Ragnarok DS DS

5.8

1. Jan 21, 2013
    After playing Ragnarok Online for quite a few years, I was excited to play one of my favorite games wherever I went. However, right after the opening scene I realized this was going to be far from the Ragnarok I knew and loved. Ragnarok DS is much much more story driven than the MMORPG and rightfully so. It's a little hard to play a massively MULTIPLAYER game by yourself so the added storyAfter playing Ragnarok Online for quite a few years, I was excited to play one of my favorite games wherever I went. However, right after the opening scene I realized this was going to be far from the Ragnarok I knew and loved. Ragnarok DS is much much more story driven than the MMORPG and rightfully so. It's a little hard to play a massively MULTIPLAYER game by yourself so the added story gives you something nice to go with.
    However, the story provided is very much a carbon-copy of, well, pretty much every single other RPG game out there. The combat is fun, but gets repetitive after a while but is made up with fairly nice skill progression and customization.

The biggest downside to this game is the repetitive environments and backtracking. You'll find yourself going through the same cave over and over again on different quests and it gets pretty old pretty fast.
    The music can also get dry and overused because of this, the most annoying songs also used in the most frequented places. However, there are a few songs that really make the game pop.

The game isn't short, although that's probably due to backtracking through miles of the same dungeons.

Overall, Ragnarok DS is an okay game and, while repetitive, gives you quite a bit to do. The character progression is nice and the story is cute. If you're a fan of Ragnarok Online, I suggest at least trying this game out.

#39 Most Discussed DS Game of 2010
#22 Most Shared DS Game of 2010

1. Nintendo Power
    It tends to feel more like running in place - as the man says, there's not much point to it. [Mar 2010, p.91]
    Strip away the camaraderie, competition, and character interaction of the online experience, and Ragnarok DS simply sticks you with all the hardcore monster-slaying and loot grinding of an MMO without the payoff of being able to crush other human opponents under your mighty battle-hardened boot.
  3. The single-player campaign is a long, text-filled, boring grind, and the multiplayer is even worse.