• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jan 27, 2003
9.3

1. Jan 30, 2011
    Skies of Arcadia is nothing short of a masterpiece. I'm not even sure where to start. Everything from the bright colorful visuals with in a charming world with distinct towns and cities. The soundtrack while slightly gimped on the GC version (DC version is superior in this aspect), is the best I have ever heard in a video game. For example the boss battle music will actually shiftSkies of Arcadia is nothing short of a masterpiece. I'm not even sure where to start. Everything from the bright colorful visuals with in a charming world with distinct towns and cities. The soundtrack while slightly gimped on the GC version (DC version is superior in this aspect), is the best I have ever heard in a video game. For example the boss battle music will actually shift depending on how well (or bad) the fight is going for you. I sometimes found my self just hanging around town so I could listen to the music. The characters are lovable and interesting and I found my self so into their stories and the story at large that I sometimes had to just put the controller down so I didn't rush through the game.

Phew, I haven't even talked about game play yet. It is a standard old school JRPG and if I could get one complaint out of the way is that the random battles can sometimes get excessive. Other than that the gameplay uses a unique system where all the characters share a single action bar with different moves and attacks subtracting from that bar. Special attacks have some great visuals and it's satisfying finishing off a boss with them. I really could go on and on about this game. Go on Ebay and buy either the GC or DC version and play it, if you are even a remote fan of RPG/JRPGS you will not be disappointed
  2. RaddyG.
    Dec 4, 2009
    The measure of a game is taken twofold, first, in how well one becomes immersed in the setting, and second, the amount that it makes you want to keep playing. On both fronts, this is the best game I have ever played.
  3. Oct 6, 2011
    Can you name a more exciting JRPG with twists and turns at every corner? Skies of Arcadia is a game that pulls off everything flawlessly: the writing, gameplay, visual style, music, and last but not least, the controls. And as a port of the underrated Dreamcast version, Skies of Arcadia: Legends improves upon the story by adding a new side-quest. So do yourself a favor and pick up thisCan you name a more exciting JRPG with twists and turns at every corner? Skies of Arcadia is a game that pulls off everything flawlessly: the writing, gameplay, visual style, music, and last but not least, the controls. And as a port of the underrated Dreamcast version, Skies of Arcadia: Legends improves upon the story by adding a new side-quest. So do yourself a favor and pick up this rare gem today! Expand
  4. DavidA.
    Apr 22, 2006
    Really good but they could have added voice.
  5. TomR.
    Aug 16, 2007
    This is my absolute favourite game ever. I've been around for every gaming system, and owned them all. I've played a majority of the games for them all. The story line is exciting, adventurous, creative, and even romantic. The characters make me disappointed in my friends. The setting inspires me. The gameplay is easy to learn, but hard to perfect. And when I thought that the This is my absolute favourite game ever. I've been around for every gaming system, and owned them all. I've played a majority of the games for them all. The story line is exciting, adventurous, creative, and even romantic. The characters make me disappointed in my friends. The setting inspires me. The gameplay is easy to learn, but hard to perfect. And when I thought that the random battles got boring, lo! The programmer endowed the game with the "white map." There's a checks-and-balance system in the game. It is the perfect game. I need a sequel. Expand
  6. TonyR.
    May 15, 2003
    I thought it was a great game cause you dont see that many games with that setting so i though it was good the characters are cool and the plot was exiting kept you busy all the time.
  7. JordanB.
    Jun 28, 2003
    The story, gameplay, and characters are great. The story grabs your interest at the very beginning of the game and just gets better as you go on. The gameplay is easy and still fun. The character's are more believable than most RPG characters. The random battles make this game annoying at times. Sometimes, while playing, I'll get in a fight, win, and on the world map again, I The story, gameplay, and characters are great. The story grabs your interest at the very beginning of the game and just gets better as you go on. The gameplay is easy and still fun. The character's are more believable than most RPG characters. The random battles make this game annoying at times. Sometimes, while playing, I'll get in a fight, win, and on the world map again, I look at the map and realize I'm going the wrong way, and I get attacked again before I finish turning around. The places the characters tell you to go are sometimes extremely hard to find. For example, in Ixa'Taka, I spent about 2 hours(not all at once of course) trying to find the stupid city of Rixis! Also the time era sometimes is confusing. At the beginning, you see the futuristic shipa shooting at eachother, and then you see your character with a sword. You leave the futuristicness and go to a small island where all the girls are wearing dresses, they all have gardens, and everything is all medieval again for a long time. Then, much later, you get a party member with a gun after having swords and boomerangs for so long. It's confusing. Expand
  8. Balderman
    Jan 15, 2003
    This game is s0o0o0o0o fun, i think im only halfway thru, and its taken me 20 hours to get here!! I love everything about it: graphix, controls, stroryline. Its an all out Gamecube classic!!
    Feb 7, 2003
    Insanely fun, and a great RPG!!
  10. JonathanP.
    Feb 8, 2003
    The original Skies of Arcadia was easily the best RPG of all-time (along with having 60+ hour of gameplay) and this update only furthers that. A definite 10/10 and one of the best games ever released.
  11. ShawnT.
    Mar 8, 2003
    Best rpg i have ever played.
  12. RenuelP.
    Feb 14, 2003
    Little slow at first, but slowly builds up. This one is a classic. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.
  13. Nick
    Feb 27, 2003
    Awesome graphics.
  14. MarioD.
    Aug 19, 2003
    A kind of windwaker, this is a great game!
  15. ChrisS.
    Feb 21, 2003
    This is a very bitch'n game I just hope for a part 2 in the future and if so it could beat ffx or xenosaga!
  16. RyanT.
    Apr 30, 2003
    Amazing all i can say.
  17. Eric
    Feb 10, 2003
    If you loved the DC version then this game is literally a Director's Cut with slightly upgraded graphics, added content and only one disc to contend with. If you've never played the earlier version and you like RPGs then this is the only real RPG on the Gamecube. Get it, get over the graphics and pay attention to the story because it's actually not bad.
  18. JohnY.
    Mar 2, 2003
    This game is better than final fantasy by tenfold.
  19. DustinM.
    Apr 21, 2003
    Sure it doesn't have the best graphics but if your looking for those go see CG movie. It's nice to see there are game makers that are not afraid to go against the tiresome RPG trend.
  20. Michael
    Feb 25, 2003
    The ultimate turn based battle RPG ever "I love this game". "it's really cool" (in the words of my friends)
  21. Spiner
    Mar 5, 2003
    This game rivals FFX because of story and gameplay why? Because of never ending gameplay, there's side quest (which seem to go on and on) when you first start off your map is huge, but as you go on the map keeps growing. I spent a whole week playing from morning to night every day and I only was only 4/11 of the way through the game! You start of with a small ship but late into the This game rivals FFX because of story and gameplay why? Because of never ending gameplay, there's side quest (which seem to go on and on) when you first start off your map is huge, but as you go on the map keeps growing. I spent a whole week playing from morning to night every day and I only was only 4/11 of the way through the game! You start of with a small ship but late into the game you get this huge ship with a hyper moon beam cannon that knocks the crap out of stuff and the story line will keep you in for more play. Basically if your looking for a RPG that you'll never get bored of very fun for a long time and non stop adventure with mabey 100+ hours of gaming then this is a must for all you FF freaks and RPG gamers. Expand
  22. Jon
    Jan 13, 2004
    One of the best rpg's I've ever played, competing very closely with the final fantasy series.
  23. KieronG.RAAAAAT
    Apr 21, 2004
    The best rpg ever. Just brilliant! I am a rat and i believe that it takes very very long to complete!!! Excellent!! CHEESE CHEESE!!!!
  24. EricL.
    Apr 29, 2004
    One of my top 4 gamecube rpg's.
  25. JohnC.
    Jun 28, 2004
    Best rpg ever!!! in depth story and characters. its just so easy to get hooked to it. theres hours of gameplay. its a game you shouldnt miss out on and saga should bring out a sequel.
  26. J.D.Ronne
    Nov 4, 2004
    This is the second best RPG I have ever played, beaten only by Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. With an enchanting story, addicting battle scenes, and a great RPG feel, the only things I can think of that can be better, would be to make it an E3 RPG. Also, a better title theme should be included. Quick! Call Koji Kondo!
  27. RaineyS.
    Nov 24, 2004
    Despite the ridiculous amount of random battles and the horribly long, I mean hours long, ship battles...This game kicks ass! The characters are fun and so is the plot. Plus there are lots of things to keep you occupied other than damn ship battles, and once you get far enough you can avoid random battles! For the most part.
  28. LonnieB.
    Dec 24, 2004
    The most fun I've ever had!!!!
  29. Mr.Smith
    Jun 20, 2005
    Really an awesome game that no one should miss.
  30. JordanG
    Sep 21, 2009
    Best RPG experience ever? Yes. I admit I haven't played much Final Fantasy, as sad as it may seem, but from my experiences Skies of Arcadia Legends is just the most fun I have ever had in an RPG. People criticise the story, but I enjoyed it, and the combat system is amazing, you find yourself strategising so much that you forget it's a turn-based RPG at all! Oh and the air ship Best RPG experience ever? Yes. I admit I haven't played much Final Fantasy, as sad as it may seem, but from my experiences Skies of Arcadia Legends is just the most fun I have ever had in an RPG. People criticise the story, but I enjoyed it, and the combat system is amazing, you find yourself strategising so much that you forget it's a turn-based RPG at all! Oh and the air ship combat system is one of the most unique and engaging experiences I ever played through. They are a game in themselves. Expand
  31. May 15, 2012
    Simply a masterpiece. The sound track, the visuals, the RPG aspects of it... it's all.... so perfectly blended together. This is actually my favorite game. I think I played through this like... 5 times.
  32. May 17, 2012
    This is a great game. The huge, open world gives a very non-linear feel to a genre drenched in linearity. The battle system is turn based, although the tactics and planning it gives room to make the system very exciting. The game is massive, the gameplay is addictive, the writing is fun and interesting. It's a shame it stay to so many tropes of the genre, but for newcomers it is aThis is a great game. The huge, open world gives a very non-linear feel to a genre drenched in linearity. The battle system is turn based, although the tactics and planning it gives room to make the system very exciting. The game is massive, the gameplay is addictive, the writing is fun and interesting. It's a shame it stay to so many tropes of the genre, but for newcomers it is a revelation. I may have a pair of nostalgia goggles on, since this is one of the first JRPGs I played, but give this game a chance. It's a keeper. Expand
  33. May 19, 2012
    Skies of Arcadia is without a doubt the absolute greatest game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The music is incredible, the graphics are still quite nice today, the storyline is simply a glorious masterpiece of gaming, the characters are fantastic, the combat is fun, and the setting is nothing short of immersive. The music is slightly altered in the Gamecube version, but it stillSkies of Arcadia is without a doubt the absolute greatest game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The music is incredible, the graphics are still quite nice today, the storyline is simply a glorious masterpiece of gaming, the characters are fantastic, the combat is fun, and the setting is nothing short of immersive. The music is slightly altered in the Gamecube version, but it still sounds nice. In short, this game is one of the greatest games ever made, and you are doing yourself a favour by playing it. Expand
  34. May 29, 2012
    Perfection A++++++ this game is incredible one of the best or perhaps the best RPG I have ever played. Of all the video games I have played this is the only one that I never wanted to conclude. Skies has all the ingredients to be by far the best GameCube game. There must be a sequel for this game gladly would pay $100 for it.
  35. Oct 28, 2014
    The greatness of this game caught me off guard. Had it on my collection for some months and one day decided to give it a shot, WOW. Best RPG on the gamecube? This is a port of the original from the sega dreamcast, i've read everything is better except the music who knows...
    The thing is this is a must play rpg, go get a cube and find this game if you haven't played it, is charming and does everything well.
    Appart from the usual turnbased battle mode and nice exploration on a airship, you have to do air battles that can take 30mins or more to complete! Characters are great too. One of the most beautiful endings as well.

100% recommended!
  36. Jan 30, 2011

1. A one-time sleeper hit [has] evolved into a bona fide classic. Quite possibly the finest next-gen RPG thus far. [Feb 2003, p.70]
  2. If you're looking for an enjoyable but fairly traditional RPG with a cracking storyline and likeable characters, Skies of Arcadia Legends comes about as highly recommended as any game can.
  3. A definitive RPG. This is the killer RPG app for GameCube. No, it isn't "Final Fantasy" (nor does it try to be), but in this writer's opinion, it's something even better.