6.9

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Ugh...Where do I start? First, after two beautiful, hype-filled cutscenes (yes, the intro scene counts), we start the game with terrible graphics. Seriously, even the Dreamcast games looked better than this.

Then, there are the bad controls. Steering is nearly impossible because you shoot off at high speed as soon as you push the analog stick forward, not to mention that he goes at the
    same speed all the time, even with the speed boosters.

Then, there are the missions. Some are easy and involve reaching the goal, simple as that. However, a lot of them involve finding stuff and defeating forty or so enemies of a single type in the same stage. It's boring and ripped straight out of the Chaotix gameplay of Sonic Heroes. Of course, at least Sonic Heroes had somewhat decent gameplay with a kickass soundtrack. This game's soundtrack is boring and uninteresting, as it sticks to nothing but bland, repetitive techno tracks. "I am all of me" is one of the worst themes of any Sonic game, period. And it's all for a flat-out ridiculous story. Seriously, Shadow and a random bunch of aliens. I know you brought back Shadow because of fan popularity, but this excuse of a story is piss-poor and relates very little to the SA2 plot.

However, there are a large variety of levels, and the choose-your-own-adventure style is pretty cool (although the missions around that style are not). The level design also has a heavier emphasis on platforming than any other 3D Sonic game before it, which is a good thing.

The point is: Don't buy this game. There are much better platformers out there, so don't waste your time.

Overall Rating: 4.5/10

P.S.: Don't be listen to people when they say that guns are the only thing bad about the game. Trust me. They're ironically the only good, properly functioning part of the game.
  2. May 19, 2011
    Shadow the Hedgehog falls flat under its excessive amount of flaws and lack of identity. Pros: Fantastic visuals and level design; lots of extras/secrets. Cons: Lacks any kind of speed; terrible control and camera; dated graphics; poorly executed "good verses evil" concept.
  3. Mar 18, 2012
    While the gameplay is near-solid and the branching storyline is impressive, there are so many things wrong with this game I can't imagine how any self-respecting Sonic fan would like this. If you don't do the missions, the levels and game itself is short and forgettable. Not even the level with the Shadow androids is that remarkable. Like Heroes, the enemies have health, but they made it worse by giving the enemies more health and Shadow a god-awful homing attack. This is to try to urge you to use the guns and vehicles, but they're still hard to control. The control itself is more slippery than Heroes, and the music is mediocre at best, save for the theme "All Hail Shadow" which is arguably one of the best character themes I've heard. And the dark theme has "I'm trying to hard" all over it. The overuse of damn, the unnecessary guns, and the extremely dark levels are just screaming that it's trying to attract the preteen who thinks guns = cool. There are few games that I dislike in Sonic, and this is one of them. Expand
  4. Jan 30, 2013
    Shadow The Hedgehog is a game that stars the character who's name is in the title. Shadow The Hedgehog (the character, not the game) following Sonic Adventure 2 became a popular character in the Sonic Universe and much like Knuckles The Echidna and his game Knuckles Chaotix on the 32X prior, Sega created a cash-in game based on the most popular character they had at the time. How did the game turn out? Sadly not very good. As with most cash-in games, it was released in an unfinished and poorly tested state. The gameplay consists of Shadow The Hedgehog doing various missions (good, evil and neutral) to determine what different level he advances to and what ending he gets and what ultimately happens to the character with regards to his memory, and what different parties are his friends and enemies and the plot's overall conclusion. Pretty much only the Final Story ending is actually canon, the others are all completely pointless. Shadow The Hedgehog uses mostly firearms, melee weapons, vehicles and his own personal abilities to complete his mission objectives. gameplay with firearms flows somewhat decently but the the overall control feel like you are constantly sliding around on ice and fighting the camera's behavior, al ot of the game mechanics are very sloppily designed and barely even function properly, this is especially noticeable when riding vehicles. The game seems to make out the character Shadow The Hedgehog an emo gun wielding lunatic with amnesia which I personally find not all that appealing.The music is your generic gothic and gritty music and excluding maybe 3 tracks, the sountrack is not all that memorable. The story flow is absolutely horrible, sometimes when you transition from one level to another, the plots don't add up and turn the entire thing into a giant plothole, but as mentioned before, since only the final story is canon, these plothole infested player created stories aren't canon in the slightest. The level designs and missions aren't that well designed and are pretty bland. The level designs themselves are very generic and poorly designed, the level visuals are generic, low quality and ugly to look at. Missions are very uncreative as well with such objectives as: beat the boss, destroy (insert number here) of (insert NPC here), reach the goal or find (insert objects or location here). When playing certain missions in the 1-player mode, characters follow Shadow The Hedgehog around to give him advice and certain ones can actually be controlled by utilizing the Player 2 controller and can help Shadow out. There is also a multiplayer deathmatch battle mode with features so limited features, such badly designed level arenas and so poorly designed mechanics that it isn't even worth looking into. In conclusion, the game is a rushed cash-in on a popular character with poor design, and beta testing that was released to stores for sale in a unfinished condition and barely playable, it does have some decent points to it but I'd recommend you avoid this game. Expand
  5. May 7, 2013
    Don't play this game. Not even if you are a sonic fan. The story is stupid, The graphics and sound are terrible the good, neutral, and evil pathways are filled with plotholes and contradictions. The control is terrible. The level design is stupidly confusing. Just don't play this game. If you must play this game only play the GameCube version. It's the most bearable one. Sonic 06 is better than this. And that's sad. Expand
  6. Nov 5, 2013
    Not even recommended for Sonic fans (which I am one of). The gameplay somehow manages to be the least of it's problems, despite, you know, being a game where the Sonic equivalent of Poochie shoots people and rides motorcycles. It's attempts and being edgy would be cute were it not for the cringe-worthy voice acting. Half the people in the voice cast had never voice acted video games before. What does that tell you? Also, the plotline makes no sense, even less so than other Sonic games that tried to have a plot.

It does have pretty good music though, but that's a given for Sonic games.

7. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the worst game I have ever played.
    The amount of **** that you have to deal with in this game is more than I have experienced in every other game I have played. COMBINED.
    First, the controls; What the actual **** Sega? SA1 and SA2 (minus the mech stages) control perfectly! These controls are the WORST. They are the slipperiest controls I have seen in a game thus far. The momentum of jumping is Belmont Syndrome times 1000. 2000, even! If you play this game, which you shouldn't, you will fall off of cliffs an innumerable amount of times due to Shadow's slippery shoes. And if you
    thought Luigi was bad... Have fun playing!
    Next, the level design; AAAAAAGGGGHHH
    WORST. LEVEL DESIGN. IN HISTORY. IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME I THINK YELL FOR THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH. IT'S SO. *SO*. ********SO******** BAD.
    Sorry. Anyway, the game is based around a split-path system. The next stage you go to is based on your actions in the current stage. There are 29 different stages (Though some of them are the same), 10 endings, and a whole ****in' lot of paths. In a single play-through, you complete five stages. To complete the game fully and get the final ending, you must get all of the endings. The problem? THE ALTERNATE OBJECTIVES ARE ****. They, more often then not, require you to seek and kill each and every one of a certain enemy in a stage. In a SONIC game. A SONIC game! Not only is this boring and monotonous, it goes against the principles of the series. AND NO. IT'S NOT A ****IN' ONE-OFF. IT IS A *DIRECT SEQUEL* TO HEROES. It also goes against your slippery control, which is designed for speed, not offense. Can you imagine going back to SA2, making the controls absolute **** and killing EVERY ENEMY in the stage? NO.
    NOBODY DID CAUSE THAT'S A ****TY ****IN' IDEA. The levels are so slow and boring, despite being portrayed as an action game. The levels are so huge sometimes, that in some certain search-destroy missions, you will be on stages for forty ****in' five minutes, if you don't know what you're doing. There are some stages that make you touch certain objects, or kill enemies with a certain weapon, collect rings, etc. But whatever you're doing, you can bet that it's terrible. But the best part is, if you want the full ending, you HAVE to do the stages that you don't like. Scratch that! The best part is that you have to play the first stage 10 times to beat the game fully. TEN. ****ING. TIMES.
    The graphics and music? Muddy, with bad human character models, and voice syncing... And boring, terribly one note (ha-ha) idiotic drivel.
    Enemies are a joke, especially with the guns.If you don't have guns, prepare to mash A.
    Oh, and the guns? They are, ironically, the only thing I can say that works in this game. There's a reason why my score isn't zero. If I had to kill everything with my homing attack... Ugh. I'd give it a negative 10. The guns kill things. End of story.
    Speaking of story...
    This story is terrible. Shadow's sitting somewhere, contemplating his life, because... And then, aliens, because... And then their leader, Generic Antagonist, reveals that he knows Shadow's past, and sends him off to collect the Emeralds so that he may...
    ...Get ready...
    ...Get ready...
    DESTROY THE WORLD!
    OF COURSE! HOW BOUT THAT **** Etc.
    After you finish the first stage, there is a cutscene that shows off two human characters, the President, and a G.U.N. general who lived on the Ark. He was friends with Maria until she died, and blames Shadow for the WAIT. He's a G.U.N. GENERAL. G.U.N. KILLED MARIA, YOU STUPID **** *Clears Throat*. 'Scuse me. He blamed Shadow for her death, because... And sends out troops to kill him. Problem? IN HALF OF THE STORY OPTIONS, THESE CHARACTERS NEVER APPEAR AGAIN. EVER. THEY'RE JUST GONE. WHY?
    BECAUSE! I'm not gonna bother with the rest of the story options. Wanna know why? ... Well, I'll tell you anyway! The Secret/Final/True/Whatever-The-**** ending ret-cons every single one of them! You want an evil Shadow? TOO BAD! You want a neutral Shadow? NOPE! You want an and(not really)roid Shadow? I don't know why you'd want that, but NOPES. SHADOW IS ALWAYS GOOD AND SAVES THE CONTINUITY I mean WORLD!
    Ugh. That's it, pretty much. Worst game I've ever played, and YEAH! I've played Sonic '06. I can at least laugh at that game whenever something glitches. And I find MORE enjoyment instead of less each time I play it.
    So...
    If you ever have money for a GameCube game, GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE. Like Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, or Pokemon XD/Colosseum, or Mario Sunshine, or goddamned Kirby's Air Ride. Just something BETTER. Sigh...

1. From its stripping down of the series' most successful gameplay elements to its obviously desperate addition of weapons and 'street' cool this is still a product of a development studio with a good imagination. But also, it seems, a lazy one only too happy to jump on the same GTA bandwagon that's currently carrying way too many developers.
  2. The poor controls, tricky camera and an irritation-filled gaming experience is unfortunately what Shadow the Hedgehog is presented as, and this doesn't deserve to be found under too many Christmas tree's this year.
  3. An enjoyable, high-octane adventure. Naysayers be damned. [Jan 2006, p.111]