• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: May 6, 2003
9.2

1. Jul 30, 2014
    Another underrated gem I see here. MetroidVania is probably the style that I like the most out of all three (RetroVania, MetroidVania and Lords of Shadow of the Colossus of God of WarVania if you know what I'm sayin') and this game is perfect proof. I was young and all I knew about CastleVania was this one game and I loved it, everything made sense, backtracking wasn't a chore because youAnother underrated gem I see here. MetroidVania is probably the style that I like the most out of all three (RetroVania, MetroidVania and Lords of Shadow of the Colossus of God of WarVania if you know what I'm sayin') and this game is perfect proof. I was young and all I knew about CastleVania was this one game and I loved it, everything made sense, backtracking wasn't a chore because you needed exp. and money and the story was so far from beaing a "pure, traditional and classic CastleVania" but the style was there. I renember some stages entirely and I would be able to beat this game in less than 10 hours because I looked for all the secret and spent so much time on it. The game also made an impacto on me. By seraching I found out "CastleVania Symphony of the Night" and I was like: MetroidVania on PS2 with Richter Belmont and Alucard? GOTTA GO PLAY DAT **** Expand
  2. Oct 26, 2013
    The storyline, the sprites, the music; everything is amazing about this game.
    Just like SotN, it's basically a Metroidvania. There is so many things to discover, so many things to loot. The music in this game is great. The art style of characters are unique. The overall world is looking brilliant.
    The storyline, the sprites, the music; everything is amazing about this game.
    Even if you beat the game for a few times, you still want to play it more. The levels are designed well, and when you beat the game, you get rewarded by having more playability.
    If you've never played this game and you liked any of Castlevania games, you should play this.
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    Really good game for GBA. Really good tight controls. Really stupid story. Really nice and fleshed out animated style. Really overkilling on the amounts of weapons and spells. Always fun to carry this one around.
  4. Sep 17, 2012
    Best Castlevania I've personally played since SOTN. The soul system is really fun and creative. Graphics and music were ok...couple of catchy tracks, nothing like SOTN but this was made for gameboy so meh Story was hella cheesy though, although major twist at the end if you "equip the right souls.
  5. Aug 27, 2011
    Aria of Sorrow offers players gameplay that will never go stale. It's honestly just a fun game. The only downside is story but when has Castlevania ever been about story? The bosses are fun and the soul collection was a nice addition to the series. It's very friendly for newcomers to the series as its a pretty easy game. New Game+ offer more hours of fun and keeps replayability pretty high.
  6. May 18, 2011
    After having played more than a dozen of Castlevania titles, I think Aria of Sorrow is still my favourite. The game takes place in the year 2035, many years after Dracula's defeat, but now Dracula's power is about to be reborn in a new dark lord candidate. You play as Soma Cruz, a student who found himself in the castle and realises that he has the ability to steal the souls of theAfter having played more than a dozen of Castlevania titles, I think Aria of Sorrow is still my favourite. The game takes place in the year 2035, many years after Dracula's defeat, but now Dracula's power is about to be reborn in a new dark lord candidate. You play as Soma Cruz, a student who found himself in the castle and realises that he has the ability to steal the souls of the monsters after defeating them. With this soul system the player gets access to an enormous variety of secondary attacks as well as permanent buffs. Just like with Symphony of the Night, the player is not limited to only one weapon, but can use a lot of different weapons he/she finds throughout the game, ranging from swords, to hammers, to spears, and even to guns. Also just like SOTN, and the other GBA Castlevania games, this is a Metroid style Castlevania, meaning the whole game is like a one huge map, where certain parts can only be reached later in the game after acquiring a certain ability or an item. Aria of Sorrow, despite having rather simple GBA graphics is a very beautiful and stunning looking game. The level design is fantastic, and the soundtrack is just as beautiful, complementing perfectly with visual beauty of the game. The controls are easy, making it convenient to control your character, and the game has just about a perfect level of difficulty, without it seeming too easy or too frustrating. There is literally nothing bad I can say about Aria of Sorrrow. The only thing I think SOTN has over it are the graphics. Expand
  7. Dec 16, 2010
    Castlevania was a great franchise and it still a great one!The GBA got so far the best Castlevania games EVER!Aria of Sorrow is a action-side scrolling game where you control Soma Cruz(the hero).The graphics are not very colorful, but they are very realistic for the GBA!The tunes aren't bad either!The gameplay is great, you discover a lot of good things, you unlock endings, is just one ofCastlevania was a great franchise and it still a great one!The GBA got so far the best Castlevania games EVER!Aria of Sorrow is a action-side scrolling game where you control Soma Cruz(the hero).The graphics are not very colorful, but they are very realistic for the GBA!The tunes aren't bad either!The gameplay is great, you discover a lot of good things, you unlock endings, is just one of the best Castlevania games EVER!If you don't like this game, that means you don't like video games!Well, this game is not perfect, but very enjoyable!MUST BUY! Expand

With all of its unique features and amounts of item/soul collection, Aria could be considered second to only one other game in the Castlevania series – the masterpiece, "Symphony of the Night."
    A superior GBA adventure in every respect and a marked improvement on "Harmony of Dissonance." Still, it is another "Symphony of the Night" clone—if you’re feeling a little sick of the same ol’ thing, this game may be the breaking point.
  3. As transfixing and hand-drawn inspired as any Castlevania before it, or any game for that matter, even if it does lost some of its hold on the handheld platform. [June 2003, p.56]