Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky DS

8.7

1. Dec 8, 2013
  2. Jan 9, 2011
    You can't dislike this game, but it is pretty much the same as Explorers of Darkness and Time, with the welcome added addition of an added surprise now and then. The stroy line thickens, wnd whilst the actual exploring dosen't create that much of a thrill, it's worth buying.
  3. Mar 23, 2014
    This game is a beautiful game, pokemon or not. The soundtrack is amazing and touching, the storyline is deep and great. The game-play can be challenging at times, but with the right tactics you should progress through the story just fine. This game is a definite 10 of 10 for me and i must recommend buying it.
  4. ChrisS
    Oct 14, 2009
    Roguelike RPGs tend to polarize reviewers. On one hand, they can be excessively difficult and repititious. On the other they can be challenging and addictive. It depends entirely on the person playing the game. Explorers of Sky is a poor Pokemon game, that is true, but it is an intriguing and fun Mystery Dungeon game, and as a Mystery Dungeon fan but not a Pokemon fan, I find that I Roguelike RPGs tend to polarize reviewers. On one hand, they can be excessively difficult and repititious. On the other they can be challenging and addictive. It depends entirely on the person playing the game. Explorers of Sky is a poor Pokemon game, that is true, but it is an intriguing and fun Mystery Dungeon game, and as a Mystery Dungeon fan but not a Pokemon fan, I find that I really enjoy this game. In particular, the death penalties are not so sharp as to make the game a chore to push through, making this game closer to Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo's Dungeon than to Shiren the Wanderer. Your enjoyment of this game is going to be based entirely on your personal preferences, and I hope that there are others out there like me who agree. For me, this game is a solid 8. Expand
  5. JohnSmith
    Nov 19, 2009
    The Mystery Dungeon series has never done well in America, but this Pokemon title is truly fun to play.
  6. Jan 20, 2012
    Pokemon Myster Dungeon Explorers of Sky is a good game,but they didn`t use the potential of DS System,and its like a GBA Game instead,and everything about this game was repetitive.But the story makes the game great,i enjoy over and over till i realize i like the game it should be.Recommended for all of those who like Pokemon games,try it out and you will see that this game was fun.
  7. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For the Pokemon fans who don't like the RPGs this is definitely the game for them. Its emotional and its just... fun. Its not the best game ever but if I could I would make this game be the number 2 or 3 game ever. Although it gets annoying and frustrating after playing one dungeon then dieing its fun fighting those big bosses like primal dialga or darkrai because it sends a burst of adrenalin through your blood. And to top it off it has epic boss music and a totally great soundtrack. Its also fun recruiting people and evolving them once you unlock luminous springs. So I just recommend this to anyone. Expand
  8. May 6, 2014
    Well, first of all, I'm guessing that the bad reviews, must be because its an improved version of PMD:Explorers of Time and Darkness. Because, even though many things don't change, it really adds some really neat improvement to those two games.

With that said, I'm not rating this game based on its value, or based on whether you bought Time and Darkness before, because I haven't. With

With that out of the way, I must say that, this game is fantastic ! But I have to address a few points first.

First of all, its a slow paced game, like many proper RPGs, and if you don't give it a chance or are not patient enough, you'll never get to really experience this game. I'll admit, the first time I played it, I got through the first 2 dungeon and put the game back in its box for a few weeks. But then, after stumbling on comments about how great the story in this game was, it revived my interest. And I'm so grateful it did !

Then, the controls are slightly odd, and not very intuitive at first, so there is a rather steep learning curve at first. It took me a while to figure out you could use moves instead of the weak last resort "A" button attack. And it took me even more time to figure out you could bind a move.. And the worst part is that the controls were written all along on the other screen by default.. But once you got it figured out, it works pretty well !

Alright, so what does this game has to offer ?

Plot:
    The plot, is probably my favorite thing about this game ! Its the same as in Time and Darkness though, but I didn't play those. To some it might appear at first to be one of those games made for very young kids mainly with cheerful themes and with a bland and simple plot , but there is so much more than that !

The first few chapters are simply to setup for what will happen later. Its meant to create a sense of security and make you develop your "relationship" with the cast. In other word, make you care about this little universe, the wigglytuff guild, the other exploration teams(shootout to team poochy even though they didn't ever do much ! :3 ), your main character, and more importantly your sidekick.

Your sidekick is probably the most complex character in this game. And by the end of the game he's / she's going to be the most developed character. At first, he/she can't stand on its own, is fearful of everything, has no real passions in his/her life. But slowly it changes throughout the story.
    And its made in such a way that, you can't help but to approve of his/her improvements. Not to mention that, the main character acts like a "big brother" / "big sister" and support the sidekick throughout his/her ordeals to get him/her to improve subtly each times.
    The sidekick eventually gets more and more grateful, which is quite touching at times.

But once you think you've seen everything, things begin to go from bad to worst, and something magical happens.
    You realize that, you now care about those characters and don't want to see harm come their way. And that's something very few games, movies, and books ever pull off !

And the ending is truly well executed. Its rare nowadays that I can say a game's ending left me mostly satisfied. But, while PMD:EoS doesn't innovate or is massively original in its ending, the delivery is truly nearly flawless ! And that's all I really care about in a story's ending really !
    Its guaranteed to at the very least leave you with a lump in your throat, and at worst have you bawling like a little kid..
    I know, because I ended up with the later option... Truly, I don't think I've been that sad about a video game since Mass Effect 3's and Metal Gear Solid 4's endings.. And honestly, Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't that great...

Soundtrack:
    The music outside of Treasure Town is truly wonderful, powerful, varied, and full of surprises ! It can go from the cheery happy music from Treasure town, to the epic of Craggy Coast, to the adrenaline filled boss battles, to the doomsday eerie music of the late game segments !

Gameplay:
    I'm running out of space for writing so lets keep this short. The gameplay is satisfactory ! At first you got a limited access to all the possible things you can do, but later on several new things are unlocked and they add depth to the gameplay. Monster houses are one of my favorite things ! I know I'm being a little sadomasochist here, but you can't help but feel kinda badass / proud to clean a entire room filed with tough hostile pokemon, using only your prized pokemon protege, and working out a decent strategy !

A few good tips about this game:
    - You can't ever be too over leveled ! Sure common enemies go down easily in one shot if you're lvl 50, but the later part of the game just don't give a crap about your level, and you'll end up in the red fairly often !
    - Then, always bring an escape orb ! Always !
    - Bring gummies to spinda to get the most out of them! And give them to your main character and sidekick mainly, until the post-story !
  9. Aug 1, 2014
    I joined this site to say that this is the most engaging game I've ever played. I am not a huge gamer (I'm in my late 20's) but I enjoy RPG types. Despite enjoying them I almost never have completed a game, they get really hard or they just get too repetitive. This one was not. The story was compelling and emotional. I have never been invested in characters in a game before this one, andI joined this site to say that this is the most engaging game I've ever played. I am not a huge gamer (I'm in my late 20's) but I enjoy RPG types. Despite enjoying them I almost never have completed a game, they get really hard or they just get too repetitive. This one was not. The story was compelling and emotional. I have never been invested in characters in a game before this one, and at one point I possibly teared up (and no, I am not the type to cry watching movies).

I haven't played its predecessors, but I think of this like main Pokemon games that are designed to be released in a set of three; they all have a lot in common. I do not see why that should give this one such a low rating -- I do not see Pokemon Gold or Silver getting a low rating just because the other is almost identical in every way. If you're hesitating on the game because of that, then don't! I'd say this is like the Pokemon Crystal to Gold and Silver. AKA: The one I wait to buy instead of the other two!
  10. Nov 2, 2014
    this game is nearly perfect sure its an upgrade but people allow many franchises to do this and say there sepiorer the story is great its the MOST UNDERRATED GAME IN MODERN HISTORY BISIDES HALO WARS
  11. JamesqM
    Oct 24, 2009
    I love these games. I love going through dungeons and having pokemon actually as characters instead of weapons. The story is lighthearted and fun. The special episodes are also a lot of fun to play through and get backstory on some of the characters. Good times.
  12. ShinY
    Oct 16, 2009
    I agree with Chris S. I am a Pokemon fan and a Mystery dungeon fan as well, I already expected Explorers of the Sky to be a slightly fancied version of Explorers of time or darkness. The revivwers seem to compare Sky towards Explorers of Time and Darkness. Sure the Special episodes may be a bit unoriginal, but they made some real changes to the gae such as you can save on the crossroads I agree with Chris S. I am a Pokemon fan and a Mystery dungeon fan as well, I already expected Explorers of the Sky to be a slightly fancied version of Explorers of time or darkness. The revivwers seem to compare Sky towards Explorers of Time and Darkness. Sure the Special episodes may be a bit unoriginal, but they made some real changes to the gae such as you can save on the crossroads in the town, or maybe a easier way to smarten up your teammates. Overall I agree with Chris S and I will also give it a even 8 out of 10. This game got some laughs out of me since I like goofy sort of humor. Expand
  13. AlisonZ
    Nov 9, 2009
    Well, for all you Pokemon fans out there, I seriously want you to buy the game. It has cool feature like unlockable episodes and a new juice bar, many new Pokemon and hours (and days, weeks, and months) of fun. Hardcore gamer or not, you should try, and just because a bunch of fat, lazy critics that have nothing better to do than give poor scores for great games and sit on their rump all Well, for all you Pokemon fans out there, I seriously want you to buy the game. It has cool feature like unlockable episodes and a new juice bar, many new Pokemon and hours (and days, weeks, and months) of fun. Hardcore gamer or not, you should try, and just because a bunch of fat, lazy critics that have nothing better to do than give poor scores for great games and sit on their rump all day munching burritos will not make me or most people listen to them. Many kids from ages six to sixteen will enjoy another Pokemon game because they are Nintendos loyal customers. Expand
  14. Jan 1, 2012
    I came into this game as my introduction to the Mystery Dungeon games so I did not know what to expect.
    The game combines elements of Pokemon into the old school concepts of Mystery dungeon quite well and makes for a truly amazing experience. The amount of freedom you get with tackling missions, especially later in the game is absolutely amazing. The randomly generated missions and dungeons give this game near infinite relay value and difficulty can range from simplicity to near impossible to appeal to all skill levels of players beautifully. Wifi rescue missions, mission passwords and unlockable side-scenarios add even further replayablility to the game. The music and graphics can differ from beautiful to bland in different areas of the game. If you are a fan of Pokemon and/or Mystery Dungeon games or just strategy RPG games in general try it out, if these things don't appeal to you. it might be best to avoid this one.
  15. Feb 25, 2016
    Ironically, this has the lowest aggregate score out of all of the pokemon mystery dungeon games.

Well they're wrong because this game is aggreGREAT. I remember playing Explorers of Darkness, when that one first came out, and I definitely loved it, improving on everything that Red Rescue team had. And, it had everything I could ever want in a game of this type, variety, personality,

Well they're wrong because this game is aggreGREAT.

I remember playing Explorers of Darkness, when that one first came out, and I definitely loved it, improving on everything that Red Rescue team had. And, it had everything I could ever want in a game of this type, variety, personality, fun game play, and even a good story (which, in a pokemon game alone is already an amazing feat.)!

But, something was missing. Something to give it that one final push, and fully secure it as something I'd love forever.

Then, along came Explorers of Sky, which added the last bits to the game that I needed. Adding new dungeons to the post-story mode, making use of even more of the cool pokemon from Gen 4 that we were all still riding the hype train over (for the most part), adding little extra things around the place to spruce up the game even more, and what was possibly my favorite part: The side stories. Yeah, some of them were weak, but what they added was character development. Even if it was small, or insignificant on some of them, it was still necessary character development. You understood the character a little more after playing through their back stories. And then it closes out with a bigger side story that actually takes place during important parts of the game, from different POVs, which by itself was a relatively large amount of content for just being some additional 'junk' to justify an extra edition.

Understand, however, that this review is not based off pokemon nostalgia, or anything like that. I don't really feel nostalgia for... well, any franchise anymore, because they've either become unlikable over the years, or they just aren't for me any more. No, the game was honestly that fun for me, as much as it was back then, and still is fun for me today, with all of the expansive things you can do in this game, how much there is to see, how much there is to explore. There's no nonsense about it either. You want to go explore somewhere, you can do it whenever you want (provided you met the unlock conditions). There are few times when you are locked into the story mode of the game, and even then, you have as long as you like to be able to prepare for these points in the game; it doesn't force you to proceed in the game. This is a good thing. Sometimes, I mysteriously like to take my time with games I like. Yeah, if the game sucked, I'd like it to be over faster, but that's not the case with this game.

It doesn't matter if the graphics in this game are old now, or you might find the story cheesy at first, or you just don't like pokemon anymore for whatever reason. You'd want to buy this because it is a great game.

Also those modern ones with Gates and Super don't have ANYTHING on this one.
  16. Dec 6, 2014
    Simple, entertaining, and cute. The game is targeted toward younger kids (so the humor won't be that interesting for older players) but it's still a nice experience for casual play. If you already own/have played another Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game though, there will be almost nothing different. Choose only 1 PMD title and stick with it.
  17. Jul 21, 2015
    While the gameplay may not be the game's strongest point, it makes up for it with an incredible storyline as well as its 141-song soundtrack. It's easy to give this game a bad review if you only play for 30 minutes, but if you play long enough to experience the entirety of what the game has to offer, you will not be disappointed.
  18. CWL
    Jan 1, 2016
    Great story, awesome OST, great ending but has a slow start (duh) and can become a bit repetitive, this is still one of the best MD games in the series, along with EoD, EoT, and SMD. Also some changes were not all the exciting, but some were kinda cool (Special Episodes were alright) and the ability to save at crossroads is a blessing.
  19. Apr 15, 2016
    I have no idea what the reviewers were thinking when this game was released, the game is one of the best Pokemon games if not one of the best games of all time. This game has an emotional story that will enthrall players of all ages, you really do become the character you are playing and become focused on finding out what has happened to you. The music in this game is outstanding, theI have no idea what the reviewers were thinking when this game was released, the game is one of the best Pokemon games if not one of the best games of all time. This game has an emotional story that will enthrall players of all ages, you really do become the character you are playing and become focused on finding out what has happened to you. The music in this game is outstanding, the composers of this game truly did create some fantastic pieces that completely complement what is occurring in the story or the type of place you are in, simply put this game has some of the best music in gaming history. The gameplay in this game is a rather large departure from the main series pokemon games, however the gameplay is still just as fun and consists of really fun roguelike gameplay. If you even slightly have an interest in Pokemon or and type of RPG I would recommend picking up this game and enjoying every second this is truly one of the best hidden gem games out there Expand
  20. Apr 8, 2016
    Don't listen to the "Critics" I'll bet 5000$ they never even beat the whole game, also pay the 20$ for this game, it's completely worth it. Beating the game for me took 91 Hours and I'm not even close to completely finishing it.
  21. Apr 18, 2016
    Fantastic story (so touching, and it's practically theatrical), excellent soundtrack (bopping my head to it almost the entire game), the game is certainly not too easy, so it gives veterans like me a challenge, and I love the new part of the story added post game. I don't understand the negativity in some reviews. They even put in a Jukebox feature, so you can listen to some of the greatFantastic story (so touching, and it's practically theatrical), excellent soundtrack (bopping my head to it almost the entire game), the game is certainly not too easy, so it gives veterans like me a challenge, and I love the new part of the story added post game. I don't understand the negativity in some reviews. They even put in a Jukebox feature, so you can listen to some of the great soundtrack whenever you feel like it! This is very much of a step up from Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness (which are still good games). This game is worth a play, and even once you beat the overall game, the fun doesn't even stop there, because there are so many dungeons, and the replay value is brilliant, too. Give this game a play, and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  22. Aug 6, 2016
    This game is the most under-rated game in history. The plot is the best of any in the Pokemon franchise and has a decent game play time. The music fits perfectly with each scene and level and you can tell effort has been put into it, each stage having it's own music. The downside is little was changed from explorers of Time and darkness and is still the same game. However, it is definitelyThis game is the most under-rated game in history. The plot is the best of any in the Pokemon franchise and has a decent game play time. The music fits perfectly with each scene and level and you can tell effort has been put into it, each stage having it's own music. The downside is little was changed from explorers of Time and darkness and is still the same game. However, it is definitely the one to get out of the three if you are new to the series and don't own any of the others. Expand
  23. Dec 22, 2016
    This game cannot be rated by simply playing it a few hours. The story is so deep, so complex, so emotional and takes so long to develop properly, without saying all that wonderful music you miss. I feel like those critics did exactly that, they reviewed the game out of two hours of dungeon mechanics and didn't witness the great story unfolding. Or some were bitter off that game and simplyThis game cannot be rated by simply playing it a few hours. The story is so deep, so complex, so emotional and takes so long to develop properly, without saying all that wonderful music you miss. I feel like those critics did exactly that, they reviewed the game out of two hours of dungeon mechanics and didn't witness the great story unfolding. Or some were bitter off that game and simply did not bother, offering a petty 40. The critics reviews are pretty upsetting, as this is the most underrated game in modern history. This game stands as my second favorite game of all time. I'd recommend it to anyone. Expand
  24. Jan 24, 2017
    Despite the negative reviews you will see from "video game critics", not only is this game the most under rated game of all time, but it is also the best game of all time. Do yourself a favour and play this game. The story, the music, the characters and the game play are flawless.
  25. Jan 27, 2014
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of sky is one of my favorite Pokemon games, as well as the game that got me into the Mystery dungeon series. A definite must for anyone who enjoys Pokemon games. Mind you, no game is without flaws, and this game is no exception, the only two flaws i can see are the game becoming somewhat dull after the post story and the fact that some battles andPokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of sky is one of my favorite Pokemon games, as well as the game that got me into the Mystery dungeon series. A definite must for anyone who enjoys Pokemon games. Mind you, no game is without flaws, and this game is no exception, the only two flaws i can see are the game becoming somewhat dull after the post story and the fact that some battles and dungeons can be almost unbearably difficult at times to those who are unprepared. other than that, PMD: Explorers of sky is a near-flawless game, if you like Pokemon, you will enjoy this game! Expand
  26. Sep 18, 2014
    How this game got a score of 54 by critics, is beyond me. This game is in my opinion actually very good. The story is the best of any Pokemon game ever, and the gameplay is fun, even if the graphics really aren't that great.
  27. Feb 10, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ¡Es una Joya!
    ¡es Devon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  28. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very good game, liked it a lot, graphics were decent, story was awesome and it had a decent replay ability, because every time you start with a different pokemon Expand
  29. May 12, 2013
    Everybody says Pokemon is a bitterly average series nowadays, but this title is a far cry from the main series, and I can recommend it to anybody, even those who hate the main series line of games. People moan about the appearance of the game, but in this case, the graphics don't really eat away at the experience, in fact the art style accompanies the gameplay, story, music, and overallEverybody says Pokemon is a bitterly average series nowadays, but this title is a far cry from the main series, and I can recommend it to anybody, even those who hate the main series line of games. People moan about the appearance of the game, but in this case, the graphics don't really eat away at the experience, in fact the art style accompanies the gameplay, story, music, and overall feel of the game. It utilizes the capabilities of the DS much better than the main games and it definitely stands far above most, if not all DS games I've played. It's a 10 overall, and I don't care how much controversy this stirs up, the decision was mine here. Expand
  30. Jul 1, 2013
    What kind of child didn't want to be right next to their favorite video game character? Here, Game Freak gives you a chance to. You start off answering some questions, by the way I got Eevee, to determine what pokémon you are. If you answered truthfully, you might find the game describing who you were. Then, you were thrown into the game. You are started with some startling text. It is aWhat kind of child didn't want to be right next to their favorite video game character? Here, Game Freak gives you a chance to. You start off answering some questions, by the way I got Eevee, to determine what pokémon you are. If you answered truthfully, you might find the game describing who you were. Then, you were thrown into the game. You are started with some startling text. It is a conversation between two people, or pokémon, and someone couldn't hold on.

You are introduced to your partner, mine was Vulpix, who is pacing around and gets scared by the voice in the grate.

Only with you, does your partner muster up the courage to become an explorer. I grew to love my partner as a friend. But the ending. There is no future for you, so you end up getting wiped from the face of the Earth. You knew it was coming. But when your partner finds out, she he breaks down in tears and begs you not to leave. After you disappear, your partner forces themselves to move on, to tell your story, the story of the sacrifice you made. Dialga feels your partner's pain and suffering from the Imperial Tower. "I have felt your pain and suffering from here... If Rylee (the name you entered) wishes to come back as well. He she will come back..."

This game made me cry. Any game, in my book, that makes me cry is beyond amazing. Game Freak, you deserve a medal for this amazing game.
  31. Nov 1, 2015
    Hoo boy...
    Where do I even start?
    First, the negatives. Ok, so the story doesn't start out very interesting, and the gameplay can get boring, but I compare this game to Super Paper Mario. Get past the boring-ness of the first couple of chapters and you end up IN SPACE!!!!!! ...Or in the future. Either or. The music in this game is great: but it's Nintendo, kind of expected. The
    Hoo boy...
    Where do I even start?

...Or in the future. Either or.

The music in this game is great: but it's Nintendo, kind of expected. The variety of dungeons is great, from seaside caves to gloomy forests to a crumbling time tower. And the story.

I'll say this much.

AMAZING.

10/10, minus one for the minor flaws I listed above.
  32. Dec 24, 2014
    After red rescue team's bad score from critics i didn't think the series would survive but Nintendo decided they give more of a crap about what the users think then the critics and spawned a new mystery dungeon. Bringing in my favorite pokemon lucario, more dungeons, more post game, AND MORE BIDOOF. And the character side quests game the game even more gameplay. This game took forvever toAfter red rescue team's bad score from critics i didn't think the series would survive but Nintendo decided they give more of a crap about what the users think then the critics and spawned a new mystery dungeon. Bringing in my favorite pokemon lucario, more dungeons, more post game, AND MORE BIDOOF. And the character side quests game the game even more gameplay. This game took forvever to complete 100% and i love it. This game also introduced Primal Dialga (or Dark Dialga in the japanese version) a scary version of Dialga who's completely lost his ****. I was level 100 due to magical wonder cheats and it even scared me, espessialy with his ridiculously strong Roar of time that hits everyone. A bit broken but i expect myself to be at a disadvantage in a final boss. It makes the fight a nail biter and perfect. I love this game to bits and was sad to see it get spat on by critics and it's inbred child Gates to Infinity Expand
  33. Jan 27, 2016
    This is an amazing game. It still makes me cry 6 years later so to all those who are posting **** reviews because of graphics, you are the cancer of the internet.
  34. May 31, 2015
    There is literally nothing that i can say that I didn't like about this game. So i cried a little inside for my second favorite pokemon game, trailing just behind platinum, being rated as worse than my most hated pokemon game, gates to infinity.
  35. Aug 22, 2015
    Absolutely brilliant in every aspect, the plot, the mechanics, the feels, just absolutely everything. If you are a fan of Pokemon it makes it even better.
  36. Aug 15, 2015
    As a person who rarely likes combat gameplay, this game was a lot of fun. It's a story-heavy RPG, so it's not for everyone, but the music, plot, characters, and general mood of the game are all top-notch here. One of my favorite games for the DS.
  37. Aug 21, 2015
    While gameplay can sometimes be tedious, the storyline is amazing. This is a fun game to play and it definitely underrated. Sometimes it can be challenging (like on the Zero Isles) but after applying strategy you can progress. Soundtrack is awesome too.

A lot of neg reviews are from the kinds of players who don't like roguelikes (due to their repetitiveness) but for a roguelike fan, this game is something that you would want to buy.
  38. Nov 15, 2015
    This game's game play is surprisingly addicting with one of the best stories in recent memory and is SUPER UNDERRATED please play this game you wont be disapointed
  39. Nov 28, 2015
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky is the pinnacle of the Mystery Dungeon Spin Off Series. With the combination of graphics, story, game play and music this game is one of the best Pokemon Spin Off games in history. The main story and endgame content can leave you with countless hours of entertainment, and despite its age, still reels me back into playing even into this day. In termsPokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky is the pinnacle of the Mystery Dungeon Spin Off Series. With the combination of graphics, story, game play and music this game is one of the best Pokemon Spin Off games in history. The main story and endgame content can leave you with countless hours of entertainment, and despite its age, still reels me back into playing even into this day. In terms of pros and cons:

Pros:
    -Beautiful Cut-scenes
    -Fantastic Story
    -Beautiful Music
    -Great Game play
    -Memorable Locations
    -Fantastic Character Development
    -Great twists and turns
    -Unpredictable environment
    -Very High Replay ability
    -Many Dungeons to Explore
    -Many Pokemon to Face(Up to Gen IV)
    -Adds additional stories explaining characters and situations from Time and Darkness

Cons:
    -Remake of Time and Sky, some players may feel shafted

Overall, if you are reading this review today, and have not played this game, you should find this game somewhere on ebay and purchase it. This game offers an entire experience no other game has left me, from a fantastic story and memorable locations, along with hours of content, I found little to no time of where I felt bored. This game is simply put the best game in the Mystery Dungeon Series, and is highly underrated. With how modern gaming industries are working, this game shines a light in the darkness of how a simple DS game can generate the best experience of a lifetime, at such of little cost, with the bountiful amount of content. Please go out and purchase this game yourself, you will then know of the feelings I am speaking of as I wrote this review. Its a 10/10 game!
  40. Dec 29, 2015
    One of the few games that made my cry in the end (and of happiness). Everything about this game, from game play, to soundtrack, characters to story line, is something I'll hopefully never forget.
  41. May 28, 2016
    "The game isn't perfect by any means, it can get a little repetitive at times and the story takes a little while to get interesting. However, it's perfect in my eyes and this game had a massive impact on my life. The story is amazing and the gameplay gives a fresh twist on Pokemon. In my opinion, this is the best game ever made, second only to the sequel, Explorers of Time/ Darkness/ Sky.""The game isn't perfect by any means, it can get a little repetitive at times and the story takes a little while to get interesting. However, it's perfect in my eyes and this game had a massive impact on my life. The story is amazing and the gameplay gives a fresh twist on Pokemon. In my opinion, this is the best game ever made, second only to the sequel, Explorers of Time/ Darkness/ Sky." - A review I wrote for Blue Rescue Team.
    Everything positive I said in that review holds true for this game, everything negative does not. This game is perfect in every way and I heartily recommend it to everyone. The game has the most amazing and compelling story to ever exist and has many aspects from the previous game improved and redesigned (for the better). Many people in this world, alongside myself, may not have become the people we are today without this game. It's that amazing...
  42. Jul 10, 2016
    I've seen some people say that if you own a copy of time/darkness then don't bother with sky but I say sell time/darkness and buy sky. As an improvement on darkness/time, sky doesn't offer that much extra apart from bonus content like Spinda's café, special episodes and a MEGA improvement to the Crogunk swap shop, but enough of how it compares to Time/Darkness and onto the game itself.
    So
    So the first thing to happen when you start the game is some pointless migraine inducing quiz to choose your starter Pokemon. Why we couldn't just choose right off the bat rather than having to find an internet help page for how to get Riolu is beyond me but eventually we get into the actual game and the opening to the story is quite strong for a Pokemon game but doesn't really stand out much and that's the point. The story telling is almost in the style of J.K. Rowling in that the story starts quite slowly, but it mentions many small things that turn out to be major plot points in the story ahead. I don't want to say much about the story other than it picks up massively around the 14th episode (or chapter or whatever they call it) and the ending is GOOD. Very immersive and very emotional, this is one of fictions greatest stories.
    The game has the second greatest atmosphere of any game ever made, beaten only by Majora's Mask from the legend of Zelda franchise. This is in no small part to the music. Pokémon mystery dungeon: Explorers of sky has one of the most amazing soundtracks of any game. movie or TV show. I could go on to list some of the greater pieces like Temporal Tower dungeon theme or the Time Gear theme but in reality, eachj piece of the soundtrack is perfectly suited to the situation in the story, always making the right contribution to the atmosphere.
    The gameplay is...fine. It's not bad as many people who're less used the the mystery dungeon franchise believe but it's not fantastic. My opinion is that it's slightly above par, it is, in essence, Pokémon just on an odd layout. It can be very fun at times but some of the longer dungeons can get a bit exhausting. I understand that the game is trying to give an actual feeling of exploration but some aspects can really drag down the gameplay. For one, PP consumption is a big problem in this game and I often feel like I can't use moves as often is I would like and end up resorting to a regular attack. The whole belly mechanic can get in the way as well but both of these problems clear up a bit more as you open the sixth slot in the treasure bag and are more able to stock up on apples and max elixirs. The special episodes are mostly OK, the dungeons are kept short and sweet which is quite nice and some of the stories are quite well written, namely 'igglybuff the prodigy' and 'In the future of darkness.' Still, I wasn't really as interested in Bidoof's self-esteem as I was in Wigglytuff's origins and funnily enough, bidoof's wish is the hardest part of the entire game, as you're given a bad pokemon with bad moves and a low level and you're told the fight Jirachi with tackle but if you find dig in the main story, this becomes less of a challenge.
    Overall, the gameplay can be fun for fans of the pokemon franchise but the game really shines in it's story that after years of criticising games that have much better story than gameplay, I say that this game is worth playing, even if just for the story. Or maybe you can just find a let's play and wonder why on earth are people still making these videos on their own if they're going to add bugger all in commentary.
  43. May 29, 2017
    Buen juego de cara a la saga de Mundo Misterios.Completa bien la saga y tienen buenas mazmorras,buena historia y buen sistema de combate.Historia simplemente genial
  44. Apr 21, 2017
    This is so far my favourite Pokémon game and game is very underrated. The storyline alone managed to bump up my score to 9. For the negatives the story has some pacing issues at the beginning and has some awkward dialogue throughout the whole game. For me personally the gameplay gets very bland and repetitive. It's pretty much the same thing throughout the whole game with nothingThis is so far my favourite Pokémon game and game is very underrated. The storyline alone managed to bump up my score to 9. For the negatives the story has some pacing issues at the beginning and has some awkward dialogue throughout the whole game. For me personally the gameplay gets very bland and repetitive. It's pretty much the same thing throughout the whole game with nothing interesting. Item management can get annoying like how your inventory is always full and is just a mess. The menus too are pretty bad, I have to access the menu everytime i want to use an attack where you can only set one of them to a quick key. I hated exploring very bland randomly generated dungeons. The only thing that kept me going was the storyline. I always wanted to see more of it, it was surprisingly good and got pretty deep too for a Pokémon game. Music too is top notch here. I am glad that I played the game to the end. Without the storyline I would give this game a score of 3 or something. You don't want to miss out on this game if you are a Pokémon fan or a fan of story heavy games. Expand

#4 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#5 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. I just can't recommend Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky to anyone that has played the previous games in the series. It looks like a GBA game, and is chock full of lazy and somewhat dated gameplay.
  2. While Explorers of Sky would be a decent game if it were judged in a vacuum, when viewed alongside Explorers of Time / Darkness, there simply isn't enough unique, quality content to make it relevant. This is perhaps one of the worst values in gaming I've ever seen.
  3. The story isn't interesting enough to keep you involved, and the gameplay doesn't elevate past mashing attacks for combat. All together, it's a disappointing title, and not one that I suggest checking out.