Sonic Rush DS

• Release Date: Nov 15, 2005
8.5

1. MarlonB.
    Oct 14, 2008
    Hands down this game has revolutionized the Sonic franchise! When I played Sonic Advance I thought "hey, this isnt half bad" Then the sequels which truly made me feel like a bad ass with the incredible speed they brought, but that NOTHING compared to what Sonic Rush brought! Take the speed of Sonic Advance, multiply that by "holy pepperoni?!" & you got Sonic Rush. It aint called Sonic Hands down this game has revolutionized the Sonic franchise! When I played Sonic Advance I thought "hey, this isnt half bad" Then the sequels which truly made me feel like a bad ass with the incredible speed they brought, but that NOTHING compared to what Sonic Rush brought! Take the speed of Sonic Advance, multiply that by "holy pepperoni?!" & you got Sonic Rush. It aint called Sonic Rush for no reason. But Speed isnt the only thing this game brought, the tricks (oh the tricks!!) now that is the milk in my cereal! In the game when you jump or you're on a rail you gotta do tricks. Its simpler than it sounds, a simple press of the b, a, or r button. but of course these tricks have a purpose, the more you do, the more your rush meter fills. Now you can be boring & speed Sonic up the advance way (run till the after images show up) or you can use your tricks to your advantage press y or x and RUSH to get an instant speed boost! this with the amazing level design makes Sonic Rush an instant classic. there parts of the level though where you jump & you're doing your tricks and all of a sudden an enemy is there to ruin your combo, but they're easily ignorable. the game has its minor flawss though but again, they're minor but are what prevented the game from getting that perfect score. for example, the boss fights. they're either very easy or extremely irritating. the fact that I can only hit the boss when he (or she, blaze) is in position really makes it slow paced, and if i miss, i gotta wait till he's in position again, ugh! and then there is blaze. nothing really terrible about her but if you ask me, seems like she is begginer oriented with her no bonus levels, slower speed yet superior aerial abilities which really makes versus mode unbalanced. foix that and this would be a perfect game. Sonic Rush is most definitely a must have for ANY sonic fan!!! Expand
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    Sonic Rush is a great game. It's fast, exhilerating, and action-packed with a trick system to refill your boost gauge. Many old-school fans would dislike the game for its linear level design and focus on speed, but I honestly like it regardless and I believe any casual gamer will adore it as well.

However, it does have a list of problems besides that. Most of it involves a heavy emphasis on bottomless pits and poor enemy placement. There are times where they just put enemies right on the track in front of you, where you are going too fast to react. The boost does it best to alleviate the problem (considering that you're invincible when you use it), but then it leads to the bottomless pit problem, where you would speed right off a ledge and land on a falling platform with no time for a first-time reaction and ending up falling to your death. Levels like Altitude Limit will easily frustrate. You can easily avoid these problems by learning the level layout as you play, but that doesn't change the fact that the problem's still there.

Nevertheless, it's fun and interactive. Definetely worth taking a look at.
  3. Jan 24, 2012
    Sonic Rush showcases the awesomeness of the DS rather well, with fast-paced sonic awesomeness taking place over both screens. I haven't played a Sonic game on a Nintendo Handheld that I haven't enjoyed. It isn't fantastic, just great. Where it succeeds is the gameplay and difficulty, very good. But where it fails is in level design and music. The levels are mostly good, but there are oneSonic Rush showcases the awesomeness of the DS rather well, with fast-paced sonic awesomeness taking place over both screens. I haven't played a Sonic game on a Nintendo Handheld that I haven't enjoyed. It isn't fantastic, just great. Where it succeeds is the gameplay and difficulty, very good. But where it fails is in level design and music. The levels are mostly good, but there are one or two that aren't so great and the game contains what is quite possibly the most annoying soundtrack I've ever heard on the DS. But, it is great and Blaze isn't actually that bad, maybe a tad pointless, but not that bad. Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2014
    This is platforming to the most extreme level. The game's many long levels have been crafted perfectly to give you a real "rush" like feeling. The basic story may only take you 8-12 hours to beat, but the story isnt really over then. If you do something (can't say), then something will happen, greatly extending the hours to play, and you won't get bored with it! The multiplayer is alsoThis is platforming to the most extreme level. The game's many long levels have been crafted perfectly to give you a real "rush" like feeling. The basic story may only take you 8-12 hours to beat, but the story isnt really over then. If you do something (can't say), then something will happen, greatly extending the hours to play, and you won't get bored with it! The multiplayer is also amazing as you get to race around with your friend, very rush-like! I highly recommend this game to all sonic and platformer fans!!!

Gameplay: 10/10
    Story: 8.5/10
    Music: 9/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  5. Oct 18, 2011
    best originally handheld sonic game that isnt called sonic advance, so go get its rly cheap actually preowned, so yeah, (agents are...) GO get it now, and i give it a 94%, and i rly dont know what didnt make me give it a ten, but what the heck?
  6. DavidCharlton
    May 16, 2009
    The stages are entertaining and harken back to the old Sonic style we know and love, but the polygonal 3D boss fights are often tedious, cheap and frustrating, with the boss of the aircraft carrier stage Huge Crisis and the penultimate "unknown" zone being the worst offenders and as fun as the levels are, they lack any of the flare and magic that made the original Mega Drive series soThe stages are entertaining and harken back to the old Sonic style we know and love, but the polygonal 3D boss fights are often tedious, cheap and frustrating, with the boss of the aircraft carrier stage Huge Crisis and the penultimate "unknown" zone being the worst offenders and as fun as the levels are, they lack any of the flare and magic that made the original Mega Drive series so compulsively replayable.

Another complaint I have is regarding the bonus stages which you are required to complete as Sonic in order to obtain the chaos emeralds. They play out like the half-pipe special stages from Sonic 2 and Sonic 3D Blast, only you control Sonic using the DS stylus, which feels twitchy and unresponsive at best and is particularly problematic later on as the stages get more difficult.

I'd go so far as to say that you're better off playing Sonic Unleashed. Even the disastrous Sonic '06 had tonnes more replay value than this game. If you hate playing 3D Sonic games, then my advice is to stick with the classics from Sonic's heyday. The reason they are remembered so fondly is because of their lasting appeal. Sonic Rush has none of this.

Of course it's not all bad. Sonic Rush features some gorgeous 2D graphics even does its best to make use of the DS's primitive 3D capabilities. It's often a great pleasure to blast through such pleasant, colourful levels and I'm happy to say that adrenaline-pumped speed rarely lets up. The levels feature a nice balance of breakneck speed and interactivity, without compromising either (which is part of what made the daytime levels in Unleashed so much fun). The soundtrack is very reminiscent of Jet Set Radio and , depending on your inclination, will either sound fun and catchy or cloying and dated. I must say I enjoyed it though.

So in conclusion, I would recommend this game to any Sonic fan who owns a DS, but don't set your expectations too high. Sonic still has a long way to go before he can recapture his previous glory.
  7. P.Scott
    Jul 12, 2006
    Really disappointing. I know I'm the only person on the planet who thinks this, but Sega seem to have put most of their time into the graphics and nothing else. The voices and music are terrible and the zones suck. The only good things are the boss battles. It looks like it was made just to shove a Sonic game onto DS, and to try and make him look cool. Avoid this, and get the Really disappointing. I know I'm the only person on the planet who thinks this, but Sega seem to have put most of their time into the graphics and nothing else. The voices and music are terrible and the zones suck. The only good things are the boss battles. It looks like it was made just to shove a Sonic game onto DS, and to try and make him look cool. Avoid this, and get the original Sonic Advance. Expand
  8. RobL.
    Nov 20, 2005
    No touch screen control. Lots of holding right Bad Level design Bad enemy placements Very gimmicky Terrible voice acting and soundtrack The only good bits are the bosses especially the zone 3 boss.
  9. Apr 26, 2012
    This is totality one of the best ds games because this game just has it all great storyline kind of good graphics and there are also two ways to play sonic and blaze and this is the main point of the game the two different characters to play as.With this rating you will see what I mean.
  10. CoreyS.
    May 20, 2006
    It may be short but Sonic Rush has a suprising amount of replay value. This may be the fastest 2-D sonic game yet.
  11. MarkK.
    Oct 6, 2007
    The best Sonic Team have done in years! A must for any sonic fan.
  12. Giorgio
    Jan 6, 2007
    It's sonic. It's fast. It's colourful. It's fun to play! A high-level platform game to add to the DS list. The levels are huge, even if their number is small. 3D bosses are a nice addition, too.
  13. ElliottM.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Combine Ingenius Sonic Level design with all the flair with a simple (Very simple) combo system and you have sonic rush. Definately sonics fastest and most insane adventure yet. Sure it's short for this day, but with 8l evels (and bonus stages), it is just as long as any other sonic fan. This game demonstrates an excellent concept, and should make a worthy addition to any DS library.
  14. NatsuriI.
    Jan 16, 2007
    Three words: Get this game! Sure, there are some hard points where you may take a spill, but the learning curve and difficulty, plus the storyline, makes it all negligible. The only thing missing are the original voice actors. (i.e., Jaleel White)
  15. GioD
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hands down this is the finest Sonic game yet and i take nothing away from the AWESOME gameboy advance Sonic's 1-3. Sonic Rush brings back EVERYTHING that was great about a Sonic game in the first place. Fantastic graphics, a really great soundtrack, multiple missions, and ofcourse blazingly fast speed. Its good to know that even though Sega has messed up Sonic in the past with someHands down this is the finest Sonic game yet and i take nothing away from the AWESOME gameboy advance Sonic's 1-3. Sonic Rush brings back EVERYTHING that was great about a Sonic game in the first place. Fantastic graphics, a really great soundtrack, multiple missions, and ofcourse blazingly fast speed. Its good to know that even though Sega has messed up Sonic in the past with some medicore to moderate games, they can still produce an extremely fun and amazingly polished Sonic game. It's good to have you back in all of your original glory Expand
  16. TonyG.
    Dec 3, 2005
    super fast!! feels like big dose of speed! fixed alot of prevois probs with common sonic level design, spike placement ect. great job! can't wait for part 2! one of the best sonic games to date.
  17. TylerA.
    Jan 2, 2006
    This game was great, it had good speed, sound graphics and soundtrack. The only bad things are the special stages, the touch screen control can be annoying, and the game is too short, I got the game for Christmas and didnt start playing till the 26th and I finished it on the 29th. Still its worth a try.
  18. CameronC.
    Apr 28, 2006
    A crisp start for Sonic on the DS, and a refresher from the last of the Advance Sonic games. Great graphics, good level design, and a usual perfect choice of music. This is a flawless Sonic game, except i was hoping that with all of those emeralds to collect, you would get to control Hyper Sonic once again.
  19. Arlantaniar
    Jan 14, 2007
    The best 2D game from SonicTeam. Music is perfect, levels are interesting, Bosses are hardly-defeating, even subject is good! (I mean, this story is interesting). This game shows, that Sonic team still have a great talant... and the grows up in it with every game!
  20. Zaid
    Nov 21, 2005
    one of the best Sonic games since SOnic and Knuckles. actually no... besides the original SA, the best Sonic game since sonic and knuckles. Don't believe the haters, this is astounding.
  21. Phishor
    Dec 24, 2005
    Great game. I particularly like the extra moves they've added, it adds another layer of skill to the game. Actually, this is best fast paced action game I've ever played. I do have one complaint though, I finished it too quickly. I guess my old skills from the other Sonic games carried over. So I found Sonic Rush to be just a bit short. It's still just as long as any other Great game. I particularly like the extra moves they've added, it adds another layer of skill to the game. Actually, this is best fast paced action game I've ever played. I do have one complaint though, I finished it too quickly. I guess my old skills from the other Sonic games carried over. So I found Sonic Rush to be just a bit short. It's still just as long as any other Sonic game, but that's too short for someone like me... Expand
  22. Tony
    Dec 29, 2005
    A must have DS game. an incredibly well put together soundtrack, with great sound quality. I have always played sonic for the sheer speed of the game that no other 2d platformers had, and this one did not disappoint.
  23. JL
    Nov 25, 2005
    One of the better recently made Sonic Games. The sound track is awesome. 3d graphics great. Nice level design, but some what horrible enemy placement. A refreshing game for DS. Thank you Sega.
  24. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worth the buy....it could be tricky in some parts but it's a fun game and who doesn't like beating eggman a million times:)...fun game and you can play as sonic or blaze and have different endings Expand
  25. Jan 18, 2013
    Overall, this is a great game and probably the best of the franchise, The levels and are fun, fast and free with so many different paths to sure and use against people on Multiplayer and both characters playble have a good unique skill set. Music is funky and super cool. Graphics are energitic and perfect for a DS game and the boss fights are amazing! You would even feel like beating theOverall, this is a great game and probably the best of the franchise, The levels and are fun, fast and free with so many different paths to sure and use against people on Multiplayer and both characters playble have a good unique skill set. Music is funky and super cool. Graphics are energitic and perfect for a DS game and the boss fights are amazing! You would even feel like beating the game with new scored over and over again and it dosent get boring. Even listining to sound clips are fun and the story is simple and compelling. The only things that went wrong was a huge lack of touch screen for a DS game and there is less thinking and platform. Maybe some extra types of levels other than fast stages would be better as well. Expand
  26. Jan 19, 2014
    Sonic Rush is a great Sonic title by Dimps, It's great fun to go blasting though the levels while boosting, and it is a fun challenge to see how far you can go without running out of boost energy. The only problem I have with the gameplay is how Sonic and Blaze's play exactly the same and how their zones are exactly the same just in a different order.

The story is basically the typical

The story is basically the typical Sonic story. Dr. Eggman is evil. Go stop him. Nothing really worth talking about.

Graphically the game is great. With the very nice looking 2D backgrounds and stages. Sonic and Blaze's 3D models are decent as well. The bosses, which are also 3D models, are also passable.

The soundtrack is phenomenal. Done by Hideki Naganuma, famous for his work on Jet Set Radio. He brings a soundtrack that is very different from any other soundtrack in the series. Which no game in the series has been able to replicate. The soundtrack is made up of most made up of techno and it sounds amazing. It's very up-beat and catchy. Sound Effects are nothing special. And the voice clips work well enough.

Overall a great entry into the Sonic franchise, with it's fun gameplay, great graphics, and phenomenal soundtrack. I recommend it to anyone.

OVERALL-
  27. Mar 13, 2015
    Of all the sonic platformers I've played, this is the one I've had the most fun with. The controls, gameplay graphics, and music (especially the music) are all fantastic. While the level design may not be perfect for the same reason most sonic games aren't (taking damage or falling down a pit due to something you couldn't react to or properly see), the fact that the game is very forgivingOf all the sonic platformers I've played, this is the one I've had the most fun with. The controls, gameplay graphics, and music (especially the music) are all fantastic. While the level design may not be perfect for the same reason most sonic games aren't (taking damage or falling down a pit due to something you couldn't react to or properly see), the fact that the game is very forgiving combined with the fact the game takes an effort to properly prepare you for life or death sequences keeps the frustration at minimum; blasting through the levels can be incredibly fun and satisfying. On top of that, this game has some of the best bosses in a platformer I've ever encountered. They're all very well designed, and while the game is guilty of one or two palette swaps, the bosses themselves don't suffer because of it.
    All in all, if you're a fan of platformers or sonic in general, you definitely won't be disappointed. While it's not the longest game, it's fun the whole way through. Definitely give it a shot if you're interested.
  28. Dec 17, 2013
    Sonic Rush introduces a new style of play to 2-D Sonic games, and I for one, really enjoyed the outcome. The goal is the same, but the way you go about reaching the goal has changed. Often, it's hard to get Sonic rolling, and all these enemies in the way made it a challenge to do so. DIMPS had the marvelous idea of adding a boost mechanic in which Sonic can tear through just about anySonic Rush introduces a new style of play to 2-D Sonic games, and I for one, really enjoyed the outcome. The goal is the same, but the way you go about reaching the goal has changed. Often, it's hard to get Sonic rolling, and all these enemies in the way made it a challenge to do so. DIMPS had the marvelous idea of adding a boost mechanic in which Sonic can tear through just about any obstacle with the touch of the button and accelerate to greater speeds.

One would worry that this would create an imbalance in the gameplay. All you would have to do is hit the boost button through the level. To cover for that problem, the trick system was implemented, which has you using the hang time from bumpers and ramps into moments where you're frantically hitting the trick button, which so also happens to be the boost button. You'll find yourself budgeting how much time you have before you hit the ground before you can blast off in a frenzy. Sometimes, it's a danger, and you must carefully finish your tricks before landing, cause otherwise, you may send yourself to your death. The game is smart in forcing the player to think about when to use the boost and when not to. Those that try to just blast through every obstacle will fall right into every trap that this game has to offer.

Figuring out the most efficient paths and how to effectively use the new boost mechanic leaves you on your toes trying to move faster, yet smarter. The game's worlds are enormous and make good use of the 2 screens. Blaze enhances the game slightly by allowing for a different play style as well.

Overall, I enjoyed the change in pacing for Sonic. A great way to modernize the 2-D style of gameplay, and full of frantic fun.
  29. Apr 13, 2014
    This is the best Dimps Sonic game. I can easily pick up my 3DS and play this game and have a good time doing so. If you want the final story, then play as Blaze. I don't do so since the running animation feels weird, and she is much slower.
  30. Jan 3, 2017
    Sonic Rush definitely brings in the DS some attention for the hedgehog. It should be worth noting here that Sonic Rush brings disadvantages to the hedgehog, but some of them could hardly be beaten by their advantages.
  31. Jul 21, 2016
    A year before...that 2006 mess came out we had THIS game! A fast paced platformer with great characters and great gameplay. Try sonic rush and you may love it.
  32. Aug 31, 2016
    O melhor jogo do sonic no nintendo ds, trouxe a blaze para o portatil, graficos bons para o console, infelizmente a sua continuação nao foi tao boa assim...
  33. Oct 3, 2016
    a very enjoyable game the introduction of blaze the cat is great this game makes sonic go fast which is what you want from a sonic game with different versions of zones and music for each character this is a great sonic game to play
  34. Oct 14, 2016
    Quite a good game, but I recommend playing this first before playing the DS version of Sonic Colours.

Sounds, looks and plays wonderfully! One thing a get annoyed with though is when you get a game over, you go back to the title screen. Games in the older days had this, but this game kind of does it in an inappropriate way.
  35. Nov 10, 2016
    Sonic Rush was one of the first Sonic games for DS. This was the time when DS was still in its infancy. I compare this to playing the original Sonic but better by 1,000,000. Best Sonic game on a Legacy platform. 8/10

#9 Most Discussed DS Game of 2005
#15 Most Shared DS Game of 2005

An extremely polished DS title. It does a great job offering a fantastic, energetic old-school challenge that keeps the classic gaming style alive.
  2. Sonic Rush moves Sonic's 2D adventures over to the DS, and that positive trend continues with a platformer that focuses on raw speed while still managing to do interesting new things, particularly when it comes to the handheld's dual-screen format.
  3. Sonic Rush is an excellent pick-up-and-play title that's as addictive as any in the series, and has better graphics, sound, and presentation than any title before it.