I have ever played. I bought this game at Wal-Mart and it was the last copy. I have had more fun with this game than with any other game. I play this game with my friends in Texas it is great.
  38. DrewF.
    Apr 13, 2006
    Yes, it's frustrating that the single player game is so easy and so short, but I think the folks complaining about that have to realize that this game was developed for one reason and one reason alone: online. If you don't have access to the online portion, then i really don't think it's worth buying. If you do, however, you'll be able to play the most addictive Yes, it's frustrating that the single player game is so easy and so short, but I think the folks complaining about that have to realize that this game was developed for one reason and one reason alone: online. If you don't have access to the online portion, then i really don't think it's worth buying. If you do, however, you'll be able to play the most addictive online FPS that I've encountered since Halo. Expand
  39. AnonymousMC
    Apr 8, 2006
    I am a Big FanBoy Of Metroid and All of the Nintendo Games.....This Game I did Love to play
    ...But i do Agree To short......Some Weird Bosses.....Didnt Like the Fact that they Were Floating Balls And Big Brown Poles......Nintendo Could have do So much More to this game.....and The controls were Ok for me........Pretty Good for A Handheld and what do u expect Most the Games ive played...after an HOur of playing Them my Hands Hurt.....
  40. KyleM.
    Mar 29, 2006
    Best game on the DS so far. Seriously guys, the control is not THAT bad. In fact I would argue that it's better than the console experience. This genre is not "meant for consoles," unless you like inaccurate controls. This genre is meant for PCs, but the DS is the next best thing.
  41. J.G.
    Mar 28, 2006
    Once I played the demo I had to play hunters. The game is amazing in all ways, adventure mode is good which is very long. The multiplayer is perfect. You still need friend codes but you have your own friend and rivals list. Highly recomended.
  42. EBB
    Mar 23, 2006
    I love the Metroid series, but let's all be honest here...the control on the GameCube is a LOT better than the control on the Nintendo DS! I will admit, the developers did everything they could to make this game the best that they could, but they couldn't help how painful my hands feel after playing this game for an hour. Am I supposed to enjoy the experience of a game, or feel I love the Metroid series, but let's all be honest here...the control on the GameCube is a LOT better than the control on the Nintendo DS! I will admit, the developers did everything they could to make this game the best that they could, but they couldn't help how painful my hands feel after playing this game for an hour. Am I supposed to enjoy the experience of a game, or feel frustrated by its controls? Everything else about this game is top notch--the game of the year so far for the Nintendo DS! Expand
  43. Busternuck
    Mar 22, 2006
    The Absolute Must-have game list for DS seems to be growing ever so steadily lately. Now add Metroid PH. This game is simply superlative in almost every department : control, graphics, atmosphere, action and squeezing the most out of the DS hardware. Fence sitters need not be apprehensive about the controls : it works superbly, very intuitive and is as good as having an analog control. I The Absolute Must-have game list for DS seems to be growing ever so steadily lately. Now add Metroid PH. This game is simply superlative in almost every department : control, graphics, atmosphere, action and squeezing the most out of the DS hardware. Fence sitters need not be apprehensive about the controls : it works superbly, very intuitive and is as good as having an analog control. I prefer using thumbstrap although toggling between visors is a bit of a pain if you have large a large thumb! But this can't take anything away from Nintendo : they blew me away with this one. Expand
  44. Dylan
    Mar 22, 2006
    It's so addicting I should be in rehab!!
  45. Samusfreak
    Mar 22, 2006
    Unbelievable, no one thought a DS game could look like this. Graphics are on par with the PSP, just a bit pixelly when right up against a wall. using the touch screen like a mouse works great, and gives one a play experience that has never existed before. Great sound and music, truely a killer app for the DS.

#2 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#4 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

Approximately as big as Metroid Prime on the GameCube, it's hard to imagine how Nintendo squeezed Hunters into a tiny DS cartridge. Metroid Prime: Hunters is a very polished game, suffering more from small quirks than actual flaws.
  2. The game's controls take a bit of time to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, you'll realize NST has done an extraordinary job in bringing Samus to the Nintendo DS...You'd be hard-pressed to find a better online title for the Nintendo DS.
    Metroid Prime Hunters is easily the best handheld first person shooter developed to date, even with its somewhat high learning curve and cramp-inducing control.