9.2

1. Jan 21, 2011
    There has already been a ton of great things said about this game so Ill make it short and sweet.

This game is a remake of what many believe to be the best pokémon game of all time. The amount of features and game play found in the original was staggering for a Game boy Color game and Heart Gold and Soul Silver retain all that made it's 2000 counter-part great, as well as including all of features introduced since. Really, the most complete pokémon game to date, a great value for your money, and a great throw back to the golden age of the franchise. The best Pokémon game ever and a Reason to pick up a Nintendo DS.
  2. Jul 10, 2011
    I personally was so disappointed in that i knew i was missing out on a whole generation of pokemon, and a whole world to explore. Because while Red and Blue were re-made for the next generation, Gold and Silver weren't. Then Nintendo announced HeartGold and SoulSilver, re-makes of the classics with unbelievable graphics, and new features. The game improved on all the new concepts fromI personally was so disappointed in that i knew i was missing out on a whole generation of pokemon, and a whole world to explore. Because while Red and Blue were re-made for the next generation, Gold and Silver weren't. Then Nintendo announced HeartGold and SoulSilver, re-makes of the classics with unbelievable graphics, and new features. The game improved on all the new concepts from Platinum, and still introduced new concepts. The storyline was good as ever. (in that it is a pokemon storyline) and everything was absolutely amazing. I knew these pokemon, but had never had a chance to use them. This is the chance to. so go and buy this game. Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Even over 10 years later and as a graduate student this game is still addicting. Video games aren't what they used to be and it has been many years since I've been truly addicted to and/or immersed in a video game (the only other one has been Skyrim). When I picked this game up I didn't get bored of it until over 100 hours in (who would think that a DS game or a Pokemon game could hold myEven over 10 years later and as a graduate student this game is still addicting. Video games aren't what they used to be and it has been many years since I've been truly addicted to and/or immersed in a video game (the only other one has been Skyrim). When I picked this game up I didn't get bored of it until over 100 hours in (who would think that a DS game or a Pokemon game could hold my attention that long?) It's not just a remake of a fantastic game, but a whole new experience with many new Pokemon to catch and an abundance of side content and additional features a must buy if you have ever liked Pokemon video games. Expand
  4. Jul 10, 2011
    Excellent game, a huge improvement to the original Generation 2. There is little to add, since the game is a remake, but the way they handled the Game Corner is praiseworthy.
  5. Aug 19, 2011
    a gr8 game!!!!! showcases the ability of the developers to remake classic pokemon games even 10 years after their original releases.. excellent value for your money.
  6. Jul 13, 2011
    Pokemon doesn't change much aside from the sheer number of them. That being said I always liked the Gold/Silver versions the best. And then they made it again, only better. While all the Pokemon not in the first version don't appear till much later it's nice traveling through the lands I enjoyed when I was nine. The phone system has been improved though I miss the VS seeker from Fire Red.Pokemon doesn't change much aside from the sheer number of them. That being said I always liked the Gold/Silver versions the best. And then they made it again, only better. While all the Pokemon not in the first version don't appear till much later it's nice traveling through the lands I enjoyed when I was nine. The phone system has been improved though I miss the VS seeker from Fire Red. The rematch of gym leaders and elite four with new stronger Pokemon was a big plus.Though the game has some annoying flaws namely the how only certain Pokemon appear in the safari zone after 30 days, and it is really annoying. I'm not even sure how one could come up with such a bad idea. I know kids don't want to wait forever for one Pokemon to hopefully appear, the ones who you have to wait for have about a 5% chance of showing up in grass. That aside as far as Pokemon games goes this is the best one. Expand
  7. Jul 26, 2011
    Probably the best game anyone could ever buy for the Nintendo DS, from it's graphic to game-play. It's basically two games in one, doubling the experience into two-half's of addicting fun! Not even Black & White an match up to Soulsilver, the classic remake of a classic Gameboy game.
  8. Jul 29, 2011
    This game was a very fancy while successful remake out of the Pokemon franchise. The improving technologies throughout the years between the original and remake absolutely reveal itself throughout the game. Some Pokemon destinations do not even look recognizable without their names! Overall, this was probably the best remake out of the Pokemon franchise, while this is also the symbol forThis game was a very fancy while successful remake out of the Pokemon franchise. The improving technologies throughout the years between the original and remake absolutely reveal itself throughout the game. Some Pokemon destinations do not even look recognizable without their names! Overall, this was probably the best remake out of the Pokemon franchise, while this is also the symbol for the improving technology before and after. Expand
  9. Apr 2, 2012
    You simply can't ask for more out of a video game remake. An amazing battle system and a load of memories will excite Pokemon fans all over the globe.
  10. Jan 20, 2012
    I love the indoors of each gyms they are fantastic. The pokemons which we loved in the 2000s are back. with exploding graphics. Pokemon soulsilver is much better than heartgold. Since you can catch Lugia which is stronger than Ho-Oh.
  11. Jan 21, 2012
    Playing this game was pure nostalgia for me. I haven't played a Pokemon game in a while because I'm tired of playing the same game over and over again, but when I heard they were releasing a remake of one of my fondest games as a child I went out and bought it. I'm pleased to report that it didn't disappoint either. I highly recommend this game, especially to those who grew up playing it.
  12. Mar 22, 2012
    thisgame is pretty great all around.....but what happens if your in the same situation as me who has some pf the best pokemon...and unlocked the supreme cup in th pokeathlon and reached the last room there as well.....and if you have hot streak and have a few frontier symbols then what do you do......i mean the game is great and has a long lasting appeal but like all pokemon games oncethisgame is pretty great all around.....but what happens if your in the same situation as me who has some pf the best pokemon...and unlocked the supreme cup in th pokeathlon and reached the last room there as well.....and if you have hot streak and have a few frontier symbols then what do you do......i mean the game is great and has a long lasting appeal but like all pokemon games once your done your done Expand
  13. Oct 9, 2012
    Opening a wide row of doors, Pokémon HeartGold Version and Pokémon SoulSilver are the culmination of generations past. In these two games, history is repeating itself, as you are transported back to Johto, and reminded of the terrible havoc unleashed ten years ago
  14. Jan 19, 2013
    A perfect game! This is by far one the best Pokemon games ive played. I got up to 44 hours of total playtime and for the price i payed (30 pounds i think) it was worth every penny.
  15. Jan 11, 2013
    Excellent remake with new additions that make it worth buying. This game is perfect for old fans of the series. It certainly made me nostalgic, especially considering the original (Pokemon Silver) was my favorite in the franchise.
  16. Mar 6, 2013
    Being a longtime pokemon fan i was so happy to hear about a remake of silver version. This game has everything silver version has and more! It fixed every problem in the original such as slowly walking everywhere etc. I think this one is my favorite! Graphics have improved alot through handheld pokemon games in the past and love that tiny touch of 3D. Amazing game! 10 out of 10!
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    by far the best ds game I have ever played. there are 4 evenly spread generations of pokemon, LOADS upon loads of content, and to top it off TWO REGIONS! this game is virtually flawless and certainly worth the money to play it if your a pokemon fan. 10/10
  18. Jan 4, 2014
    A true classic this game is the 2nd best of the series with it being close to topping FRLG. The soundtrack is brilliant and catchy and the battles are challenging.
  19. Sep 18, 2014
    A welcome remake of generation 2. Bit of a late review 3 years later, But still I consider this the best Pokemon game to date. I've put 113 hours into this game, and I have no major annoyances to report. It follows the same plot as the original, and there isn't much else to say. But not picking this up would be a serious mistake for Pokemon fans.
  20. Sep 28, 2013
    This was probably my favorite of the DS Pokemon games, only tied by Black 2. It has such a beautiful setting and world to it, and all the favorite Pokemon mechanics the series is beloved for. Not to mention the fun of having your top Pokemon follow you around and interact with you. This remake also clarifies a few theories and plot threads left in the original games pretty satisfactorily,This was probably my favorite of the DS Pokemon games, only tied by Black 2. It has such a beautiful setting and world to it, and all the favorite Pokemon mechanics the series is beloved for. Not to mention the fun of having your top Pokemon follow you around and interact with you. This remake also clarifies a few theories and plot threads left in the original games pretty satisfactorily,
    Art: 9
    Music: 10
    Writing: 8
    Gameplay: 9
  21. Nov 5, 2013
    This was the best Pokemon game to be released so far. It was a perfect remake of the classic Silver Version. Johto was my favorite region so I have some bias, but I believe that this game gave the most game play and features for the price. The Poke Walker that came with it also got me moving to level my pokemon on the go.
  22. Apr 18, 2014
    This is how you do a remake, ladies and gentleman. You perfect the original game and add more content to make it a better overall game. SoulSilver is an amazing RPG. Everything in this game improves on the original. As someone who owns the original Silver, get this game if you don't have the original. It is worth every penny of its absurdly high price of $50.
  23. May 22, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot of effort went into adding nice little gimmicks here and there - it adds up nicely to compliment the experience. The graphics are decent and puts the Johto region into a better, more interesting perspective. When certain areas are entered, there is some interesting art that illustrates the environment and adds character. The music, like the music in the original game, is excellent and memorable. You can even listen to the tracks from the originals themselves! The story length is, well... you get to collect 16 Gym Badges as opposed to the traditional 8, so in that way the storyline is already unique. The only thing that's not exactly satisfactory is the leveling... it's pretty much like the original where everything is a under-leveled. At first, I didn't like it, but then I realized it doesn't really matter, since everyone is low-leveled. Since, however, Red's Pokemon are such a higher level, increasing the level of everything more wouldn't have hurt. Nonetheless, this game is a masterpiece - an impressive remake and possibly the best Pokemon game. Expand
  24. May 20, 2014
    it is the best pokemon game ever made,it has good gameplay with decent story amazing world allota fun and maybe even the best game on the ds and one of the best games of freaking nintendo!!!
  25. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played Pokemon since the beginning and this is by far the best game of the franchise. The pokewalker was a very fun feature and it was great way to interact with friends threw and the post game and pokeatholon were probably some of the funnest parts of the game. The amount of legendarys was huge and it was fun to try and catch them all especially riaku and enti. The only down side i could think of is the amount of grinding u had to do on your pokemon to defeat red and get the kanto and hoenn starters, but this doesn't even matter much and i like how the integrated a game for you to play when transferring your pokemon to black and white. The game was really fun and easy Expand
  26. Oct 19, 2014
    This is how remakes are supposed to be done! Brings back walk with pokemon mechanic and the pokewalker is an awesome peripheral. Easily my favorite Pokemon of all time!
  27. Sep 10, 2014
    This game has some of the most content of any Pokemon game. If you are bored, there are some minigames that you could pass the time with, but you won't be spending a lot of the game on that. You start out in the Johto region. You get a Pokemon and the professor tells you that you should keep your first pokemon outside of the pokeballs. You spend all of the game with the first member ofThis game has some of the most content of any Pokemon game. If you are bored, there are some minigames that you could pass the time with, but you won't be spending a lot of the game on that. You start out in the Johto region. You get a Pokemon and the professor tells you that you should keep your first pokemon outside of the pokeballs. You spend all of the game with the first member of your party walking with you. This is a really neat feature because you can actually bond with you pokemon. There are also two regions, which is completely awesome. The music is awesome, and fans of the old game will appreciate the new songs. This is the best Pokemon game in my opinion. If you don't have this game, go out and buy it right away! Expand
  28. Oct 13, 2014
    Probably the second best Pokémon game there is after Platinum. A truly well-done remake of the original which fixes several of the flaws present in the original game (such as leveling problems towards the end and better Kanto with tougher gym leaders).

1. It may not be too revolutionary but this is by far the biggest, most packed Pokemon yet. [Mar 2010, p.67]
  2. It's still the Pokemon you know and love - and handheld entertainment of the highest order. [Apr 2010, p.78]
  3. The Pokemon formula stays unchanged, but Gold and Silver remain our favourites. Essential for Johto newcomers and veterans. [Mar 2010, p.94]