8.0

1. FOJAKV
    Oct 2, 2007
    Great, Great Great!! An old franchise with a new air and tons of control innovations, really a 9.5 score. One of the best adventure / rpg of al times stil captivating and going a step farther..good job Nintendo. Buy It !!
  2. May 29, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass makes excellent use of the DS touch screen. The gameplay is more or less what you would expect from the series which is definitely a good thing. Some complain about the Temple of the Ocean King getting repetitive but I thought it added something new to the gameplay.
  3. Crazyqazqaz
    Oct 27, 2008
    Zelda games are famous for having incredibly long story lines, mind boggling puzzles, scores of mini-quests and the notorious Water Temples that consume hours of your life and have even been made into a slang (if a bit underused) term for something incredibly difficult. This, though, is a breath of fresh air. The game is lovingly crafted using bright, welcoming colours and a story line Zelda games are famous for having incredibly long story lines, mind boggling puzzles, scores of mini-quests and the notorious Water Temples that consume hours of your life and have even been made into a slang (if a bit underused) term for something incredibly difficult. This, though, is a breath of fresh air. The game is lovingly crafted using bright, welcoming colours and a story line that manages to be genuinely funny while being brilliantly unpredicable. The control scheme is fabulous, I really can't see what people have been complaining about. It isn't overly difficult but not a total breeze either. It will stump you at times, but that is nothing that a little creative thought and a small amount of thinking outside the box won't solve. A brilliant little game, can't praise it enough! Expand
  4. Oct 21, 2012
    The only member of the franchise I can't stand. The gameplay itself works fine, being controlled entirely on the touch screen except when using items. Everything else annoys me, though. The over world is the worst in the franchise, the puzzles were pathetically easy, the music sucks, the Temple of the Ocean King got annoying really fast, and the plot felt like an excuse to play the game.The only member of the franchise I can't stand. The gameplay itself works fine, being controlled entirely on the touch screen except when using items. Everything else annoys me, though. The over world is the worst in the franchise, the puzzles were pathetically easy, the music sucks, the Temple of the Ocean King got annoying really fast, and the plot felt like an excuse to play the game. Probably what annoys me the most, though, is how, while it has good replay value, I have no real incentive to play it. Other Zelda games that I've already experienced gave me a feeling of adventure when I replay them like Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. This one just bores me. In conclusion, it's a functional game, but falls flat just about everywhere else. Expand
  5. JohnnyK.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Awesome zelda game, sweet graphics and control. Defenitely a must-buy
  6. Oct 27, 2010
    This game is almost excellent. It maintains the classic Zelda style and feel, and while most of the dungeons are simplistic, it always feels like a Zelda game. The controls are some of the most intuitive I've ever seen - there was never a question of how anything works, and for the first time in a Zelda game I didn't find myself wasting bombs or arrows because of the imprecise aim.

That

That said, the Temple of the Ocean King is the worst dungeon I have ever played. If I only had to do it once it might be fine, but the game forces players through the same dungeon levels about 10 times through the course of the game. As a point of game design, it is simply awful.
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    When I look at "The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass", im sad of how they could have done better with it. It had great originality, but failed in the lacking quality of gameplay and controls. Enjoyable overall...for the moment.
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    I'm a HUGE Zelda fan, and very accepting as well. But this game was a disappointment. One word, repetitive. The Temple of the Ocean King is the bane of my existence. At least Spirit Tracks got it right by making separate levels in the Tower of Spirits. Music was ehh, except for Linebeck's theme, which is very good. This game also allows you to have, like, four navis. 'Nough said.
  9. DaveH
    Jan 4, 2010
    Just like the review of NintendoWorldReport, I have to agree that this game is rather for 8 year olds rather than zelda veterans, the poor story, poor overworld, dungeons and characters make it the worst zelda game there is. Its a pity that very few publications have the guts to give a Zelda game a mixed or negative review.
  10. RoyD.
    Oct 27, 2007
    The best game on the DS. The use of sylus and mic are refresing. Sometimes frustrating. (Ocean's King Temple) Very innovative.
  11. JCA.
    Oct 2, 2007
    So boring. The levels are cheap, and they never teach you how to defeat the impossible with horrible moves. Now why doesn't Zelda have these moves in the other games?
  12. ChrisC.
    Oct 7, 2007
    The best handheald Zelda game so far, but also the easiest. Great graphics and storyline is what gave the game a 6. No friendly Zoras was a major surprise, and the Gorons seemed to have deproved from LOZTP. The Goron dungeon was the only I enjoyed, as you were able to play as another character during one room and the boss fight. The gossip stones and tablets basicly gave away how to do The best handheald Zelda game so far, but also the easiest. Great graphics and storyline is what gave the game a 6. No friendly Zoras was a major surprise, and the Gorons seemed to have deproved from LOZTP. The Goron dungeon was the only I enjoyed, as you were able to play as another character during one room and the boss fight. The gossip stones and tablets basicly gave away how to do all puzzles, and redoing the Ocean King Temple 5 times was annoying. If your planning on buying a DS but can't decide on a game choose this, as it introduces all features for the DS. Expand
  13. MejaR.
    Oct 9, 2007
    It's very repetitive... eg the Ocean King's Temple ... give me a break... fancy graphics, etc do NOT make a good game. RENT IT and save your $$.
  14. Anonymous
    Jan 3, 2010
    Boring movement throughout the world map, dungeons that a toddler would solve easily, gimmicky control failure, and going through the same dungeon a gazillion times? This the Zelda game you'll wish you DIDN'T buy.
  15. JaredC.
    Oct 2, 2007
    Zelda when she is a baby, and weak, and pethetic, this game is just like that. It misses out on the main story and cliches the slackness of undarkening material. it just doesn't work with all the others.
  16. MiguelM.
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was initially excited about the thought of a Zelda game on the DS, having enjoyed the Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time on my Wii. At first I thought Phantom Hourglass had a lot of potential with an attractive cell shaded art style and surprisingly well Integrated touch screen controls. However, the overall game design is surprisingly terrible. Between every step of the game you are I was initially excited about the thought of a Zelda game on the DS, having enjoyed the Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time on my Wii. At first I thought Phantom Hourglass had a lot of potential with an attractive cell shaded art style and surprisingly well Integrated touch screen controls. However, the overall game design is surprisingly terrible. Between every step of the game you are forced to return to the same dungeon and redo the parts you did before. Way to ruin the pacing and sap the fun out of the game. The ship travel is far too slow and the inability to save in the middle of a dungeon is crippling for a portable game. This game probably would have had some potential if it hadn't shot itself in the foot. Expand
  17. ZvenA
    Sep 4, 2009
    Boring + terrible in a game, wish they would have kept it to the old school style.
  18. LouisB.
    Nov 11, 2007
    There are some good moments with the game, such as the same old zelda formula. But the shaved down world, rehash of the same damn Ocean King Temple, and the half ass controls really disappoint. Playing through the game now, and I have to say the controls are lacking. While you can move great, your hand covers the damn screen. Secondly the movement and swinging the sword with any precision There are some good moments with the game, such as the same old zelda formula. But the shaved down world, rehash of the same damn Ocean King Temple, and the half ass controls really disappoint. Playing through the game now, and I have to say the controls are lacking. While you can move great, your hand covers the damn screen. Secondly the movement and swinging the sword with any precision are simply painful. I cannot mention enough there should be options to use the controls or the stylus. Or at the least the ability to use the D-pad for hot swap option. Dumb. The fact that you cannot move and strike independently is simply stupid. The other problems include the damn timed dungeon that you have to backtrack several times throughout the game. Part of the quest is to find more sand for an hourglass so you can go further in the timed dungeon. Who the hell thought that was fun? Also, I do not like screeming into a handheld device unless I am on the phone with customer support - definitely not while playing a game. All in all, if this were not a Zelda game, I would have given it a lower score. The nolstagia of playing that tried and true formula does count for something. However, the gameplay is lacking. Expand
  19. JakeH.
    Oct 17, 2007
    Horrible game. Too repetitive.
  20. MarkusE.
    Sep 25, 2007
    Dungeons: You have some of the most linear (even more so than TP), generic, and simple dungeons you will ever see in any Zelda game. There _are_ some challenging puzzles in Levels 6 and 7 (think TP Master Sword puzzle difficulty), but for the most part, the dungeons are cake. The "jot down notes on your map" gimmick gets old by the second half of the game. If you want to challenge Dungeons: You have some of the most linear (even more so than TP), generic, and simple dungeons you will ever see in any Zelda game. There _are_ some challenging puzzles in Levels 6 and 7 (think TP Master Sword puzzle difficulty), but for the most part, the dungeons are cake. The "jot down notes on your map" gimmick gets old by the second half of the game. If you want to challenge yourself, try memorization. Dungeons will take an average time of 20-40 minutes each for an unaided first playthrough, making some of the shortest dungeons since the days of ALttP/LA. Game Length and Difficulty: I'd expect an average player to finish in 10-15 hours for an unaided first playthrough, and 20 hours for 100% completion. Veterans of this series should not take more than 10 if they focus on the main quest. The average player will score some gameovers, but nowhere near as many as the early NES/SNES/GB games. This game also takes a giant step backwards from TP in a lot of ways: Dungeon design: Instead of themed dungeons in TP, where each dungeon has a unique gameplay mechanic to remember it by (for example, guiding the statue in the Temple of Time), PH's dungeons are once again generic (Level 3 could have easily been Level 5, and vice versa), linear (even more so than in TP), and almost jokingly easy until near the end. Inventory: There are no new items (i.e. everything is taken from previous LoZ titles). There are two items for which you draw out their flight paths in advance, and for the remaining five, you point your stylus where you want to use the item. Neither is particularly revolutionary or interesting. Stylus controls: Surprisingly, they're not as bad as people make them out to be. You will get used to them by the end of the game. There are occasional annoyances (for example, your hands get sore after long periods of play much more easily), and I can't say that I prefer this scheme to the traditional D-pad/analog stick setup, but it's definitely tolerable. Plot development: Three cutscenes: beginning, middle, and end. No dynamic characters. Story has almost nothing to do with The Wind Waker or the franchise. Tetra has about 10 minutes of on-screen time and you'll get the feeling she was thrown in just for the heck of it. Music: For the first time since ALttP, each dungeon does not have a unique theme. In fact, the same theme, which consists of just 4-6 repeating notes, is used in all eight dungeons, and it gets really annoying fast. Most songs are simply remixes of classic tunes, and in many cases, their quality has been downgraded. For example, the Goron theme from TP got nerfed, and the light world dungeon theme from ALttP was "borrowed" to become a character's theme in PH, and boy, it sounds awful. Other gameplay gripes: You have to return to the Ocean King's Temple [the master dungeon] a grand total of six times, and must restart from the topmost floor (there are 13 basement levels) upon each visit. This becomes an annoyance. Yes, after a few return trips, you will be able to open a checkpoint at the halfway mark, as well as use alternative pathways/puzzle solutions with newly acquired inventory items. Nonetheless, there's still a lot of overlap and repetition (think six return visits), and it gets stale. The time limit is _NEVER_ a problem as long as you remain patient and refrain yourself from taking chances and running into phantom guards. Since there are time bonuses on almost every level of the dungeon, it's actually possible to finish the whole thing with a net time of zero. Verdict: Solid rent for me. The game's strong points are its graphics, boss battles, and multiplayer mode. Everything else is meh. I really think this game is being incredibly overrated by the press. Expand
  21. PhilG
    Mar 21, 2009
    The worst LoZ game yet. Awful graphics and art style, terrible controls (the touch screen is mostly useless), lame story and characters...a poor recap of Wind Waker is all that drops you into the action and leaves you there to struggle with the poorly thought out touch screen controls. For further complaints, check out Zero Punctuation's review. Those were my main ones though.
  22. BabyJ.
    Dec 12, 2007
    The games is one of the worst Zelda games I have ever played. The awkward touch controls have made it the first hand held game that I have yelled and screamed at. It has also made me thrown my DS at the floor in frustration for the first time. I thought it would have just been the beginning of the game I was having trouble with, and that the rest of the game would pick up. No it The games is one of the worst Zelda games I have ever played. The awkward touch controls have made it the first hand held game that I have yelled and screamed at. It has also made me thrown my DS at the floor in frustration for the first time. I thought it would have just been the beginning of the game I was having trouble with, and that the rest of the game would pick up. No it didn't. The timed parts of the same dungeon that you have to keep going back to and do the same thing got repetative the first time I had to do it, not knowing that I was going to have to almost repeat it infinitely. This game also has boring characters that I either I hate or don't care about at all. The sailing is the opposite of fun. The multiplayer uses the worst part of the game and it was something I will never play again. Expand
  23. Oct 15, 2011
    gets the title of the best zelda game to compete with mm, rush out, buy it, cause i cant deny the awesomeness, not as good as dq 9, hgss or layton 3, but i was rly harsh, but this is sensational, so go get out and buy this and spirit tracks!!!

96%
  24. Brevitythat'sright
    Oct 4, 2007
    2 hours in, twice I've though the game was broken - but it was just me not thinking laterally enough. I love it. Good, solid adventure. Will keep you entertained throughout.
  25. MattyM.
    Oct 4, 2007
    This game truly shows off the potential of the DS as a platform, and does the Zelda series the justice it deserves at the same time. The touch-screen is used in so many clever ways that it makes you realize just how much the DS has to offer developers and consumers, and how much room there is left for innovation. If you have a DS, you pretty much need this game.
  26. steveTodoroki
    Sep 3, 2007
    I just cleared the game (Japanese import) and it kept me mostly entertained through the 20 odd hours of gameplay. The touch controls work brilliantly and there are some very inventive uses of the DS for puzzles which perplexed and amazed me.;One puzzle actually requires you to close shut the DS and open it again to merge an image on the bottom screen with the top. My only criticism isI just cleared the game (Japanese import) and it kept me mostly entertained through the 20 odd hours of gameplay. The touch controls work brilliantly and there are some very inventive uses of the DS for puzzles which perplexed and amazed me.;One puzzle actually requires you to close shut the DS and open it again to merge an image on the bottom screen with the top. My only criticism is there is a main dungeon which you have to play through repeatedly and it gets a little bit boring the fifth time you do it. However, it`s easily one of the best portable games I`ve ever played and definitely the best game released on the DS so far. Expand
  27. KaleK
    Jan 6, 2010
    You see the difference between a nintendo fan and a ps3 or xbox360 fan, is that the true nintendo fan is able to look past great graphics quality. The other fans of different consoles get focused on them. Some people say graphics dont make a game and some do. But what really makes a game is good game play, controls and a challenge. And I say this is what phantom hour-glass provides. You see the difference between a nintendo fan and a ps3 or xbox360 fan, is that the true nintendo fan is able to look past great graphics quality. The other fans of different consoles get focused on them. Some people say graphics dont make a game and some do. But what really makes a game is good game play, controls and a challenge. And I say this is what phantom hour-glass provides. However it could be better if it had a journal or something to remember what you last did. Expand
  28. LionelE.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Phantom Hourglass has some very strong aspects. It makes full use of the DS controls in innovative ways (especially the bosses), it manages to create startlingly good graphics with little system power, and it packs a decent amount of game onto a small cartridge. However, it's also quite easy, lacks the typical Zelda side-quest depth and the stylus controls can be a pain for simple Phantom Hourglass has some very strong aspects. It makes full use of the DS controls in innovative ways (especially the bosses), it manages to create startlingly good graphics with little system power, and it packs a decent amount of game onto a small cartridge. However, it's also quite easy, lacks the typical Zelda side-quest depth and the stylus controls can be a pain for simple things like moving or changing items. It also makes the bewildering decision of having users fight through the same dungeon many, many times in the game, slowing it down quite a bit. It's fun and gimmicky, but not as deep as many people suggest. Expand
  29. HenryL.
    Nov 8, 2007
    Very well implemented use of the touch controls, the timed sections are a minor flaw, but not enough to damper my enjoyment with this fantastic game.
  30. S.K.
    Oct 4, 2007
    The 10 is for this game's innovation. I can't believe Nintendo underhyped yet another instant classic (the other being Metroid Prime 3). JC A.: stop being such a Zelda hater. Obviously, you have never played a Zelda game in your life, because the character you control is called Link, not Zelda. Worship whatever game you like, but don't be unfair. Jared C.: I have seen quite The 10 is for this game's innovation. I can't believe Nintendo underhyped yet another instant classic (the other being Metroid Prime 3). JC A.: stop being such a Zelda hater. Obviously, you have never played a Zelda game in your life, because the character you control is called Link, not Zelda. Worship whatever game you like, but don't be unfair. Jared C.: I have seen quite a few of your comments, and you are simply being a Nintendo hater; don't be. Expand
  31. JenniferM.
    Oct 5, 2007
    It is a good Zelda game, but is dog down by imprecise and forced stylus control. The puzzles are too easy and the dungeon design a bit bland when compared to other Zelda games, even Minish Cap.Graphics are nice but no match to 2D sprites. Hardcore Zelda fans will find the easy dungeons to be a massive disappointment, where as Nintendo fanboys will probably just lap it up.
  32. Ashogo
    Oct 5, 2007
    A brilliant Zelda game which takes full advantage of everything the ds has to offer. It's really amazing to see how the developers have implemented so many new ideas into the game to make all the old stuff feel fresh again. And the graphics are beautiful, so your eyes won't be bleeding as you play through the adventure(unlike some other ds games...)Controls feel tight and A brilliant Zelda game which takes full advantage of everything the ds has to offer. It's really amazing to see how the developers have implemented so many new ideas into the game to make all the old stuff feel fresh again. And the graphics are beautiful, so your eyes won't be bleeding as you play through the adventure(unlike some other ds games...)Controls feel tight and responsive. The story is also surprisingly interesting and driving, and to cap it all off Phantom Hourglass features a simple but extremely addictive battle mode which can be played competitively against a friend or anyone worldwide through wi-fi. My biggest complaint is that the game is over too quickly, but you can't have it all I guess. Expand
  33. iTrike
    Oct 5, 2007
    I've enjoyed the Zelda franchise for years and, like many, thought it was a perfect fit for the DS. Coupled with pre-release hyperbole, I was expecting to have the definitive DS experience with this game. Nope. It's a good game, but its simplicity, been-there-done-that familiarity, and the fact that seasoned DS gamers are no longer wowed by stylus-driven gameplay, makes it less I've enjoyed the Zelda franchise for years and, like many, thought it was a perfect fit for the DS. Coupled with pre-release hyperbole, I was expecting to have the definitive DS experience with this game. Nope. It's a good game, but its simplicity, been-there-done-that familiarity, and the fact that seasoned DS gamers are no longer wowed by stylus-driven gameplay, makes it less than stellar. Ultimately, PH is an enjoyable game that doesn Expand
  34. RobertP.
    Oct 5, 2007
    One of the best handhelds Zelda games ever. The Stylus controls feel like a breeze and the graphics and sound are superb.
  35. PeterH.
    Oct 7, 2007
    I thought this was a great game, the lack of difficulty is probably a sign of the times, and to be honest suits my concentration span.
  36. KeithR.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Awesome game, had to play till end. One of the first games played for DS that I couldn't put down.
  37. uwepoll
    Aug 15, 2007
    [Rating based on Japanese import] Phantom Hourglass is not only the best handheld Zelda ever, it's the best Zelda game, full stop. It controls perfectly with the stylus and oozes the same undeniable charm and character as The Wind Waker, and it delivers the same wonderful sensation that anything could happen when you set off on your ship to a new island. Fortunately, sailing is[Rating based on Japanese import] Phantom Hourglass is not only the best handheld Zelda ever, it's the best Zelda game, full stop. It controls perfectly with the stylus and oozes the same undeniable charm and character as The Wind Waker, and it delivers the same wonderful sensation that anything could happen when you set off on your ship to a new island. Fortunately, sailing is automatic after plotting your course and the sea is never as endless and empty as was the case in the Wind Waker. The game also feels much better paced than any of its predecessors with barely any dull, longwinded tasks or pointless collectibles. It feels like they pitched everything right and delivered, for once, a fairly short, but nearly perfectly formed Zelda game. Phantom Hourglass is bound to enthrall all with its myriad of imaginative puzzles and battles that utilize the DS better than any game on the system before it. Expand
  38. ChristopherP.
    Jan 5, 2008
    I really loved this game... Link comes back once again in a brand new adventure which mixes mechanics of old with a revolutionary new combat system, and entertaining new characters! Easily accessible, it could very much be your first game in the series and you'd love it just as much.
  39. RT
    Jan 8, 2008
    Fun and innovative, this is one of the best games I've ever played on my DS. Link is cute as a button, but also a multi-talented warrior due to the numerous tools he is given, most of which you will recognize from the earlier games. The game designers thought deeply about every detail of the game from the use of the stylus, to the character actions (Link tapping the earth down with Fun and innovative, this is one of the best games I've ever played on my DS. Link is cute as a button, but also a multi-talented warrior due to the numerous tools he is given, most of which you will recognize from the earlier games. The game designers thought deeply about every detail of the game from the use of the stylus, to the character actions (Link tapping the earth down with his foot after filling a hole is perfect!), to just thinking of something new. I agree with others that the Temple of the Ocean King is a real thorn in the side, and one of the weakest parts of the game. I don't mind returning there over and over again. I do mind spending time WAITING. If this were a console game, it wouldn't be so bad, but with a portable game, you want small segments you can complete "in between." That is, on the train to work, on your lunch break, etc. Perhaps the shortcuts they offered could have been more aggressive, allowing you to pass through an entire floor you had previously passed through by opening a new passageway with a recently acquired tool, or a special token from someone you helped since the last time you'd been there. This trouble aside, the rest of the play can be addictive. The Battle Mode is fun without requiring too much explanation for someone who has never played before. I recommend this game wholeheartedly, even with some of the drawbacks. It will become a favorite! Expand
  40. Skidmarks
    Mar 20, 2008
    Great game. First Zelda I've bothered to finish in a while. Loved the controls. Perhaps a little easy, but fun through-out and I got many hours out of it.
  41. KE
    May 11, 2008
    This is the only Zelda game I have ever played and it was epic. At first try it can be a bit hard though, but overall it's just wonderful.
  42. GiancarloG.
    Aug 24, 2008
    its a great game with very fun puzzles often unexplained though. the fighting the monsters is not the best part of the game. but struggling through the puzzles. I've read some reviews and i agree they should put a save feature in the dungeons and having to back track is annoying. the same dungeon does get a little bit boring. but the funny storyline is entertaining. great game and its a great game with very fun puzzles often unexplained though. the fighting the monsters is not the best part of the game. but struggling through the puzzles. I've read some reviews and i agree they should put a save feature in the dungeons and having to back track is annoying. the same dungeon does get a little bit boring. but the funny storyline is entertaining. great game and I'm looking forward to finishing it. oh yea the salvage arm gets wrecked a lot and we always have to go back and forth to mercay. build on every island for pete's sake!! good job guys we need another zelda DS game. Expand
  43. JoshC
    Sep 30, 2008
    This Zelda was a lot of fun. They did a good job with utilizing the dual screens and using the stylus. The dungeon that you have to revisit multiple times got old and sailing everywhere got really annoying.
  44. JesseR
    Jan 18, 2010
    When Phantom Hourglass broke onto the scene I was a bit skeptic of how great another ocean-roaming Zelda could be, but after playing through it I really enjoyed it. While it can be a bit simple at times and the array of items isn
  45. ChandlerG.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Amazingly addictive and one of the most interactive games ever. No button usage may be strange at first, but then it all starts come into view what Nintendo is succeeding at doing, this is the next generation in gaming. If I had the option of using buttons, my eyes wouldn't be open to Nintendo's vision. And its a damn fine vision at that.
  46. KevinC.
    Nov 4, 2007
    One of the best games for the DS. However, it's a bit too short, easy, and repetitive. The ocean king's temple (the only temple you have to revisit) takes only 15 or so minutes on each run, so it isn't too bad. The sailing was fun for awhile, but got boring after a couple of trips. But hey, it was like that in wind waker, too, and there are tons of cyclones in PH, unlike One of the best games for the DS. However, it's a bit too short, easy, and repetitive. The ocean king's temple (the only temple you have to revisit) takes only 15 or so minutes on each run, so it isn't too bad. The sailing was fun for awhile, but got boring after a couple of trips. But hey, it was like that in wind waker, too, and there are tons of cyclones in PH, unlike wind waker, which greatly shortens the traveling time. Plus, the refreshing new usage of the DS screen takes, at most, a couple of minutes to get used to, and is quite fun to use. However, I would hope to see a better story (PH's story sucked... really bad), longer dungeons (The average dungeon was about... 20 minutes long, first time through), and a LARGE increase in difficulty (Stone tablets and Ciela, your fairy, give you all the information you need for... everything?). I did like the minigames, though, but there weren't enough prizes to keep you entertained (There's only... 16 hearts? And... they don't come in pieces? Only heart containers?) All in all, Phantom Hourglass is a pretty fun and decent game, if you don't mind a couple of minutes of repetition. Expand
  47. AndrewM.
    Nov 8, 2007
    Reverting back to hand held from the PC with this game is the best thing I've done. Refreshing, quirky, addictive fun...
  48. Proggy
    Oct 2, 2007
    Don´t bother to read de cheap reviews of new gamers (Jc, Jared, Markus / maybe PSP fans ), it´s fun, great and with innovations for the franchise. Buy it and enjoy it. The Best Handheld game to date and of course for the DS...Good Job Nintendo !!!
  49. Xarshale
    Dec 9, 2007
    Great game, and worth every penny, its ONLY flaw is the Temple of the Ocean king which must be repeated. Controls are spot on, the cannon works spot on in the sea, and the sword fighting and item usage is easy, with the screen moving with a ranged weapon. The stuff of win, if you have a DS, GET IT!
  50. JoshHair
    Oct 3, 2007
    *shrugs* there's one reason I stick with professional reviews, and that reason is this: most gamers are morons. There is little reason to not believe this. You'll find that the average user review is a few paragraphs, at best, and generally consists of the most vapid and unspecified language imaginable.

Is it interesting that most users generally disregard comparable games and

Is it interesting that most users generally disregard comparable games and will give a bad score solely based on how they are feeling, or simply because they think the press is over-rating it? There's very little honesty among the average user, which is why they'll never become full-fledged professional or, for that matter, a part of my consideration in a game purchase.
  51. MikeD.
    Oct 3, 2007
    A great game, innovative in so many ways, and worth of the Zelda name.
  52. SeanP.
    Oct 3, 2007
    You are all weird. What were you expecting? A freaking 360 game. Its beautiful, fun and engaging. Sure dungeons may seem a little linear but that is probably because they give you a really good map system. Its awesome fun and very gorgeous. Also if you didn't like it fine but it doesn't deserve those low scores. Most likely it's the same whiny person. The lowest it should You are all weird. What were you expecting? A freaking 360 game. Its beautiful, fun and engaging. Sure dungeons may seem a little linear but that is probably because they give you a really good map system. Its awesome fun and very gorgeous. Also if you didn't like it fine but it doesn't deserve those low scores. Most likely it's the same whiny person. The lowest it should get is like a 7 because you just can't deny quality. Expand
  53. AndrewS.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Great game overflowing with innovative gameplay. From the mic, the puzzles, the variety, and simply the way you control Link, it all flows. While I find the dungeons too short, and the bosses to easy, it's all overshadowed by the greatness of this game. Even the at first seemingly unsubstancial multiplayer grows on you. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten from me is the Great game overflowing with innovative gameplay. From the mic, the puzzles, the variety, and simply the way you control Link, it all flows. While I find the dungeons too short, and the bosses to easy, it's all overshadowed by the greatness of this game. Even the at first seemingly unsubstancial multiplayer grows on you. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten from me is the fact that it's just a tad too casual for my tastes. Other than that this is, without a doubt, the best DS game out at this point. 2 thumbs up! Expand
  54. Phu
    Sep 17, 2007
    The game makes complete use of the DS hardware capabilities and is in itself a full Zelda experience.
  55. V
    Jan 14, 2008
    wow i just have to say some people ae nerds when it comes to playing zelda ex: Markus. This game overall is innovative and fun to play, and give the graphics some credit its DS for Christ sake, and just for the record all Zelda games are the same if u think about it.
  56. SandraB.
    Jan 16, 2008
    A wonderful mix of old and new stuff from the Zelda series. Surpassed my expectations!
  57. Matt
    Jan 18, 2008
    By and large one of the most accessible Zelda games. In what was mostly a dismal year for the DS, Zelda stands out as one of the must-own titles in the DS library.
  58. Pushkin
    Jan 7, 2008
    Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I have missed out on (skipped out that generation of console), so any references to the storyline or characters from that game are lost on me. However, I still found the storyline weak (being turned to stone = Minish Cap). This was my main complaint with the game. Zelda has always been attractive to me for its characters and plot; this game seemed to lack Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I have missed out on (skipped out that generation of console), so any references to the storyline or characters from that game are lost on me. However, I still found the storyline weak (being turned to stone = Minish Cap). This was my main complaint with the game. Zelda has always been attractive to me for its characters and plot; this game seemed to lack poorly in both. It took me almost an hour to get fully used to the stylus controls (had trouble pulling switches, getting Link to run enough to jump platforms) and I still have trouble remembering to put my selected item away before trying to swipe the sword, but apart from that the controls make good use of the DS's capabilites and is easilly the best game I have that allows me to really USE the DS. I'd still recommend it for buying, but wait until it's on offer, or trade in once you've completed it as there is little else to do once you've completed the main quest. Expand
  59. RickyT.
    Apr 21, 2008
    Best game I have played on the DS so far - manages fairly decent gameplay AND makes use of the touch screen ot great effect, is hard to find a game that manages both. Reading other people's comments make me laugh - some people are complaining that the dungeons are too short whilst others are complaining you can't save halfway through! The DS is a handheld system not a full Best game I have played on the DS so far - manages fairly decent gameplay AND makes use of the touch screen ot great effect, is hard to find a game that manages both. Reading other people's comments make me laugh - some people are complaining that the dungeons are too short whilst others are complaining you can't save halfway through! The DS is a handheld system not a full console - you're not meant to sit and play for hours on end solid, its meant to be something to pick up and play whilst on the train or bus for a short time hence short levels and relatively short game. I'm not a fan of cell shading so for me that is a detraction on the graphics, but for others its a plus. Would have liked more puzzles thrown in rather than 'fetch the clue and we'll tell you the exact answer', I really liked the puzzle in the Ocean Temple to ge the Seel, a few more curve balls like this would have made the game even better Expand
  60. DillanR.
    May 5, 2008
    The innovation of this game, with its unique stylus dependant controls makes it completely new, and possibly one of the best games on the DS platform right now.
  61. ScottyP
    Jun 29, 2008
    Some games just tickle you don't they? For me Phantom Hourglass was a blast to play and was a breezy joy to waltz through. Great grahics and some fun characterization ( ever met a Transvestite Mermaid in a paddling pool before ? !!). Link remains as endearing as ever and is his personality is heightened by the great graphics and interface. The stylus is superb, tho' you can find Some games just tickle you don't they? For me Phantom Hourglass was a blast to play and was a breezy joy to waltz through. Great grahics and some fun characterization ( ever met a Transvestite Mermaid in a paddling pool before ? !!). Link remains as endearing as ever and is his personality is heightened by the great graphics and interface. The stylus is superb, tho' you can find a quarter of the screen obscured by your hand on too many occasions. It has a mixed bag of mini games that can happily take up your time such as fishing and trawling, however they are far too easy. Other games are simply add ons ( sea based archery anyone?? thought not ). The plot here is basic and childlike and those looking for a deep experience will have to go somewhere else. This isn't the only issue. The game is easy and very short and it doesn't present you with particularly inventive puzzling. Also, many of your items come far too late in the game for you to fully explore. Overall the characterization is the saver here - Linebeck, the dopefiend captain is often on hand to slack off and add some foppish wit to proceedings. As is his ex flame Jolene who's attempts to chase him down reveals a more adult theme for the older gamer. This is a personal score of 91% for me. I was sad to say goodbye when it finished, and this may be due to the relaxed and satisfying ending. Expand
  62. ChrisG
    Aug 26, 2008
    It is really, really good. But it still follows that basic Zelda formula, and forcing you to repeat that same sodding stealth dungeon several times over is undeniably frustrating (though unfortunately where the whole "phantom hourglass" idea comes into play...). That repetition grinds against the innovation and sort of blemishes the game. But still, as I said: it is really, really good.
  63. GeorgeS.
    Aug 29, 2008
    A great game. It's very challenging and the multiplayer is even better that I expected. It's even better if you have wi-fi.
  64. TomC
    Jun 26, 2009
    My main problem with this game is the temple of the ocean king, this very boring dungeon was clearly mad so that it made the game seem longer without having to make any more proper dungeons. So yeah The rest was quite enjoyable, so yeah not a bad game but definitely not as amazing as some people make out.
  65. JoshG.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Something new and fun, even if I would've liked to be able to move using the D-pad.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Far and wide the best Adventure game for the DS. A must have.
  67. DrMissile
    Nov 23, 2007
    I certainly can appreciate the appeal of this game. By and large, it is very well crafted both functionally and aesthetically and there are some very fun moments. However, the repetitive design of the Ocean King's Temple is, in my opinion a deal breaker. It is a cynical and egregious ploy to draw out play time, Far far more offensive than the old "change a monster's color and I certainly can appreciate the appeal of this game. By and large, it is very well crafted both functionally and aesthetically and there are some very fun moments. However, the repetitive design of the Ocean King's Temple is, in my opinion a deal breaker. It is a cynical and egregious ploy to draw out play time, Far far more offensive than the old "change a monster's color and name" trick to save on production cost. From the very first time entering the temple until the very end of the game, the core game play is boring drudgery. Painful, dreaded, awful. it's a chore. I would prefer having to watch a 20 minute status bar with a new piece sea chart at the end. That the enemies are invincible and your character is utterly neutered by this fact is bad enough, but having to replay the same levels over and over and over and over and over is, from a game design perspective, utterly pathetic. So, to the team of developers that let this happen. Shame on you. You know its crap, everyone knows it's crap. Go be accountants. Expand
  68. Dr.Dog
    Nov 25, 2007
    I CANNOT BELIEVE some of the critiscisms people have of this game namely: 1) The sailing is boring 2) The Ocean King's Temple is repetative. In my mind you have to be quite creatively depressing to bring those things to light. First of all, needless sailing around can be skipped with the golden frog warp which you do quite early on. For me, this kind of aimless wandering is I CANNOT BELIEVE some of the critiscisms people have of this game namely: 1) The sailing is boring 2) The Ocean King's Temple is repetative. In my mind you have to be quite creatively depressing to bring those things to light. First of all, needless sailing around can be skipped with the golden frog warp which you do quite early on. For me, this kind of aimless wandering is indicitive of this whole genre. For example, think how much time you waste just holding down the A button when playing RPG/Final Fantasy games to build up your stats. For me, the comparatively short time you have to spend sailing about is NO PROBLEM! Secondly, I actually liked trying to do the Temple and cut my time down and finding secret treasure chests. Thought it was very clever how someone sat down and designed a single dungeon that can only be slowly opened up as you discover new items. Maybe it's just me??? As far as the control mechanism is concered I loved how they stuck to their guns using only the stylus. There's actually one skeleton in the Temple who makes a reference to all those people who moaned about there being no d-pad controls - nice tongue in cheek swipe at you miserable sods!!! This game was OUTSTANDING from start to finish! Thank you to anyone in the development team at Nintendo!!! Expand
  69. KevinR.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Superb visuals, an interesting story, and a brilliant control scheme add up to another great portable entry into the Zelda universe. If only it were a little more difficult.
  70. Andrew
    Dec 25, 2007
    This game is not the game of the century, but it is a fun game. The touch controls take a while to get used to, and can be annoying, but they aren't too bad. You do have to go to one temple many times over the course of the game, and there are invincible enemies, but you eventually get an item that can damage them. Sailing is not as simple as drawing a line to your destination and This game is not the game of the century, but it is a fun game. The touch controls take a while to get used to, and can be annoying, but they aren't too bad. You do have to go to one temple many times over the course of the game, and there are invincible enemies, but you eventually get an item that can damage them. Sailing is not as simple as drawing a line to your destination and waiting. You will be attacked, and can die easily if you don't pay attention. But if you are attentive, you can easily earn rupees from enemies. And after a certain point in the game, you can warp to six different parts of the sea. I'd say more about it, but I'm barely at that point. Most of my info is from guides I read. If you own a DS, you should get this game. It is easily worth $34.99. Expand
  71. JohnS.
    Dec 25, 2007
    This is easily the worst Zelda game I've ever played. I don't mind the stylus controls, my biggest complaint is the fact that your hand covers most of the screen which is especially annoying while fighting some bosses. The first thing that annoyed me was the bad graphics with ugly character models and drab olive green/brown environments everywhere. The shockingly simplistic This is easily the worst Zelda game I've ever played. I don't mind the stylus controls, my biggest complaint is the fact that your hand covers most of the screen which is especially annoying while fighting some bosses. The first thing that annoyed me was the bad graphics with ugly character models and drab olive green/brown environments everywhere. The shockingly simplistic dungeons and overworld sections and the dreadful timed stealth sections which must be repeated umpteen times eventually made me stop playing. There are some decent parts to the game but for every one I ran into another annoyance such as a certain enemy which turns sailing into a chore later on; even Minish Cap destroys this game in my opinion. I advise everyone to try this game before buying, they might just be as disappointed as I am. Expand
  72. AnonymousMC
    Dec 29, 2007
    It was a brillliant game, and i thought that the controls were brilliant however, the trade in price was extremely frustrating as it has no replay value. Very disappionted with teh reuse of the temple of the ocean king, what was the point in the making of the whole game if you repeat the same thing all the time.
  73. AdamO.
    Dec 31, 2007
    After a three years of waiting for a Zelda DS game, I'm happy to report that Phantom Hourglass delivers an excellent experience, despite some awkward flaws. To get the bad parts out of the way, the game is somewhat shorter than what you would expect from this series. Also, whenever you beat a temple, you have to return to a temple on your home island and go through each floor of the After a three years of waiting for a Zelda DS game, I'm happy to report that Phantom Hourglass delivers an excellent experience, despite some awkward flaws. To get the bad parts out of the way, the game is somewhat shorter than what you would expect from this series. Also, whenever you beat a temple, you have to return to a temple on your home island and go through each floor of the temple as you progress throughout the game. This temple definitely has some genius puzzles, but why should we have to repeat parts of it 3 or 4 times. Despite those problems, this is a must-have in any DS library, and for many reasons. The game sets the bar for amazing production value in DS games, with silky smooth 3-D animation and cinematics. While the DS' speakers are less than stellar, the classic music and sound effects sound surprisingly clean and pleasant. But the real highlight of the game is the touch-screen only controls, and it works almost perfectly, only a little unresponsive during intense sword fights. Boss fights are also some of the most innovative I've seen on any system. It's may not be the best the series has to offer, but sets a new standard for DS games. Expand
  74. HouseS.
    Sep 28, 2007
    Wonderful art direction. The touch screen controls work really great. this is the best handheld game since Link's Awakening DX
  75. LinkRocks
    Feb 22, 2008
    Now this is an impressive game! I'm so glad to see yet another Zelda game turn out to be such a masterpiece. This is certainly one of my favorite game in the Zelda franchise and I will tell you exactly why. While the graphics may not be amazing, they are still quite beautiful. Just because they do not look extremely realistic doesn't mean they are bad. The controls are possibly Now this is an impressive game! I'm so glad to see yet another Zelda game turn out to be such a masterpiece. This is certainly one of my favorite game in the Zelda franchise and I will tell you exactly why. While the graphics may not be amazing, they are still quite beautiful. Just because they do not look extremely realistic doesn't mean they are bad. The controls are possibly one of the most incredible things about Phantom Hourglass. The stylus based controls are very, very fun to use. I can easily see why Nintendo Power gave this the handheld Game of the Year award. All DS owners must own this game. This is probably the best game that is and will ever be released on the DS. Expand
  76. AaronM
    Jul 11, 2008
    Not bad at all, but it would have been MUCH better if it didn't make you redo the same dungeon so many times.
  77. PatrickC.l
    Jul 21, 2008
    Quite a good game. It's the first game of this type for me, and I wasn't sure I'd like a story-driven game. If I hadn't bought a strategy guide (walkthrough) to go with it, I might've been stuck and frustrated with this one, but as it is, I had great fun. Lots of interesting challenges and a cohesive storyline. Some complain about having to return to a particular Quite a good game. It's the first game of this type for me, and I wasn't sure I'd like a story-driven game. If I hadn't bought a strategy guide (walkthrough) to go with it, I might've been stuck and frustrated with this one, but as it is, I had great fun. Lots of interesting challenges and a cohesive storyline. Some complain about having to return to a particular temple again and again, but that didn't bother me; I liked the mix of familiarity and newness. Expand
  78. Seananonymous
    Sep 11, 2008
    Game made me a fan of the series. The only word i can use to describe the game is amazing.
  79. IumiV.
    Nov 23, 2007
    The gameplay is so new and different - and still functional. Moving Link at times can be frustrating but Zelda DS really opens so much potential for using touchscreen controls for action games. Plus attacks with the stylus seem so much more lively and interactive than twitches of the thumb. While the plot itself is fairly simple, the game does a good job of character development: Link The gameplay is so new and different - and still functional. Moving Link at times can be frustrating but Zelda DS really opens so much potential for using touchscreen controls for action games. Plus attacks with the stylus seem so much more lively and interactive than twitches of the thumb. While the plot itself is fairly simple, the game does a good job of character development: Link doesn't have a single word of dialogue, yet you have a strong feel for who he is in this game. The tongue-in-cheek Linebeck and the obsessive-for-obsessiveness' sake Jolene are also hilarious characters with depth and humanity. In great literature, plot is rarely the predominant literary technique - character development is most often the clinching factor in great writing. In summary, the advances Phantom Hourglass makes in controls and character development are performed so well that you don't even realize what huge steps and innovations are being made in this quiet, small, yet powerful gaming masterpiece. Expand
  80. AnneC.
    Nov 24, 2007
    I was really excited about getting this game due to the universally great reviews it got but when I finally bought it and played it, it was a let down. There were several things that annoyed me and even though it had some good things they weren't enough for me.
  81. Aug 24, 2010
    So imaginative for such a limited handheld! Blowing into the mic, the slate as porting, drawing to open doors and most of all the items you get to use and what you do with them in the dungeons are, again, really imaginative. The game is on the easy side (like for the kids) and you really can do without the side-quests as it doesn't really help you to finish the game so in a sense it isSo imaginative for such a limited handheld! Blowing into the mic, the slate as porting, drawing to open doors and most of all the items you get to use and what you do with them in the dungeons are, again, really imaginative. The game is on the easy side (like for the kids) and you really can do without the side-quests as it doesn't really help you to finish the game so in a sense it is unbalanced, and I HATED the Ocean Temple revisits with a passion (or as much as I could muster), but overall I still give this game a nine+, just because it was done on a really limited DS. Expand
  82. Jun 9, 2011
    Sequel to Windwaker, my personal favorite game ever, Phantom Hourglass is a good game but a sudden step down from the perfected formula Ocarina and Windwaker had. Good points; great controls and is completely comfortable with the DS stylus and still had the humor and charm Windwaker had. Bad points; Way, way, way too easy - pretty much the easiest Zelda game ever, forgettable story and tooSequel to Windwaker, my personal favorite game ever, Phantom Hourglass is a good game but a sudden step down from the perfected formula Ocarina and Windwaker had. Good points; great controls and is completely comfortable with the DS stylus and still had the humor and charm Windwaker had. Bad points; Way, way, way too easy - pretty much the easiest Zelda game ever, forgettable story and too short, even for a handheld. Expand
  83. Oct 4, 2010
    This is a great- first- run for a Zelda DS title! I love that they continued the story from Wind Waker. The gameplay is very unique for a DS title and it's humor is wonderful. The graphics are very impressive and the music is very well done.

The only problem I have with the title is the whole hourglass concept. The later dungeons can get pretty tedious while you race against time to get to the boss.
  84. Oct 22, 2010
    What I have to say, is this game is awesome. The game is exiting and great for entertainment. A problem though, is that this game is really puzzle-ish, and so you might have to find a walk-through.

This one might help: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/843/843071p1.html

There is also a place where you have to go a LOt, and it gets boring after a while.
  85. Jan 4, 2011
    Although Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is great as a whole there are some minor issues that I had with the game that really hurt the experience. I was not pleased with being forced to use the stylus for movement and actions as it makes some situations like boss battles and enemy swarms a real pain to deal with, was it that much of a chore to make an alternate d-Pad and buttons controlAlthough Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is great as a whole there are some minor issues that I had with the game that really hurt the experience. I was not pleased with being forced to use the stylus for movement and actions as it makes some situations like boss battles and enemy swarms a real pain to deal with, was it that much of a chore to make an alternate d-Pad and buttons control scheme? Another thing that annoyed me was the abuse of the Hourglass Temple and Sailing gimmicks which take up most of the game. The story, music, and overall game mechanics are great in my opinion but the map design can be kind of awkward in some places. The dungeons are more or less absurdly easy to navigate and bosses are simple to take down usually by a key item you found in the dungeon it was in. There are a bunch of goodies and powers to hunt for and even a Wifi capture the flag minigame that can be played both wirelessly and over Wifi. It is a good game but has flaws in some areas. Expand
  86. Apr 10, 2012
    Although initially charming, fun and easy to play, Phantom Hourglass soon degenerates into frustration. This is due to the unintuitive control method. In heated battles, it is very difficult to select a weapon (such as a boomerang) and then draw an attack course with the stylus. By the time you have done so, the target has already moved out of the way. It's a control scheme so annoyingAlthough initially charming, fun and easy to play, Phantom Hourglass soon degenerates into frustration. This is due to the unintuitive control method. In heated battles, it is very difficult to select a weapon (such as a boomerang) and then draw an attack course with the stylus. By the time you have done so, the target has already moved out of the way. It's a control scheme so annoying that it out-right kills the game for me, and I just can't continue past a certain point. That is a real shame because when it isn't murdering it's own combat system, Phantom Hourglass is good fun. Expand
  87. Jan 28, 2011
    The first Zelda game I' ve ever finished and I feel so great doing it. The audio, characters, story, the puzzles... everything is so well done and they are so perfectly together!!!

I am anxious to play Spirit Tracks and I started playing Twilight Princess because of this great game.
  88. Mar 12, 2012
    Does Phantom Hourglass could be the best Zelda game made ? Nope , not at all . Nintendo at least, managed to capture the essence of the console versions but fails a little to make it ideal. The puzzles are one of the best made yet . But I'm not falling for that because it isn't that great the touch screen ( in this game ) is not responsive and the world doesn't feel compelling. I'm sureDoes Phantom Hourglass could be the best Zelda game made ? Nope , not at all . Nintendo at least, managed to capture the essence of the console versions but fails a little to make it ideal. The puzzles are one of the best made yet . But I'm not falling for that because it isn't that great the touch screen ( in this game ) is not responsive and the world doesn't feel compelling. I'm sure the other Portable Zelda games are much better and more appealing . Still, the story is passable and neat for DS owners. Expand
  89. May 9, 2011
    The all-touch interface has pretty much been perfected the first time around with this - my mom has always wanted to play an epic adventure game, but never could handle the 3D movement and graphics of Ocarina of Time. She's used to her iPhone, though, so when I handed her this the touch-only controls worked perfectly for her! She's really excited to play it now. It's fairly easy as far asThe all-touch interface has pretty much been perfected the first time around with this - my mom has always wanted to play an epic adventure game, but never could handle the 3D movement and graphics of Ocarina of Time. She's used to her iPhone, though, so when I handed her this the touch-only controls worked perfectly for her! She's really excited to play it now. It's fairly easy as far as Zeldas go, but it's really enjoyable the whole way through, and being able to draw on your map adds a whole new dimension to the dungeons (not to mention how awesome the dual-screen boss fights are). Yeah, you have to redo one temple a bunch of times, but as you gain new abilities you find new items and learn how to bypass whole sections - it provides a fun sense of your progress in abilities. A great and epic adventure! Expand
  90. May 27, 2011
    I found this game when I was browsing Target for a game I could play with my stylus since my D-Pad was broken. I picked up and bought this, and it was a BLAST to play. Slashing with Link's trusty sword felt smoother then ever with the stylus, and impressive graphics touch this game off nicely.
  91. Dec 5, 2011
    Great game overall, but one of the worst Zelda games (in a good way). The story is very nice, but the lack of side quests, make it a very short game. Zelda games are known for their gameplay, and this game is no exception. The unique controls really show off what the DS can do.
  92. Apr 2, 2012
    This game had big shoes to fill because its a sequel to Wind Waker. This game is not as good as wind waker because of the control interface, but it has decent puzzles and story.
  93. Nov 30, 2011
    This game has a neat story, great characters, and makes creative use of the DS system, but I didn't find it enjoyable and it was not what I have come to expect from the Zelda name. The controls were very annoying, and the dungeons were boring. The sailing in this game doesn't feel like exploration and you're constantly bombarded by pointless enemies. While I can see why people love thisThis game has a neat story, great characters, and makes creative use of the DS system, but I didn't find it enjoyable and it was not what I have come to expect from the Zelda name. The controls were very annoying, and the dungeons were boring. The sailing in this game doesn't feel like exploration and you're constantly bombarded by pointless enemies. While I can see why people love this game, I just couldn't get into it. Expand
  94. Apr 5, 2012
    Not too bad, but far from impressive. Whoever thought that visiting Temple of the Ocean King not once, not twice, but five freaking times was a good idea, needs to be slapped in the face.
  95. sLm
    Jul 4, 2012
    Awesome game. Very original in the use of stylus, good graphics, and many laughs at characters. The worst part was the last temple, which you have to repeat several times to give meaning to the "Hourglass" thing. When I was at half the floors of the temple, my Hourglass timer was already to 0:00, and my hearts became my new timer from then to the end of the game, using the respawningAwesome game. Very original in the use of stylus, good graphics, and many laughs at characters. The worst part was the last temple, which you have to repeat several times to give meaning to the "Hourglass" thing. When I was at half the floors of the temple, my Hourglass timer was already to 0:00, and my hearts became my new timer from then to the end of the game, using the respawning vessels to fulfill my health bar and go on through the temple while I got hurt. But as a whole, it's a fantastic game, showing the power of DS at its highest point. Buy it if you have one. Expand
  96. Aug 23, 2012
    Played this game non-stop until I 100% the game. Only things I did not like was the slow sailing and the time it took to get through the phantoms in the Temple of the Ocean King.
  97. Feb 8, 2013
    An amazing game in many respects, but there is one design decision which just ruins the game for me. The game controls great, is lengthy, the world has an amazing wind waker feel and makes use of all the DS's abilities. The dungeons are also all great EXCEPT the temple of the ocean king. This dungeon ruins the game for me and not in the way that many people hate the water temple in OOT,An amazing game in many respects, but there is one design decision which just ruins the game for me. The game controls great, is lengthy, the world has an amazing wind waker feel and makes use of all the DS's abilities. The dungeons are also all great EXCEPT the temple of the ocean king. This dungeon ruins the game for me and not in the way that many people hate the water temple in OOT, the reason I hate this dungeon is that you have to visit it multiple times doing the same floors each time with a few extra at the end. This made me give up near the end as the time limit and frustrating gameplay made me pull my hair out. It's frustrating as other than this the game is perfect Expand
  98. Sep 28, 2013
    This game was a continuation of a game I had never played, but I did know the lore of. The story was light, but enough to make me want to keep playing. The characterization was lively and i could actually feel the characters grow on me a bit as I watched them grow. I didn't like being forced to only use the touch screen rather than have the option of being able to use the D-pad. The artThis game was a continuation of a game I had never played, but I did know the lore of. The story was light, but enough to make me want to keep playing. The characterization was lively and i could actually feel the characters grow on me a bit as I watched them grow. I didn't like being forced to only use the touch screen rather than have the option of being able to use the D-pad. The art and music is what is at least expected from the Zelda series. Ultimately, I did have fun with it, but I probably wouldn't replay it because of the more annoying parts, like the Sea King's temple, which forces you to repeat past floors each time.
    Music: 8
    Art: 8
    Story: 7
    Gameplay: 7
  99. Jun 16, 2014
    wen i in da field of africa and i travel 2 da america i wish i can se dah zeldo. wen i travel 2 da america i ask for da zeldo and dey giv me dis. now i vary hapy an i bring dis gam bac 2 africa. it was best gam of mah life oder than rhino hunting. but soon giraffe eat it now i sad
  100. Nov 23, 2014
    Awesome game.... My first Zelda game. What a way to get introduced to the series. Controls for the ds are superb. Easy to get into for ask first timers.

1. There are many excellent games on the DS but few masterpieces. This one, though, is a masterpiece. And worth every penny you'll pay for it. [JPN Import]
  2. 20 of the finest gaming hours of the year. [Dec 2007, p.42]
  3. It's a game that should be seen from start to finish, if only to witness some of the finest level and puzzle concoctions ever to grace a Zelda game and, without question, the finest single-player experience to grace the DS. [JPN Import; Sept 2007, p.68] Hourglass drips quality and innovation, no DS owner should be without it. [Dec 2007, p.62]