8.5

1. JasonH
    Dec 18, 2008
    So I'm giving it this rating based both on my enjoyment level, and the huge letdown this game turned out for me. I was expecting a game along the lines of super mario world, with tons of secrets, powerups, yoshis, strange and odd worlds, and just a ton of fun. Instead, we got a game with 3D graphics (I thought it was worse, since a lot of the artistic magic seemed to dissapear (and So I'm giving it this rating based both on my enjoyment level, and the huge letdown this game turned out for me. I was expecting a game along the lines of super mario world, with tons of secrets, powerups, yoshis, strange and odd worlds, and just a ton of fun. Instead, we got a game with 3D graphics (I thought it was worse, since a lot of the artistic magic seemed to dissapear (and little mario kind of looks like a bunch of polygons)), NO yoshis, power ups that weren't very diverse (in that 3 alter size, and the rest are mostly for increasing offenseive abilities. However, I think the WORST part of this game, was the lack of intersting worlds (you have forest, you have desert, you have ice, and I really can't remember the others, since they must have been a bore) and the very linear progression mario makes through the map (the only deviations are short, and usually lead back to the same path). Finnally, this game really has no replay value. The only thing you have to look forward to, are playing a couple of levels you most likely missed, and collecting three coins per stage, which is just tedious and irritating. So yeah, it's a boring, it's short, it doesn't take advantage of the DS capabilities (you can click on a power up... whoopdedo...) but isn't anywhere near as fun, or as deep as the original. Like a said, a huge letdown. Expand

Before New Super Mario Bros. entered my life, "Yoshi's Island" was, to me, the greatest platformer ever created. That title may now have to go to New Super Mario Bros.
  2. The kind of game that makes hardcore Nintendo fans get on their knees and weep in sheer joy over the eighty new levels of new 2D Mario action...The visuals come in scorching hot, with gorgeous 3D bringing the old school into a new school setting. Sprinkle in some minigames and multiplayer modes, and you have a system seller.
  3. While it lasts, it’s some of the best platforming to date and features what I consider to be the best Nintendo DS graphics to date. While it’s a shame the new power-ups are frills and the length of the main game is ridiculously short, it’s hard not to recommend it.