6.7

1. BenC
    Jul 26, 2009
    This game is utter rubbish. Truly a new low in gaming standards. The controls suck, the graphics are a joke, level design is about as well designed as a 2 year olds lego creation. and come on, guns? what the fuck where they thinking? This game is best left forgotten as it is one of Sega's worst products of all time. Also what gives with all the 10/10 ratings? Have they played the This game is utter rubbish. Truly a new low in gaming standards. The controls suck, the graphics are a joke, level design is about as well designed as a 2 year olds lego creation. and come on, guns? what the fuck where they thinking? This game is best left forgotten as it is one of Sega's worst products of all time. Also what gives with all the 10/10 ratings? Have they played the game or are they just stupid sega fans who would bend over happily for the next terrible sonic game? Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Ugh...Where do I start? First, after two beautiful, hype-filled cutscenes (yes, the intro scene counts), we start the game with terrible graphics. Seriously, even the Dreamcast games looked better than this.

Then, there are the bad controls. Steering is nearly impossible because you shoot off at high speed as soon as you push the analog stick forward, not to mention that he goes at the same speed all the time, even with the speed boosters.

Then, there are the missions. Some are easy and involve reaching the goal, simple as that. However, a lot of them involve finding stuff and defeating forty or so enemies of a single type in the same stage. It's boring and ripped straight out of the Chaotix gameplay of Sonic Heroes. Of course, at least Sonic Heroes had somewhat decent gameplay with a kickass soundtrack. This game's soundtrack is boring and uninteresting, as it sticks to nothing but bland, repetitive techno tracks. "I am all of me" is one of the worst themes of any Sonic game, period. And it's all for a flat-out ridiculous story. Seriously, Shadow and a random bunch of aliens. I know you brought back Shadow because of fan popularity, but this excuse of a story is piss-poor and relates very little to the SA2 plot.

However, there are a large variety of levels, and the choose-your-own-adventure style is pretty cool (although the missions around that style are not). The level design also has a heavier emphasis on platforming than any other 3D Sonic game before it, which is a good thing.

The point is: Don't buy this game. There are much better platformers out there, so don't waste your time.

Overall Rating: 4.5/10

P.S.: Don't be listen to people when they say that guns are the only thing bad about the game. Trust me. They're ironically the only good, properly functioning part of the game.
  3. May 19, 2011
    Shadow the Hedgehog falls flat under its excessive amount of flaws and lack of identity. Pros: Fantastic visuals and level design; lots of extras/secrets. Cons: Lacks any kind of speed; terrible control and camera; dated graphics; poorly executed "good verses evil" concept.
  4. May 7, 2013
    Don't play this game. Not even if you are a sonic fan. The story is stupid, The graphics and sound are terrible the good, neutral, and evil pathways are filled with plotholes and contradictions. The control is terrible. The level design is stupidly confusing. Just don't play this game. If you must play this game only play the GameCube version. It's the most bearable one. Sonic 06 is betterDon't play this game. Not even if you are a sonic fan. The story is stupid, The graphics and sound are terrible the good, neutral, and evil pathways are filled with plotholes and contradictions. The control is terrible. The level design is stupidly confusing. Just don't play this game. If you must play this game only play the GameCube version. It's the most bearable one. Sonic 06 is better than this. And that's sad. Expand
  5. Mar 18, 2012
    While the gameplay is near-solid and the branching storyline is impressive, there are so many things wrong with this game I can't imagine how any self-respecting Sonic fan would like this. If you don't do the missions, the levels and game itself is short and forgettable. Not even the level with the Shadow androids is that remarkable. Like Heroes, the enemies have health, but they made itWhile the gameplay is near-solid and the branching storyline is impressive, there are so many things wrong with this game I can't imagine how any self-respecting Sonic fan would like this. If you don't do the missions, the levels and game itself is short and forgettable. Not even the level with the Shadow androids is that remarkable. Like Heroes, the enemies have health, but they made it worse by giving the enemies more health and Shadow a god-awful homing attack. This is to try to urge you to use the guns and vehicles, but they're still hard to control. The control itself is more slippery than Heroes, and the music is mediocre at best, save for the theme "All Hail Shadow" which is arguably one of the best character themes I've heard. And the dark theme has "I'm trying to hard" all over it. The overuse of damn, the unnecessary guns, and the extremely dark levels are just screaming that it's trying to attract the preteen who thinks guns = cool. There are few games that I dislike in Sonic, and this is one of them. Expand
  6. Nov 5, 2013
    Not even recommended for Sonic fans (which I am one of). The gameplay somehow manages to be the least of it's problems, despite, you know, being a game where the Sonic equivalent of Poochie shoots people and rides motorcycles. It's attempts and being edgy would be cute were it not for the cringe-worthy voice acting. Half the people in the voice cast had never voice acted video gamesNot even recommended for Sonic fans (which I am one of). The gameplay somehow manages to be the least of it's problems, despite, you know, being a game where the Sonic equivalent of Poochie shoots people and rides motorcycles. It's attempts and being edgy would be cute were it not for the cringe-worthy voice acting. Half the people in the voice cast had never voice acted video games before. What does that tell you? Also, the plotline makes no sense, even less so than other Sonic games that tried to have a plot.

It does have pretty good music though, but that's a given for Sonic games.

7. Jan 30, 2013
    Shadow The Hedgehog is a game that stars the character who's name is in the title. Shadow The Hedgehog (the character, not the game) following Sonic Adventure 2 became a popular character in the Sonic Universe and much like Knuckles The Echidna and his game Knuckles Chaotix on the 32X prior, Sega created a cash-in game based on the most popular character they had at the time. How did theShadow The Hedgehog is a game that stars the character who's name is in the title. Shadow The Hedgehog (the character, not the game) following Sonic Adventure 2 became a popular character in the Sonic Universe and much like Knuckles The Echidna and his game Knuckles Chaotix on the 32X prior, Sega created a cash-in game based on the most popular character they had at the time. How did the game turn out? Sadly not very good. As with most cash-in games, it was released in an unfinished and poorly tested state. The gameplay consists of Shadow The Hedgehog doing various missions (good, evil and neutral) to determine what different level he advances to and what ending he gets and what ultimately happens to the character with regards to his memory, and what different parties are his friends and enemies and the plot's overall conclusion. Pretty much only the Final Story ending is actually canon, the others are all completely pointless. Shadow The Hedgehog uses mostly firearms, melee weapons, vehicles and his own personal abilities to complete his mission objectives. gameplay with firearms flows somewhat decently but the the overall control feel like you are constantly sliding around on ice and fighting the camera's behavior, al ot of the game mechanics are very sloppily designed and barely even function properly, this is especially noticeable when riding vehicles. The game seems to make out the character Shadow The Hedgehog an emo gun wielding lunatic with amnesia which I personally find not all that appealing.The music is your generic gothic and gritty music and excluding maybe 3 tracks, the sountrack is not all that memorable. The story flow is absolutely horrible, sometimes when you transition from one level to another, the plots don't add up and turn the entire thing into a giant plothole, but as mentioned before, since only the final story is canon, these plothole infested player created stories aren't canon in the slightest. The level designs and missions aren't that well designed and are pretty bland. The level designs themselves are very generic and poorly designed, the level visuals are generic, low quality and ugly to look at. Missions are very uncreative as well with such objectives as: beat the boss, destroy (insert number here) of (insert NPC here), reach the goal or find (insert objects or location here). When playing certain missions in the 1-player mode, characters follow Shadow The Hedgehog around to give him advice and certain ones can actually be controlled by utilizing the Player 2 controller and can help Shadow out. There is also a multiplayer deathmatch battle mode with features so limited features, such badly designed level arenas and so poorly designed mechanics that it isn't even worth looking into. In conclusion, the game is a rushed cash-in on a popular character with poor design, and beta testing that was released to stores for sale in a unfinished condition and barely playable, it does have some decent points to it but I'd recommend you avoid this game. Expand
  8. Mar 13, 2015
    Woof.
    There really isn't much to say about this game that hasn't been beat to a bloody pulp already, but as someone who A ranked every level in this game, in my opinion I think that in terms of central design, this is the worst game in the sonic franchise. It definitely isn't worse than '06 however, since it actually you know. Works.
    While this game can provide a small amount of
    Woof.
    While this game can provide a small amount of enjoyment, overall it isn't really worth playing unless you're EXTREMELY curious. The only good parts of this game are the cg cutscenes (which still look great to this day despite the ridiculousness of them) and a few of the music tracks, especially the vocal ones.
    Horrible level design and gameplay, an absolutely horrendous story, and a game that overstays its welcome by far too much (especially for those who want to beat the entire game), this is one to avoid.
    If you aren't convinced, one of the levels takes nearly half an hour to complete on average. To get an A rank.
  9. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the worst game I have ever played.
    The amount of **** that you have to deal with in this game is more than I have experienced in every other game I have played. COMBINED.
    First, the controls; What the actual **** Sega? SA1 and SA2 (minus the mech stages) control perfectly! These controls are the WORST. They are the slipperiest controls I have seen in a game thus far. The momentum of jumping is Belmont Syndrome times 1000. 2000, even! If you play this game, which you shouldn't, you will fall off of cliffs an innumerable amount of times due to Shadow's slippery shoes. And if you
    thought Luigi was bad... Have fun playing!
    Next, the level design; AAAAAAGGGGHHH
    WORST. LEVEL DESIGN. IN HISTORY. IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME I THINK YELL FOR THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH. IT'S SO. *SO*. ********SO******** BAD.
    Sorry. Anyway, the game is based around a split-path system. The next stage you go to is based on your actions in the current stage. There are 29 different stages (Though some of them are the same), 10 endings, and a whole ****in' lot of paths. In a single play-through, you complete five stages. To complete the game fully and get the final ending, you must get all of the endings. The problem? THE ALTERNATE OBJECTIVES ARE ****. They, more often then not, require you to seek and kill each and every one of a certain enemy in a stage. In a SONIC game. A SONIC game! Not only is this boring and monotonous, it goes against the principles of the series. AND NO. IT'S NOT A ****IN' ONE-OFF. IT IS A *DIRECT SEQUEL* TO HEROES. It also goes against your slippery control, which is designed for speed, not offense. Can you imagine going back to SA2, making the controls absolute **** and killing EVERY ENEMY in the stage? NO.
    NOBODY DID CAUSE THAT'S A ****TY ****IN' IDEA. The levels are so slow and boring, despite being portrayed as an action game. The levels are so huge sometimes, that in some certain search-destroy missions, you will be on stages for forty ****in' five minutes, if you don't know what you're doing. There are some stages that make you touch certain objects, or kill enemies with a certain weapon, collect rings, etc. But whatever you're doing, you can bet that it's terrible. But the best part is, if you want the full ending, you HAVE to do the stages that you don't like. Scratch that! The best part is that you have to play the first stage 10 times to beat the game fully. TEN. ****ING. TIMES.
    The graphics and music? Muddy, with bad human character models, and voice syncing... And boring, terribly one note (ha-ha) idiotic drivel.
    Enemies are a joke, especially with the guns.If you don't have guns, prepare to mash A.
    Oh, and the guns? They are, ironically, the only thing I can say that works in this game. There's a reason why my score isn't zero. If I had to kill everything with my homing attack... Ugh. I'd give it a negative 10. The guns kill things. End of story.
    Speaking of story...
    This story is terrible. Shadow's sitting somewhere, contemplating his life, because... And then, aliens, because... And then their leader, Generic Antagonist, reveals that he knows Shadow's past, and sends him off to collect the Emeralds so that he may...
    ...Get ready...
    ...Get ready...
    DESTROY THE WORLD!
    OF COURSE! HOW BOUT THAT **** Etc.
    After you finish the first stage, there is a cutscene that shows off two human characters, the President, and a G.U.N. general who lived on the Ark. He was friends with Maria until she died, and blames Shadow for the WAIT. He's a G.U.N. GENERAL. G.U.N. KILLED MARIA, YOU STUPID **** *Clears Throat*. 'Scuse me. He blamed Shadow for her death, because... And sends out troops to kill him. Problem? IN HALF OF THE STORY OPTIONS, THESE CHARACTERS NEVER APPEAR AGAIN. EVER. THEY'RE JUST GONE. WHY?
    BECAUSE! I'm not gonna bother with the rest of the story options. Wanna know why? ... Well, I'll tell you anyway! The Secret/Final/True/Whatever-The-**** ending ret-cons every single one of them! You want an evil Shadow? TOO BAD! You want a neutral Shadow? NOPE! You want an and(not really)roid Shadow? I don't know why you'd want that, but NOPES. SHADOW IS ALWAYS GOOD AND SAVES THE CONTINUITY I mean WORLD!
    Ugh. That's it, pretty much. Worst game I've ever played, and YEAH! I've played Sonic '06. I can at least laugh at that game whenever something glitches. And I find MORE enjoyment instead of less each time I play it.
    So...
    If you ever have money for a GameCube game, GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE. Like Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, or Pokemon XD/Colosseum, or Mario Sunshine, or goddamned Kirby's Air Ride. Just something BETTER. Sigh...
  10. sdc
    Apr 3, 2015
    The worst story of all time, forgettable music (In a Sonic game? Oh no...), terrible graphics that shame the 8-Bit systems, mission based structures that bore me, and the worst controls in a Sonic game, this game doesn't deserve the number of defenders it gets.
  11. Jul 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shadow The Hedgehog... One of my favorite characters of the Sonic universe but with a game so horrible that even the word sh*t is too good for it. I love Sonic The Hedgehog but damn has Sega really made a bunch of horrible Sonic games such as this abomination... I rather play with my dogs turd than this piece of sh*t... But lets start off with the story; Shadow is seen looming over a cliff hit with a dose of amnesia as he tries to remember about his past, a past in which no one from the previous game, Sonic Heroes, ever bothers to explain to him either because they're stupid or straight up dick's. As he stares off into the city a cloud gathers over it and a bunch of... Aliens... Sigh... Yes aliens begin attacking the city... As Shadow begins to walk away a mysterious figure shows up named, Black Doom, explains to Shadow that he will help him regain his memories as long as he brings him the 7 Chaos Emeralds. After Black Doom vanishes, Shadow begins his hunt for the emeralds. Now this is where the story becomes a real mess... This is the first in the series to introduce branching story lines where you could choose to either follow the neutral, hero, or evil path and which ever you follow determines the ending you receive... The game has multiple endings which are either flat out stupid or hilariously horrible. One ending has Shadow accepting he is an android which is just hilariously horrible. But all those ending don't matter in the end because once beating the game multiple times and unlocking all the endings you unlock the real ending. And the real ending is still unsatisfying. It has Shadow being the hero in the end and beating Black Doom in an old tradition Super Sonic fight. Ill give Sega credit for trying out the branching story line thing but surprisingly they screwed that up. The story is such a mess and filled with plot holes... One example is in Sonic Adventure 2 Dr. Robotnik configures The Space Colony Ark to destroy the world before being sent to prison... But in Shadow The Hedgehog Robotnik configures the Ark to destroy Black Doom's comet before being sent to prison... WTH!? How is that even possible... It makes no sense... Being able to breath underwater makes more sense then that... Game play time... It's your typical Sonic game play but with a new addition of weapons. Shadow can now wield a variety of weapons such as your typical pistol and machine guns too rockets launchers and some Alien weaponry. Surprisingly the weapons handle pretty well (minus the rocket launchers which are a pain in the ass to aim) and I rather use the guns instead of the homing attack because it's programmed rather poorly. It has caused me a lot of cheap deaths because it failed to lock me onto the enemy I want to hit and sent me hurling down a pit to my death. Another thing thats horribly implemented is the handling. It feels as if you're running on ice. It's just horrible such like the various of vehicles you can drive such as motorcycles or jeeps. They're all really slow and clunky. I rather deal with the piss ass handling than drive those broken things. And the graphics are just horrible to look at... They used the same models of the Sonic characters from Sonic Heroes and put them in this dark and gritty environment. They just don't fit. The music is a hit and miss too except for the opening theme and Crush 40's "Never Turn Back". Overall Shadow The Hedgehog is just a bad game that tries to do a couple of new things but ends up doing them wrong. The graphics are as pretty as an old sh*t stained underwear from your fat uncle rob, with a horrible story that's a complete mess that'll make Amanda Byne's seem like she has her sh*t straight and with a mediocre game play. Stay away from this game. It's horrible. If you're feeling suicidal this game is the perfect way to kill yourself. But please... Call someone if you're suicidal... Please. Expand
  12. Mar 1, 2015
    Shadow the Hedgehog is a great example of a concept which was lost by the time the full game was made. Each playthrough is short, and each plot is alright for how the game is designed, but the initial "charm" of the game crumbles by the third playthrough. The gun mechanics are unsatisfying and unrewarding compared to the traditional Sonic attacks. Bosses are often rehashed, andShadow the Hedgehog is a great example of a concept which was lost by the time the full game was made. Each playthrough is short, and each plot is alright for how the game is designed, but the initial "charm" of the game crumbles by the third playthrough. The gun mechanics are unsatisfying and unrewarding compared to the traditional Sonic attacks. Bosses are often rehashed, and encountering the same boss leaves something to be desired. Because the game uses a mix 'n match of cutscenes for story, you will often feel unsatisfied with the story resulting from the game's path you have chosen. These elements would be bearable in the short play time of the game, but in order to unlock the "final story," you need to do every single ending. As a result, you need to run through the same boring starting level ten times, encounter the same unappealing bosses even more, play through the same repetitive missions, and do all of the final bosses. Oh, did I mention that there are really just three final bosses, just stuck in different endings so that you can have an even *more* repetitive game?

Shadow the Hedgehog's one redeeming light is that it has a great multiplayer - one which I would find fantastic to play as a standalone - but I would not recommend playing the game just for that; you'd waste far too much time playing the rest of this awful game to unlock the levels.

Overall, this game *could* have been better, but the repetitive structure of the entire game gave it nearly no replay value, despite the game requiring that you replay it nine times to unlock last bit. Regardless of any clunky controls, the repetitiveness of the game is enough to break the game.

Personal Rating: 3.9/10
  13. May 16, 2015
    Ah Shadow The Hedgehog, One of my favorite sonic characters and one of my least favorite games from the Sonic Franchise. The Opening cutscenes looked promising enough, but as I was given control it all went downhill from there. The Graphics in the Opening Fmv looked astonishing for 2005, but the in-game graphics however look really bad. The Sonic Adventure games look like DESTINY comparedAh Shadow The Hedgehog, One of my favorite sonic characters and one of my least favorite games from the Sonic Franchise. The Opening cutscenes looked promising enough, but as I was given control it all went downhill from there. The Graphics in the Opening Fmv looked astonishing for 2005, but the in-game graphics however look really bad. The Sonic Adventure games look like DESTINY compared to this. The Story was senseless and forgetable. The villain, Black Doom, is in my opinion one of the most lazyily developed villains I've ever seen. Most of the levels were frustrating and dull. The music isn't as atrocious as Sonic Free Riders, but it's pretty mediocre. The supporting characters return the from previous game Sonic Heroes and they're not that much different their previous roles. The gameplay was cluttered and slippery. The game feels like you"re running on thin ice. And oh don't get me started on the endings. I honestly got more enjoyment out of Sonic 06'. But at the very least this game did help us find THAT DAMN 4TH CHAOS EMERALD. Final Score 38/100 Expand

1. From its stripping down of the series' most successful gameplay elements to its obviously desperate addition of weapons and 'street' cool this is still a product of a development studio with a good imagination. But also, it seems, a lazy one only too happy to jump on the same GTA bandwagon that's currently carrying way too many developers.
  2. The poor controls, tricky camera and an irritation-filled gaming experience is unfortunately what Shadow the Hedgehog is presented as, and this doesn't deserve to be found under too many Christmas tree's this year.
  3. An enjoyable, high-octane adventure. Naysayers be damned. [Jan 2006, p.111]