Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis Game Boy Advance

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
2.3

1. Oct 3, 2013
    You'll be surprised how atrocious this port is it has horrendous sound terrible sound and loaded with bugs not only is the GBA more powerful than the Genesis and this was released in 2006! when the DS was released! Just pretend this game doesn't exist and your life will be better.
  2. May 28, 2014
    Oh god, what the hell happened here, how can transform one of the best platformers ever made, into a travesty that can't even support moving text without lagging like hell, not to mention glitches that put Sonic 06 to shame, a frame rate like a PowerPoint presentation running at half-speed, and music that makes Shadow the Hedgehog sound like a masterpiece in sound design, hugely disappointing!
  3. Aug 3, 2011
    Oh man I can't believe I have to Review on this. Every Sonic Fan weather it is the Classic or Modern Sonic Fans, It is really bad. The positive is the Spin Dash, a Save Feature and the Concept. Everything Else fails badly. Loads of Glitches, Bad Sound like Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, The Jonas Bros and Rebbecca Black, Awful Controls and Abysmal Gameplay. End of Story. Do not buy this gameOh man I can't believe I have to Review on this. Every Sonic Fan weather it is the Classic or Modern Sonic Fans, It is really bad. The positive is the Spin Dash, a Save Feature and the Concept. Everything Else fails badly. Loads of Glitches, Bad Sound like Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, The Jonas Bros and Rebbecca Black, Awful Controls and Abysmal Gameplay. End of Story. Do not buy this game instead get Sonic Classic Collection for the DS or SEGA Genesis Collection for the PSP. Expand
  4. JacobM
    Feb 14, 2009
    I don't understand why everybody hates this! Sure, it's laggy and glitchy, but I think the save system and Spin Dash are great additions! You should give it a shot, even if you're not a Sonic fan.
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    This version of Sonic the Hedgehog is too easy and the controls are terrible. I especially didn't like the new sound effects which removed the feel of Sonic that I liked from the original.
  6. Loki
    Aug 28, 2009
    I can't understand how this game managed to get released... Worst Sonic game ever! How could Sega and Sonic Team let this disgraceful, horrible excuse for a port see the? light of day? On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 0. Although, on the bright side, I was so outraged by this game that I went on eBay and bought Sonic Jam. Not to mention it got me interested in the series again. But still....
  7. MaxP.
    Feb 27, 2007
    Horrible lag and small screen make this game totally unplayable. Get the original or the mega collection instead.
  8. MatC.
    Jul 18, 2007
    Just terrible. Lag, glitches, and screen size render this game almost unplayable.
  9. JoeS
    May 21, 2008
    A true disappointment if ever there was one. I grew up with the original Sonic game. It was the first Genesis game I ever played. How they could have botched the translation so terribly is beyond me. The addition of the spin dash and the slightly higher jump is cool, but what is with all the lag? The lag makes the whole thing unplayable! Whoever did the port on this one deserves to be fired.
  10. May 19, 2014
    this game is very bad and i fell aleep while playing very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad
  11. Nov 12, 2014
    Wow! Is it even appropriate to consider this "THING" a game. I mean It makes Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) look like Super Mario Galaxy 2. Even if your a GBA/DS owner who is a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan, I recommend you don't get this game unless you plan on getting every single Sonic game possible.
  12. Dec 23, 2014
    Horrible piece of CRAP I never owned this nor will I ever I've seen the reviews, this is NOT the port you want. Buy the iOS, android, XBLA, PSN, STEAM port. or 3DS port, which I got and is FANTASTIC!!! 2006 was a bad year for this hedgehog, I thought the dreaded sonic 06 abused him enough that year already! -in other words, AVOID.
  13. May 23, 2015
    Here we are with Sonic Genesis for the Game Boy Advance. Why did this port have to be so awful?! The GBA is perfectly capable of running 16 bit games. This could've been a decent port. Why did Sega have to shun themselves with this filth?! The framerate in this game is the worst that I've ever seen. The music and sound effects are ear-bleeding abhorrent and obnoxious. The controls are soHere we are with Sonic Genesis for the Game Boy Advance. Why did this port have to be so awful?! The GBA is perfectly capable of running 16 bit games. This could've been a decent port. Why did Sega have to shun themselves with this filth?! The framerate in this game is the worst that I've ever seen. The music and sound effects are ear-bleeding abhorrent and obnoxious. The controls are so stiff that it feels like I'm trying to control a steamroller. The deaths are frequent and are oftentimes cheap shots and not even remotely fair. Also anniversary mode only includes the spindash and nothing more which just adds to the steaming dungpile of port that this is. Sonic 06', Sonic Free Riders, Shadow The Hedgehog, and even Sonic Boom were EONS BETTER THAN THIS!!!!! If Sega makes another game like this ever again I'm gonna stick my nuts in a wood-chipper!!! This is the WORST Sonic Game of all time!! Final Score 12/100 Expand
  14. Sep 23, 2015
    The only game besides Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis that gave me a headache. I played Green Hill Zone, lay down for an hour, and turned it back in. How did this get past Sega quality control and onto the GBA.
  15. SqueM.
    Nov 5, 2007
    The game sucks and should have never be released on the GBA. Next, try to port it on a stronger system. For a 32-bit system with a 16-bit game, I've learned that even 32-bit system can't even handle this crappy port. SEGA, try to port it on a stronger system than the GBA, it seems the GBA can't even handle a Genesis game.
  16. StevenV.
    Oct 15, 2009
    I didn't find this game so bad. The only thing I found that is bad is that the game is slow at times. Other than the slow parts, I enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog on Game Boy Advance. I think it's good, but could have been better without the slow parts.
  17. TyF.
    Nov 22, 2007
    This is why Sega now is a piece of garbage, they are really rushing Sonic games and this is one of them! Sega, how dare you!! How dare you not putting Sonic in the same care that Nintendo did with Mario. Sega, you are nothing more then a company with no heart.
  18. Nov 13, 2010
    There is only one word that describes this game, "BROKEN".
    Almost everything that made the original game a masterpiece is loss in this portable remake.
    There is only one word that describes this game, "BROKEN".
    The physics are a disaster, the lag is unacceptable, the audio is poor quality at best, graphics tend to freak out and act strangely from time to time, resolution is so awkward its next to impossible to see what is going on around you, glitches related to poor programing are quite literally everywhere, the spindash does not even work correctly and there are even a few spelling errors in the sound test menu. The only bonus features are save feature, a level select (you need to unlock each stage manually by reaching it) feature and a sound test feature (unlocked by game completion most likely). Due to absurd amounts of lag and wonky physics, it is incredibly difficult to complete Labyrinth Zone Act 3 and sometimes if you are killed during the boss in this stage you are respawned at a checkpoint stuck underwater with no way to escape but waste your lives on drowning or quitting and returning to the title screen. The game is awful and nobody should waste their hard earned money on this rushed and broken nearly unplayable mess of a game.
  19. Jan 19, 2014
    A god awful and down right offensive port of a great game. It's glitchy, laggy, It sounds and sounds horrible.

The story is exactly the same as sonic 1, so I do not have any problems here. The gameplay is awful, when you start up the game you have two options, Original and Anniversary, the only difference between the two is that in anniversary mode you have a spin dash. Which works I

The story is exactly the same as sonic 1, so I do not have any problems here.

The gameplay is awful, when you start up the game you have two options, Original and Anniversary, the only difference between the two is that in anniversary mode you have a spin dash. Which works I guess. But the levels in Sonic 1 were not design with the spin dash in mind, so I find it to be a pointless addition. The game itself is too zoomed in, the screen focuses to much on sonic. The game also lags like crazy. even when nothing is happening on screen, it will just slow down. The game is also glitchy, you die from standing on platforms occasionally. And the collision detection is wonky as all hell. and that is only a small portion of the glitches you will run into.

The graphics, if you are looking at a still frame. Look fine, but as soon as you see it moving it really unpleasant, due to the slowdown.

The music is horrid, and it is not the GBA's fault, Sonic Advance showed us that the GBA could have good remixes of Sonic 1 tracks. So what the hell happened here?

Overall this is the worst version of sonic 1 you could possibly play, if you want sonic 1 with the spindash go get a rom hack off of sonic retro. or if you want to be official, buy the Sonic Jam compilation on the Sega Saturn. Don't play this version.

OVERALL-
  20. Mar 25, 2015
    I agree the game has its flaws but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. The game can be slow and a little bad but still I like the game . This game has the spin dash and it is just like sonic from the Sega genisis kinda
  21. Steve
    Oct 11, 2009
    I got Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis after seeing the bad reviews, and I disagree with them. The game does have slow downs and a different feel, but I still got some enjoyment out of playing this game. In my opinion, it is an ok game.
  22. JacobJ.
    Mar 11, 2007
    Absolutely awesome! Sure, it has lag here and there, but the rest is awesome. It actually improved the jump hight!
  23. May 3, 2011
    An effortless port that could turn off newcomers faster than the hedgehog himself. Pros: Alright for a quick Sonic run or two; the additional Spin Dash and save system are helpful. Cons: A lot of glitches and slowdowns; unresponsive controls; horrendously redone soundtrack and cheap audio; it's lousy next to ports like Mario and Zelda.
  24. Dec 17, 2015
    I only find Sonic 1 an okay game but this is the worst Sonic game I've ever played. This is coming from someone who loves the Mario Advance & the DKC remakes & finds them the best versions of said games. You're welcome to not include this as one of the worst sonic games & argue that games like every 3D Sonic game are the worst. The only good thing about it is that I find the regularI only find Sonic 1 an okay game but this is the worst Sonic game I've ever played. This is coming from someone who loves the Mario Advance & the DKC remakes & finds them the best versions of said games. You're welcome to not include this as one of the worst sonic games & argue that games like every 3D Sonic game are the worst. The only good thing about it is that I find the regular soundtrack better than the original except for Marble zone & the final boss theme. But it should sound better. Everything else is bad. The screen crunch is absolutely atrocious as is the frame-rate & the slowdown. the Spindash would be good if the camera wasn't horrible. The save feature is also atrocious because it's only good for a quick save. If people can consider a spin-off game that wasn't even made by Sonic Team the worst then I can consider a horrible remake of a beloved game made by Sonic Team themselves that's apparently being run on the Sonic Advance engine. Lastly a little complaint. Why was it released on the same day as Sonic 06? The first Sonic game on the DS Sonic Rush had been out for a year & the first of the Sonic Rivals games was released on the PSP that same year. as a certain reviewer on Youtube that I love once said "people are welcome to criticise the Super Mario Advance remakes & the Donkey Kong Country remakes but at least they were competent if not as good as or surpassing the originals" But this is the worst remake I've ever played. Expand
  25. Feb 1, 2016
    A god awful remake with extreme lag, slow frame rate, ridiculously inconsistent collision detection, and some of the worst glitches I have ever seen. The Spin dash can't save me from all of the other problems this game produced. This is easily the worst Sonic game of all time.
  26. Jun 28, 2016
    Well that was the worst Sonic game I ever played.
    Remake!? More like rip-off! Other bad or medicore Sonic games have at least one minor plus.
    *Sonic Spinball brings a few minutes of enjoyment. *Sonic Labyrinth's has nice sprites. *Sonic Blast doesn't have terrible music. *Sonic 3D Blast is playable. *Sonic the Fighters has decent quality for its time. *Sonic Schoolhouse brings
    Well that was the worst Sonic game I ever played.

*Sonic Spinball brings a few minutes of enjoyment.
    *Sonic Labyrinth's has nice sprites.
    *Sonic Blast doesn't have terrible music.
    *Sonic 3D Blast is playable.
    *Sonic the Fighters has decent quality for its time.
    *Sonic Schoolhouse brings enjoyment for young children.
    *Sonic R seems easy when you play as Knuckles.
    *Sonic Shuffle doesn't have terrible minigames, but they're still boring.
    *Shadow the Hedgehog had a good gunfight.
    *Sonic '06 had awesome soundtrack.
    *Sonic Unleashed had cool cutscenes.
    *Sonic and the Secret Rings had a strong appeal and offers more than 15 minutes of enjoyment.
    *Sonic and the Black Knight had a cool boss fight.
    *Sonic Free Riders doesn't have bad graphics.
    *Sonic Dash has a variety of gifts to give out, if you complete missions.
    *Sonic Lost World had decent boss fights and great graphics.
    *Sonic Boom had a decent story and Tails acts more maturely.

All I can say is that nothing is good about Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. It's just a blatant rip-off of the first game from 1991, and should never exist. EVER!
  27. Jan 21, 2016
    Sonic 1 gets a 8/10.
    Sonic genesis gets 3/10
    This game has a major slowdown like ROL but that game was a little more enjoyable.The music is well....idk how to say it its not like the original sonic 1 ok.And the camera consentration on sonic is just horrible.if you wanna get this game pleaseeee just get the original sonic 1 not this one.
  28. Jan 29, 2016
    WTF is this? This game completely **** poor graphics, f****n controls and more.... This game decrases sonic's reputation. When i played it on my GBA i said what its one of the worst sonic games ever made, when i played it on emulator, isaid what this is the worst sonic game ever made!!!!
  29. Jul 26, 2016
    SonicDude is 100% WRONG he only gave it a good rating cause he IS a sonic fan. Well people will say to me "I'm a sonic fan and I hate this game." That is because he is not being honest. Well onto the review. The gameplay is bad no not bad HORRIBLE. Controls are bad and the fast paced is never there. Sonic Blast and sonic labyrinth can go faster. The game at least has variety that is theSonicDude is 100% WRONG he only gave it a good rating cause he IS a sonic fan. Well people will say to me "I'm a sonic fan and I hate this game." That is because he is not being honest. Well onto the review. The gameplay is bad no not bad HORRIBLE. Controls are bad and the fast paced is never there. Sonic Blast and sonic labyrinth can go faster. The game at least has variety that is the only good thing. And why was this on the GBA again? Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2010

1. AceGamez
    I truly am blown away by how terrible this port turned out to be.
  2. Nintendo Power
    Considering that "Sonic Mega Collection" for GCN already boasts a perfect version of the original Sonic, this game is a bit of a tough sell, but at least the inclusion of the 'hogs trademark Spin Dash adds some appeal. [Jan. 2007, p.112]
  3. Play Magazine
    There are a few minor twists in the Anniversary Mode, such as the ability to use the Spin Dash that was introduced later in the series, but none of it matters when the fundamentals are so thoroughly screwed. [Dec. 2006, p.92]