Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky DS

8.7

1. Dec 6, 2015
    First mystery dungeon title I play, I quit after around 4hours. Plot is mentioned as a strong point of this game, and I could feel that it was actually going somewhere (which is something not usually expected in a pokemon title) but the game mechanics were just a huge turn off.
    Terrible grinding, combat is uninteresting and flat, moving through randomly created dungeons is boring as hell (dont do the random generated thing again. Wasnt .hack enough as a lesson??). Just go trough dungeons, enemies will swarm you, use same moves again and again, rinse and repeat. The dashing is horrible (while does your character stop all the time you entered a new area?) and the controls are painful (kept coming up the wrong menu out because how buttons are layed).
    Art direction is ok, music is actually GREAT, graphics are passable.
    If this is supposed to be the best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon title, dont bother playing the series. Stick to the original games(which are awesome).
  2. Mar 26, 2017
    As a die-hard Pokémon fan, I really wanted to love this game. I heard tons of good stuff about it and had never played a PMD game before. But it turned out to just be randomized busywork and LOTS of dialogue. I played for 5 hours waiting for it to get fun.

It never got fun.

1. I just can't recommend Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky to anyone that has played the previous games in the series. It looks like a GBA game, and is chock full of lazy and somewhat dated gameplay.
  2. While Explorers of Sky would be a decent game if it were judged in a vacuum, when viewed alongside Explorers of Time / Darkness, there simply isn't enough unique, quality content to make it relevant. This is perhaps one of the worst values in gaming I've ever seen.
  3. The story isn't interesting enough to keep you involved, and the gameplay doesn't elevate past mashing attacks for combat. All together, it's a disappointing title, and not one that I suggest checking out.