9.0

1. Oct 27, 2012
    Pokemon Gold on the Gameboy colour was the first Pokemon game I have played and I also consider it my favourite out of all of them. Getting an upgraded version of the best Pokemon game ever was a godsend. HeartGold captures what made Gold so great and with a 4th Generation upgrade, it was even better than I imagined. Out of all the 5 generations of Pokemon, nothing has ever topped the 2ndPokemon Gold on the Gameboy colour was the first Pokemon game I have played and I also consider it my favourite out of all of them. Getting an upgraded version of the best Pokemon game ever was a godsend. HeartGold captures what made Gold so great and with a 4th Generation upgrade, it was even better than I imagined. Out of all the 5 generations of Pokemon, nothing has ever topped the 2nd Generation in my eyes and this game proves it. This game is just complete. Good story, addicting gameplay, huge amounts of content and endless replay value - all needed for the ultimate Pokemon game Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2010
    It's everything that gamers loved in the past Pokemon games and more. With so many new and returning features, like the pokewalker, the lead Pokemon walking with you, the battle frontier, and the ability to have rematches with gym leaders, there's so much to do! Heck, the next pokemon game is just around the corner and I'm still not done yet! Gold version was my favorite in the series. WhyIt's everything that gamers loved in the past Pokemon games and more. With so many new and returning features, like the pokewalker, the lead Pokemon walking with you, the battle frontier, and the ability to have rematches with gym leaders, there's so much to do! Heck, the next pokemon game is just around the corner and I'm still not done yet! Gold version was my favorite in the series. Why use the word "was"? HeartGold. That's why. This game is a perfect buy for fans of, even newcomers to, the game series. Expand
  3. May 18, 2011
    Though it won't win the series as many Pokefans as the originals did in the '90s, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are handy additions to the franchise. Pros: Variety of Pokemon to catch and places to explore; wireless battling and trading; Pokewalker. Cons: Formulaic; some of the rewritten gameplay or dialogue is ridiculous.
  4. Aug 12, 2011
    This is one of the games with the greatest replay value I've ever played. I'm among the ones that think pokemon did get weird with time and they should have stopped creating weird stuff. In heartgold, however, we deal mostly with old pokemon as well as new ones, and you can revisit the beautifully recreated Kanto region and there are many many side quests that are almost as fun as the mainThis is one of the games with the greatest replay value I've ever played. I'm among the ones that think pokemon did get weird with time and they should have stopped creating weird stuff. In heartgold, however, we deal mostly with old pokemon as well as new ones, and you can revisit the beautifully recreated Kanto region and there are many many side quests that are almost as fun as the main game itself! I never played pokemon Gold or any other besides Red and I was surprised! Collapse
  5. KurtC
    Mar 16, 2010
    I must admit...Pokémon has changed ALOT since the epic GBC version, I have found some of the features of this game to be quite emmense in gaming terms, I mean, it has 3D buildings, the battlescenes are becoming much more realistic, like in the TV Show, plus it has a unique feature which was included in Yellow, which is that you can choose which Pokémon you can leave out and I must admit...Pokémon has changed ALOT since the epic GBC version, I have found some of the features of this game to be quite emmense in gaming terms, I mean, it has 3D buildings, the battlescenes are becoming much more realistic, like in the TV Show, plus it has a unique feature which was included in Yellow, which is that you can choose which Pokémon you can leave out and 'walk' with you. I personally love this game, and cannot wait to kick some butt in the Pokémon league...when I get there ofcourse. Expand
  6. Moe
    Mar 17, 2010
    Amazing game for all gamers who played Gold/Silver on the GBC. Brings back so many memories. The perfect remake. One problem. It's not the game, though. It's all the hackers. They're ruining it all.
  7. GatchafanE
    Mar 23, 2010
    I love this game! This is a highly enhanced remake of the best Pokemon game of all time! This game has many extra features that make this a must-have for any old-school Pokemon fan. This game brings back the magic of being a Pokemon trainer unlike the previous titles. Don't get me wrong, Diamond/Pearl are great games but this game defines what Pokemon is all about. I'm 19 and in I love this game! This is a highly enhanced remake of the best Pokemon game of all time! This game has many extra features that make this a must-have for any old-school Pokemon fan. This game brings back the magic of being a Pokemon trainer unlike the previous titles. Don't get me wrong, Diamond/Pearl are great games but this game defines what Pokemon is all about. I'm 19 and in that age range that left Pokemon behind in favor of more mature games. This game will make any use-to-be Pokemon fan excited to play Pokemon again! I guarantee it! Expand
  8. HanL
    Mar 16, 2010
    The second generation of Pokemon was my personal favorite and this is a great way to relive those days. It is made even better with the many new features added and the pokewalker is a surprisingly useful and enjoyable accessory.
  9. Sep 25, 2010
    Very well polished, it has every single feature of the game you can think of since Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow, and yes, that includes having your lead Pokemon out following you. No longer are we restricted to about 7 Pokemon in a park. The battle scenes are the same, mechanics the same, so veterans and novices alike can jump right in.

It epitomizes what Pokemon games are about. Only

It epitomizes what Pokemon games are about. Only falls short of perfection due to the slightly more restrictive method of rechallenging trainers.
  10. Oct 17, 2010
    I played Gold and Silver before, and I can say that this is a big improvement and it has nostalgic values to it. The new system re-strategizes the game, making it an even better and harder than the older one.
  11. Dec 15, 2010
    Pokemon HeartGold is a video game that gives you a lot of things to do and collect.The graphics are not superb, but they are colorful!The tunes are just the best in the Pokemon series!he gameplay gives you 16 gym leaders instead of 8!Because you travel to Kanto, too.At the top of the Mt.Silver you fight Red, the strongest trainer and the hero in the 1st generation games and 3rd generationPokemon HeartGold is a video game that gives you a lot of things to do and collect.The graphics are not superb, but they are colorful!The tunes are just the best in the Pokemon series!he gameplay gives you 16 gym leaders instead of 8!Because you travel to Kanto, too.At the top of the Mt.Silver you fight Red, the strongest trainer and the hero in the 1st generation games and 3rd generation remakes!Pokemons from Hoenn and Sinnoh are obtainable after you beat the Elite Four.Well this game is not perfect, but great it is! Expand
  12. Apr 27, 2012
    I played Pokémon White before I played HeartGold. Where Pokémon White wasn't very challenging, Pokémon HeartGold did. This is easily my favourite Pokémon game. And I didn't even get the Pokéwalker!
  13. May 18, 2011
    Though Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver won't win the series as many Pokèfans as the originals did, they're handy installments to the franchise that still retain the same addictive gameplay. Pros: Polished visuals; variety of Pokemon to catch and places to explore; wireless battling and trading; Pokewalker. Cons: Formulaic; some of the rewritten material is ridiculous.
  14. Oct 15, 2011
    this is the best pokemon game at the time of writing, even though black and white are out.
    this was my first pokemon game so maybe im bein biased, but it just seems so supereor to even the likes of ruby, sapphire, yellow, crystal and especially diamond and pearl.
    oh, and theres essentially 2 pokemon games in 1, because as you complete art 1 in jhoto, you adventure into red and blues land, kanto, for another 8 badges. the pokewalker is a great addition to the game.

97% and i know that 97% round to 10 out of 10, but... i didnt want to put the main score above dq9 cause they are both the same in terms of awesomeness.
  15. Nov 8, 2011
    The amazing success of the main series Pokemon games continue. This remake of the original Pokemon Gold is overwhelmingly incredible! You have two regions to explore and 16 badges to collect, but the real challenge is at the top of Mt. Silver.
  16. Jan 26, 2012
    there's a lot of fun stuff to do in this long game like finding pokemon and battling and a lot more to do. you get a cool poke walker with the game.
  17. Jan 24, 2015
    In terms of innovation and originality for its time it doesn't beat the originals for the GBC, but this is technically the best version of the best Pokemon game ever. Pokemon G/S/C are widely considered the best Pokemon games for their time and their addictive gameplay still shines through with HG/SS. I'm not sure which game would be enjoyed the most if you'd give HeartGold to someone thatIn terms of innovation and originality for its time it doesn't beat the originals for the GBC, but this is technically the best version of the best Pokemon game ever. Pokemon G/S/C are widely considered the best Pokemon games for their time and their addictive gameplay still shines through with HG/SS. I'm not sure which game would be enjoyed the most if you'd give HeartGold to someone that has never played a video game and the original Gold to someone that has never played a video game. But for today's standards HeartGold wins and with that said I consider HeartGold one of the best RPGs I've ever played. A lot of fun and addictive. The story and quality drops a bit after the pokemon league, but the fact that they added Kanto still amazes me today. 9.1/10 Expand
  18. Nov 25, 2012
    They took their best classic title and made it even better, bringing it to date with the 4th generation of Pokémon, putting new stuff into it and without letting down the old school fans in the process. It's just amazing, really. Several bonus points for the very, very good and comfortable interface and the minor yet amazing feature of your first Pokémon on the team followingThey took their best classic title and made it even better, bringing it to date with the 4th generation of Pokémon, putting new stuff into it and without letting down the old school fans in the process. It's just amazing, really. Several bonus points for the very, very good and comfortable interface and the minor yet amazing feature of your first Pokémon on the team following your character sprite. Their best work so far. Expand
  19. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Opening a wide row of doors, Pokémon HeartGold Version and Pokémon SoulSilver are the culmination of generations past. In these two games, history is repeating itself, as you are transported back to Johto, and reminded of the terrible havoc unleashed ten years ago... the same havoc that you created. The same havoc that you need to vanquish. Players of all ages will be delighted with the new and improved graphics and sound once before heard. One returning feature from Pokémon Yellow is that the lead Pokémon can now walk beside, in front, and behind you, and since this is a remake of a second generation game, the sprites of the Pokémon that you encounter, along with the players' and items', will be upgraded dramatically. Overhead views, as well as the battle sequence, stay unaltered.
    HeartGold also includes the Pokéwalker, a pedometer that acts as a Pokéball, as it transforms the steps taken into experience points, watts (to buy routes), and to establish a friendly relationship with your Pokémon. It is a reincarnation of Amity Square in Sinnoh. Also, a key item that players obtain after winning sixteen gym badges and/or completing the game is imperative for veterans to obtain, although used at will. The "GB Sounds" promises a soundtrack nostalgic of the past and combines it with modern day music, allowing players to recreate and continue their adventure from so long ago. The soundtrack from this particular, radio-shaped item replaces the in-game music (battle and background) with 8-bit tracks from the original Gold and Silver entirely, making for a trip down memory lane that is completely and continually worthwhile.

Those features are just a few of several. It doesn't matter if you are young or old, boy or girl, novice or veteran, to appreciate what Game Freak and Nintendo have done for us Pokémon fans, by turning back time and developing/producing a new fabric out of old material. It just goes to show that if it looked good on the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance, it'll look great on the Nintendo DS. This game is a must for players who have retained either their memories from the past, or the cartridge itself. In addition, players of the original Silver should indulge in HeartGold. The same is agreed for Gold players to purchase SoulSilver. This way, every player will have the chance to capture and battle with Pokémon different than that whom they had gotten before.
  20. Apr 25, 2013
    Tonnes of content within this game, adds new areas to explore not featured in the original. The nice addition of having your Pokemon follow you around really helps to immerse yourself in this game and so many other things that the player should discover for themselves. If you played the original Gold/Silver you like this game and its additional features not in the original. If you've neverTonnes of content within this game, adds new areas to explore not featured in the original. The nice addition of having your Pokemon follow you around really helps to immerse yourself in this game and so many other things that the player should discover for themselves. If you played the original Gold/Silver you like this game and its additional features not in the original. If you've never played a Pokemon game before, pick this game up as a starting point if you can, and if you like Pokemon then this is a must have game. The sheer amount of content in this game makes it my favourite Pokemon experience. Expand
  21. Jun 20, 2013
    What do you get when you remake one of the best Pokemon installments ever? You get Heartgold. Heartgold puts Gold to shame. It's abundance of new pokemon, great graphics, and plus, your pokemon freaking follows you around! Not only this, but it stays true to Gold's plot and design and even adds some new side missions of it's own! Heartgold also does a great job of involving some elementsWhat do you get when you remake one of the best Pokemon installments ever? You get Heartgold. Heartgold puts Gold to shame. It's abundance of new pokemon, great graphics, and plus, your pokemon freaking follows you around! Not only this, but it stays true to Gold's plot and design and even adds some new side missions of it's own! Heartgold also does a great job of involving some elements from Pokemon Crystal as well!
    Buy this game! Pirate this game! Emulate this game! Do whatever you can to get this game!
  22. Aug 5, 2013
    I am a 90's kid and always will be. Pokemon was the first rpg that I really got into so it makes since that I would love everything they have ever made. Well I do like most of the games my favorite Pokemon title, I love Pokemon Gold. Its my favorite game of all time and I have played it hundreds of times, so when I heard that there was going to be a remake I was really happy and eager. II am a 90's kid and always will be. Pokemon was the first rpg that I really got into so it makes since that I would love everything they have ever made. Well I do like most of the games my favorite Pokemon title, I love Pokemon Gold. Its my favorite game of all time and I have played it hundreds of times, so when I heard that there was going to be a remake I was really happy and eager. I even started playing the old version before the game released so I knew that whole game front to back. The game was released and I was the first person in line to buy it at my gamestop. I played that game for a week straight and when I say I played it straight I mean I only played that game nothing else. I loved the remake! Forever and always it will be my favorite remake of a Pokemon game and as of right now its my favorite remake of all time. The Graphics were amazing, the songs made me feel so nostalgic. The story was and always will be the best part of this game, it is a really great story and no one will ever till me other wise. I have my problems with this game, I didn't like the new generations of Pokemon. Generation two is bad because of how the Pokemon look terrible. I know that I could never make a Pokemon sprite and I never will even try to but I also know that most of my friends hate gen two and feel that they are kinda lazy. Besides how the Pokemon, the game is flawless. I wanted a Pokemon yellow remake and trust me if I had the funds and the skills to make said game I would. But the fact that gamefreak choice what was suppose to be one of the two last Pokemon game to be a remake, is nuts to me because there are a lot of fans of ruby, sapphire, and emerald. I am the only person that would live in Johto and deal with team rocket taking over my favorite radio channel, having three giant dogs run a muck in my neighborhood, and have criminals who are border line terrorist take over what is the biggest city in the country just because I want to walk down those routes. Its not just a game to me its what addicted me to rpg's and rpg's addicted me to video games. I am who I am because of this game. I recommend this game and will never go back on what I said on this review. Expand
  23. Aug 4, 2013
    This or its counterpart "Pokemon SoulSilver Version" is a MUST HAVE to the Nintendo DS library, period.

It has everything from all the Pokemon games, then improved.

Maybe the best entries in the series.

Amazing lasting appeal.

10 out of 10.
  24. Sep 19, 2013
    The original Pokemon Gold was my favorite Pokemon game. When I saw this, I got very excited for an updated version of my favorite Pokemon game. It did not disappoint. What made Heart Gold, along with Gold, great for me, was not only a brand new map and Pokemon, but adding the original area in the game as well. This, of course, has that too, but now adding generation 3 Pokemon as well.The original Pokemon Gold was my favorite Pokemon game. When I saw this, I got very excited for an updated version of my favorite Pokemon game. It did not disappoint. What made Heart Gold, along with Gold, great for me, was not only a brand new map and Pokemon, but adding the original area in the game as well. This, of course, has that too, but now adding generation 3 Pokemon as well. Not only did they add that, they restructured what you had to do to advance the story as well. They added and subtracted things based on generation 4 games. This was a great game back in the day, now that it is re-mastered with more Pokemon, and changed story advances (for the better) make this a great pickup. Expand
  25. Oct 31, 2013
    Melhor jogo de pokémon ja feito. se passa nos melhores continentes, e tem os melhores pokémons, gráfico bom e muito legal a ideia de 1 pokémon ficar te seguindo.

------

Best Pokemon game already done. goes the best continents, and has the best Pokémon, good graphics and very cool idea to get one Pokemon following you.
  26. PMG
    Aug 9, 2014
    40$ and i have played this game for 700 hours! 2 regions, having pokemon walk behind you, the new mechanics gen 3 and 4 introduced, fantastic soundtrack, 14 legendary's without events, the ability to catch the mascot that wasn't on your cover, a gigantic postgame and the inclusian of gen 3 and 4 pokemon, more to the point the gen 3 main legends all help to make this my favorite pokemon and40$ and i have played this game for 700 hours! 2 regions, having pokemon walk behind you, the new mechanics gen 3 and 4 introduced, fantastic soundtrack, 14 legendary's without events, the ability to catch the mascot that wasn't on your cover, a gigantic postgame and the inclusian of gen 3 and 4 pokemon, more to the point the gen 3 main legends all help to make this my favorite pokemon and DS game to date. While the story lack the depth of R/S/E/B/W/B2/W2 it still is a merorable journey. Plus STEVEN! Nuff said. Expand
  27. Jul 10, 2014
    I was a fan of pokemon since the 3th generation and i must admit that no matter how old i get, i like the franchise. So when a remake was announced i was excited. When the game came out, it was pretty good, i do not have much to say about it. You see i usually talk to much about a bad game so the only answer you're going to get is: This game is worth a buy.
  28. Aug 15, 2014
    I simply love this game! It has a great charm that no other game in the series has. There are its minor flaws, such as very few Trainer rematches, a lot of low leveled stuff, frustrating legendaries and in my opinion not enough new Pokemon. But this game redelivers what Gold and Silver originally did to make it even better! Team Rocket, while kind of a joke made the story great. The musicI simply love this game! It has a great charm that no other game in the series has. There are its minor flaws, such as very few Trainer rematches, a lot of low leveled stuff, frustrating legendaries and in my opinion not enough new Pokemon. But this game redelivers what Gold and Silver originally did to make it even better! Team Rocket, while kind of a joke made the story great. The music is some of the greatest in the franchise and I just have great fun with the game. If they just fixed the problems I listed above, it could be the greatest Pokemon game ever! Expand
  29. Nov 27, 2014
    10/10 would recommend to anyone starting their journey into the Pokemon world. It contains 2 different regions, a great storyline, and. It's everything amazing about Pokemon gold, and made 1,000x better. YOU CAN WALK WITH YOUR POKEMON!!!!!!!!
  30. Aug 12, 2011

1. It may not be too revolutionary but this is by far the biggest, most packed Pokemon yet. [Mar 2010, p.67]
  2. It's still the Pokemon you know and love - and handheld entertainment of the highest order. [Apr 2010, p.78]
  3. The Pokemon formula stays unchanged, but Gold and Silver remain our favourites. Essential for Johto newcomers and veterans. [Mar 2010, p.94]