8.1

1. Mar 28, 2013
    On the Nintendo DS, there are several turn-based strategy games, but few offer as much complexity and randomness as Civilization Revolution. In Civilization, you play as a nation and then must expand your territory and explore new lands. Along the way you make alliances and treaties with the other nations you encounter.

One fantastic reason why this game is so much fun is that each game
    is randomised so you never know which nations you’ll encounter. This keeps the excitement going as you have no idea what kinds of opponents you will face. The maps are also random, with some being a giant continent but other maps being several small islands.

While each nation starts out equal in terms of basic resources, different nations have access to different bonuses. For example, as the Romans you get half price roads and as the Zulu nation you get stronger warrior units at the start.

All of these bonuses are fairly small but there are other bonuses later on which change the game in more substantial ways. There are also different choices of religion for the nation, for example with Democracy you cannot start a war but your nation gets a food and science bonus.

When you’ve uncovered all the map and you research more technology, the AI becomes more aggressive and will sometimes attempt to start wars with you. At this point in the game things get pretty complex and intense with cities getting captured left and right, as well as constant negotiations for peace or the AI demanding knowledge to call a cease fire. These constant talks are an annoyance and they cannot be turned off. It’s a shame such a great system has no way of stopping the AI from bombarding you with blackmail attempts.

Regardless, it’s an enjoyable game with tons of units, a lot of strategy and many different ways to win.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Man, finally! A strategy game where I don't have to kill everything in order to win! THANK-YOU SID MEIER! Anyways, brilliant game, with excellent AI, and great game modes as well. Not the best game I've ever played (that would be CTR) but certainly the one that I've been most addicted to.
  3. Nov 4, 2010
    If you are a strategy fan, the Civ Revolution is a must have. I find myself coming back to play this game more often than any of my other games. Even though it has been simplified compared to the PC versions, it is just as much fun!
  4. Jan 31, 2011

1. If you're a fan of the genre, there are few better ways to get your fix on the go. [Aug 2008, p.89]
  2. Revolution capitalizes on the DS’s strengths with some great stylus-based controls. Unfortunately, there are some problems, as the gameplay feels a bit scaled down and the maps feel pretty cramped.
  3. This title’s greatest accomplishment is simply in delivering the full Civilization Revolution experience on Nintendo’s handheld.