Gunstar Super Heroes Game Boy Advance

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 25, 2005
8.5

1. Feb 28, 2011
    The game would have gotten an 8 if the game made itself different to the original Gunstar Heroes. This is just a remake which, although a good thing for those who missed out on the original, for many of the returners, this game is a waste of time to play. Another negative is the lack of multiplayer (I know about linking up with another player if they have the same game but that isn't goodThe game would have gotten an 8 if the game made itself different to the original Gunstar Heroes. This is just a remake which, although a good thing for those who missed out on the original, for many of the returners, this game is a waste of time to play. Another negative is the lack of multiplayer (I know about linking up with another player if they have the same game but that isn't good enough), the original was a blast to play because the multiplayer was from the get go...

The game itself is great, don't think I gave it a 6 due to the game being bad, it's far from that...I marked it down due to being essentially a remake and a lack of multiplayer (the development's fault for the system decision). People didn't buy this game simply because they've played it before...I regret buying this game as I was lead to believe this game was original/sequel to the original.

Overall, if you haven't played it before and you don't care for MP, buy it...if you are a Treasure Fan or you want to play it with a friend, stick to the Virtual Console/Mega Drive version instead.
  2. BarryBethalB.
    Apr 3, 2007
    All though not perfect, Gunstar has elements which make it hands down one of the best GBA games. Level 3 in particular is absolute shmup perfection "I am Green! Seven force..." etc. Looking at these graphics, it is interesting to note that they are far superior to the SNES original.. Treasures mind boggling visual imagination is particularly evident again on Moon 3 as the All though not perfect, Gunstar has elements which make it hands down one of the best GBA games. Level 3 in particular is absolute shmup perfection "I am Green! Seven force..." etc. Looking at these graphics, it is interesting to note that they are far superior to the SNES original.. Treasures mind boggling visual imagination is particularly evident again on Moon 3 as the IndianaJonesesque mining truck becomes some kind of floaty Japanese ostrich thing. NB_ Yes the helicopter bit is crappy, but the jaw-dropping bosses more than make up for this. Buy this soon to be hard to find cult classic ASAFP. Treasure! Please make a shooter for the DS... Bet on Black? Expand
  3. TheSplash
    Jul 5, 2006
    Great old school shooting (and brawling) coupled with amazing variety throughout that keeps the gameplay feeling fresh. The game is quite short and designed to be played in short bursts, and although it is played best this way the core action is so satisfying that it will keep you coming back and re-playing the game even after you beat it. However the lack of multiplayer and some Great old school shooting (and brawling) coupled with amazing variety throughout that keeps the gameplay feeling fresh. The game is quite short and designed to be played in short bursts, and although it is played best this way the core action is so satisfying that it will keep you coming back and re-playing the game even after you beat it. However the lack of multiplayer and some lacklustre flying levels as well as the overall short gameplay experience do prevent this game from being truly great. With that said this the best side scrolling shooter available for the GBA and is fun while it lasts. Iif you are into this sort of game, you should definitely check this out. Collapse
  4. Theknife
    Nov 10, 2005
    Sick. can't wait until some developer uses the DS like this too. I hope treasure reads this.
  5. J.L.
    Nov 5, 2005
    One of the best action games on gameboy. Graphics at a 10, fantastic for a gameboy. But I miss the spacious enviroment of the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Version. The Gameboy version has kinda of a cramp feeling. Music brings back memories. Though this type of game is aging, its still an enjoyable game (for a short while anyways, ...road trip anyone).
  6. AlanA.
    Oct 28, 2005
    A great sequel to one of the best games of all time, Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis. This game, without a doubt, is the best side-scrolling shooter of all time, the best action game this year on any platform, and truly one of the best games ever. The control scheme is simply brilliant, more innovative and intuitive than any game I have ever played. The graphics are probably the best the A great sequel to one of the best games of all time, Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis. This game, without a doubt, is the best side-scrolling shooter of all time, the best action game this year on any platform, and truly one of the best games ever. The control scheme is simply brilliant, more innovative and intuitive than any game I have ever played. The graphics are probably the best the GBA has to offer, making it one of the best looking 2D games of all time. If you like Metal Slug, Contra, Megaman, or any of those games, I promise that this game is 10 times better. If you like any games that are popular right now on consoles, I promise that this is much better and much more fun. Sadly though, this landmark game will probably go unnoticed like its predecessor and barely sell a fraction of whatever crappy Pokemon game is coming out this week (don't people get that it's the same game over and over and over and over...). 2D games are dying out, especially will portables and mobile phones going to 3D graphics now, so this may very well be the last great 2D game. Go out and buy this game, and remember that games are about fun, they're not homework like all of those boring, ridiculously long unfulfilling games feel like. Who needs some complex, convoluted story when you have a much more creative story being told visually with new humorous and creative touches every couple of seconds. I could go on forever... just buy this game... it will make your wildest dreams come true. Expand
  7. TonyG.
    Oct 26, 2005
    the must buy game for the advance this year!! amazing everything. WOW is all I can really say. move over mega man, we have a winner! run and gun out to the local store and buy this today! Truly SUPER.

#15 Most Discussed Game Boy Advance Game of 2005
#11 Most Shared Game Boy Advance Game of 2005

1. If you were a fan of the original you need to find this game; if you're not a GBA owner it's worth picking up a new Game Boy Micro just for this game.
    GSH carefully sidesteps out of the shadow of its imposing ancestor and manages to be one of the most addictive and unadulterated blasters on Nintendo's handheld.
  3. games(TM)
    It's frantic, satisfying, very challenging and full of the sorts of explosive set-pieces, generous destruction and screen-filling sprites that made the original such an enormous success. [Christmas 2005, p.113]