• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 18, 2007
8.0

1. Nov 24, 2011
    It's a geniunely good game. Good, not great, like every Sonic game. The controls are a little sloppy, the level design is also. The story is confusing, and unnessesary.
  2. Jul 16, 2011
    After Sonic Adventure I kind of fell in love with modern sonic and the whole 3d + great graphics + even more speed as well. Not to say I dont like the classical sonic, im a fan. So I bought this game not expecting much before a long train trip in Japan. It did impress me... the trip went by quickly cause it is indeed fun! I like the modern feeling they give to 2D portable sonic gamesAfter Sonic Adventure I kind of fell in love with modern sonic and the whole 3d + great graphics + even more speed as well. Not to say I dont like the classical sonic, im a fan. So I bought this game not expecting much before a long train trip in Japan. It did impress me... the trip went by quickly cause it is indeed fun! I like the modern feeling they give to 2D portable sonic games nowadays and this is one of the best examples. Simply put: If you like sonic, you will like this game. If you are one of the gamers that USED to like Sonic, you will like this game as well. If you hate sonic... well.. I wouldnt bother. For me, though....Best surprise Ive ever had because I always think and search for info regarding games before I buy and this one I just picked up and had a lot of fun! Made me play sonic games again! Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2010
    This game annoyed me, because while it forced you to replay the stages to progress the game, there are only two playable characters: Sonic and Blaze. Unfortunately, their capabilities are almost identical, making level replay tedious.
  4. Jun 11, 2012
    Sonic Rush Adventure has a lot going for it; bright and vibrant graphics, a goofy plot-line with fun dialogue, fantastic boss battles... Heck, even the sections where you travel between the islands on a boat are well designed and fun to play. Unfortunately, the action stages (which should be the meat of the game) are simply bland and uninspired. You spend all your time zipping aroundSonic Rush Adventure has a lot going for it; bright and vibrant graphics, a goofy plot-line with fun dialogue, fantastic boss battles... Heck, even the sections where you travel between the islands on a boat are well designed and fun to play. Unfortunately, the action stages (which should be the meat of the game) are simply bland and uninspired. You spend all your time zipping around through loops and tubes, never stopping to indulge in such fanciful things as, say, actual platforming. Of course, this approach isn't always wrong, as aptly proved by the excellent Sonic Advance series, but in this game it just feels... Tedious. This is doubly compounded by the structure of the game, which FORCES you to repeatedly play levels in order to gain the materials to build new items and boats. It's usually a pleasure to re-play stages in Sonic, but here they turn it into a chore that hampers progression. There are a ton of great Sonic games. This isn't one of them. Expand
  5. Jan 2, 2013
    Sonic Rush Adventure is a Nintendo DS game that is a sequel to Sonic Rush. There are two main gameplay styles driving boats around and 2D platforming stages, and two more minor, boss battles and missions. In 2D platforming sections you can choose between either Sonic The Hedgehog or Blaze The Cat, with different abilities each, and run through levels, this is not all that fun though,Sonic Rush Adventure is a Nintendo DS game that is a sequel to Sonic Rush. There are two main gameplay styles driving boats around and 2D platforming stages, and two more minor, boss battles and missions. In 2D platforming sections you can choose between either Sonic The Hedgehog or Blaze The Cat, with different abilities each, and run through levels, this is not all that fun though, levels conflict with the game's core gameplay of moving fast. Enemies are always in the the absolute worst locations and bottomless pits are abundant, both of which will cost you many lives if you choose to go fast because you might not have time to correct your errors unless you have the stage layouts completely memorized and know what is coming ahead of you. The other major portion of the game is sailing across the ocean in various kinds of boats. This is a nice diversion from platforming but this sailing gimmick is extremely shallow and not explored to its full potential, it can also start hurting your hand after awhile which made me want to stop playing game and hurt the game's flow and enjoyment for me. Bosses are pretty fun an creative most of the time, and completing missions can be used to unlock more content in-game such as Decorations and Sol Emeralds for example. Because you constantly need to build new things to advance the in-game plot (what little of it there actually is), you are usually forced to replay sailing sessions and 2D platforming stages to gather more rings and resources. This a poor excuse for padding the game to make it seem longer than it actually is by forcing you to replay previously completed levels just to be able to continue through the game.
    You can also play through 2D platforming levels in Time Trial mode or Multiplayer on Wifi against other people with this game. The music in the game is decent while the writing in the story is pretty bad unfortunately. Overall, if you are willing to overlook its flaws such as being repetitive, below average level design and a story that isn't that great, it can be a decent game that can be enjoyable.
  6. May 2, 2012
    Way better than sonic rush that explains it all.
  7. Apr 20, 2013
    Ugh... Do you know why sonic rush had not much platforming and was more focused on speed? Play sonic rush adventure and you will understand. The control was no problem in sonic rush but in rush adventure it was a problem as it had much more platforming because the control is stiff. Moving onto other problems the level design was noticeably worse. The new character marine is annoying. AndUgh... Do you know why sonic rush had not much platforming and was more focused on speed? Play sonic rush adventure and you will understand. The control was no problem in sonic rush but in rush adventure it was a problem as it had much more platforming because the control is stiff. Moving onto other problems the level design was noticeably worse. The new character marine is annoying. And the ship sections are boring filler. The music is good though and the graphics are nice. overall its mediocre. Expand
  8. Feb 11, 2014
    It meddles with the fast pace of the first by forcing you on a ship with some rhythm games. It's got a lot of filler, and it's still short.

However, it has some improvements to Sonic Rush, and provides a great sense of speed. However, I couldn't fall in love with it, like the first one. Perhaps it was Marine that really did this game in, along with the useless locals.
  9. Nov 9, 2014
    This is the second time I have played through the game, and I can say really good things about it!

Story: The story is a continuation of the original Sonic rush albeit tropical island themed this time around. Sonic and Tails meet up with this racoon named Marine and a whole new venture starts from there! You will see a few familiar faces along the way, but the game does boast quite a few new characters!

Graphics: This game looks very good for a DS game. Sonic and Blaze are full 3D models while everything else is 2D sprites. Just like the first game, this setup works very well; the colorfulness of some areas are baffling! Some cut scenes are full rendered while some are static character portraits. They both look very good, and keep the story moving along at a nice pace.

Sound: Probably the best part of the game. Everything sounds WONDERFUL from the level themes, to the main hub world theme. Sound effects sound great; like Sonic destroying an enemy or his boost, and all these sounds keep you immersed in the game, and really makes you WANT to keep playing. I would highly recommend looking up the soundtrack for this game!

Gameplay: This game plays GREAT! It plays like an old Sonic game from the genesis days, albeit the physics are a little off in comparison. This was probably due to the fact that they wanted to keep speed in the game in emphasis (It is called Sonic Rush lol). The boost mechanic returns from Sonic Rush, and it works just as well as it did in that game. The level design is built around using it strategically, so if anyone says "Boost to win" That is not a proper argument here. The only thing that is a complaint is that they have added vehicles sections to the game. They really are not bad at all, but they do cut into the actually meat of the game towards the end. The saving grace of the vehicles sections is that they control good, and are fun to play.

Replay Value: This game is very repayable. With the ranking system, missions, and material gathering; there is PLENTY to do in this game! After finishing the main story, there is plenty more content to get your hands on! See if you can get all S ranks! That will prove that you mastered the game!

As you can see, the game is very good, the only thing that keeps it from a perfect score would be vehicle sections popping up a bit too much, and material gathering during the story can be a little bit of a downer (Though playing through levels again is good way to practice for the S rank). So, I would give this game a very strong recommendation!

1. Like these guys say, the standard Sonic action is easily the main draw, especially when it gets more challenging--and satisfying--toward the end. [Oct 2007, p.102]
  2. A reminder why Sonic has lasted 16 years. Fast, frantic and, most importantly, fun. [Oct 2007, p.71]
  3. A consummate Sonic experience, reminding us exactly why the blue blur was great in the first place - plus, it's got tons of replay value tucked inside. [Oct 2007, p.84]