The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks DS

7.9

1. Jan 20, 2012
    A nice game, with controls and visuals that suit the DS well. The boring part about it though is that is too easy, suppose its target audience is kids around 7-8 years old, because nearly every puzzle has an obvious solution. Also, the story is a joke (unless you are about 7-8 years old or younger...).
  2. DaveH
    Dec 7, 2009
    It is basically a remake of Phantom Hourglass, the previous Zelda DS game, it is not worth buying if you're over 12.
  3. Gannon
    Jan 24, 2010
    A so-so game, but the worst in the series. The graphics are good, and so is the music, except it's repetitive. Also, the tutorial and cutscenes are about an hour long in the begining, which is really overkill. You don't have a million things to learn like in Grand Theift Auto 4 or a cool story like in Kingdom Hearts 2. Also, the forced stealth sections are extremely boring, and A so-so game, but the worst in the series. The graphics are good, and so is the music, except it's repetitive. Also, the tutorial and cutscenes are about an hour long in the begining, which is really overkill. You don't have a million things to learn like in Grand Theift Auto 4 or a cool story like in Kingdom Hearts 2. Also, the forced stealth sections are extremely boring, and frequent. You don't have to go through several floors over and over like in Phantom Hourglass, but you have to climb a buttload of stairs to get to the next dungeon to discover the next spirit tracks map, which is STUPID!! Why isn't there an elevator up when there are elevators down? And if you save and turn off the game in one of these dungeons, it doesn't spawn you outside the floor you were on, you have to climb allllllll those stairs all over again. Also the passenger missions are extrememly redundant. I do like how you get infinate bombs when you're on the train. I also think the characters in this game are really funny. There is a train obsessed super nerd and a guy in a bunny costume who really takes rabbit-rescue seriously. Another thing I like is when you come to a yes or no option, they mix it up by giving you options like "LOCKED AND LOADED" or "I don't wanna." I just made those two examples up, but you get the idea. Those bits of interaction with the protagonist keep him from being a silent, emotionless, boring character. Even though they're small things, those interactions between you and the other characters are really immersive, and are what made the presentation in Persona 4 so perfect. What makes this game the worst is that there is nothing new. Every Zelda game did something new. Ocarina of Time introduced 3d, Majora's Mask did time manipulations, Four Swords had a level system instead of an overworld and items you could keep, Zelda 2 did sidescrolling (which sucked, though), Twilight Princess removed the magic meter, Wind Waker introduced Sailing, Phantom Hourglass introduced touchscreen controles, blah blah blah you get the idea. The train is basically the boat on rails, and taking controle of Zelda isn't really a huge innovation. There are new items but they are basically the same thing as in other games. The whip is basically a grappeling hook you can attack with, and the windmeal is just the deku leaf from Wind Waker. This game barely has any side missions, not unlike Phantom Hourglass. The puzzles have an uninspired "I've done this before" feeling to them and there are no new or interesting temple gimmicks. In conclusion, I can only recommend this if you've never played any Zelda game before, but I seem to be in minority since so many people love this game. I just dont get it!! Expand
  4. LBC
    Sep 9, 2010
    While Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks certainly delivers the high-caliber dungeons and storyline that Zelda fans have come to expect, it falters in a big way. By adding the Train game-mechanic, Nintendo has essentially flushed out over world exploration, which is in my opinion one of the defining characteristics of the Zelda franchise. I refuse to believe that Nintendo couldn't find a wayWhile Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks certainly delivers the high-caliber dungeons and storyline that Zelda fans have come to expect, it falters in a big way. By adding the Train game-mechanic, Nintendo has essentially flushed out over world exploration, which is in my opinion one of the defining characteristics of the Zelda franchise. I refuse to believe that Nintendo couldn't find a way to keep exploration in the game and incorporate the Train at the same time. I also found that this game is noticeably easier than Phantom Hourglass. Hardcore Zelda fans will be pleased, but the rest of us on the fringe will find better gaming experiences elsewhere. Expand
  5. Jul 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For sure the worst Zelda game to date. It is a great game in every aspect except for two:
    1.story
    2.travel

What makes this game sad is that there is no story, it is a big joke. Train people and an evil leprechaun hardly stand up well in my mind. It felt more like a bit from mario, silly goofy, not at all zelda.

The travel was the worst. I actually spent half an hour because I made the wrong turn on a train track a couple times. Unlike horse travel or boat travel, if you make a wrong turn, you can't turn around. Imagine hyrule field, now imagine instead of going back 2 feet, you walk around the entire field before going inside. Its brutally unfair to such minor mistakes, especially when you try to free cam to fight off enemies or get a good look at the next dungeon. By far the most annoying thing to date, sadly the shortcuts aren't worth the time spent to unlock them.

However, the game does provide the same fun dungeons we have come to see, and it is without fail. When majora's mask followed up on ocarina of time, it was a more difficult game, but it worked, this game just doesn't.

I am on the fence, if you crave zelda and puzzles to solve, get it, it will be worth it. However leave it if you are just looking for the good ones.
  6. edf
    Dec 28, 2009
    Something needs to be done to revive zelda! Where has the old zelda magic gone?Why does it seem like it's made for a 6 year old? It would be a tradgedy to lose one of the greatest games of all time. Sadly Zelda seems to be on it's way out.
  7. Dec 22, 2013
    The worst zelda game to date the story is way more bland than size matters gameplay is so watered down and the music is super bland don't get me wrong this is a fairly average game but it is not what I expected in a zelda game.
  8. Sep 25, 2014
    I didn't like this game as much as I thought it would. The game is very constricted due to the train mechanic, and there isn't much to explore. The characters and story were also pretty bad and even annoying. However, I think the dungeons and bosses were very well made, and the flute was pretty interesting, albeit difficult to control.

1. Spirit Tracks' aging tricks continue to carry you cack into the narcotic realms of pure ritual, until you're deep in the caverns yet again, holding the magic yellow boomerang once more, and wondering what quirky brilliance it will bring with it this time. [Christmas 2009, p.92]
  2. Not a huge leap forward for the series but a wonderful game nonetheless. Enjoy. [Christmas 2009, p.91]
  3. A superb quest that doesn't rewrite the rules but delivers another engrossing Zelda adventure. If you own a DS, buy it.