7.8

1. Aug 8, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game when I was younger, I liked having a story different to the usual scenario of starting your Pokemon journey at a young age and finding a rare level 5 pokemon and going through the cities, especially through the fact that you start with an Espeon and Umbreon, the story was fullfilling and memorable.
  2. Sep 10, 2011
    Its definitely not the best pokemon game ever made, and it especially isn't the best looking Pokemon game but it has fantastic music, decent gameplay, and a good amount of pokemon to catch
  3. Nov 6, 2011
    It is a unique game in the Pokemon series. Although you can't catch Pokemon in the wild, you do have a long storyline where you can catch Shadow Pokemon from other trainers and purify them to battle with a chance to train them.
  4. Rick
    Apr 20, 2004
    I'll keep it short, you can tell from this game and others that pokemon is just another monkey making hungry giant, just killing the core pokemon fans..They will absolutely not spend the time or money to give the fans a prime RPG. Everything in this game could be better, from graphics, to sound and story. If you wanna pay 50 bucks for a rehash of every pokemon game that has came out I'll keep it short, you can tell from this game and others that pokemon is just another monkey making hungry giant, just killing the core pokemon fans..They will absolutely not spend the time or money to give the fans a prime RPG. Everything in this game could be better, from graphics, to sound and story. If you wanna pay 50 bucks for a rehash of every pokemon game that has came out since(gameboy-blue,yellow,red etc..) Then buy Colosseum. Expand
  5. EricS.
    Apr 13, 2004
    Although Pokemon Colosseum offers hours of relatively entertaining gameplay, you can't help but notice some of its many aggravating flaws. To start, the two player mode is horrible! Unlike the Pokemon Stadium games, you are unable to draft Pokemon into your lineup. Instead, you are required to either use the Pokemon from the game's single player mode, or link you GBA to your GC Although Pokemon Colosseum offers hours of relatively entertaining gameplay, you can't help but notice some of its many aggravating flaws. To start, the two player mode is horrible! Unlike the Pokemon Stadium games, you are unable to draft Pokemon into your lineup. Instead, you are required to either use the Pokemon from the game's single player mode, or link you GBA to your GC and transfer your team from Ruby and Sapphire. This is a major problem due to the fact that the single player doesn't offer a wide variety of Pokemon, and some people such as myself don't have a Ruby or Sapphire game. Nintendo is obviously trying to scrounge up a few extra bucks by forcing you to by old, outdated games in order to enjoy new ones to the fullest. Secondly, for some reason, Nintendo has removed the option of playing mini-games. Many remember these games fondly from the previous Pokemon stadium games and will be disappointed that it is no longer available. Finally, Nintendo claimed that PC was going to be an RPG. Unfourtunately, this is not so. Problem solving and navigation (both major components in most RPGs) is replaced with endless battles that become repetitive pretty fast. Despite these flaws, PC has some positive qualities. For one, there is definitely a major improvement in terms of graphics since the previous Pokemon games. The attacks are much more detailed and fun to watch, plus, the character models look a lot better. The Pokemon battles definitely take strategy, so you'll have to practice up on your battling techniques in order to beat the game. There are also many sidequests that make for more gameplay after you complete the story mode. Pokemon Colosseum is no masterpeice (not by a long shot), but with the recent shortage of entertaining GC games it might be worth renting. Expand
  6. FeroJ.
    May 31, 2004
    Too kiddy.
  7. B.
    Mar 24, 2004
    Wanted an actual rpg.
  8. Jan 8, 2011
    Whilst nothing new is bought to the pokemon world, there is nothing relatively bad about the game. The gameplay on the gamecube is better than that of the Gameboy, but there are no original villians to fight, and you are unable to catch any pokemon but shadow pokemon. On the upside, at least you get to see the great hairstyles of characters like Mirror B. Worth buying, but not worthWhilst nothing new is bought to the pokemon world, there is nothing relatively bad about the game. The gameplay on the gamecube is better than that of the Gameboy, but there are no original villians to fight, and you are unable to catch any pokemon but shadow pokemon. On the upside, at least you get to see the great hairstyles of characters like Mirror B. Worth buying, but not worth playing to the end more than once. Expand
  9. Sep 6, 2011
    There's almost no difference from Pokemon Colosseum compared to Gale of Darkness. The random RPG battles gets boring after a few continuos apparitions of the same trainers. From my perspective , don't play this console version, play the handheld version.
  10. Jun 19, 2011
    This is one of those games that I just plain hate, and really the gameplay isn't horrible. I have this sort of feeling about this game similar to that of the narrator of "The Tell-Tale Heart" towards the man with the hawk eye. Something about the graphics and music and repetitive battles really just annoy the crap out of me. It also could be that my brother loves this game and won't stopThis is one of those games that I just plain hate, and really the gameplay isn't horrible. I have this sort of feeling about this game similar to that of the narrator of "The Tell-Tale Heart" towards the man with the hawk eye. Something about the graphics and music and repetitive battles really just annoy the crap out of me. It also could be that my brother loves this game and won't stop playing it - and this really annoying music just keeps hammering into my head, and then when I try to turn off the volume I still see those annoying graphics. It's one thing to have the same thing happen over and over again with the gameplay (being the Pokemon battles, cuz I'm fine with it in other games), but something about this game pisses me off. Expand
  11. Dec 13, 2011
    The one huge and I mean huge flaw of this game is that its so difficult and unless you put a massive grind into training then you wont get any where in this game. A lot of wasted potential here.
  12. N.D.P.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This game is good. But the RPG Adventure was kind of short. And i also get disapointed in battle mode. But i think Pokemon Stadium games were better. This game is good but could have been better.
    Apr 5, 2004
    This game wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Though its nothing to compare to its GBA titles. The game has some significant details that make it good. 1st of all all the battle include having 2 monsters on the battle feild unlike the GBA where double battles were rare. Also they fact that the pokemon actually attack the people is pretty cool. 2nd of all you won't waste your This game wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Though its nothing to compare to its GBA titles. The game has some significant details that make it good. 1st of all all the battle include having 2 monsters on the battle feild unlike the GBA where double battles were rare. Also they fact that the pokemon actually attack the people is pretty cool. 2nd of all you won't waste your time playing multiplayer because the GBA cord connecting crap. 3rd of all, to that stupid RYAN M kid just shut the hell up with your bring the francise crap up, if the game was doing soooo bad, then why would they keep making them. If the text is sooooooo slow the njust raise it in the options moron. You know what I think i think your rating is sooooooooo !@#$ long! Collapse
  14. HW.
    Jun 20, 2004
    Excellent game for pokemon fans!
  15. G.H.
    Jan 3, 2005
    Pokemon coloseum must beat stadium and he will.
  16. SolomonR.
    Oct 4, 2007
    when i first saw the preview i had my first insperation! nothing then would stop me from getting that game, it's like a 3d story mode of ruby and sapphire, with a great story line. and it has another mode from just story mode and yes the original battle your friend using the GBA via gamecube link. and mt. batlle 100 is one of the most challenging things on that game as well as when i first saw the preview i had my first insperation! nothing then would stop me from getting that game, it's like a 3d story mode of ruby and sapphire, with a great story line. and it has another mode from just story mode and yes the original battle your friend using the GBA via gamecube link. and mt. batlle 100 is one of the most challenging things on that game as well as getting through all the coloseums which get progressively harder as you go along. the fact that this is a challenging game makes this game worthwhile for a while. Expand
  17. gcgamer
    Jun 20, 2007
    Pokemon colliseum: good game great gameplay nice battles good graphics! now thats a game and a half.
  18. JayK.
    Mar 25, 2004
    I'm rating this for my son, 9 years old. He loves it. All I hear about is "Dad, check this out.", "Dad, look at this cool pokemon.", "Dad, I just got Pokemon X!". From his perspective, it's a 9, since he said it isn't as good as the Zelda:WW game.
  19. JoeyM.
    Mar 27, 2004
    To say that the pokemon franchise is dead is an entirely inaccurate and ignorant statement; Ruby/Sapphire, Worldwide, have sold over 10 million copies between them. For this reason, Nintendo is simply taking advantage, not beating the dead horse for its last breath. The game is simply a solid adventure, adding enough of a story mode to be better than the Stadium titles. Anyone who To say that the pokemon franchise is dead is an entirely inaccurate and ignorant statement; Ruby/Sapphire, Worldwide, have sold over 10 million copies between them. For this reason, Nintendo is simply taking advantage, not beating the dead horse for its last breath. The game is simply a solid adventure, adding enough of a story mode to be better than the Stadium titles. Anyone who expected a full-fledged RPG is dreaming, but if you go in expecting what it is, you'll get a solid title out of it. It's not meant to be "Pokemon Fantasy" in any way. Expand
  20. JacobP.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This game was very disapointing, that the fact that ity wasnt like the previos games. Its missing registering any pokemon, mini games beter interaction with the gameboy game, it was still a desent game, but it seems more of a 1 player game.
  21. AlexS.
    May 28, 2004
    It's the best Pokemon game I've ever played!
  22. RyanM>
    Mar 24, 2004
    Ok, so pokemon kind of died, and they're riding this franchise like a dead horse. But, you can't help but give colosseum a go. It doesn't disappoint too much. This game is new. It doesn't have much in common with the pokemon stadium games. The method of catching pokemon is different. You battle trainers and take their pokemon. And there's a whole new innovative Ok, so pokemon kind of died, and they're riding this franchise like a dead horse. But, you can't help but give colosseum a go. It doesn't disappoint too much. This game is new. It doesn't have much in common with the pokemon stadium games. The method of catching pokemon is different. You battle trainers and take their pokemon. And there's a whole new innovative idea. There are pokemon that are evil, and you must catch them, and raise them to be good. This game is fun, and has a lot of different ideas, but by know means will it revive the pokemon franchise. Colosseum can link with pokemon ruby/sapphire as well, (gee, what a surprise) and you can transfer those pokemon onto your colosseum game. This adds for some pretty fun multiplayer battles. Now their are a few negatives. I found the battle to be a tad slow. Your constantly waiting for long moves to be done with. You spend 2 seconds picking a move and a while watching them go. The rpg adventure is slow too. the people talk soooooo slow, and their's a lot of talking. Your character is very slow when walking also. And about your character, he is so cheesy and dumb. He's like a freaky quiet guy who, i have no idea, but he's really stupid. So finally, Colosseum does a lot in it's rpg story mode, but like the entire franchise...it falls short of a revival of the series. Expand
  23. Mar 16, 2013
    I played this game when I was 14, more than 200 hours. It amazed me, but I missed the freedom of the game boy advance versions. Characters are cool, Pokemon animations, multiplayer mode...but it's an step back coming from Pokemon Stadium of N64. Lenght of the game is ok, 25-30 hours easily, and a lot of stuff to do after you end the game.
  24. Jun 6, 2013
    Very different from any of the other Pokemon games (aside from maybe PC XD) Colosseum is the true Pokemon JRPG. The game has a much darker tone than the other pokemon games, and it's gameplay is much different considering all battles are double style, and you can only catch so many pre determined pokemon (admittedly probably the games biggest weak point aswell as its strong point) so theyVery different from any of the other Pokemon games (aside from maybe PC XD) Colosseum is the true Pokemon JRPG. The game has a much darker tone than the other pokemon games, and it's gameplay is much different considering all battles are double style, and you can only catch so many pre determined pokemon (admittedly probably the games biggest weak point aswell as its strong point) so they were able to develop a unique challenge they couldn't with other Pokemon games. The soundtrack is really great and all the battle themes are good enough to want to hear again and again. There are awesome locations like Mt battle where you have to fight 100 battles, winning all 100 is one of the greatest feelings, especially if you do it in a special mode where if you win all 100 in a row you get a special prize. The main characters design is great, and it's fun all the way through Expand
  25. Jun 20, 2013
    Finally! Pokemon brought to life! Although it's not exactly like the legendary games, Colosseum is as close as you can get to a console version Pokemon. It lacks some parts here and there, and in some cases is a bit too tough, it's good plot and fun gameplay overshadows those faults in this epic Pokemon installment!
  26. Mar 31, 2014
    By far the best game I owned on my GameCube, I have replayed this game over 10 times and it just doesn't get boring. Everything from the characters, the awesome levitating bike that the main character rides, to the Pokemon in the game, to the graphics, to the storyline is perfect. A little off topic but if they make a sequel to this and XD: Gale of darkness on the wii U, I will gladly buyBy far the best game I owned on my GameCube, I have replayed this game over 10 times and it just doesn't get boring. Everything from the characters, the awesome levitating bike that the main character rides, to the Pokemon in the game, to the graphics, to the storyline is perfect. A little off topic but if they make a sequel to this and XD: Gale of darkness on the wii U, I will gladly buy that console.

This was the best 3D pokemon game that has ever come out !
  27. Apr 27, 2014
    I'm being generous when I give it a 6 out of pure pity. It doesn't bring anything new, except for the 3D graphics. You can catch really few Pokemon, you can't get a starter, the story is boring... God. It's mediocre.
  28. Jun 11, 2014
    WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers involving the Pokémon included in this game and the places you visit. No major plot details are leaked. Enjoy!

Leading astray from popular opinion, I am actually a huge fan of this game, and would go as far as to say that it is the single greatest game in the entire Pokémon franchise. This game manages to both fit the casual and serious Pokémon gamers at the same time, and it does so with features that many other gamers complain about in the game.

First of all, there are very limited options on which Pokémon you can use. However, in a single area there tends to be a wide range of Pokémon for a player to choose from. One of the very first places you go, Pyrite Town, has a battle square. Each trainer here has a shadow Pokémon. This was a clever way for the game to let you pick a Pokémon you like from a selection right from the start, or even just if you like a certain type. For example, if I prefer physical attacks, I could use the Misdreavus found in the Battle Square. If I want to use a bulky support Pokémon, I could use Noctowl, and for a Pokémon to help me catch others, Skiploom. The game also encourages you to use Pokémon that you normally wouldn't, which I personally think is a good thing. Many players will just use their favourite Pokémon in every single game, which would get stale after a while. Pokémon Colosseum helps you make new favourites.

The story is fantastic, but I promised no spoilers, and I will fulfill that promise. The game does use Pokémon basics (such as the Elite Four) in fantastic and innovative ways, however.

Many people focus on the story mode for this game, which I do a lot of the time as well. However, this leads to people forgetting that the "Colosseum Mode" exists. Colosseum Mode lets you basically do everything that Pokémon Stadium did, excluding the Mini-Games, and improved upon it. Do you want to battle your generation 3 Pokémon with your friends in glorious 3D? You can link your Game Boy Advances up to this game and do so! It also has Mt. Battle, which is the "Gym Leader Tower" feature from Pokémon Stadium 2, sans the Gym Leaders.

I also disagree strongly with the annoyances at every battle in this game being double battles. It is true, but it adds layers of depth to the fights. I was never a fan of double battles on the hand-held generation 3 games, but I grew to love them because of Pokémon Colosseum. Even if you think you will hate the double battles, I would advise for you to pick this game up, as it could very easily change your mind. Having to "snag" or "catch" the Pokémon from trainers also works well because these are double battles. If they were single battles, it would be much more of a nuisance, and the game would grow stale much faster. This way you can begin trying to catch their Pokémon with one of your Pokémon's turns, while continuing to bulldoze the rest of your opponent's Pokémon with your other.

While you may not agree with me in saying that this game is the best in the franchise, I would advise you to pick it up. Especially if you are one of the people who are growing tired of the general Pokémon formula. "Collect 8 gym badges, fight the Elite Four and Champion and then do some battling features afterwards". Pokémon Colosseum takes the formula of Pokémon and places it in a well-made, innovative and different storyline, and for this, I give it a 10/10.

1. Its presentation is well below par, and the battles quickly become repetitive, but there remains an oddly addictive spark beneath its problems.
    An announcer might have been nice, but at least we're spared any potentially awful voice performances. You'll get more out of the game if you can get your GBA in on the action, but the mini-RPG isn't a bad addition.
  3. Just like the handheld Pokemon games, the graphics seem to be underdeveloped and the gameplay focus is really on catching, raising, and battling with the assorted critters, overshadowing the characters and story rather than supporting them. [Mar 2004, p.59]